[Announce] IF Fan Fest

Stephen Granade

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Tired of all those other competitions? Wondering how you'll fill that
empty void between now and the release of Avalon/Grim Fandango/whatever
game you're looking forward to?

Wonder no longer.

The IF Fan Fest is a chance for you to demonstrate your powers of parody.
From now until August 3, I'm accepting most any IF-inspired work you'd
like to do. Create a fake ad for a game. Write a parody game, or a parody
transcript. Compose a filksong. Design and render an out-take scene from
your favorite graphic adventure if you want. Really, I'm not picky here.

After the 3rd, I'll organize the entries into categories and invite
everyone to vote on their favorite in each category. Winners will have the
express pleasure of...well, of winning. There are no prizes; the voting is
merely to help spotlight the best of the entries.

For more information, please see
http://interactfiction.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa070698.htm.

Frequently Asked Questions
--------------------------

Q. We've got a month to do anything we want?

A. You bet, within reason.

Q. Within reason, huh? Sounds like you're trying to wiggle out of
something here.

A. No, no, nothing like that. I say "within reason" because I don't want
any truly mean-spirited entries. If I feel that your entry is too
over-the-top, I'll ask you to tone it down a little.

Q. How come nobody's going to win prizes here?

A. I'm extremely cheap.

Q. Do you have any specific examples of things you want to do?

A. Not really. Make a pastiche of someone's writing. Compose a short story
about a group of people playing Myst and hating it. Most anything you
dream up will be okay by me. If you're not sure, send me mail and we'll
talk about it.

Q. Wait a minute. This is the first time anyone's heard of this. How can
there already be a FAQ?

A. This FAQ is over!

--
Stephen Granade | Interested in adventure games?
sgra...@phy.duke.edu | Check out

Lelah Conrad

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:21:51 -0400, Stephen Granade
<sgra...@bohr.phy.duke.edu> wrote:

>The IF Fan Fest is a chance for you to demonstrate your powers of parody.

Ya-a-a-y! Yet another reason to neither eat, sleep, play more IF,
learn to program IF well, or finish my comp game!

Distractions on the left!
Distractions on the right!
Go raifers go!
Let's parody tonite!

Yours truly,
Fanny Festerer

Doeadeer3

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Announcing the "Do Nothing Contest!"

Everyone is a automatically a winner!

Nothing to enter! No prizes!

(But the raifer with the most off topic posts in a two-month period, starting
now, will receive an honorable mention -- a cheesy ribbon.)

Now that's my idea of a contest.

:-) Sowwy my sarcasm is showing. IF Fan Fest actually doesn't sound bad (not
that I will enter, but I might try to win the honorable mention).
Doe doea...@aol.com (formerly known as FemaleDeer)
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain

Dylan O'Donnell

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
doea...@aol.com (Doeadeer3) writes:

> Announcing the "Do Nothing Contest!"
>
> Everyone is a automatically a winner!
>
> Nothing to enter! No prizes!
>
> (But the raifer with the most off topic posts in a two-month period, starting
> now, will receive an honorable mention -- a cheesy ribbon.)

So, Den, what are you going to do with your ribbon? :-)

--
: Dylan O'Donnell : "Are not gross Bodies and Light convertible :
: Demon Internet Ltd : into one another [...] ?" :

Den of Iniquity

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
On 7 Jul 1998, Dylan O'Donnell wrote:

>doea...@aol.com (Doeadeer3) writes:
>> (But the raifer with the most off topic posts in a two-month period,
>> starting now, will receive an honorable mention -- a cheesy ribbon.)
>
>So, Den, what are you going to do with your ribbon? :-)

Eek! I've got a funny feeling I've been had.

Two months? Two months? Yeah, I can do it. I can go without raif for two
months. I've got the sinking sensation that I've already lost.

--
Den

You should see the posts I cancel before I send 'em. There are LOTS. :L)

Matt Ackeret

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
In article <35a10afd...@news.nu-world.com>,

Lelah Conrad <l...@nu-world.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:21:51 -0400, Stephen Granade
><sgra...@bohr.phy.duke.edu> wrote:
>

>>The IF Fan Fest is a chance for you to demonstrate your powers of parody.
>
>Ya-a-a-y! Yet another reason to neither eat, sleep, play more IF,
>learn to program IF well, or finish my comp game!
>
>Distractions on the left!
>Distractions on the right!
Stuck in the middle with a grue
--
mat...@area.com

Irene Callaci

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
Wonderful! I *finally* caught a music reference. Most of them
go right over my head.

irene

Todd Baumann-Fern

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
Was that Steelers Wheel or Jerry Raferty on his own?

Irene Callaci wrote:

> Wonderful! I *finally* caught a music reference. Most of them
> go right over my head.
>
> irene

Matt Ackeret

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
In article <35a385eb....@news.csupomona.edu>,

Irene Callaci <ical...@csupomona.edu> wrote:
>Wonderful! I *finally* caught a music reference. Most of them
>go right over my head.

I meant to supercede my original version, but since switching systems it
thinks my posts are by someone else...

My slightly-fixed version is below.. (yes, I realize I'm adding four
little words, but it makes a better overall impression.)

>>>Distractions on the left!
of me...
>>>Distractions on the right!
of me...

>>Stuck in the middle with a grue

--
mat...@area.com

Doeadeer3

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
>From: Den of Iniquity <dms...@york.ac.uk>
>Date: Tue, Jul 7, 1998 15:09 EDT

>Two months? Two months? Yeah, I can do it. I can go without raif for two
>months. I've got the sinking sensation that I've already lost.

Well, that's why I had the two months start as of now. :-) Hehehe.

Go without??? You have to post to win.

So, what kind of cheese would you like your ribbon to be?

:-)