Sequels I'd Like To See Made

6 views
Skip to first unread message

Al

unread,
Sep 7, 2006, 7:25:34 PM9/7/06
to
Since there really hasn't been a really large .z8 or .gam file posted
to the archive in ages, I've compiled a list of sequels to current IF
on the archive that I'd like to see written:

Anchorhead
Christminster
Curses
Dreamhold
Enemies
Heist
Heroine's Mantle
Jigsaw
Losing Your Grip
Savoir-Faire
LASH
Mulldoon Legacy/Murders
Photopia
Risorgimento Represso
Winchester's Nightmare

Chime in with what you'd like to see.

Adam Thornton

unread,
Sep 7, 2006, 8:30:30 PM9/7/06
to
In article <1157671534.5...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Al" <radi...@evcohs.com> wrote:

> Since there really hasn't been a really large .z8 or .gam file posted
> to the archive in ages, I've compiled a list of sequels to current IF
> on the archive that I'd like to see written:

I'm just going to chime in here with some proposed titles, for the games
I know well enough to comment on.

> Anchorhead

Anchorhead II: "Little Mikey with the Red-Rimmed Eyes" (speaking of
which: red-rimmed eyes always remind me of the AD&D Owlbear)

> Curses

Curses II: European Vacation

> Dreamhold

Dreamhold II: Constellation Boogie

> Jigsaw

Don't we have to wait until the end of the century for the sequel?
Maybe Jigsaw II: > BLACK, STOP SCREWING WITH THE TIME MACHINE

> Losing Your Grip

Losing Your Grip II: "Why the HELL Did I Start Smoking Again? Am I A
RETARD?" (alternatively "Kickin' In MORE HEADZ")

Adam

Stebbins

unread,
Sep 7, 2006, 8:44:37 PM9/7/06
to
Al wrote:
> Anchorhead
> Christminster
> Curses
> Dreamhold
> Enemies
> Heist
> Heroine's Mantle
> Jigsaw
> Losing Your Grip
> Savoir-Faire
> LASH
> Mulldoon Legacy/Murders
> Photopia
> Risorgimento Represso
> Winchester's Nightmare

What exactly would a sequel to Photopia look like? The story seemed
pretty self-contained to me, and there is no way a sequel could
possibly match Photopia in... well, everything that made it an
influential and worthwhile game in the first place.

I think it would be much more interesting to see a sequel to Varicella,
or at least a game set in the same universe (perhaps similar to
I-0/Narcolepsy in terms of connectedness).

I definitely agree with you on Dreamhold and Savoir-Faire. Sequels to
these would definitely be awesome, although I doubt Plotkin or Short
intend to make any. Unfortunately, these are the only games on the
list that I've played to completion (although most of the others have
prominent standing on my IF "To Do" list).

JDC

unread,
Sep 7, 2006, 9:24:48 PM9/7/06
to

Stebbins wrote:
> I definitely agree with you on Dreamhold and Savoir-Faire. Sequels to
> these would definitely be awesome, although I doubt Plotkin or Short
> intend to make any. Unfortunately, these are the only games on the
> list that I've played to completion (although most of the others have
> prominent standing on my IF "To Do" list).

Not a sequel, but Damnatio Memoriae is sort of a prequel to
Savoire-Faire (much shorter, of course).

-JDC

Stebbins

unread,
Sep 7, 2006, 9:49:56 PM9/7/06
to

JDC wrote:
> Not a sequel, but Damnatio Memoriae is sort of a prequel to
> Savoire-Faire (much shorter, of course).

Hmm, seems like a bit of a stretch to me. The magic system is featured
in both, but in terms of plot and style of play, the two games don't
have much in common. Both very enjoyable games, nevertheless.

JDC

unread,
Sep 8, 2006, 2:10:48 AM9/8/06
to

I guess you're right; "in the same universe" would probably be a better
way of putting it.

-JDC

Arnel Legaspi

unread,
Sep 8, 2006, 6:48:30 AM9/8/06
to
Al wrote:
> Since there really hasn't been a really large .z8 or .gam file posted
> to the archive in ages, I've compiled a list of sequels to current IF
> on the archive that I'd like to see written:

[part of the list snipped]

> Risorgimento Represso

I think the author *was* planning a sequel to the game, though he's
probably still working on it.

Neil Cerutti

unread,
Sep 8, 2006, 8:35:01 AM9/8/06
to
On 2006-09-08, Adam Thornton <ad...@fsf.net> wrote:
> In article <1157671534.5...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> "Al" <radi...@evcohs.com> wrote:
>> Since there really hasn't been a really large .z8 or .gam file
>> posted to the archive in ages, I've compiled a list of sequels
>> to current IF on the archive that I'd like to see written:
>
> I'm just going to chime in here with some proposed titles, for
> the games I know well enough to comment on.
>
>> Anchorhead
>
> Anchorhead II: "Little Mikey with the Red-Rimmed Eyes"
> (speaking of which: red-rimmed eyes always remind me of the
> AD&D Owlbear)

I'm hoping Mike will go in a different direction with this. I
want to know what happens to the orderly at the insane asylum.

>> Curses
>
> Curses II: European Vacation

I'd like to put the protaganist somewhere *really* disconcerting
and confusing, say, the Walmart in St. Albans New York.

>> Jigsaw
>
> Don't we have to wait until the end of the century for the
> sequel? Maybe Jigsaw II: > BLACK, STOP SCREWING WITH THE TIME
> MACHINE

The ambiguously sexed love story should continue with a
ambiguously sexed love-triangle. It's the only way to continue
the disturbing discussions on the topic of imaginative
sex-assignment.

I thought *I* was a man, Black was a woman, and Lee was a
lumberjack. I didn't think of my character as gay, but I found
Lee more attractive.

Interesting. I thought Black and Lee were gay lovers, and I was
a bearded woman.

>> Losing Your Grip
>
> Losing Your Grip II: "Why the HELL Did I Start Smoking Again?
> Am I A RETARD?" (alternatively "Kickin' In MORE HEADZ")

LOL!

I'd like to see what happens next in In The End. Oh, wait...

--
Neil Cerutti
I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it. --Groucho Marx

Michael Coyne

unread,
Sep 8, 2006, 10:06:09 AM9/8/06
to
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 03:48:30 -0700, Arnel Legaspi said to the parser:

> Al wrote:
>
> [part of the list snipped]
>
>> Risorgimento Represso
>
> I think the author *was* planning a sequel to the game, though he's
> probably still working on it.

Yes, still working on it.

My oldest child is 3.5 now, and we've got two others, so the amount of
time available for writing and coding is limited (you may freely read
"limited" as non-existant).

Progress is best described as slow and unsteady.

--
Michael Coyne
http://turthalion.blogspot.com

Erik Wennstrom

unread,
Sep 8, 2006, 11:37:32 AM9/8/06
to

Proper sequels aren't what I usually want to see, but sometimes I like
to see further games from the same author in using the same style,
tradition, or gameplay mechanic. E.g., one of my favorites is
Metamorphoses, and while I see no reason to return to the characters, or
even the devices of that game, I would _love_ to see another game from
Emily Short that features one or two "simple" physical manipulation
concepts that combine in fantastically different ways to allow widely
varied approaches to puzzle-solving.

But in the spirit of Adam Thornton's reply, I can't help trying to name
the sequels anyway, even for the ones I haven't played.

Most of these are so obvious that I probably don't even need to mention
which game they're a sequel to:

Hexes
Friends
Je Ne Sais Quoi
Noxopia
Conquista Medioevale

Ok, nevermind. These stink, but in true usenet tradition, I can't bring
myself not to share.

Erik

Adam Thornton

unread,
Sep 8, 2006, 2:54:14 PM9/8/06
to
In article <slrneg2os5....@FIAD06.norwich.edu>,

Neil Cerutti <hor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see what happens next in In The End. Oh, wait...

Well, I don't want to give too much away, but it even has Bonus Dorothy
Parker, and the best damn toaster-fork-interaction simulation ever!

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/mini-comps/fan-fest/ite2.zip

Adam

Mark Tilford

unread,
Sep 11, 2006, 8:15:47 AM9/11/06
to
On 2006-09-08, Adam Thornton <ad...@fsf.net> wrote:
>
>

There was also a "Jigsaw 2" in the Walkthrough Comp.

