'Places' verb

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Mark Bijster

unread,
Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97
to

Bonjour,

Does the 'places'-verb, supplied with the INFORM-libary, only print ROOMS,
or does it also mention containers the player's been in ?

I've been working on an implementation of both the 'places' and the
'objects' verb for HUGO.

The question (in HUGO-speak) is whether 'places' only mentions children
of 'nothing' that have been visited or also mentions container etc.

(BTW: Both ways are easy. If anyone requests them, I'll upload them)

Greetings from someone who has been (t)here.


--
Mark Bijster 'No-one is perfect in this unperfect world'
ma...@sci.kun.nl -Ziggy Marley-
University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
http://www.cs.kun.nl/is/edu/stl/markb/markb.html

Julian Arnold

unread,
Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97
to

In article <5ifsc3$ouu$1...@studs2.sci.kun.nl>, Mark Bijster

<URL:mailto:ma...@sci.kun.nl> wrote:
>
> Bonjour,
>
> Does the 'places'-verb, supplied with the INFORM-libary, only print ROOMS,
> or does it also mention containers the player's been in ?

Rooms only, I think.

> I've been working on an implementation of both the 'places' and the
> 'objects' verb for HUGO.
>
> The question (in HUGO-speak) is whether 'places' only mentions children
> of 'nothing' that have been visited or also mentions container etc.
>
> (BTW: Both ways are easy. If anyone requests them, I'll upload them)

How about an output like this:
>PLACES
You have visited:
Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe
Amongst The Sausage Trees (on a purple space-hopper, in the
scrapple-powered automobile)
In A Beckett Play

IOW, if the player has visited a location in a vehicle or other
container, print the location name, followed by the vehicle name in
parentheses. If he has been in more than one vehicle in a location, as
above, print a list. Or actually, mentioning vehicles is probably too
cumbersome (think if you'd ridden the hopper around many locations), so
I'd advise against it.

So upload, don't wait for requests! Although personally I dislike the
commands (PLACES most), other people might not.

> Greetings from someone who has been (t)here.

(W)here is (t)here.

Jools
--
"For small erections may be finished by their first architects; grand
ones, true ones, ever leave the copestone to posterity. God keep me
from ever completing anything." -- Herman Melville, "Moby Dick"


Daniel R. Lackey

unread,
Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97
to

Julian Arnold wrote:
>
> In article <5ifsc3$ouu$1...@studs2.sci.kun.nl>, Mark Bijster
> <URL:mailto:ma...@sci.kun.nl> wrote:
> > Does the 'places'-verb, supplied with the INFORM-libary, only print ROOMS,
> > or does it also mention containers the player's been in ?
>
> Rooms only, I think.

You are indeed correct.

> "For small erections may be finished by their first architects; grand
> ones, true ones, ever leave the copestone to posterity. God keep me
> from ever completing anything." -- Herman Melville, "Moby Dick"

You know, if you didn't have this as your .sig, I might consider adopting
it... =)

Of course, I might just do that, and then change my name to Julian. Why
should the fun only be limited to Stephens and Neils?

--
daniel r. lackey standing in government denies knowledge
jmdre...@earthlink.net the shadows XVI. the tower
===============================================================================
"God is dead." -- F.W. Nietzsche
"He's not dead, he's... pining for the fjords!" -- M. Palin

Julian Brown

unread,
Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97
to

In article <334CD3...@earthlink.net>, "Daniel R. Lackey"
<jmdre...@earthlink.net> writes

>
>Julian Arnold wrote:
>> "For small erections may be finished by their first architects; grand
>> ones, true ones, ever leave the copestone to posterity. God keep me
>> from ever completing anything." -- Herman Melville, "Moby Dick"
>
>You know, if you didn't have this as your .sig, I might consider adopting
>it... =)
>
>Of course, I might just do that, and then change my name to Julian. Why
>should the fun only be limited to Stephens and Neils?
>
To stop all this worrying over the proliferation of Neils and Stephens
in the group, I think we should all adopt one standard first name. And
why not Julian, a name as good as any other?
______________

Julian James Brown
jul...@highmount.demon.co.uk

Michael Kinyon

unread,
Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97
to

Julian Brown wrote:
> In article <334CD3...@earthlink.net>, "Daniel R. Lackey"
> >Julian Arnold wrote:
> >>[Jools' .sig and D.R.L.'s desire to to adopt it deleted]

> >
> >Of course, I might just do that, and then change my name to Julian. Why
> >should the fun only be limited to Stephens and Neils?
> >
> To stop all this worrying over the proliferation of Neils and Stephens
> in the group, I think we should all adopt one standard first name. And
> why not Julian, a name as good as any other?

This is starting to sound like Monty Python's "Australian philosophers
sketch". So on that note, let me propose that we all be named "Bruce".
It would make things less confusing.

