Anyone heard of (IN)STEAD?

Stuart Moore

Mar 21, 2010, 2:06:21 PM3/21/10
Just saw this one mentioned http://www.happypenguin.org/show?INSTEAD at
the Linux Game Tome. Seems to have a website at
http://code.google.com/p/instead/ - in Russian though, though it has
some English docs.

Anyone know any more about it?

Peter Pears

Mar 21, 2010, 6:11:37 PM3/21/10
On Mar 21, 6:06 pm, Stuart Moore <N...@SPAM.PLEASE> wrote:
> Just saw this one mentionedhttp://www.happypenguin.org/show?INSTEADat
> the Linux Game Tome. Seems to have a website athttp://code.google.com/p/instead/- in Russian though, though it has

> some English docs.
>
> Anyone know any more about it?

Looks very cool. Reminds me of SUDS - back when it didn't have an
optional parser and was all mouse-driven. Looks sleek and quite
professional - appealing. Probably the best cross I've seen between
"text adventure" and "CYOA", without being just a glorified CYOA.

Pity most games are in Russian. In an interface like this, I wouldn't
mind - in fact I'd rather like! - playing French, Italian or Spanish
IF. I can understand them well enough, but I can't speak them enough
to actually issue commands to a parser. An interface like this would
be the perfect training ground. :) In fact, if I ever think seriously
about Portuguese IF again, this seems like a swell choice.

I can't see it picking up here in the RAIF crowd, but I do hope people
notice it. I don't know where the english/french/italian IF community
gather, but maybe it would be worthwhile to show them this?

Otto Grimwald

Mar 21, 2010, 7:15:49 PM3/21/10
Le 21/03/2010 23:11, Peter Pears a �crit :

> Pity most games are in Russian. In an interface like this, I wouldn't
> mind - in fact I'd rather like! - playing French, Italian or Spanish
> IF. I can understand them well enough, but I can't speak them enough
> to actually issue commands to a parser. An interface like this would
> be the perfect training ground. :) In fact, if I ever think seriously
> about Portuguese IF again, this seems like a swell choice.

I looks really great, but it reminds me more of CYOA or Renpy, rather
than true IF where you type all your commands. I don't even think it's
possible to create IF games with this.

It worths looking though.