Neil Cerutti

unread,
Sep 11, 2006, 10:04:18 AM9/11/06
to
On 2006-09-11, Mark Tilford <ralphm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2006-09-08, Adam Thornton <ad...@fsf.net> wrote:
>> In article <slrneg2os5....@FIAD06.norwich.edu>,
>> Neil Cerutti <hor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I'd like to see what happens next in In The End. Oh, wait...
>>
>> Well, I don't want to give too much away, but it even has
>> Bonus Dorothy Parker, and the best damn
>> toaster-fork-interaction simulation ever!
>>
>> http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/mini-comps/fan-fest/ite2.zip
>
> There was also a "Jigsaw 2" in the Walkthrough Comp.

I've actually played _In The End II_, and even composed a patch
for it, but in the end, I never submitted it.

The toaster in the bathtub puzzle is tricky to implement. Anyone
bored and wanting a tiny project to flex your design muscles
should give it a try. Unless you don't find mock-suicide funny.

--
Neil Cerutti
All you're doing right now is just flabbergasting your mouths
because there are no solid answers right now. --Emmitt Smith

Michael Coyne

unread,
Sep 11, 2006, 11:35:05 AM9/11/06
to
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:37:32 -0400, Erik Wennstrom said to the parser:

> Conquista Medioevale
>
> Ok, nevermind. These stink, but in true usenet tradition, I can't bring
> myself not to share.

There *is* a proposed title for Risorg2, and it *is* Italian, and it's
*not* Conquista Medioevale--though that would be a great idea for a
prequel.

I'm somewhat wary of another title that makes native English
speakers go "Huh?". On the other hand, it would be pretty obvious what it
was a sequel to, whereas a more traditional title might not.

I may take the Italian title I'm thinking of, and just go with the English
equivalent... (if anyone has any opinions on this, I'd love to hear
them... did the title of Risorg make it less accessible or keep you away
from it?)....

James Cunningham

unread,
Sep 11, 2006, 12:17:04 PM9/11/06
to
On 2006-09-07 20:44:37 -0400, "Stebbins" <moja...@yahoo.com> said:

> [snip]


> What exactly would a sequel to Photopia look like? The story seemed
> pretty self-contained to me, and there is no way a sequel could
> possibly match Photopia in... well, everything that made it an
> influential and worthwhile game in the first place.

> [snip]

I've always had this fantasy for a sequel to Photopia:

Photopizza

Okay, hear me out. A clumsy waiter is carrying out a pizza cook's chef
d'oeuvre: a most magnificent mozzarella, basil, and tomato concoction.
But two rambunctious patrons have knocked back a few too many. One
pushes back his chair and hits the waiter -

The pizza flies to the floor, crashes; sauce and cheese is everywhere.

Then we're in the kitchen, right as the pizza is being made. The cook
says to the waiter: "Would you like to hear the story of how I learned
to make this pizza?"

"Not really."

"Well, we'll tell the story together."

Best,
James

mikegentry

unread,
Sep 11, 2006, 2:24:16 PM9/11/06
to

Al wrote:
> Since there really hasn't been a really large .z8 or .gam file posted
> to the archive in ages, I've compiled a list of sequels to current IF
> on the archive that I'd like to see written:
>
> Anchorhead

Anchorhead: the Expanded Director's Cut is coming first. After that
I'll be working on a *sort of* sequel. Sort of in the way that, say,
2046 is sort of a sequel to In the Mood for Love. Except hopefully
scarier.

David Librik

unread,
Sep 11, 2006, 3:31:02 PM9/11/06
to
"Al" <radi...@evcohs.com> writes:

>Since there really hasn't been a really large .z8 or .gam file posted
>to the archive in ages, I've compiled a list of sequels to current IF
>on the archive that I'd like to see written:

>Jigsaw

It'll be called HONEY, I SHRUNK THE PAST.

