Doctor Who Rare Entries contest DWRE3

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 26, 2006, 11:01:45 AM6/26/06
This is the third Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below.

SHORT RULES

The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
objective is to give an answer that
(1) is correct, and
(2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.

** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

THE QUESTIONS

0. Name a military rank held by a human we have seen.

1. Name a character who at some time is believed dead by at least one
other character, but who is later seen to be restored to life (but not
necessarily perfect health). "Later" should be taken to mean later
in this character's personal timeline.

2. Identify a robot we have seen.

3. Name a person who has contributed to episodes of Doctor Who in at
least two different capacities, but who has never appeared in the
programme as an actor.

4. Name an actor who has appeared as named members of at least two
different alien races. For the purposes of this question,
"appeared" does not include voice-only contributions.

5. Name a website, existing before 26 June 2006, for which Doctor Who
or some aspect of it, is the whole or major focus.

6. Name a non-fictional person we have seen. Names of actors are not
correct answers, unless they are playing themselves.

7. Name a Doctor Who script-editor. A person is a Doctor Who
script-editor if they are credited as such on at least one episode.

8. Name a story featuring at least two of the ten official Doctor Who
actors in some form.

9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.

---

In order to participate in the contest, send your answers to me by
email (tomsa...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 7 July 2006.
It is of course essential that nobody sees the answers given by other
entrants before the deadline, so please do NOT post your answers here!

If there are fewer than 10 entrants, I may not bother working out who's
won, so if this sounds like fun, do encourage others to play.

Make sure you have read the rules before submitting your answers.

YOUR ATTENTION IS SPECIFICALLY DRAWN TO RULE 3. Please supply the
information asked for and only the information asked for. If you supply
two answers, I will take the first one. By way of example, in DWRE2 one
question read: "Some regular or recurring characters have met their
identical doubles. Name one of these doubles". Those who submitted
"Romana / Princess Strella" were deemed to have answered
"Romana" (the first of two answers given) and this was marked
wrong, since I asked for the name of the double, not the name of the
regular character. You have been warned.

1. Answers
For each of the questions above, your objective is to give an answer
that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people
as possible. Feel free to use any reference material you like to
RESEARCH your answers; but when you have found enough possible answers
for your liking, you are expected to choose on your own which one to
submit, WITHOUT mechanical or computer assistance: this is meant to be
a game of wits.

2. Scoring
The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

2.1 More Specific Variants
On some questions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer
that is a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else. In
that case the more specific variant will usually be scored as if the
two answers are different, but the other, less specific variant will be
scored as if they are the same.

2.2 Scoring Example
Say I ask for someone the Doctor has kissed. There are 27 entrants: 19
say "Rose" or "Rose Tyler", 2 say "Cassandra in the body of Rose
Tyler", 4 say "Captain Jack", 1 says "Daphne Ashbrook" and 1 says
"Lynda Moss". The 4 people who answered "Captain Jack" get 4 points
each. Since "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" is a more specific
variant of "Rose Tyler", those who said "Rose Tyler" get 21 points
each, and those who said "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" get 2
points each. The Doctor never kissed actress Daphne Ashbrook (although
he may have kissed Grace Holloway) nor Lynda Moss, so those answers are
both wrong. The persons who gave them both get the penalty score, which
is the median of:
- number of entrants = 27:
- sqrt(27) = 5.196+, rounded up = 6:
- double the most popular answer's count = 21 x 2 = 42:
or in this case, 27.

3. Entries
Entries must be emailed to me personally by email:
tomsa...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the the forum!
In general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization,
English usage, or other such matters of form. Sometimes a specific
question may imply stricter rules, though. And if you give an answer
that properly refers to a different thing related to the one you
intended, I will normally take it as written. Once you intentionally
submit an answer, no changes will be allowed, unless I decide there was
a problem with the question. Similarly, alternate answers within an
entry will not be accepted. Only the first answer that you
intentionally submit counts. You can expect an acknowledgement when I
read your entry. If this bounces, it won't be sent again.

3.1 Clarifications
Questions are not intended to be hard to understand, but I may fail in
this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity could only be
provided by an example which would suggest one or another specific
answer, and I mustn't do that.) In order to be fair to all entrants, I
must insist that requests for clarification must be emailed to me, NOT
POSTED in any mailing list. But if you do ask for clarification, I'll
probably say that the question is clear enough as posted. If I do
decide to clarify or change a question, all entrants will be informed.

3.2 Supporting Information
It is your option whether or not to provide supporting information to
justify your answers. If you don't, I'll email you to ask for it if I
need to. If you provide any explanatory remarks along with your
answers, you are responsible for making it sufficiently clear that they
are not part of the answers. The particular format doesn't matter as
long as you're clear.

4. Scope
Unless a question indicates otherwise, all questions refer to the
transmitted episodes of the BBC television series "Doctor Who" in its
original run from 1963 to 1989, the TV Movie of 1996 and the current
series which began in 2005. Only episodes transmitted at the time of
posting (in this case 26 June 2006) are included, and all other Doctor
Who related works are excluded. This excludes audio plays, comic
strips, spin-offs, TARDISodes, novelisations and probably more.

4.1 "Story" refers to one or more episodes, generally with the same
production code, writer and director, which tell a complete tale. For
the avoidance of doubt, the list of stories with their correct names is
taken to be the list presented on the Outpost Gallifrey Episode Guide
(http://www.gallifreyone.com/epguide.php), with the exceptions that
"Children in Need Special" and any stories listed under "Other
Stories" are excluded. "The Trial of a Time Lord" is considered
to be an honorary story title, as are the individual episode titles for
modern two-parters (which are generally referred to by both episode
titles, thus: "The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances").

RULE CHANGE: Anything which is seen only in the "Previously on..."
or "Next week on..." segments of the 2005- series is not deemed to
be part of that story. Any other flashbacks, recaps or the like are
deemed to be part of that story.

4.2 "Companion" refers to anyone who travelled with the Doctor for two
or more consecutive stories. For the avoidance of doubt, the following
all have companion status: Katarina, Sara Kingdom, Brigadier
Lethbridge-Stewart, Adam, Captain Jack, Mickey. No other UNIT soldiers
have companion status (Harry Sullivan, Liz Shaw and Jo Grant obviously
are companions).

RULE CHANGE: 4.3 "Appears" or "Seen" mean seen on-screen, as opposed to
merely referred to in dialogue or implied. If a character is clearly
heard to speak, then they are deemed to have "appeared" regardless
of whether we see them or not.

4.4 "Alien" means not originating from the planet Earth.

4.5 "Actor" includes both male and female performers, but excludes
stunt-people, stand-ins doubling for a credited actor etc. unless the
question indicates otherwise. Generally a performer who does not
receive a credit is not regarded as an actor.

5. Judging
As moderator, I will be the sole judge of what answers are correct, and
whether two answers with similar meaning are considered the same,
different, or more/less specific variants. I will do my best to be fair
on all such issues, but sometimes it is necessary to be arbitrary. I
may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a serious error and it
affects the high finishers.

6. Results
Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
reasons.

Cheers

Tom Salinsky
tomsa...@googlemail.com

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 26, 2006, 2:29:19 PM6/26/06
> 1. Name a character who at some time is believed dead by at least one
> other character, but who is later seen to be restored to life (but not
> necessarily perfect health). "Later" should be taken to mean later
> in this character's personal timeline.

It has been pointed out to me that "restored to life" could be taken to
imply that a genuine resurrection must have taken place, despite my use
of the phrase "believed dead".

I am therefore changing the wording of this question, in accordance
with rule 3.1 as follows:

1. Name a character who at some time is believed dead by at least one

other character, but who is later seen to be alive (but not necessarily
in perfect health). "Later" should be taken to mean later in this
character's personal timeline.

I do not believe that this affects any answers to this question
submitted already.

Cheers

Tom

Morbius

Jun 26, 2006, 4:34:46 PM6/26/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> This is the third Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
> rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below.
>
> SHORT RULES
>
> The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
> objective is to give an answer that
> (1) is correct, and
> (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.
>
> ** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **
>

> THE QUESTIONS
>
> 0. Name a military rank held by a human we have seen.

Seargent (Benton)

> 1. Name a character who at some time is believed dead by at least one
> other character, but who is later seen to be restored to life (but not
> necessarily perfect health). "Later" should be taken to mean later
> in this character's personal timeline.

Captain Jack Harknes

> 2. Identify a robot we have seen.

SV7

> 3. Name a person who has contributed to episodes of Doctor Who in at
> least two different capacities, but who has never appeared in the
> programme as an actor.

David Whitaker

> 4. Name an actor who has appeared as named members of at least two
> different alien races. For the purposes of this question,
> "appeared" does not include voice-only contributions.

Paul Kasey

> 5. Name a website, existing before 26 June 2006, for which Doctor Who
> or some aspect of it, is the whole or major focus.

The Tardis Builders Guild>

> 6. Name a non-fictional person we have seen. Names of actors are not
> correct answers, unless they are playing themselves.

King Richard

> 7. Name a Doctor Who script-editor. A person is a Doctor Who
> script-editor if they are credited as such on at least one episode.

Dennis Spooner

> 8. Name a story featuring at least two of the ten official Doctor Who
> actors in some form.

The Arc of Infinity

> 9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.

Paul McGann

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 26, 2006, 4:44:13 PM6/26/06
Why?

Tom

Morbius

Jun 27, 2006, 4:40:59 AM6/27/06

> Why?
>
> Tom

What do you mean "why?"

You posted the competition! What's the point if you don't want anyone to
reply with the answers???

Morbius

Marnok.com

Jun 27, 2006, 4:53:32 AM6/27/06

"Morbius" <morb...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

From original post:

** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

hth

--
http://www.marnok.com - if you liked this post, visit me at home!

