<Hmm Can't really think of a good Title:> My Game.(My Pipedream..)

Ogawa / Taro Stephen (ISE)

Mar 13, 1994, 10:17:02 AM3/13/94

It's design has sort of been bubbling on and off for the last 6 years..
<Sigh> Flame me.... tell me it's an impossible Dream...:)

* Basic Plot: Your Father, a King, has recently won a major victory over
a neighbouring state after 12 years of war. You were sent away, to
your mother's relatives near the commencement of fighting, as it
became apparent that the war would be anything but a short and clean
one. You have been sent back to partake of the celebrations. Last night,
the vassals and family of the Losing ruler arrived to swear fealty to
the victor. But all is not right - for just after midnight there was
swordplay in the corridor, and the booted footsteps of the guard could
be heard echoing down the corridor, and this morning, the guard have been
increased, and traces of blood stain the stone.
(No - haven't thought of lots of names yet :)
* The closest precursor to it is Suspect, in that it is fairly well
Interaction Based rather than Object Based (Zork etc.)
* Closed location (Castle) but with NPCs which come in and out as part of
their daily routine. Can also send servants out.
* If it's mentioned in the description you can examine it - get a little
bit of (non)information. I hate getting a 200 word description and
having to pick the 2 keywords that ring bells ("Get All" works ok on
Infocom games :)
* Randomised Events - The Manservent, Paul, while attempting to kill you
this game, will not necessarily attack you next game, although the
way you have treated him, and his predisposition, may mean that he will
indeed try to take your life. Similarly it may rain on the evening of the
fourth day, which will mean that the Marquis D'Angelo will not take
his usual walk. Thus instead of being able to stab him as you had
planned, you may have to quietly arrange a meeting in a drier place - or
else put off your murder till tomorrow.
* Ascii based mini-maps(HackLike) - tell you not only where you are in
relation to the other rooms, but also in relation to the objects in
the rooms.
* Able to be adapted for Multiplayer Use - Instead of faceless computer
controlled characters plotting against you, having your friends trying
to against slit your throat.
* Fuzzy locations - depending on location, different things would become
apparent, for instance:
If you are up the other end of a hall, you might get:
"To the south, you see two nobles."
If you are in the middle of the hall, you might get:
"To the south, two nobles talk"
If you are near the end of the hall:
"Nearby, the Duke of Ganhall, and the Earl of Sulman are talking.
The Earl murmurs something, but you cannot make out his words.
He looks at you, smiles and bows."
And if you are hiding behind the tapestry:
"'Tis time to move', the Earl whispers,'He cannot live till the
morrow's dawn, or all our plans be nought.'"
-- The HackLike map should roughly mirror your description, and your
Position on the map should automatically affect parts of your
description.
* Randomised stock responses - which vary according to formality, social
difference and titles.
* Items have both an owner and importance value - A carpenter's hammer
would have owner John Carpenter, and importance 8, whereas a few
nails would have owner John Carpenter, and importance 0. The
difference being, if he sees you touching his hammer, he'll probably
yell at you, order you out of his workroom, complain to your father,
etc. whereas if he sees you filching some nails, he will tell you to be
careful with them (Even better would be if you Asked his permission
first - He might give you a broken hammer he'd just repaired, with a
request to return it.)
* Realistic time frames in a single user situation - dropping a book
takes only a couple of seconds, putting a book back on the shelf
takes longer, and reading a history book about the castle in search of
clues might take several hours (depending on your Int)
* ~50 NPCs (Only a handful who actually do anything complicated by themselves)
should be able to be handled by the computer. Mundane Routines are only
performed if the PC watching, otherwise stock results are kept.
* Like/Dislike array of PC and all NPCs - start out weighted accordingly
As events happen, these alter, and these alter their responses to
those events. The more someone dislikes someone else, the easier it
is to decrease and the harder to increase.
* Conventional Stats (Str/int/wis Type) exist but are hidden. They are
set in a dream sequence at the beginning according to your responses.
They don't affect much, but they do affect events and relationships.
* Locations change according to time and weather conditions. IF games in
general get around this by it always being morning, Muds tend to always
have the sun filtering through the treetops even when it is 9pm and snowing.
Location descriptions have insertion marks, and according to conditions will
insert.
* No Undo; on multiplayer games, no quit and save unless all agree.
* Visibility levels - Not just pitch black and light.
The adverb allows more attention to be focussed on a particular
action - for instance if somebody is talking to you, and you are
listening to them carefully, you might well miss the hooded figure
who slipped out of your room and is disappearing down the corridor,
while if you don't listen carefully, you may miss an important bit
of gossip, as well as being thought extremely rude (relationship
array decrementing).
* NPCs have a routine of routines unless their routine is broken by a
more important routine. Events have a priority. Routines' durations are
fuzzy, and may affect other routines. Routines are interlinked. For
example (given on r.a.i-f a while back) the farmer harvests his
wheat, and takes it to the miller to grind corn, who gives it to the
baker to grind bread. If any link is affected (Miller/Farmer/Baker
killed, Mill/Farm burned down), the other links in the chain are
affected.
* Non Judgemental - If you want to kill your servant then you can - If
you get Caught, then you get cought within the standard laws of the
game (IE: the Guard saw you, you had blood all over you, etc.). Not
because the game decides that that isn't a valid choice. If you want
to commit parricide, frame the Duke of Ganhall, crown yourself King, and
order the Deaths of all treasonous plotters then you can too.