- David Librik
lib...@panix.com

Stebbins

unread,
Sep 11, 2006, 4:29:12 PM9/11/06
to

James Cunningham wrote:
> I've always had this fantasy for a sequel to Photopia:
>
> Photopizza
>
> Okay, hear me out. A clumsy waiter is carrying out a pizza cook's chef
> d'oeuvre: a most magnificent mozzarella, basil, and tomato concoction.
> But two rambunctious patrons have knocked back a few too many. One
> pushes back his chair and hits the waiter -
>
> The pizza flies to the floor, crashes; sauce and cheese is everywhere.
>
> Then we're in the kitchen, right as the pizza is being made. The cook
> says to the waiter: "Would you like to hear the story of how I learned
> to make this pizza?"
>
> "Not really."
>
> "Well, we'll tell the story together."

The pizza must have a special ingredient that causes psychedelic
visionary trances.

The sad thing is, I would really enjoy this game.

Al

unread,
Sep 11, 2006, 4:54:21 PM9/11/06
to
mikegentry wrote:

> Anchorhead: the Expanded Director's Cut is coming first. After that
> I'll be working on a *sort of* sequel. Sort of in the way that, say,
> 2046 is sort of a sequel to In the Mood for Love. Except hopefully
> scarier.


HOORAY ! ! ! !

Adam Thornton

unread,
Sep 11, 2006, 10:03:22 PM9/11/06
to
In article <slrnegar7c....@FIAD06.norwich.edu>,

Neil Cerutti <hor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've actually played _In The End II_, and even composed a patch
> for it, but in the end, I never submitted it.

That's OK. I'm not all that interested in maintaining it for the
future, although I did enjoy using the Parker poem as my central
structure. That was a fun game to write even if it did not have any
antler jobs at all in it.

Adam

Richard Bos

unread,
Sep 12, 2006, 3:45:04 PM9/12/06
to
"Michael Coyne" <coy...@mtsDOT.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:37:32 -0400, Erik Wennstrom said to the parser:
>
> > Conquista Medioevale
> >
> > Ok, nevermind. These stink, but in true usenet tradition, I can't bring
> > myself not to share.
>
> There *is* a proposed title for Risorg2, and it *is* Italian, and it's
> *not* Conquista Medioevale--though that would be a great idea for a
> prequel.

Might as well spell it correctly, then: Medievale. Even if you insist on
the diphthong for style, it would be Mediaevale.

> I'm somewhat wary of another title that makes native English
> speakers go "Huh?". On the other hand, it would be pretty obvious what it
> was a sequel to, whereas a more traditional title might not.

Also, anything that makes people think is good, IMO.

> I may take the Italian title I'm thinking of, and just go with the English
> equivalent... (if anyone has any opinions on this, I'd love to hear
> them... did the title of Risorg make it less accessible or keep you away
> from it?)....

Not me. I liked it.

Richard

Erik Wennstrom

unread,
Sep 12, 2006, 10:38:42 PM9/12/06
to
Richard Bos wrote:
> "Michael Coyne" <coy...@mtsDOT.net> wrote:
>
>
>>On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:37:32 -0400, Erik Wennstrom said to the parser:
>>
>>
>>>Conquista Medioevale
>>>
>>>Ok, nevermind. These stink, but in true usenet tradition, I can't bring
>>>myself not to share.
>>
>>There *is* a proposed title for Risorg2, and it *is* Italian, and it's
>>*not* Conquista Medioevale--though that would be a great idea for a
>>prequel.
>
>
> Might as well spell it correctly, then: Medievale. Even if you insist on
> the diphthong for style, it would be Mediaevale.

I make no claims to any comprehension of Italian other than what I've
gleaned from general vague knowledge of Romantic roots (and I suppose
from cuisine and music). The spelling I used was just what Google
language tools told me was Italian for "medieval," so I blame them.

You're a very cruel person to point out mispellings to a pedant. I
nearly had a heart attack from embarassment.

Erik

Gene Wirchenko

unread,
Sep 20, 2006, 9:58:14 PM9/20/06
to
Erik Wennstrom <h...@qrREMOVEivy.net> wrote:

[snip]

>You're a very cruel person to point out mispellings to a pedant. I
>nearly had a heart attack from embarassment.

You can not be that sensitive, or you would not have misspelled
"embarrassment".

Oh, drat! And I was doing so well, too.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have preferences.
You have biases.
He/She has prejudices.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages