[GENERAL] What's good music to listen while playing (fill in the blank)...

Unkle84

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
Does anyone listen to music while playing IF? I feel it sets a theme to the
game if properly selected. Anyway, this is my list:

Trinity: Portishead Live At The Roseland Ballroom
Christminster: Dvorak 'From the New World'
Zork I: DJ Krush 'Kakusei'

I've got a strange taste in music :).

-Allan

Ricardo Dague

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
In article <19991115162246...@ng-fz1.aol.com>,

unk...@aol.com (Unkle84) wrote:
> Does anyone listen to music while playing IF? I feel it sets a theme
to the
> game if properly selected.
I don't think I see or hear anything around me when I'm REALLY into a
game, but there's some Scott Joplin stuff at "www.olywa.net/danshep/".
His music renders beautifully to MIDI format.

-- Ricardo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

BrenBarn

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
>Does anyone listen to music while playing IF? I feel it sets a theme to the
>game if properly selected.
I often do listen to music. Often, however, I find that it's interesting
just to turn on the radio and see how whatever comes on melds or does not meld
with the game you're playing. I listened to "1979" (Smashing Pumpkins) while
playing "Photopia", and for a long time I had the song burned into my brain
without knowing what it was.

From,
Brendan B. B. (Bren...@aol.com)
(Name in header has spam-blocker, use the address above instead.)

"Do not follow where the path may lead;
go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."
--Author Unknown

timsim

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
You could put my CD on (Eternal Dream) and rock out ala Satriani/Vai/May.
Want to try it? Listen to it at http://www.amazon.com

It scored 12 out of 10 in the August 95 issue of Recording Magazine.

Tim
Unkle84 <unk...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone listen to music while playing IF? I feel it sets a theme to
the

Gunther Schmidl

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
I listen to almost anything while *playing* IF, but a lot of Delerium, Front
Line Assembly and Nine Inch Nails helped *create* Only After Dark. Nothing
like a bit of music to put you in the right frame of mind...

--
Gunther

Message has been deleted

Julian Fleetwood

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
On 15 Nov 1999 21:22:46 GMT, unk...@aol.com (Unkle84) wrote:

>Does anyone listen to music while playing IF? I feel it sets a theme to the
>game if properly selected. Anyway, this is my list:

I've found anything by Pink Floyd is great...

>Trinity: Portishead Live At The Roseland Ballroom
>Christminster: Dvorak 'From the New World'
>Zork I: DJ Krush 'Kakusei'
>
>I've got a strange taste in music :).
>
>-Allan

-Julian

Quentin.D.Thompson

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
In article <3832...@alijku02.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at>,

I totally agree. In fact, to obtain quite a few of Halothane's disaparate
landscapes (excuse my pomposity :-D), I pulled in images from whatever book
happened to be at hand, or - more commonly - whatever LP or tape happened to
be playing. There's only one obvious book reference (the story of Janus and
Vanessa in Chapter Six, which is an oblique Charles Dickens dig), but several
chapters came from song lyrics: Chapter Eight from "In The Early Morning
Rain", Seven from Don Henley's "New York Minute", Four from a whole lot of
stuff - Incidentally, when you type 'sleep' and the real title screen to the
game kicks in, try listening to Pink Floyd's Signs of Life. One query: does
anyone agree with me that, treated properly, this would make a good graphical
adventure :-)?

--
Quentin.D.Thompson. [The 'D' is a variable.]
Lord High Executioner Of Bleagh

cmshaw

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Unkle84 (unk...@aol.com) wrote:
>Does anyone listen to music while playing IF? I feel it sets a theme to the
>game if properly selected.

Yup. Sheryl Crow's second album (just titled "Sheryl Crow") will
forever be IF music to me, because I spent about a month doing the
avoid-my-thesis-by-playing-IF routine in college, and that CD was on
repeat, oh, nigh on the whole time. (I was obsessive like that in
college.) It particularly themes "Delusions", but it works for most
of the Comp96 games too. (Yes, I'm dating myself. Oh well.)

Caitlin
--
cmshaw -at- lambda -dot- net -without- any fancy signature line
*** for obvious reasons, you can't use the email in the headers

Joe Mason

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Quentin.D.Thompson <stup...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>In article <3832...@alijku02.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at>,
> "Gunther Schmidl" <gsch...@xxx.gmx.at> wrote:
>> I listen to almost anything while *playing* IF, but a lot of Delerium, Front
>> Line Assembly and Nine Inch Nails helped *create* Only After Dark. Nothing
>> like a bit of music to put you in the right frame of mind...
>
>I totally agree. In fact, to obtain quite a few of Halothane's disaparate
>landscapes (excuse my pomposity :-D), I pulled in images from whatever book
>happened to be at hand, or - more commonly - whatever LP or tape happened to
>be playing. There's only one obvious book reference (the story of Janus and

"In the End", from the '96 Comp, was inspired by a biology lecture (hows
that for a hook - and I should mention I haven't taken a biology class
since. Can't stand the subject) but most of the mood came from listening to
Alex Lifeson's solo album, _Victor_. (Though I swear I didn't notice that it
had a song called "At the End" until I was almost done.) Rush's debut album
(Alex Lifeson is the lead guitarist) also contributed a song to the game.

Hmm, come to think of it, I haven't listened to Rush since then, either,
except for a few flashes of nostalgia...

Joe