That'll do for now I think - my fingers are falling off.

Is there any preexisting Creator that can do/be adapted to this sort of
thing? Or will I have to <Sob> learn C?
Thanx,
Taro.
--
___ __ __ ___ ____ ___
Taro Ogawa: u93...@student.canberra.edu.au / \| | |/ \| \ / \

Paul Phillips

Mar 13, 1994, 6:51:04 PM3/13/94
You're going to have to do a lot more than learn C. I mean, a *lot*
more. A **lot** more than learn C. What I'm saying here is that you
are going to have to do a ***lot*** more than just learn C.

Ideas are cool... the trick is implementing them. It's fun to sit
down and write out dozens of features that would blow doors off anything
that exists. Then, ponder why someone hasn't already done this.

-Ajaron

bra...@cc.usu.edu

Mar 13, 1994, 9:30:15 PM3/13/94
In article <2m08t8$7...@news.cerf.net>, pa...@is.internic.net (Paul Phillips) writes:
> You're going to have to do a lot more than learn C. I mean, a *lot*
> more. A **lot** more than learn C. What I'm saying here is that you
> are going to have to do a ***lot*** more than just learn C.
>
> Ideas are cool... the trick is implementing them. It's fun to sit
> down and write out dozens of features that would blow doors off anything
> that exists. Then, ponder why someone hasn't already done this.

I could do it in ColdMUD.

-Brandon (Lynx)

(BTW, dont ask me about coldmud, Greg (the developer) is taking a vacation so
it's development it halted).

Jason Noble

Mar 14, 1994, 1:19:54 AM3/14/94
In article <1994Mar13.2...@cc.usu.edu> bra...@cc.usu.edu writes:
>In article <2m08t8$7...@news.cerf.net>, pa...@is.internic.net (Paul Phillips) writes:

>> Ideas are cool... the trick is implementing them.

>I could do it in ColdMUD.
>
>-Brandon (Lynx)

Talk is cheap.

>(BTW, dont ask me about coldmud, Greg (the developer) is taking a vacation so
>it's development it halted).

Convenient, hmm? 8)

Jason Noble |
National Centre for HIV Social Research | jno...@bunyip.bhs.mq.edu.au
Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia |

Ogawa / Taro Stephen (ISE)

Mar 14, 1994, 2:23:16 AM3/14/94
>* Ascii based mini-maps(HackLike) - tell you not only where you are in
> relation to the other rooms, but also in relation to the objects in
> the rooms.

Received a post which made me think that perhaps I'd better give an example:
--------+-
|#.......| (Extended Ascii maps look much better)
|#.@.....| @ - you [Or another human]
|#.......= ! - a Mug of Ale [or any other drink], resting on a stool.
|#......!| = - an Arrow slit
|###.....| # - bookcases [Or other furniture
----- ---- + - a closed door
|.|
@|

If you examined the arrow slit the map might become:

--------+- --+--------
....O.
---

Paul Phillips

Mar 14, 1994, 2:50:23 AM3/14/94
All of it? Then do it. I'll be the first one there.

(The three most common words in the English language - coulda, woulda,
and shoulda.)

-Ajaron@Khavoria