Playing/Scripting Then Going Back

3 views
Skip to first unread message

Al

unread,
Dec 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/20/98
to
I started a thread once before on playing games while
having the scripting turned on and then after finishing
going back and printing out the transcript of the game.
No one answered so as they say
Once More Dear Friends Into the Breach ! ! ! ! !

Any thoughts on this. Sometimes one gets lost in the
game while trying to figure out puzzles, get from
one location to another and the "story" is lost.

You can "play" the game as I have found and get
story is extraneous to finishing it.

Only after reading the transcript can you truly
appreciate it.

Thoughts for or against this please.


HarryH

unread,
Dec 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/21/98
to
In article <367D57EC...@qadas.com>, rad...@qadas.com says...

>
>I started a thread once before on playing games while
>having the scripting turned on and then after finishing
>going back and printing out the transcript of the game.

Is this transcript from beta-testers, or you as author?

>You can "play" the game as I have found and get
>story is extraneous to finishing it.

I play my game my way and like it. Everybody else has to guess the verb.

>Only after reading the transcript can you truly
>appreciate it.

I suppose if you can't stand behind betatester, transcript is a good
alternative.

>Thoughts for or against this please.

Transcripts are good. 1 inch thick transcripts received a few times a week in
the course of developing big game is not good. It just depends on your
situation. Transcript is just another betatesting tool. Betatesting (by
stranger and/or complete moron) is the one you want. IMHO.

-------------------------------------------------------
IFC1.0 --C --A R++ -P++ -I++ --T+


Kathy I. Morgan

unread,
Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
to
Al <rad...@qadas.com> wrote:

> I started a thread once before on playing games while
> having the scripting turned on and then after finishing
> going back and printing out the transcript of the game.

> No one answered so as they say
> Once More Dear Friends Into the Breach ! ! ! ! !
>
> Any thoughts on this. Sometimes one gets lost in the
> game while trying to figure out puzzles, get from
> one location to another and the "story" is lost.

For me it is just the opposite. I turn scripting on when I'm stuck on
the puzzles, so I can study them at leisure to try to find the clues I'm
missing. For me the transcript detracts from my understanding of the
story, but helps with solving the puzzles.

Of course, since I'm generating the transcript while I'm stuck on a
puzzle, there tends to be a _lot_ of backtracking and repeating, so part
of my process of using the transcript is to open it in a text editor and
clip out the repetitive material.

--
Kathy -- must go back to studying that transcript of Curses, now that I
finally understand that there was a joke in connection with the wrench.
:-) This new level of insight may help me solve whichever puzzle I was
working on....

Al

unread,
Dec 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/22/98
to

HarryH wrote:

>
>
> Is this transcript from beta-testers, or you as author?

This is from me as an author and one who plays a lot of IF games.

>
>
> I play my game my way and like it. Everybody else has to guess the verb.

guess the verb sucks. Who the hell wants to spend hours and hours and then
give up in frustration as I have done on several games.

>
>
>
> I suppose if you can't stand behind betatester, transcript is a good
> alternative.

I was referring to playing the game then reading the transcript to "get"
the story.
--
Politicians are like diapers,
they need to be changed often
and for the same reasons

HarryH

unread,
Dec 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/24/98
to
In article <367FCC77...@qadas.com>, rad...@qadas.com says...

>HarryH wrote:
>> Is this transcript from beta-testers, or you as author?
>This is from me as an author and one who plays a lot of IF games.
>> I play my game my way and like it. Everybody else has to guess the verb.
>guess the verb sucks. Who the hell wants to spend hours and hours and then
>give up in frustration as I have done on several games.

This is why author's transcript does little good. I suppose if you want to
check game quickly, you can just run "diff" over it. However, this is good to
check the logic of the game, not vocabulary.

>I was referring to playing the game then reading the transcript to "get"
>the story.

But as pacing and/or story feeling goes, it's practically worthless. Each
players plays differently. You're just as guilty as me, assuming that
everybody is playing your game your way or that they'd even care about your
story the same way you do.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages