[Mud-Discussion] Multiple PC-IF

David A. Cornelson

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
We had a little chat on the IF Mud about Multiple PC (player character)
Interactive Fiction. In other words...a host game and multiple people could
play the same game at the same time.

The transcript is located at:
http://www.placet.com/int-fiction/multipc-if.html

Jarb

Lelah Conrad

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
I read the transcript. That's not really what I would like to see --
too complicated. I would be interested in simply *playing* IF with
other people, on the net, i.e. being able to see a screen somehow,
like a movie or something, and talking with other people in the
"audience" about what moves we should make next. Then one of us makes
a move. I think this is why I don't play more IF -- I used to play it
with other people, but do this now mostly only at holidays. I really
enjoyed the aspect of talking about a puzzle or challenge with other
people in the early days of the Zorks, etc.

Lelah

Wonder Boy

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Lelah Conrad wrote:

> I read the transcript. That's not really what I would like to see --
> too complicated. I would be interested in simply *playing* IF with
> other people, on the net, i.e. being able to see a screen somehow,
> like a movie or something, and talking with other people in the
> "audience" about what moves we should make next. Then one of us makes
> a move. I think this is why I don't play more IF -- I used to play it
> with other people, but do this now mostly only at holidays. I really
> enjoyed the aspect of talking about a puzzle or challenge with other
> people in the early days of the Zorks, etc.
>
> Lelah

A r*ifer did set something like this up on mIRC the other month.
It was in #infocom on EFNET. It was quite interesting. Of course, it had
its limitations (it couldn't handle .v8 games and boxes and what not), and
I think that it was taken down eventually because of low traffic and low
interest.
Originally, it just had some infocom games but they made it
possible to upload games that would be playable instantly, so I added a
bunch of gmd games. Unfortunately for me, of course, I had already played
most of them, and I think at most times, it was just a case of 'let's
watch another guy play a game with half interest'.
But I think it'd be great if we could find another forum in which
we could do this... where there's maybe a waiting room of sorts, where
people can have a general chat and what not and when they want to, can go
and play an IF game together.
Maybe it's not possible. I know nothing of these things.
-jon
"If I got stranded on a desert island (with electricity)/
And I could bring one record and my hi-fi/
I'd bring that ocean surf cd (Relaxing Sound of Ocean Surf)/
So I could enjoy the irony." - Dylan Hicks

David A. Cornelson

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
In article <36ba4a5c...@news.nu-world.com>,

l...@nu-world.com (Lelah Conrad) wrote:
> I read the transcript. That's not really what I would like to see --
> too complicated. I would be interested in simply *playing* IF with

I like your idea too and agree that part of my lack of 'play time' is that
it's more fun to do it with other people. I started playing Dungeon
(mainframe Zork) on paper terminals with 3 or 4 other people in the room. We
took turns on typing but all discussed how to solve puzzles.

However think about this for a moment. You've written a story that has two
strong characters and the story is great at bringing these two characters
together.

In current IF form, you need to choose which character to make the PC and
which one an NPC.

If we could write a game that would allow us to create both character's as a
PC and give two different points of view to the same game at the same time. I
think it opens up a whole new world of interactive fiction.

Sure it would be complicated. So is what we do now.

Just commenting...

Jarb