Nick Montfort's New Book

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Al

unread,
Sep 27, 2003, 9:24:33 AM9/27/03
to
Any one have any new info on when Nick Montfort's new
book on IF is coming out?


Daniel Phillips

unread,
Sep 27, 2003, 11:57:43 AM9/27/03
to
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:24:33 -0600, Al <radi...@qadas.com> wrote:

>Any one have any new info on when Nick Montfort's new
>book on IF is coming out?
>
>
>

Amazon shows it as being released in January 2004 under the title
_Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction_. It
looks great, thanks for the tip.

Perhaps you or others here might be interested, also, in a book that
has been getting a fair amount of publicity in other places. I think
I saw it mentioned on an IF site somewhere, too. I looked at the
excerpts, held a copy and read the history pages, and was quite
impressed. 50.00 new, of course, is far too much money at the moment
even for such a good book.

_Designing Virtual Worlds_ by Richard Bartle. Maybe it has some
interest to you IF authors out there.
Daniel Phillips
bandi...@toppler.zworg.com
[+]bandito[-]spam = [-]toppler.[+]zworg.com
Be warned, may mistakingly bounce back as spam.

David A. Cornelson

unread,
Sep 27, 2003, 12:36:29 PM9/27/03
to
"Daniel Phillips" <bandi...@toppler.zworg.com> wrote in message
news:cqbbnvc8c0rg2upbm...@4ax.com...

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:24:33 -0600, Al <radi...@qadas.com> wrote:
>
> >Any one have any new info on when Nick Montfort's new
> >book on IF is coming out?
> >
> >
> >
> Amazon shows it as being released in January 2004 under the title
> _Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction_. It
> looks great, thanks for the tip.
>
> Perhaps you or others here might be interested, also, in a book that
> has been getting a fair amount of publicity in other places. I think
> I saw it mentioned on an IF site somewhere, too. I looked at the
> excerpts, held a copy and read the history pages, and was quite
> impressed. 50.00 new, of course, is far too much money at the moment
> even for such a good book.
>
> _Designing Virtual Worlds_ by Richard Bartle. Maybe it has some
> interest to you IF authors out there.

And yet another IF book is on the horizon. The IF Theory book (working
title) is in the editing stages and then will go through book designing, and
then publishing. No date is set, but we're hopeful that it won't be too much
longer. The IF Theory book will sell for an estimated $10 plus shipping and
handling.

Dave


Al

unread,
Sep 27, 2003, 3:07:56 PM9/27/03
to
Daniel Phillips wrote:

>
> Amazon shows it as being released in January 2004 under the title
> _Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction_. It
> looks great, thanks for the tip.
>
> Perhaps you or others here might be interested, also, in a book that
> has been getting a fair amount of publicity in other places. I think
> I saw it mentioned on an IF site somewhere, too. I looked at the
> excerpts, held a copy and read the history pages, and was quite
> impressed. 50.00 new, of course, is far too much money at the moment
> even for such a good book.
>

I'm interested in the $50.00 book. WILL pay the amount. And BTW
I don't use AMAZON DOT BOMB since I don't have any slave (oops! credit)
cards. Hope Nick will make it available by mail order from him or
maybe Dave Cornelson's site.


Al


Nick Montfort

unread,
Sep 27, 2003, 4:11:30 PM9/27/03
to
Yes, I have some information on that.

I think, despite the January 2004 release date on the MIT Press
website, that Twisty Little Passages will probably be printed and
bound by the end of this November and will make it to warehouses and
bookstores sometime in December 2003. However, I haven't been told any
specific date that the book will be available.

-Nick

Daniel Phillips

unread,
Sep 27, 2003, 4:41:44 PM9/27/03
to

Hmm....well, so you're interested in both the books? The 50.00 one is
_Designing Virtual Worlds_ by Richard Bartle. Sorry if my signature
got in the way; I'm working on that. As for the credit card problems,
my branch of Barnes and Noble had a copy of Bartle's book in the Game
Design section, and I enjoyed looking through it while in their cafe.

The history section in it was really what I was after for that time
being. It covered a time line from about 1979 to the early 90's,
tracing the history of networked and multiplayer games, and I believe
it also had a small tidbit dealing with its sibling (or cousin?),
Interactive Fiction.

I would be inclined to think Nick Montfort's book is a better deal,
though. It looked to me as though all of the books in the series that
_DVW_ belongs to are all outrageously expensive. Guess I should blame
the publisher and series.

Looking forward to Montfort's book. There needs to be more books on
game design and theory.

MArmin

unread,
Sep 27, 2003, 4:45:27 PM9/27/03
to
You can avoid Amazon by purchasing directly from The MIT Press, Nick's
publisher:

http://www-mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=F7AA2CBB-4D21-44FB-A247-25DC61CC7FEF&ttype=2&tid=9907

I can't recall if they offer alternate payment options, however, as I placed
my order a few months ago.

Regards,

Mischa


"Al" <radi...@qadas.com> wrote in message
news:3F75E00B...@qadas.com...

Glenn P.,

unread,
Sep 28, 2003, 1:53:00 AM9/28/03
to
On 27-Sep-03 at 7:24am -0600, <radi...@qadas.com> wrote:

> Any one have any new info on when Nick Montfort's new
> book on IF is coming out?

What new book? Title, please? What's it about???

--_____ _____
{~._.~} * >>> [ "Glenn P.," <C128UserD...@FVI.Net> ] <<< * {~._.~}
_( Y )_ /| --------------------------------------------- |\ _( Y )_
(:_~*~_:)\| "Babies in the sea? Well, perhaps it is the happiest |/(:_~*~_:)
(_)-(_) * place for them..." --"The Water-Babies" (1863). * (_)-(_)

:: Take Note Of The Spam Block On My E-Mail Address! ::

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Glenn P.,

unread,
Sep 28, 2003, 2:09:35 AM9/28/03
to
On 27-Sep-03 at 1:07pm -0600, <radi...@qadas.com> wrote:

> ...I don't use AMAZON DOT BOMB since I don't have any slave (oops!
> credit) cards...

You don't need any. You can establish a deposit account with them, if you
want, though that's somethig of a hassle. Less extremely, you can use a
debit card instead of a credit card; works perfectly. PayPal offers debit
cards free of charge (though to be fair, the PayPal account itself is not
free).

Daniel Phillips

unread,
Sep 28, 2003, 1:57:20 PM9/28/03
to

I think he's talking about this one, am I correct?

_Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction_

Daniel Phillips

Glenn P.,

unread,
Sep 28, 2003, 4:52:27 PM9/28/03
to
> I think he's talking about this one, am I correct?

> _Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction_

Yes, thanks! I saw it in given in subsequent messages. :)

-- %%%%%%%% "Glenn P.," <C128UserD...@FVI.Net> %%%%%%%
==========================================================
"Cirrus... Socrates... Particle... Decibel... Hurricane...
Dolphin... Tulip... Monica... David... Monica."
----------------------------------
--David's Imprinting Protocol,
"A.I.: Artificial Intelligence".

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages