Educational IF?

Jorn Barger

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95

Has anybody thought about writing IF to teach some subject???

I've been arguing on bit.listserv.edtech (educational technology)
that schools would do a lot better to have lots of cheap lo-tech
text-only pc's ***if there were software available*** because
the glitz-factor isn't worth the price, for education.

Example (stolen from a forthcoming LucasArts CD): your playfield
is a nature reserve, youe NPCs are endangered species, you
have to save them from extinction...?

Jason Dyer

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
Jorn Barger (jo...@MCS.COM) wrote:

: Has anybody thought about writing IF to teach some subject???

Indirect education is usually best. For example, you can learn some
history with Jigsaw, but that isn't the intent of the game. Writing
something with the intent to teach a certain subject tends to make
pretty awful stuff, although it could be done.
As another example, if Beyond the Tesseract were easier, you could
pick up some math and science along the way, but to actually get
anywhere you have to know all about them anyway, so it isn't really
educational. I still have no idea what _y_ing is.

--
Jason Dyer - jd...@indirect.com

David Baggett

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
In article <47dksp$e...@Venus.mcs.com>, Jorn Barger <jo...@MCS.COM> wrote:

>Has anybody thought about writing IF to teach some subject???

I believe Bob Newell's "Pesach Adventure" fits the bill.

>I've been arguing on bit.listserv.edtech (educational technology) that
>schools would do a lot better to have lots of cheap lo-tech text-only pc's
>***if there were software available*** because the glitz-factor isn't worth
>the price, for education.

This is noble, but probably unworkable. Kids know that there are cool
games out there with graphics and sound. I expect they demand the same
from edutainnment.

Like it or not, text is not as accessible as video or audio. It may sound
odd, but reading is hard. It takes patience. I think this is why TV does
so well with kids while printed matter is in decline.

(Maybe you have to try learning to read and write Japanese as a second
language to fylly appreciate this. :)

Dave Baggett
__
d...@ai.mit.edu
"Mr. Price: Please don't try to make things nice! The wrong notes are *right*."
--- Charles Ives (note to copyist on the autograph score of The Fourth of July)

Matthew T. Russotto

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
In article <47ehkp$c...@globe.indirect.com>,
Jason Dyer <jd...@indirect.com> wrote:

}Jorn Barger (jo...@MCS.COM) wrote:
}
}: Has anybody thought about writing IF to teach some subject???
}: I've been arguing on bit.listserv.edtech (educational technology)

}: that schools would do a lot better to have lots of cheap lo-tech
}: text-only pc's ***if there were software available*** because
}: the glitz-factor isn't worth the price, for education.
}: Example (stolen from a forthcoming LucasArts CD): your playfield
}: is a nature reserve, youe NPCs are endangered species, you
}: have to save them from extinction...?
}
}Indirect education is usually best. For example, you can learn some
}history with Jigsaw, but that isn't the intent of the game.

I thought learning the positions of the author was the intent of the
game... oh, no, sorry, I was playing the Footnotes :-)

--
Matthew T. Russotto russ...@pond.com russ...@his.com
of justice is no virtue."