A bug in TADS 3? Failure to defaultReport() after double quotes.

19 views
Skip to first unread message

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson

unread,
Jan 31, 2021, 1:25:41 PMJan 31
to
Dear r.a.if,

I've written about this before, in


https://intfiction.org/t/bug-in-tads-how-would-i-edit-a-method-in-tads-3-and-still-retain-the-previous-behaviour/49214/2

Basically, I was trying to model a near sighted person who bends over
to look at/examine the floor.

My first attemt was

modify Floor // [1]
basicExamine() {
"You bend over to see the floor.";
inherited();
}
;

which gives me this, in game.

>x floor
You bend over to see the floor.

It doesn't display the inherited method; I thought that was not working
at all. But it does work. This for, instance

modify Floor // [2]
basicExamine() {
//"You bend over to see the floor.";
inherited();
}
;

shows

>x floor
You see nothing unusual about the floor.

And when I step through [1] I eventually get to

modify RoomPart
desc() { defaultReport(&nothingUnusualAboutMsg, self); }
;

but it doesn't display anything if I have previously printed text
with double quotes. Why is that? Is this a bug in TADS 3?

How can I confirm I'm dealing with a bug? I am using TADS 3.1.3, build
Win121. Do other intpreters/compilers behave differently? Can I easily
try any on Windows?

The TADS bug database is gone, so I don't even know who or where to ask.

--
Johann | email: invalid -> com | www.myrkraverk.com/blog/
I'm not from the Internet, I just work there. | twitter: @myrkraverk

Andy Leighton

unread,
Feb 1, 2021, 10:52:30 AMFeb 1
to
On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 18:25:36 +0000,
Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <joh...@myrkraverk.invalid> wrote:
> Dear r.a.if,
>
> I've written about this before, in
>
>
> https://intfiction.org/t/bug-in-tads-how-would-i-edit-a-method-in-tads-3-and-still-retain-the-previous-behaviour/49214/2

The response about how defaultReport works on intfiction seems reasonable.

> but it doesn't display anything if I have previously printed text
> with double quotes. Why is that? Is this a bug in TADS 3?

Doesn't sound like a bug to me.

--
Andy Leighton => an...@azaal.plus.com
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
- Douglas Adams

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson

unread,
Feb 2, 2021, 12:12:09 PMFeb 2
to
On 01/02/2021 3:52 pm, Andy Leighton wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 18:25:36 +0000,
> Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <joh...@myrkraverk.invalid> wrote:
>> Dear r.a.if,
>>
>> I've written about this before, in
>>
>>
>> https://intfiction.org/t/bug-in-tads-how-would-i-edit-a-method-in-tads-3-and-still-retain-the-previous-behaviour/49214/2
>
> The response about how defaultReport works on intfiction seems reasonable.
>
>> but it doesn't display anything if I have previously printed text
>> with double quotes. Why is that? Is this a bug in TADS 3?
>
> Doesn't sound like a bug to me.

Yes. Seems like an "expected behaviour" but I wasn't expecting it.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages