[Inform] Two-way radio problem.

3 views
Skip to first unread message

George Caswell

unread,
Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98
to

Hi. One or two of you (J. Holder comes to mind) may remember my game
project from a few years back that included, among other things, a plan for a
huge, and most likely unusable, movement system, and robotic ExoFrames
(somewhat like the loader/lifter from _Aliens_). Well, I've decided to start
that project up again. (probably without the movement and scoping system. :)
)

One of the things I want to implement for the game is a two-way radio,
which would allow the player (with one radio) to talk to a talkable or animate
object (with another radio). I think I can handle the actual communication,
the problem, I think, is scope. It wouldn't make too much sense however you
slice it to say "radio, hello" when you want to talk to the character (or one
of the characters) at the other end. It would be rather annoying to have to
say "radio, say hello to gary" or 'say "gary, hello" into radio', especially
if the player finds the need to use the radio frequently, or repeatedly.

What I'd -like- is something like this. (PC is alone in a room, has the
radio. Billy has a radio which is on, gary has no radio)

>gary, hi.
Not here.
>Turn radio on.
Radio crackles to life.
>gary, hi.
There's no answer.
>nonexistant, hello.
There's no answer.
>Billy, hi.
<psshk> "Hi!" <bi-beep>
>Billy, die.
<psshk> "Sure, no prob-- hey, waitaminit!!" <bi-beep>

That is, when the radio is on and in use, you can try to talk to anyone or
anything in the game. Attempts to talk to something that isn't in physical
scope will result in an attempt to perform the conversation over the radio.
I'm not sure how to put all this stuff in scope, much less how to make it
talkable but not physically accessible, visible, etc. (I suppose while the
radio's on I could change the default failed talk message to 'no reply', set
up one transparent object with all the radio talkers in scope, and put -that-
in scope when the radio's on.... hmmmm...)

Suggestions/ideas/coding ideas for the two-way radio are appreciated.
Thanks.
________________________________________________
______________ _/> ____ | George Caswell: WPI CS'99. Member of SOMA team |
<___ _________// _/<_ / | LnL Projectionist-in-action! Linux+PC hobbyist.|
// <> ___ < > / _/ | "Cue!" -HP "Did you just say 'cue!'??" -CC |
// /> / / _/ / / <____ | "Yes I did..." -HP "Shit!" -CC |
// </ <<</ < _/ <______/ |_For more info see http://www.wpi.edu/~timbuktu_|
</ </

PGP 2.6.2 public key print D9 88 A0 53 DC 7E 66 F1 B7 44 D1 7E 48 95 D8 E0


Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98
to

George Caswell (timb...@adamant.res.wpi.net) wrote:

> One of the things I want to implement for the game is a two-way radio,
> which would allow the player (with one radio) to talk to a talkable or animate
> object (with another radio). I think I can handle the actual communication,
> the problem, I think, is scope. It wouldn't make too much sense however you
> slice it to say "radio, hello" when you want to talk to the character (or one
> of the characters) at the other end. It would be rather annoying to have to
> say "radio, say hello to gary" or 'say "gary, hello" into radio', especially
> if the player finds the need to use the radio frequently, or repeatedly.

> [...]


> That is, when the radio is on and in use, you can try to talk to anyone or
> anything in the game. Attempts to talk to something that isn't in physical
> scope will result in an attempt to perform the conversation over the radio.
> I'm not sure how to put all this stuff in scope, much less how to make it
> talkable but not physically accessible, visible, etc. (I suppose while the
> radio's on I could change the default failed talk message to 'no reply', set
> up one transparent object with all the radio talkers in scope, and put -that-
> in scope when the radio's on.... hmmmm...)

I like that last suggestion. I think that's how I'd try to do it.

You can also screw with the global scope entry point InScope(), when
scope_reason == TALKING_REASON. (That's the value reserved for this case,
when the parser is looking for an object to match "x" in an "x, y"
command.)

Exercise 31 in the DM does something very similar.

--Z

--

"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the
borogoves..."

George Caswell

unread,
Apr 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/22/98
to

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> > That is, when the radio is on and in use, you can try to talk to anyone or
> > anything in the game. Attempts to talk to something that isn't in physical
> > scope will result in an attempt to perform the conversation over the radio.
> > I'm not sure how to put all this stuff in scope, much less how to make it
> > talkable but not physically accessible, visible, etc. (I suppose while the
> > radio's on I could change the default failed talk message to 'no reply', set
> > up one transparent object with all the radio talkers in scope, and put -that-
> > in scope when the radio's on.... hmmmm...)
>
> I like that last suggestion. I think that's how I'd try to do it.
>
> You can also screw with the global scope entry point InScope(), when
> scope_reason == TALKING_REASON. (That's the value reserved for this case,
> when the parser is looking for an object to match "x" in an "x, y"
> command.)
>
> Exercise 31 in the DM does something very similar.
>

Ah, groovy... thanks for the help...

GLYPH

unread,
Apr 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/23/98
to

George Caswell wrote:

> What I'd -like- is something like this. (PC is alone in a room, has the
> radio. Billy has a radio which is on, gary has no radio)
>
> >gary, hi.
> Not here.
> >Turn radio on.
> Radio crackles to life.
> >gary, hi.
> There's no answer.
> >nonexistant, hello.
> There's no answer.
> >Billy, hi.
> <psshk> "Hi!" <bi-beep>
> >Billy, die.
> <psshk> "Sure, no prob-- hey, waitaminit!!" <bi-beep>

Way cool.


> Suggestions/ideas/coding ideas for the two-way radio are appreciated.
> Thanks.

That be a quick and easy hack to the library. But, then again, I seem
to be one of the few who have no compunctions with hacking the library.

See my neato hack package at:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/9315/infoglf2.zip
which allows stuff like "open the closed box, take and open the book and
put it into the box"

- GLYPH

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages