glulx interpreter for Linux TTY

an...@openbsd.home

Jan 26, 2021, 9:35:40 AM1/26/21
Hello, I am using Linux under TTY with Unicode support, and, just in case
fbterm plus the GNU Unifont font so I can read all the examples from the
infamous utf8-demo.txt file (google it).
Thus, I see no issues with Unicode under the terminal.

Still, I tried playing "Counterfeit Monkey' with both gluxle
and git interpreters, and yet the Greek characters are either
not displayed or scrambled as an ASCII mess.

Is there any terminal interpreter with proper Unicode support?
I tried them under an UXTerm and Noto as the font, but I had no luck.

Frotz, nfrotz and fizmo play Spanish games with accents and 'ñ' with
no issues at all either under X or the TTY, so I guess something
is wrong with these interpreters.

I know about Lectrote, but I'd like to avoid using X and a Chrome
instance to save some resources.

ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid

Jan 26, 2021, 12:50:09 PM1/26/21
an...@openbsd.home wrote:
> Still, I tried playing "Counterfeit Monkey' with both gluxle
> and git interpreters, and yet the Greek characters are either
> not displayed or scrambled as an ASCII mess.
>
> [...] so I guess something is wrong with these interpreters.

It isn't Glulx which is the issue here, but Glk. You will need to link
the Glulx interpreter with a Glk implementation which supports Unicode
(which requires recompiling the Glulx interpreter).

However, I don't know which Glk implementations support a Unicode terminal.
GlkTerm supports Unicode I/O with files, but not with the terminal (it will
display a question mark instead).

--
This signature intentionally left blank.
(But if it has these words, then actually it isn't blank, isn't it?)

an...@openbsd.home

Jan 26, 2021, 2:35:27 PM1/26/21
On 2021-01-26, ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid <ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid> wrote:
> an...@openbsd.home wrote:
>> Still, I tried playing "Counterfeit Monkey' with both gluxle
>> and git interpreters, and yet the Greek characters are either
>> not displayed or scrambled as an ASCII mess.
>>
>> [...] so I guess something is wrong with these interpreters.
>
> It isn't Glulx which is the issue here, but Glk. You will need to link
> the Glulx interpreter with a Glk implementation which supports Unicode
> (which requires recompiling the Glulx interpreter).
>
> However, I don't know which Glk implementations support a Unicode terminal.
> GlkTerm supports Unicode I/O with files, but not with the terminal (it will
> display a question mark instead).

I tried with remglk, glkterm and cheapglk, no luck.

Peter Hull

May 5, 2021, 5:13:04 AM5/5/21
On Tuesday, 26 January 2021 at 19:35:27 UTC, an...@openbsd.home wrote:
> I tried with remglk, glkterm and cheapglk, no luck.

I was able to display unicode characters on fbterm using glulxe with cheapglk, but I had to use the '-u' flag to glulxe, i.e.
glulxe -u [FILE].gblorb

This is with cheapglk 1.0.6 and the current master of glulxe, which I compiled myself on Debian 10.

Hope that helps.