As in:
"Bruce here ports Inform to various platforms; Bruce writes TADS games
and is in charge of the sheep dip; Bruce playtests and posts
off-topically to r.a.i-f."

Of course, some would argue that we already have a common surname:
Meldrew (see various vaporware threads).

So what do you think about this idea, Bruce?

Bruce

--
Michael "Bruce Meldrew" Kinyon | email: mki...@iusb.edu.delete-me
Dept. of Mathematics & Comp Sci | http://sun1.iusb.edu/~mkinyon
Indiana University South Bend | phone: (219)-237-4240
South Bend, IN 46634 | fax: (219)-237-4538

Daniel R. Lackey

unread,
Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97
to

Bruce Meldrew wrote:
>
> This is starting to sound like Monty Python's "Australian philosophers
> sketch". So on that note, let me propose that we all be named "Bruce".
> It would make things less confusing.
>
> As in:
> "Bruce here ports Inform to various platforms; Bruce writes TADS games
> and is in charge of the sheep dip; Bruce playtests and posts
> off-topically to r.a.i-f."
>
> Of course, some would argue that we already have a common surname:
> Meldrew (see various vaporware threads).
>
> So what do you think about this idea, Bruce?

Only as long as I can be the official r.a.i-f chaplain.

"O Lord, we beseech thee... Amen."

--
bruce r. meldrew standing in bruce denies knowledge
jmdre...@earthlink.net the shadows XVI. bruce
===============================================================================
"God is dead." -- B.W. Meldrew
"He's not dead, he's... pining for the fjords!" -- B. Meldrew

Julian J Musante

unread,
Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97
to

In article <LxvI0JA8BTTzEw$d...@highmount.demon.co.uk>, "Julian Brown" <jul...@highmount.demon.co.uk> writes:
> In article <334CD3...@earthlink.net>, "Daniel R. Lackey"
> <jmdre...@earthlink.net> writes
> >
> >Julian Arnold wrote:
> >> "For small erections may be finished by their first architects; grand
> >> ones, true ones, ever leave the copestone to posterity. God keep me
> >> from ever completing anything." -- Herman Melville, "Moby Dick"
> >
> >You know, if you didn't have this as your .sig, I might consider adopting
> >it... =)
> >
> >Of course, I might just do that, and then change my name to Julian. Why
> >should the fun only be limited to Stephens and Neils?
> >
> To stop all this worrying over the proliferation of Neils and Stephens
> in the group, I think we should all adopt one standard first name. And
> why not Julian, a name as good as any other?
> ______________
>
> Julian James Brown
> jul...@highmount.demon.co.uk

Well, you certainly have *me* convinced...

- Julian
(aka Stephen)
(aka Mark)

Bill Hoggett

unread,
Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97
to

On 10-Apr-97 Julian Brown <jul...@highmount.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>To stop all this worrying over the proliferation of Neils and Stephens
>in the group, I think we should all adopt one standard first name. And
>why not Julian, a name as good as any other?

Also, to avoid confusion, I propose we drop surnames and discontinue the
frivolous use of second and third Christian names. That should clear
everything up and make us all better citizens...


---
Bil...err... Julian <hog...@airtime.co.uk>

IF GOD IS LIFE'S SERVICE PROVIDER WHY HAVEN'T I GOT HIS I.P. NUMBER ?


Admiral Julian

unread,
Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97
to

Julian Brown <jul...@highmount.demon.co.uk> writes:

>"Daniel R. Lackey" <jmdre...@earthlink.net> writes:

>>Of course, I might just do that, and then change my name to Julian. Why
>>should the fun only be limited to Stephens and Neils?

>To stop all this worrying over the proliferation of Neils and Stephens


>in the group, I think we should all adopt one standard first name. And
>why not Julian, a name as good as any other?


Splendid idea!


/<-= Admiral Julian =->\
-< <-= jo...@tiac.net =-> >-
\<-=- -= -=-=- -= -=->/

Bruce Arnold

unread,
Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97
to

In article <334CD3...@earthlink.net>, Daniel R. Lackey
<URL:mailto:jmdre...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>
> Julian Arnold wrote:
> >
> > "For small erections may be finished by their first architects; grand
> > ones, true ones, ever leave the copestone to posterity. God keep me
> > from ever completing anything." -- Herman Melville, "Moby Dick"
>
> You know, if you didn't have this as your .sig, I might consider adopting
> it... =)

Problem is, that third word prompts the more immature among us to play
silly buggers (eh, Drone? :).

It has crossed my mind to donate the .sig to Whizzard...

> Of course, I might just do that, and then change my name to Julian. Why
> should the fun only be limited to Stephens and Neils?

A fine plan (on topic: then start using Hugo :).

Bruce
--

"For small erections may be finished by their first architects; grand

ones, true ones, ever leave the copestone to posterity. Bruce keep me
from ever completing anything." -- Bruce Melville, "Moby Bruce"


Joe Mason

unread,
Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97
to

"'Places' verb", declared Mark Bijster from the Vogon ship:

MB>The question (in HUGO-speak) is whether 'places' only mentions
MB>children of 'nothing' that have been visited or also mentions
MB>container etc.

MB>(BTW: Both ways are easy. If anyone requests them, I'll upload them)

Put a "PLACES_SHOWS_CONTAINERS" flag in. Then the programmer can pick
and choose at will.

Joe

ž CMPQwk 1.42 9550 žILLITERATE? Write for a free brochure...

Gerry Kevin Wilson

unread,
Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97
to

In article <334D41...@iusb.edu.delete-me>,
Bruce <mki...@iusb.edu.delete-me> wrote:

>So what do you think about this idea, Bruce?
>

>Bruce

I think it's a cracking good idea, Bruce. I'm all for it. Of course,
we'd better see what Bruce, Bruce, Bruce, Bruce, and Bruce have to say.

They Call me Bruce (Mr. Meldrew is just so...FORMAL.)
--
My new email address is: whiz...@pobox.com.
If that's too long for you, try g...@pobox.com.

Bruce of Iniquity

unread,
Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97
to

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Bruce Kinyon wrote:

>This is starting to sound like Monty Python's "Australian philosophers
>sketch". So on that note, let me propose that we all be named "Bruce".
>It would make things less confusing.

>So what do you think about this idea, Bruce?
>
>Bruce

I dunno, I'm confused enough already and I think it would get worse. I
really don't know how the Stephens and Neils cope with it - I jump every
time I think I see the word 'Den' or 'Dennis' or 'Bruce of Iniquity' in a
Reply-attribution. For some reason 'Drone' catches my eye a little too
readily. If everyone was called Bruce I'd be getting paranoid after just a
few messages.

--
Bruce Brucebots please insert '.ignore.this.Bruce' after my address.


Graham Nelson

unread,
Apr 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/17/97
to

In article <Pine.SGI.3.95L.97041...@ebor.york.ac.uk>,


Bruce of Iniquity <URL:mailto:dms...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Bruce Kinyon wrote:
>
> >This is starting to sound like Monty Python's "Australian philosophers
> >sketch". So on that note, let me propose that we all be named "Bruce".
> >It would make things less confusing.

(Bruce here teaches Hegelian philosophy, and is also in charge of
the sheep dip. Etc., etc.)

I was going to change my name to Bruce, until I came across:

"The story of King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne, for example,
dealt with King Graham having to rescue a damsel in distress
from a far-away tower. She then became so enraptured with him
that she married him on the spot."

This is the kind of thing I'm keen to encourage, and King Bruce
just doesn't have that regal tone to it.

[From Matthew Murray's vague but interesting discussion of Sierra's
point-and-click games: see

http://www.wwu.edu/~n9641343

for more. Quite worth a link for IF-reviews-and-theory pages.]

--
Graham Nelson | gra...@gnelson.demon.co.uk | Oxford, United Kingdom


Matthew Daly

unread,
Apr 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/18/97
to

In article <ant1719011cbM+4%@gnelson.demon.co.uk> Graham Nelson <gra...@gnelson.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>
>
> "The story of King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne, for example,
> dealt with King Graham having to rescue a damsel in distress
> from a far-away tower. She then became so enraptured with him
> that she married him on the spot."

ObNitpick: I think that she actually married him in the castle.

It's highly amusing to compare the endings of KQ2 (King Graham meets
a woman for the first time, and she marries him immediately), KQ6
(Prince Alexander meets a woman after two brief meetings, and she
marries him immediately), and KQ7 (Princess Whassername meets a
man after one brief meeting and she agrees to ... allow him to
court her). If ever there were a game that would benefit from
a Nice/Naughty switch (or perhaps Hypersensitive/Traditional)....

-Matthew
--
Matthew Daly I feel that if a person has problems communicating
mwd...@kodak.com the very least he can do is to shut up - Tom Lehrer

My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer, of course.

Peter Berger

unread,
Apr 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/21/97
to

In article <5j81ki$bb7$1...@kodak.rdcs.Kodak.COM>,

Matthew Daly <da...@PPD.Kodak.COM> wrote:
>It's highly amusing to compare the endings of KQ2 (King Graham meets
>a woman for the first time, and she marries him immediately), KQ6
>(Prince Alexander meets a woman after two brief meetings, and she
>marries him immediately), and KQ7 (Princess Whassername meets a
>man after one brief meeting and she agrees to ... allow him to
>court her). If ever there were a game that would benefit from
>a Nice/Naughty switch (or perhaps Hypersensitive/Traditional)....

No, no, no, Matthew. You don't understand.

They -had- to get married.


--
Pete Berger, Esq.
Coordinator, Regional Information Infrastructure
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
pet...@psc.edu http://www.psc.edu/~peterb
I don't speak for my employers, nor they for me.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages