Things Players Try

14 views
Skip to first unread message

Rick

unread,
Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
to
Greetings Everyone,

I am trying to compile a list of verbs and actions players might try during
a game. I would like to gather a large list with as many actions as
possible. For example, PICK UP, EAT, SMELL etc. I would also be interested
in hearing other concepts on what users may try in games. These can include
the standard and common verbs, to the downright bizarre :)

Best Regards,

Rick

* For direct responses, please remove 'NOSPAM' from my email address *

Ricardo Dague

unread,
Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
to
Rick wrote:
>
> I am trying to compile a list of verbs and actions players might try during
> a game. I would like to gather a large list with as many actions as
> possible. For example, PICK UP, EAT, SMELL etc. I would also be interested
> in hearing other concepts on what users may try in games. These can include
> the standard and common verbs, to the downright bizarre :)

There's a long list of verbs in the standard Inform grammar
file
(ftp.gmd.de/if-archive/programming/inform6/library/grammar.h).

Given a ladder object, the beta testers of my game "Fifteen"
tried these commands (I was too lazy to implement them)

PUT LADDER ON TREE
PUT LADDER AGAINST TREE
LEAN LADDER AGAINST TREE
PUT LADDER UNDER TREE

Also there's a 15-puzzle in it. The puzzle is operated with
the "play" verb. Typing "play" by itself prints out the
puzzle and typing "play" followed by a list of numbers moves
each of those numbers into the open space. For example

>play

1 14 10 8
12 3 2
9 6 4 11
5 15 13 7

>play 2

1 14 10 8
12 3 2
9 6 4 11
5 15 13 7

>play 10 14 3

1 3 14 8
12 10 2
9 6 4 11
5 15 13 7

HTH
-- Ricardo

Ricardito programmed for FELINE DEFENSE!

Joe Merical

unread,
Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
to
Here are a few I try in games that support them:

lay (on/down object)
go (location, not direction)
dial (number)
follow (animate object)
kill (for violent IF games)
axe (the verb, not the noun)
jump (off/onto)
hide
switch (on/off)
suicide
say
dig
xyzzy (a classic)
plugh (diddo)
take ... from ...
throw ... at ...

Hope these help.

- Joe

Rick wrote in message ...
>Greetings Everyone,


>
>I am trying to compile a list of verbs and actions players might try during
>a game. I would like to gather a large list with as many actions as
>possible. For example, PICK UP, EAT, SMELL etc. I would also be interested
>in hearing other concepts on what users may try in games. These can include
>the standard and common verbs, to the downright bizarre :)
>

Joseph Fatula

unread,
Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
to
Joe Merical wrote:
> ...
> follow (animate object)
> ...

I'm getting a bit desperate here - does anyone know how to code such a
verb? Or where source code for one may be found?


WAk a duK

unread,
Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
to
How about "Bobert?" I try that all the time solely because "Bobert" is a funny
word.


Without Flish,
Sue D. O'Nimm
----------
I like traffic lights
I like traffic lights
I like traffic lights
Although my name's not Bamber
I like traffic lights
I like traffic lights
I like traffic lights
I... oh god.

Simon 'tufty' Stapleton

unread,
Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
to
Joseph Fatula <fat...@ibm.net> writes:

If you're talking inform, have a look at follower.h (I think that's the
name of it) which is in the contributions directory for the library on
gmd. There may be a newer one (I haven't used it for a while) but ISTR
it works very well.

Simon

--
_______ _______
| ----- | Biased output from the demented brain of | ----- |
||MacOS|| Simon Stapleton. ||Linux||
|| 8.5 || || PPC ||
| ----- | sstaple AT liffe DoT com | ----- |
| -+-.| (if you can't figure it out...) | -+-.|
|洵洵洵洱 |洵洵洵洱
------- -------

WAk a duK

unread,
Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
to
Can I say B*bert again? If you don't like the word B*bert, don't scroll down.

***minor usage of the word "b*bert" below***

[scroll down]

Bobert.

Ethan d'Arcy

unread,
Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
to

Rick wrote:

> Greetings Everyone,
>
> I am trying to compile a list of verbs and actions players might try during
> a game. I would like to gather a large list with as many actions as
> possible. For example, PICK UP, EAT, SMELL etc. I would also be interested
> in hearing other concepts on what users may try in games. These can include
> the standard and common verbs, to the downright bizarre :)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rick

Hey, don't forget good old "masturbate" and "undress"!

---Ethan


fra...@nospam.com

unread,
Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
to
I nearly cried when e...@umich.edu said:

> Hey, don't forget good old "masturbate" and "undress"!

And what really freaked me out was that the next article on my
system was a one-line comment saying "Why wait? I have a scanner
and a cable modem."

Fraser.
(change nospam to synopsys for an instant email address)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages