If you know "Fridge Logic" welcome to "Brandy Logic" Courtesy of Sherlock and Holmes

Reader in Invisible Writings

Mar 9, 2012, 4:11:48 PM3/9/12
Fridge Logic can be defined* as the bit in a plot that you except when
you watch it, but later (and thus named) when you go to the fridge and
then think "What the... that's impossible"

Then there is what I am christening "Brandy Logic" - which is something
that when you see it you think "What the... how did that happen?" and
then later when you are mulling it over - like drinking a brandy** you
begin to see how it is entirely logical, or at least feasible.

What led me to this was watching the two versions of the "Reichenbach
Falls" plot in both Sherlock Holmes - the movie and Sherlock the BBC TV
drama. Oh and SPOILER WARNING...

In both Sherlock falls to his death...
SPOILER
...but lives on
You accept the reprieve in both cases because the plot finishes at that
point, but my mind wanted to understand how.

MORE SPOILERS - NO MORE WARNINGS
In the movie, we are presented with Holmes' internal prediction of how
the fight will go, with his inevitable loss and fall - so he opts to
jump and take Moriarty with him. Moriarty dies but Holmes lives...
Bandy Logic is that we were not shown any reckoning by Holmes of what
his next move would be, except as they fall M is seen panicking and H is
serene. Is he breathing deeply and getting very relaxed the more able to
sustain a long immersion, an attempt to swim clear of the plunge pool,
to be carried 'rag like' free of the rocks - to survive like a drunk man
can?

In the TV Sherlock jumps off St Bartholomew’s Hospital hospital roof; a
crowd of passers by stop Dr Watson from getting (too) close to Sherlock;
the body is taken way by paramedics and he is buried.
But is seen briefly watching Dr Watson et al mourning at his grave...
Brandy Logic says...
Molly Hooper works in the Morgue in Barts (aka St Bartholomew’s
Hospital) from which SH jumped and was the venue chosen by SH for the
showdown.
There was the dead body of JM on the roof that nobody seemed to mention
later.
SH said to Molly – I need you. Molly is the one detail that MH may not
have known about, otherwise why would JM have agreed to meet on
non-neutral –soil- roof?
Did JM have a SH mask? (how else did the girl recognise SH as the
kidnapper?)
The homeless network could have provided the crowd and the Paramedics?
SH is anonymous again: and incidentally saved his “friends”.
The only question is is it possible to survive such a fall, but not sure
how you guarantee it?

BTW IMDB gives the TV version 9.4 which is nearly perfect for them!

*but not by everyone
**propery

--
Reader in Invisible Writings
Something to Ponder on!

Lesley Weston

Mar 10, 2012, 9:32:15 AM3/10/12
On 03-09-12 1:11 PM, Reader in Invisible Writings wrote:

<snip>

> In the TV Sherlock jumps off St Bartholomew’s Hospital hospital roof; a
> crowd of passers by stop Dr Watson from getting (too) close to Sherlock;
> the body is taken way by paramedics and he is buried.
> But is seen briefly watching Dr Watson et al mourning at his grave...
> Brandy Logic says...
> Molly Hooper works in the Morgue in Barts (aka St Bartholomew’s
> Hospital) from which SH jumped and was the venue chosen by SH for the
> showdown.
> There was the dead body of JM on the roof that nobody seemed to mention
> later.
> SH said to Molly – I need you. Molly is the one detail that MH may not
> have known about, otherwise why would JM have agreed to meet on
> non-neutral –soil- roof?
> Did JM have a SH mask? (how else did the girl recognise SH as the
> kidnapper?)
> The homeless network could have provided the crowd and the Paramedics?
> SH is anonymous again: and incidentally saved his “friends”.
> The only question is is it possible to survive such a fall, but not sure
> how you guarantee it?

That's not what happened, I think. The dead body of JM is what fell, not
the live body of SH. A fall like that is going to make anybody
unrecognisable; the reason to keep JW away is just to make sure he
doesn't catch on.

Reader in Invisible Writings

Mar 10, 2012, 1:48:47 PM3/10/12
A possibility I entertained, see "Did JM have a SH mask?"*, because we
have a close up and it looked like SH not JM - but SH's fall seemed to
seamless. If he had stepped back and then jumped (oh and his arms
flailed around) then I would be happier. *though it also relates to how
the body was passed off as SH when it probably was JM - though it
worries me that SH did not (apparently) check that JM had not just used
a blank and fake blood - but in reality there would have been no mistake
as the back of his head would have been missing (to yuck! for the BBC).

On a fall like that making anyone "unrecognisable" I know of a workman
who fell backwards 20+ metres onto the ground (bare earth) and survived
(though apparently the fact that he fell flat on his back and the
containment of his overalls were key - oh and 12 months in hospital!)

>> BTW IMDB gives the TV version 9.4 which is nearly perfect for them!
>>
>> *but not by everyone
>> **propery

Danny

Mar 10, 2012, 5:36:53 PM3/10/12

> MORE SPOILERS - NO MORE WARNINGS

For both "Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows" and "Sherlock" (BBC), S2E3.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

> In the movie, we are presented with Holmes' internal prediction of how
> the fight will go, with his inevitable loss and fall - so he opts to
> jump and take Moriarty with him. Moriarty dies but Holmes lives...
> Bandy Logic is that we were not shown any reckoning by Holmes of what
> his next move would be, except as they fall M is seen panicking and H is
> serene. Is he breathing deeply and getting very relaxed the more able to
> sustain a long immersion, an attempt to swim clear of the plunge pool,
> to be carried 'rag like' free of the rocks - to survive like a drunk man
> can?

Right at the end of the film, as Watson has finished his typing, he
receives a package, which contains... Mycroft's mini portable oxygen
tank, which Sherlock presumably stole and used to breathe while he was
under water at the falls. Sure, it doesn't explain how he surived the
physical /fall/, but it's a good part of the explanation to the audience.

> In the TV Sherlock jumps off St Bartholomew’s Hospital hospital roof; a
> crowd of passers by stop Dr Watson from getting (too) close to Sherlock;
> the body is taken way by paramedics and he is buried.
> But is seen briefly watching Dr Watson et al mourning at his grave...

> Brandy Logic says...
> Molly Hooper works in the Morgue in Barts (aka St Bartholomew’s
> Hospital) from which SH jumped and was the venue chosen by SH for the
> showdown.

*ding*

> There was the dead body of JM on the roof that nobody seemed to mention
> later.
> SH said to Molly – I need you. Molly is the one detail that MH may not
> have known about, otherwise why would JM have agreed to meet on
> non-neutral –soil- roof?

*ding ding*

A theory I've read elsewhere on the internet explains it as follows:
- when Sherlock jumps, you can see a garbage truck underneath him
- when Watson arrives at the scene, the truck isn't there.
- The explanation given by this theory is that Sherlock jumped into the
truck (where garbage bags softened his fall), and then he jumped out and
splayed himself on the pavement, using Moriarty's blood (from the roof)
for show.
- The man on the bike who knocks Watson over was arranged to do so (as
is presumably most of the crowd), and Watson is probably drugged too, so
he can't see quite clearly.
- The paramedics who take Sherlock's body seems to include Molly, and
they wheel him into an alley, not an ambulance. Plus, super fast
response time! (Ok, yeah, they're on a hospital roof, but is it a
hospital with A&E and ambulances on standby?)

There's enough vagueness in what is shown to the audience that you can
work out a theory of your own similar to the above.

There is the question of who cleaned up Moriarty's body... or if he's
actually dead or not? That one, I haven't got any answer to :)

Seeya. Danny.

GaryN

Mar 11, 2012, 9:48:39 AM3/11/12
Reader in Invisible Writings <markfo...@aim.com> wrote in
I once fell 30 or so feet through a barn roof but fortunately landed
flat on my back on a pile of insulation due to be installed during the
conversion. This was back in the late 70's and it took forever to get
the fibreglass off my body and out of my clothes.

gary

--
"Your Reputation is what people know about you.
Your Honour is what you know about yourself"

Lois McMaster Bujold.