The Muppet show

MAM981

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

Dear Brian

Are you going to put the muppet show back on the air for a while in the future?
I really miss that show

From Maria

Ross Garmil

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

MAM981 (mam...@aol.com) wrote:
: Dear Brian

My name's not Brian.

: Are you going to put the muppet show back on the air for a while in the futur: I really miss that show

What are you talking about? I have no control over that sort of thing?
Who is this?

: From Maria

I'm still not sure I understand why I'm--oh wait, Brian! That's not me!
Now I get it!

Sorry, From Maria, just a little slow on the uptake there, I was I was.

Ross

T. Erik Browne

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

You see, Ross, this is exactly why I say you need a disclaimer. Here you go
scaring the new poster, probably give her huge therapy bills, drive her into
bankruptcy. And for what? A laugh?

Actually, sounds like a good deal for me.

Hah, hah!

(Hey, it's not _my_ therapy bills...)

T. Erik Browne | All operating systems suck.
tbr...@best.com | The sooner you learn this, the better.
"Apparently I'm insane. But I'm one of the happy kinds!"

D.W. McKim

Apr 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/16/98

Brian Henson's stated before that The Muppet Show would be put back on
the air when the time was right (FYI: The Muppet Show, last seen in the
US on Nickelodeon was yanked when Muppets Tonight debuted due to a
"competition clause" in the network contract).

Now, i think it's safe to say the "right time" will be when the proposed
Henson channel goes on the air.

d.w. mcKim

http://members.tripod.com/~dw_m/index.html

"Take me to a quiet place/Throw me in the water/Watch the bubbles
surface/As I'm slowly sinking under"
-Eurythmics; "Aqua"

"I know I'm just killing time/But time is killing me/My eyes are witness
to this crime and looking out to sea"
-Dave Stewart; "St Valentines Day"

"Dying is easy, it's living that scares me to death"
-Annie Lennox; "Cold"

Justin K. Werfel

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

D.W. McKim (dw...@webtv.net) wrote:
: Brian Henson's stated before that The Muppet Show would be put back on
: the air when the time was right...

[Piggy:] Oh, yeah? Well, "right" this! Hii-yaa!!

--Justin Werfel
Without psychoanalysis, we would never know that when we think a thing
the thing we think is not the thing we think we think but only the
thing that makes us think the thing we think we think we think

Jack Union

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

Justin K. Werfel wrote in message <6h8aif$99f$1...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>...

>D.W. McKim (dw...@webtv.net) wrote:
>: Brian Henson's stated before that The Muppet Show would be put back on
>: the air when the time was right...
>
>[Piggy:] Oh, yeah? Well, "right" this! Hii-yaa!!
>
>--Justin Werfel

heheh, well put.

-jack

Emma.D.Shane

Apr 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/17/98

Has Justin been watching the episode where Miss Piggy did Cunta La
Gusta, or listing to Muppet Hits 1, I wonder?

Best Wishes
Emma

In article <6h8aif$99f$1...@cnn.Princeton.EDU>, "Justin K. Werfel"
<jkwe...@sunlab3.Princeton.EDU> writes

--
Emma.D.Shane

Justin K. Werfel

Apr 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/19/98

Emma.D.Shane (E.S...@qsulis.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Has Justin been watching the episode where Miss Piggy did Cunta La

: Gusta, or listing to Muppet Hits 1, I wonder?

I was thinking of the album -- DW's statement was too much like Kermit's
in that short dialogue to ignore. Remind me what happened in the Cuanto
Le Gusta episode again? I've seen the number on the It's The Muppets! tape,
but I can't remember if I've seen the episode it came from.

--Justin

Justin K. Werfel

Apr 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/19/98

problems, reposting...

Emma.D.Shane (E.S...@qsulis.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Has Justin been watching the episode where Miss Piggy did Cunta La
: Gusta, or listing to Muppet Hits 1, I wonder?

I was thinking of the album; DW's statement was too close to Kermit's
to ignore. Remind me what happened in the Cuanto Le Gusta episode? I've
seen the sketch on the It's The Muppets! tape, but I'm not sure I
ever saw the episode it actually came from.

D.W. McKim

Apr 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/19/98

The bit that wasquoted wasn't on the actual show, it was a bit recorded
for the original Muppet Show soundtrack (and later appeared on Muppet
Hits)

The running gag on the record was Piggy pestering Kermit to sing. At
one point:

Do you mind if a ask you a question?

Oh,sure.

WHEN?

Uh, when what?

When do i sing?

Well, you'll sing when the time is right [could possibly be saying ripe]

Oh yeah well right this! HYAA-YAA!

D.W. McKim

Apr 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/19/98

No incident; Kermit introduced Cuento Le Gusta as he would any opening
number.

Although there WAS an exchange (nothing like the record) before "What
Now My Love"...

Kermit berates Staler & Walorf: I'm not going to have any sexist pig
jokes while Miss Bergin is on the show!

Piggy emerges from the curtain: I'm tired of any kind of pig joke!

Uh, Piggy, what are you doing out here?

Kermit, my love, do you realize everytime you have a beautiful girl on
the show, you forget about me?

Yeah, well i could have a trained seal act on the show and i would
forget about you.

(to audience) He tries so desperately to hide his love for me....You
PROMISED I'd get to open the show this week!

Uh...but Piggy, my love my life...

NEVER MIND THAT JAZZ!!!! I've been talking with Mzzzzzzzz Bergan and she
says I should stand up for my rights! Either i sing the opening number
or Mzzzzzzzz Bergan and i WALK!

Okay okay. You can open the show. You get to open the show this week.

Oh what a surprise! <smooch> Kissy Kissy! [Runs back behind curtain]

Never let it be said that the frog is a pig. So anyway ladies and
gentleman here is Mzzzzzzzzzzzzz Piggy....

Justin K. Werfel

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

D.W. McKim (dw...@webtv.net) wrote:
: The bit that wasquoted wasn't on the actual show, it was a bit recorded

: for the original Muppet Show soundtrack (and later appeared on Muppet
: Hits)

: The running gag on the record was Piggy pestering Kermit to sing. At
: one point:

: Do you mind if a ask you a question?

: Oh,sure.

: WHEN?

: Uh, when what?

: When do i sing?

: Well, you'll sing when the time is right [could possibly be saying ripe]

: Oh yeah well right this! HYAA-YAA!

Sure, but on neither album did Piggy go on to sing Cuanto Le Gusta as
a result of this. The thing that finally convinced Kermit was the following
dialogue:

P: [very sweetly] Hello, Kermie...
K: Uh, hi, Piggy.
P: Here I am.
K: Uh, yeah. What are you doing here?
P: Nothing, I just thought I'd wait here while you introduced me.
K: Um, Piggy--
P: Oh, Kermie, it's all riiight. You don't have to introduce me. Because if
you don't, I could always just S.Y.F.F.I.T.F.
K: You could always just S.Y.F.F.I.T.F.?
P: Mm-hmm. [finally abandoning her sing-song tone] STOMP YER FROGGY
FACE INTO THE FLOOR!
K: [clears throat] Uh, ladies and gentlemen: Miss Piggy.
P: Ah! What a surprise!

In Muppet Hits, Piggy goes on to sing Cuanto Le Gusta at this point; in the
original TMS cast album, she sings a song whose title I don't recall, which
is only so-so as a recording but was hilarious on the program -- there are
these backup singers who through the course of the song gradually turn into
monsters, hogging more and more of the spotlight and finally overwhelming
Piggy altogether.

So hopefully all this has put a smile on someone's face, but now we get to
my original question: What incident like the "Well, right THIS!" dialogue
happened on the show around the Cuanto Le Gusta sketch that led Emma
to bring it up in the first place? Or did that dialogue originally occur on
that episode of the show to introduce that number, and only later made
its way to the albums?

--Justin "Well, digress THIS!" Werfel

David Levy

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

Justin K. Werfel <jkwe...@rogue.Princeton.EDU> spewed forth:

> In Muppet Hits, Piggy goes on to sing Cuanto Le Gusta at this point; in the
> original TMS cast album, she sings a song whose title I don't recall, which
> is only so-so as a recording but was hilarious on the program -- there are
> these backup singers who through the course of the song gradually turn into
> monsters, hogging more and more of the spotlight and finally overwhelming
> Piggy altogether.

"What Now My Love"

--
levy, david l.
"Anybody can prevail.

Emma D Shane

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

Piggy emerges from the curtain: I'm tired of any kind of pig joke!

Uh, Piggy, what are you doing out here?

Kermit, my love, do you realize everytime you have a beautiful girl on
the show, you forget about me?

Yeah, well i could have a trained seal act on the show and i would
forget about you.

Like what happend to the Tin Man from The Wizard Of Oz, when he was in a
Broadway Musical called Higher And Higher?

That show reached its comic hights when a trained seal, named Sharkey,
chased him all over the stage, snapping at the seat of his pants.

Best Wishes
Emma

CRIT

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

dw...@webtv.net (D.W. McKim) wrote:
>Now, i think it's safe to say the "right time" will be when the
>proposed Henson channel goes on the air.

Is that like "when hell freezes over"? or is there somehitng contextual
I'm missing 'cos of my geographical isolation and lack of access to any
kind of cable TV?

XXX
CRIT feeling dopey on a friday morn...