[Announce]New Alternate Library for Inform

she's long gone

Feb 1, 2005, 12:11:47 AM2/1/05
Hello all,

I am pleased to announce a beta release of my alternate Inform library
"Triform". It implements a good chunk of the features provided by
Platypus and Onynx Ring, while implementing several original features,
hence the working title Triform. I've been working on it for
approximately nine months so this seemed like an appropriate time to
begin beta-testing.

My goals in creating Triform were to add features I had always wanted
from Inform and to make simulating a model world easier. The major
changes are these --

* Changes in tense and person are supported
* Adjectives can be used
* Objects can be on top, inside, behind, beneath, or attached to their
parents
* A basic volume filter has been added to containers
* Greater control is provided over default text
* Clothing is handled more realistically
* Having NPCs perform actions is much easier
* A basic system for gradual light changes is provided

The library comes with changes.txt to document all of the new features.

The catch here is that the library needs significant debugging. Despite
my best efforts there are 5 or so bugs rendering it unusable for a real
game, and 9 or 10 more minor bugs or features not fully implemented.
While future versions will include many more features, my focus now is
on putting this intial version into a usable form, and I would be
honored by anyone who helps me.

I first concieved of this library five years ago but let it languish
until last May, and am very happy to finally have something to show for
my efforts. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you
can take some time to help me out.

she's long gone

she's long gone

Feb 1, 2005, 12:25:33 AM2/1/05
Sorry... I forgot to mention that it's been uploaded to the IF
Archive's /unprocessed directory as Triformbeta07.zip.

samwyse

Feb 1, 2005, 7:21:21 AM2/1/05
On or about 1/31/2005 11:11 PM, she's long gone did proclaim:

> I am pleased to announce a beta release of my alternate Inform library
> "Triform". It implements a good chunk of the features provided by
> Platypus and Onynx Ring, while implementing several original features,
> hence the working title Triform. I've been working on it for
> approximately nine months so this seemed like an appropriate time to
> begin beta-testing.

Looks interesting. I'll try to find some time to play with it, but
can't make any promises.

In BUGS.TXT, you say, "6L. statusline time doesn't work properly" where
the "L" indicates that the problem is also in the standard library. Is
this the known problem:
http://www.inform-fiction.org/patches/L61103.html

Section 24 of DM4 describes the Inform library's world model. It's hard
to get a sense of your world model just by reading CHANGES.TXT, so you
may want to provide a similar document that also explains your overall
design philosophy and principles. I mention this because you've dropped
a number of attributes, replacing them with tests of class membership or
properties, and I'm not sure why or how you made the choices.

Strongly consider giving your modules names that are distinct from the
standard library's. This makes it harder to include the wrong set of
files. Also, it looks like your library will, due to the number of
properties, be unusable with Z3. Add a check to the first file included
to abort with a meaningful message.

I applaud these features:
-- "The default gender is now neuter, rather than male."
-- "Sensory perception rules for smelling and hearing have
been implemented. Two routines, IsSmellable and IsAudible,
have been added and function much like ObjectIsUntouchable,
though in a very rudimentary way at this point."
-- The multitude of *_desc properties.

she's long gone

Feb 2, 2005, 4:07:52 PM2/2/05

samwyse wrote:

> In BUGS.TXT, you say, "6L. statusline time doesn't work properly"
where
> the "L" indicates that the problem is also in the standard library.
Is
> this the known problem:
> http://www.inform-fiction.org/patches/L61103.html

Yes, that's the one. I've attempted to fix it but been utterly
mystified as to its cause.

> Strongly consider giving your modules names that are distinct from
the
> standard library's. This makes it harder to include the wrong set of

> files.

Done; I should have realized this myself. (slaps forehead)

> Also, it looks like your library will, due to the number of
> properties, be unusable with Z3. Add a check to the first file
included
> to abort with a meaningful message.

I'm not sure how to do this; the 6/11 library is also incompatible with
Z3 but doesn't provide a similar check. Any advice would be
appreciated.

I've had a bout of luck the last 24 hours and fixed a few of the most
egregious bugs, so a much more polished version may be coming soon.
Thanks for taking a look.

samwyse

Feb 3, 2005, 12:09:30 AM2/3/05
On or about 2/2/2005 3:07 PM, she's long gone did proclaim:
> samwyse wrote:

>>Also, it looks like your library will, due to the number of
>>properties, be unusable with Z3. Add a check to the first file
>> included to abort with a meaningful message.
>
> I'm not sure how to do this; the 6/11 library is also incompatible with
> Z3 but doesn't provide a similar check. Any advice would be
> appreciated.

Well, the 6/11 library is *almost* V3 compatible, and there's
intermittent effort to make it more so. OTOH, it probably should spit
out a message. Anyway, this should do the trick:

#Ifdef TARGET_ZCODE; #IfV3;
#Message error "This library is not compatible with Z-code V3.";
#Endif; #Endif;

Kevin Forchione

Feb 2, 2005, 10:07:10 PM2/2/05
"she's long gone" <w4y7...@sneakemail.com> wrote in message

> samwyse wrote:
>
>> In BUGS.TXT, you say, "6L. statusline time doesn't work properly"
> where
>> the "L" indicates that the problem is also in the standard library.
> Is
>> this the known problem:
>> http://www.inform-fiction.org/patches/L61103.html
>
> Yes, that's the one. I've attempted to fix it but been utterly
> mystified as to its cause.

My advice (not programming in Inform) is to compare the working older
version of the library with the newer one using Windiff or an equivalent
file comparison program. Something in the new code is overlaying or
modifying the behavior of the status line, and this should be something you
can track down by examining the changes, and possibly commenting out pieces
of code until the offending piece is located.

--Kevin

she's long gone

Feb 6, 2005, 5:42:29 PM2/6/05
That did the trick as far as printing up a suitable message, but the
compiler still goes on to barf up a few dozen more. How can I tell the
compiler to stop compiling?

she's long gone

samwyse

Feb 7, 2005, 10:35:10 PM2/7/05
On or about 2/6/2005 4:42 PM, she's long gone did proclaim:

#message fatalerror "text";

SoonM...@yahoo.com

Mar 12, 2005, 10:10:40 PM3/12/05
she's long gone wrote:
> Archive's /unprocessed directory as Triformbeta07.zip.

Hey. I'm liking the look of this triform library. I think it is
interesting and I'm learning a lot about Inform just by figuring out
what's going on with triform.

Are there going to be more updates to this? Still a work in progress?