Copyright

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
to
Steven Jones <ste...@tsn.cc> wrote:
> Has the copyright expired on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? I thought it
> would make a fantastic game.

Yes. Robert Louis Stevenson died in 1894.

A good way to check this sort of thing is to search Gutenberg, the project
that's creating on-line versions of public domain texts. If they've got
it, you can snarf it.

http://sailor.gutenberg.org/by-author.html

--Z

"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the
borogoves..."

Steven Jones

unread,
Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
to

John Hill

unread,
Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
to
Andrew Plotkin wrote:

>
> Steven Jones <ste...@tsn.cc> wrote:
> > Has the copyright expired on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? I thought it
> > would make a fantastic game.
>
> Yes. Robert Louis Stevenson died in 1894.
>
> A good way to check this sort of thing is to search Gutenberg, the project
> that's creating on-line versions of public domain texts. If they've got
> it, you can snarf it.
>
> http://sailor.gutenberg.org/by-author.html

Hey...Rudyard Kipling, Jules Verne, Alexis de Toqueville.
Cool...

Andy Leighton

unread,
Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
to
On 28 Nov 1999 21:42:29 GMT, Andrew Plotkin <erky...@netcom.com> wrote:
>Steven Jones <ste...@tsn.cc> wrote:
>> Has the copyright expired on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? I thought it
>> would make a fantastic game.
>
>Yes. Robert Louis Stevenson died in 1894.
>
>A good way to check this sort of thing is to search Gutenberg, the project
>that's creating on-line versions of public domain texts. If they've got
>it, you can snarf it.

It is a good yardstick but not always correct.

For instance Peter Pan is still copyright in the UK (and will not
fall out of copyright due to a special arrangement).

Also a number of the authors that are free of copyright in the US are still
in copyright in the UK (and most of western Europe).

Take for instance H.G. Wells - there are many examples of his works
in the Gutenberg collections.

However Wells died in 1946. The law was changed from Life+50 to Life+70
in 1995. This means all of Wells' works will be copyright to 2016

--
Andy Leighton => an...@azaal.dircon.co.uk
"... January is your third most common month for madness" - _Sarah Canary_

Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
to
Andy Leighton <an...@azaal.dircon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 28 Nov 1999 21:42:29 GMT, Andrew Plotkin <erky...@netcom.com> wrote:
>>Steven Jones <ste...@tsn.cc> wrote:
>>> Has the copyright expired on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? I thought it
>>> would make a fantastic game.
>>
>>Yes. Robert Louis Stevenson died in 1894.
>>
>>A good way to check this sort of thing is to search Gutenberg, the project
>>that's creating on-line versions of public domain texts. If they've got
>>it, you can snarf it.
>
> It is a good yardstick but not always correct.
>
> For instance Peter Pan is still copyright in the UK (and will not
> fall out of copyright due to a special arrangement).

Good point. The Gutenberg has a note about this, and they claim their
version is public-domain in the US, but "they are not a lawyer".



> Also a number of the authors that are free of copyright in the US are still
> in copyright in the UK (and most of western Europe).
>
> Take for instance H.G. Wells - there are many examples of his works
> in the Gutenberg collections.
>
> However Wells died in 1946. The law was changed from Life+50 to Life+70
> in 1995. This means all of Wells' works will be copyright to 2016

Hrm, that law -- I assume you're talking about US law -- was changed in
1998, not 1995. (See
http://www.public.asu.edu/~dkarjala/legmats/S505-final.html)

And the law was previously changed in 1978, from some different set of
rules I don't remember, so Wells falls under exceptions from that earlier
set. If I read this guy's page correctly, the (current) rule for works
published prior to 1964 is "95 years from date of publication" -- the
author's lifetime is irrelevant.

Gunther Schmidl

unread,
Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
to
Will you PLEASE. STOP. THIS. RIGHT. NOW.

God damn it, we really need rec.arts.int-fiction.copyright-threads, and it'd
get more traffic than raif and rgif together.

Same could be said for Muldoon threads, only they're actually relevant and
haven't been done a trillion times before.

--
+-----------------+---------------+------------------------------+
| Gunther Schmidl | ICQ: 22447430 | IF: http://sgu.home.dhs.org/ |
|-----------------+----------+----+------------------------------|
| gschmidl (at) gmx (dot) at | please remove the "xxx." to reply |
+----------------------------+-----------------------------------+


Andrew Plotkin

unread,
Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
to
Gunther Schmidl <gsch...@xxx.gmx.at> wrote:
> Will you PLEASE. STOP. THIS. RIGHT. NOW.

No.

I was replying to a relevant point, and I was posting information that I
don't believe has been discussed in previous copyright threads.

Gunther Schmidl

unread,
Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
to
"Andrew Plotkin" <erky...@netcom.com> wrote in message
news:823cbt$fq1$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net...

> Gunther Schmidl <gsch...@xxx.gmx.at> wrote:
> > Will you PLEASE. STOP. THIS. RIGHT. NOW.
>
> No.
>
> I was replying to a relevant point, and I was posting information that I
> don't believe has been discussed in previous copyright threads.

This wasn't directed at you alone, but at the copyright thread in general.
Sorry, but I'm *really* sick of having one every two weeks.

Kathleen M. Fischer

unread,
Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
to
In article <81s7k5$34d$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,

Andrew Plotkin <erky...@netcom.com> wrote:
> Steven Jones <ste...@tsn.cc> wrote:
> > Has the copyright expired on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? I thought it
> > would make a fantastic game.
>
> Yes. Robert Louis Stevenson died in 1894.
>
> A good way to check this sort of thing is to search Gutenberg, the
> project that's creating on-line versions of public domain texts. If
> they've got it, you can snarf it.
>
> http://sailor.gutenberg.org/by-author.html

Cool! I'd been thinking of adapting a short story to IF as a coding
exercise to try out some ideas, but dreaded having to retype it. As luck
would have it, there it was!

Thanks for the pointer :)

Kathleen

--
-- Excuse me while I dance a little jig of despair.


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Ross Presser

unread,
Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
to
alt.distingui...@xxx.gmx.at (Gunther
Schmidl).wrote.posted.offered:

>"Andrew Plotkin" <erky...@netcom.com> wrote in message
>news:823cbt$fq1$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net...
>> Gunther Schmidl <gsch...@xxx.gmx.at> wrote:
>> > Will you PLEASE. STOP. THIS. RIGHT. NOW.
>>
>> No.
>>
>> I was replying to a relevant point, and I was posting information that I
>> don't believe has been discussed in previous copyright threads.
>
>This wasn't directed at you alone, but at the copyright thread in general.
>Sorry, but I'm *really* sick of having one every two weeks.

So ignore such threads, or configure your newsreader to ignore them for
you, or get a newsreader which is capable of doing so.

--
Ross Presser
ross_p...@imtek.com
"And if you're the kind of person who parties with a bathtub full of
pasta, I suspect you don't care much about cholesterol anyway."

Erik Max Francis

unread,
Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
to
Gunther Schmidl wrote:

> This wasn't directed at you alone, but at the copyright thread in
> general.
> Sorry, but I'm *really* sick of having one every two weeks.

So use restraint and don't read them, or employ a killfile.

--
Erik Max Francis | icq 16063900 | email m...@alcyone.com
Alcyone Systems | web http://www.alcyone.com/max/
San Jose, CA | languages en, eo | icbm 37 20 07 N 121 53 38 W
USA | 397 days left | &tSftDotIotE
__
/ \ The more one is hated, I find, the happier one is.
\__/ Louis-Ferdinand Celine

Andy Leighton

unread,
Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
to
On 30 Nov 1999 21:06:30 GMT, Andrew Plotkin <erky...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Andy Leighton <an...@azaal.dircon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Take for instance H.G. Wells - there are many examples of his works
>> in the Gutenberg collections.
>>
>> However Wells died in 1946. The law was changed from Life+50 to Life+70
>> in 1995. This means all of Wells' works will be copyright to 2016
>
>Hrm, that law -- I assume you're talking about US law -- was changed in

Nope, EU/UK law - it is far more relevant to me as I live in the UK (and in
the post I was talking about the UK and EU).

It will also affect US IF authors if they are thinking about uploading
their work to if-archive.

>1998, not 1995. (See
>http://www.public.asu.edu/~dkarjala/legmats/S505-final.html)
>
>And the law was previously changed in 1978, from some different set of
>rules I don't remember, so Wells falls under exceptions from that earlier
>set. If I read this guy's page correctly, the (current) rule for works
>published prior to 1964 is "95 years from date of publication" -- the
>author's lifetime is irrelevant.

That can't be right (even for the US) - the Gutenberg project includes
_The War In The Air_ which was first published in 1908 in Britain
(and probably later than that in the US).

http://www.benedict.com/basic/public/public.html seems to indicate
that anything published more than 75 years ago in the US has had its
copyright period expire.

As many (hi Gunther) have noticed, copyright is a complex and somewhat
uninteresting subject. It is however vital to understand the rules
if you want to write IF treatments of literature.

Sean T Barrett

unread,
Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
to
Andy Leighton <an...@azaal.dircon.co.uk> wrote:
>As many (hi Gunther) have noticed, copyright is a complex and somewhat
>uninteresting subject. It is however vital to understand the rules
>if you want to write IF treatments of literature.

It is also vital if you want to write a play, a radio play,
a screenplay, a short story adaptation, or just about any
other sort of treatment of the literature. There is nothing
specific to IF about the discussion.

Such a justification for saying this discussion is on
topic for r.a.i-f is like saying "Good grammar and spelling
are important if you want to write IF, so that justifies
long involved discussions of grammar and spelling".

And don't tell me to get a smarter newsreader. That
argument is patently false, as taking it to its logical
conclusion would result in a single newsgroup containing
every thread in Usenet. The newsgroup line is the primary
way of divvying up threads based on *content*. Use it.
If you want to talk to some particular person, email them.
If you want to talk to a couple people who have been
posting about the subject matter on a specific newsgroup,
post a pointer to the newsgroup that you've diverted the
thread to; anyone who wants to talk or read about it will
go there.

Sean B

J. Holder

unread,
Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
to
Why post this reply here? You should have posted it to

news.readers.philosophy

and crossposted to

rec.offtopic.threads.rant.rant.rant

Your argument becomes absurd the moment you posted it to this group.

*sigh*

John

Sean T Barrett (buz...@world.std.com) wrote:
> Such a justification for saying this discussion is on
> topic for r.a.i-f is like saying "Good grammar and spelling
> are important if you want to write IF, so that justifies
> long involved discussions of grammar and spelling".

> And don't tell me to get a smarter newsreader. That
> argument is patently false, as taking it to its logical
> conclusion would result in a single newsgroup containing
> every thread in Usenet. The newsgroup line is the primary
> way of divvying up threads based on *content*. Use it.
> If you want to talk to some particular person, email them.
> If you want to talk to a couple people who have been
> posting about the subject matter on a specific newsgroup,
> post a pointer to the newsgroup that you've diverted the
> thread to; anyone who wants to talk or read about it will
> go there.

--
John Holder (jho...@frii.com) http://www.frii.com/~jholder/
<jholder> do you like FreeBSD?
<hal> I need to get the ISDN line running so that I will tell it to pass over
me and replace my SuSE box with FreeBSD.


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages