Flashonate - flash based Z-code interpreter

1 view

Peter Rogers

Jul 30, 2007, 1:46:40 PM7/30/07
Howdy, I've put together a flash Z-machine interpreter that's ready to
demo. It's somewhat slow (maybe fixable with a JIT compiler), and lots
of things don't work properly. But I wanted to "get it out there" as
more of a proof of concept than anything else:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~peter_rogers/

It's based on Muttonate, the javascript Z-machine by Q.P. Liu, which I
shamelessly copied. Anyhow, check out the demo and let me know what
you think,

Peter

Andrew Plotkin

Jul 30, 2007, 2:47:17 PM7/30/07
Here, Peter Rogers <peter....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy, I've put together a flash Z-machine interpreter that's ready to
> demo. It's somewhat slow (maybe fixable with a JIT compiler), and lots
> of things don't work properly. But I wanted to "get it out there" as
> more of a proof of concept than anything else:
>
> http://home.cogeco.ca/~peter_rogers/

Nice.

--Z

*
If the Bush administration hasn't thrown you in military prison without trial,
it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're an American.

Eric Forgeot

Jul 30, 2007, 5:55:57 PM7/30/07
Peter Rogers wrote:

> Howdy, I've put together a flash Z-machine interpreter that's ready to
> demo. It's somewhat slow (maybe fixable with a JIT compiler), and lots
> of things don't work properly. But I wanted to "get it out there" as

looks great, but how could I create such a flash file ?

I've tried to run the python script on a zmachine file, I got a xml file
with lots of

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<source>BQAAATAA==</source>

I've also installed openlaszlo, but I don't know what should be run now...
Must I load this xml with binary inside into something else ?

Eric Forgeot

Jul 30, 2007, 6:33:39 PM7/30/07
Eric Forgeot wrote:

> I've also installed openlaszlo, but I don't know what should be run now...
> Must I load this xml with binary inside into something else ?

I've managed to make it work ! I put your flashonate folder into my
installation of
openlaszlo : /opt/openlaszlo/Server/lps-4.0.3/flashonate/flashonate/
and then I can create the flash from the address :
http://localhost:8080/lps-4.0.3/flashonate/flashonate/flashonate.lzx

I've put the result there, as a demo example on our main page (we may move
it later to another dedicated page...) : http://ifiction.free.fr/

Peter Rogers

Jul 30, 2007, 7:07:00 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 6:33 pm, Eric Forgeot <use_form_on_webs...@anamnese.fr.st>
wrote:

Glad you figured it out - the documentation is a little weak, and it
really should include a makefile. Thanks for the link on your main
page (nice site BTW, makes me wish I could read french). I suppose the
next task is to work on a just-in-time compiler to help speed things
up.

Peter