[ANNOUNCE] The First Annual Text Art Show (Juried)

Doeadeer3

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
In light of recent discussions about interactive-fiction being like text
sculpture,

Announcing the First Annual Text Art Show (Juried).

This is a text "art" show, but it will be juried, so first place, second and
third place will be announced.

Primary purpose, to explore the two (three) dimensionality of IF.

1. No actual graphics can be included (only applies to Tads and to some
others).
2. All entries must be original works.
3. "Playable" in less than 1/2 hour to 45 minutes max.
4. Your exploration can be: an object, scenery and/or a NPC. But only one of
the three. If an object or scenery (i.e., rooms), a max. of three objects or
rooms. Subobjects (parts of objects) are okay. If a NPC, just one.
5. Should be basically plotless and puzzleless (but an introduction and
motivation for exploring the objects, rooms or interacting with the character
can be provided).
6. How you explore this, how you try to achieve the illusion that the object(s)
you are describing with text (or animating) is actually three dimensional, is
up to you.
7. All entries will be posted on my web page for a two week "Art Show" after
April 23rd (by then I should have my webpage up.)
8. If entering, please email me a few weeks before so I will know if this
contest is going to fly or fizzle.
6. The deadline is midnight April 23rd.

That's it.

Some rules may be subject to slight changes (considering I just thought this
up.)

Does anyone have a prize they would like to donate for first place? (If not, I
will think of something.)

Does anyone want to be a juror? (I need five in addition to myself.)

(This is probably a dumb idea but everyone else is doing these short contests
and this suddenly occurred to me. The deadline is delayed one week longer than
I would have liked because of the USA tax deadline in April, not to mention
Easter earlier in the month, but I guess I just mentioned it.)

Doe :-)

(Anyway have a first place prize they want to donate? If not I will think of
something.)
Doe doea...@aol.com (formerly known as FemaleDeer)
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain

Doeadeer3

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
>4. Your exploration can be: an object, scenery and/or a NPC.

Should only read as or not and/or.

Sowwy.

Doe :-)

John Escobedo

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
I hope this doesn't result in
a submission of 300 ansi art text files.

John

Doeadeer3

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
>Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] The First Annual Text Art Show (Juried)
>From: "John Escobedo" <john...@earthlink.net>
>Date: 3/7/99 8:24 AM Pacific Standard Time
>I hope this doesn't result in
>a submission of 300 ansi art text files.
>

>John

LOL.

I am still refining the rules and will repost them when they are more finalized
(because there will have to be more specific limits for each type of entry and
some way to indicate an "end game/finish" to each exploration, but I would
rather discuss those with a jury panel before repost), however I wlll make that
sure is included, no ASCII art.

I am talking touchie, feelie, smelly, etc.

Doe :-) Like old socks.

Timothy Howe

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
A friend and I would be interested in entering this contest. I have
one question, however: Are you talking about literal 3-dimensional or
simply depth of creativity? Either way, it sounds interesting.

I look forward to finding out and getting started on my entry.

--
Timothy Howe
tim...@bigfoot.com

Doeadeer3

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
>A friend and I would be interested in entering this contest. I have
>one question, however: Are you talking about literal 3-dimensional or
>simply depth of creativity? Either way, it sounds interesting.

Literal 3-dimension depth: maybe you can eat an object, take it apart, it does
something to something else, it connects to another object, it does something
to you, you do something to it. (Just talking about the object choice above,
not the scenery or NPC choice.) You are only limited in your exploration by
the IF programming language you use.

Examples will be given later, but how well it is done will demostrate a depth
of creativity too. :-)

Although, I hope experienced IF authors enter, this would also be a place for
people who would never/or haven't yet written a full-blown game (mini, short,
or novel length), because of having to contruct a plot and puzzles, to explore
the 3-dimensionality of IF (the "interactivity" as it has been called
sometimes), get their feet wet and maybe show us all something new.

Guidelines/rules will be more firmed up within several days.

Later, Doe :-) The medium is the message.

Knight37

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
That's precisely what I was thinking of when I started reading the post.
Later I decided she didn't mean that, but I wasn't real clear on what it
is a contestant was supposed to do either. :)

knight37

John Escobedo wrote in message <7bu8mn$due$1...@fir.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

>I hope this doesn't result in
>a submission of 300 ansi art text files.
>

>John
>

>Doeadeer3 wrote in message
<19990307030530...@ng-fb1.aol.com>...
>>>4. Your exploration can be: an object, scenery and/or a NPC.
>>
>>Should only read as or not and/or.
>>
>>Sowwy.
>>
>>Doe :-)

Doeadeer3

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
>Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] The First Annual Text Art Show (Juried)
>From: "Knight37" <knig...@flash.SPAMBLOCKA.net>
>Date: 3/7/99 5:18 PM Pacific Standard Time

>That's precisely what I was thinking of when I started reading the post.
>Later I decided she didn't mean that, but I wasn't real clear on what it
>is a contestant was supposed to do either. :)

I don't think it is clear because you are not used to looking at IF this way.
Because the idea of no plot and no puzzles is sort of strange.

But the highlight is supposed to be on the 3-dimensionality. Within that
framework, an object could destroy another object (laser gun), etc. Daemons,
timers, etc. could be used.

But I will be VERY, VERY specific about what each choice involves so there will
be no confusion. Just give me a few days.

We're talking text sculpture, making something in IF seem very 3-dimensional
(an attribute already present in IF, but not always explored for it's own sake
or to see how far we can take it or how realistic we can make it), not ASCII
art. This involves text descriptions and thinking how we are going to present
an object, what it can do -- how we can play with it. How it interacts with
other objects and the player, etc.

It's so simple you may not get it. But as we head toward more puzzleless IF it
is worthwhile exploring the IF "medium" itself more. It is also worthwhile
exploring just to explore and see what emerges.

Later, Doe :-)

Joe Mason

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
Doeadeer3 <doea...@aol.com> wrote:

>>That's precisely what I was thinking of when I started reading the post.
>>Later I decided she didn't mean that, but I wasn't real clear on what it
>>is a contestant was supposed to do either. :)
>>

>I don't think it is clear because you are not used to looking at IF this way.
>Because the idea of no plot and no puzzles is sort of strange.

I see what you're trying to do, and I'd love to give this a shot. But I've
promised myself I'd buckle down and finish my WIP, and not let anything
distract me.

You're looking for an item to be modelled in text, right? A complete
recreation of an item, location or NPC in text, with the focus being not on
a plot or puzzles involving that item, but on giving the reader a feel for the
item. (At first I thought this would involve modelling the item realistically,
but it doesn't really: it might be even more effective to give an impressionist
view of the object.)

Joe
--
For example, in a mystery or horror game, each door is an unknown.
"What's behind... THIS door?" "Uh, a bathroom?" "Well... what's in

green_g...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
In article <19990307030018...@ng-fb1.aol.com>,
doea...@aol.com (Doeadeer3) wrote:
> Announcing the First Annual Text Art Show (Juried).

Cool idea Doe!

Would anyone happen to know if entry of a favored object from ones WIP would
disqualify said game from the Comp?

Kathleen -- yeh, my game is probably too big for the comp anyway... oh well,
its still a good question! :)

-- Excuse me while I dance a little jig of despair.

Doeadeer3

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
>ubject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] The First Annual Text Art Show (Juried)
>From: green_g...@my-dejanews.com
>Date: 3/8/99 9:52 AM Pacific Standard Time

>Cool idea Doe!
>
>Would anyone happen to know if entry of a favored object from ones WIP would
>disqualify said game from the Comp?
>
>Kathleen -- yeh, my game is probably too big for the comp anyway... oh well,
>its still a good question! :)

Nope q. Not if your "game" hasn't been released yet.

It may even help you to focus on that object so you can develop it more fully
outside of it's normal "game" enviroment.

Good q, thanks for asking it.