Morbius

Jun 27, 2006, 4:59:10 AM6/27/06

"Marnok.com" <wizar...@pottermarnok.com> wrote in message

> "Morbius" <morb...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > <tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> >> Why?
> >>
> >> Tom
> >>
> > What do you mean "why?"
> >
> > You posted the competition! What's the point if you don't want anyone to
> > reply with the answers???
> >
> > Morbius
> >

> From original post:
>
> ** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **
>

> hth

Ah. Well he really should have been a bit more clear about that. When you
post questions on a newsgroup some people are bound to answer. Not everyone
reads all of the small print.

Morbius

Marnok.com

Jun 27, 2006, 5:03:37 AM6/27/06

"Morbius" <morb...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Well, you'll know for next time.

Perhaps Tom could rename it the DON'T POST ANSWERS HERE contest DPAH3 :)

dick stagg

Jun 27, 2006, 5:17:57 AM6/27/06

> THE QUESTIONS
>
> 0. Name a military rank held by a human we have seen.

Lots to choose from! Brigadier, Corporal, Seargent, Lance-Corporal, Captain.

> 1. Name a character who at some time is believed dead by at least one
> other character, but who is later seen to be restored to life (but not
> necessarily perfect health). "Later" should be taken to mean later
> in this character's personal timeline.

Any one of the Doctor's companions could fall into this catagory! You should
re-phrase the question.

but I will go for good old Davros

> 2. Identify a robot we have seen.

Mechanoid, Chumblie, VOC robots, Yeti, War Machines, Toymakers robot,
Cybermat, Quarks, Mining Robot, K1 (Giant Robot)...the list is huge. You
shoulod be more specific! The show spans 43 years!

> 3. Name a person who has contributed to episodes of Doctor Who in at
> least two different capacities, but who has never appeared in the
> programme as an actor.

Barry Letts?

> 4. Name an actor who has appeared as named members of at least two
> different alien races. For the purposes of this question,
> "appeared" does not include voice-only contributions.

Michael Wisher

> 5. Name a website, existing before 26 June 2006, for which Doctor Who
> or some aspect of it, is the whole or major focus.

Not very hard! Outpost Gallifrey but there are loads!Again..be more
specific! How are we to know which one you are thinking of????

> 6. Name a non-fictional person we have seen. Names of actors are not
> correct answers, unless they are playing themselves.

Leonardo Da Vinci (City of Death)

> 7. Name a Doctor Who script-editor. A person is a Doctor Who
> script-editor if they are credited as such on at least one episode.

You could have any of these....

David Whitaker

Dennis Spooner

Donald Tosh

Gerry Davis

Peter Bryant

Victor Pemberton

Derrick Sherwin

Terrance Dicks

Robert Holmes

Anthony Read

Douglas Adams

Christopher H. Bidmead

Anthony Root

Eric Saward

Andrew Cartmel

Elwen Rowlands

Helen Raynor

Simon Winstone

> 8. Name a story featuring at least two of the ten official Doctor Who
> actors in some form.

The Three Doctors, the Two Doctors, The Five Doctors...need I go on ? Way
too easy!

> 9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.

Not even worth answering....any fan worth his salt can answer this one!!!!

> ---
Please try harder next time and ask questions with only ONE specific answer!

How are we meant to know what answer your thinking of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dick

Marnok.com

Jun 27, 2006, 5:31:07 AM6/27/06

"dick stagg" <gre...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> Please try harder next time and ask questions with only ONE specific
> answer!
>
> How are we meant to know what answer your thinking of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Dick

Oh no, not another!

Don't post answers here, Dick!

Also the whole point is, there ARE multiple answers and you are supposed to
find the one the fewest other people will give.

Read the original post again (not just the questions) and it will all become
clear. You'll be surprised just HOW MUCH you missed the point here, and how
that could've been avoided by reading.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 27, 2006, 5:41:57 AM6/27/06
The point is explained perfectly clearly, and the instruction not to
post answers here is immediately above the questions, indicated by
asterisks and capital letters.

I have done my best to make it idiot-proof, but nothing - alas - can be
made troll-proof.

Pity.

Cheers

Tom

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 27, 2006, 5:43:22 AM6/27/06
> Well, you'll know for next time.

I doubt there will be a next time.

Cheers

Tom

dick stagg

Jun 27, 2006, 5:47:51 AM6/27/06
> Oh no, not another!
>
> Don't post answers here, Dick!
>

> Also the whole point is, there ARE multiple answers and you are supposed
> find the one the fewest other people will give.
>
> Read the original post again (not just the questions) and it will all
become
> clear. You'll be surprised just HOW MUCH you missed the point here, and
how
> that could've been avoided by reading.
>
> --
> http://www.marnok.com - if you liked this post, visit me at home!

I would like to apologise to Tom for wrecking his competition. I didn't
fully read the rules and jumped right in at the deep end! Sorry Tom! please
don't be dis-heartened and please don't give up! Hopefully the idiots like
me amongst us understand now!

Apologies once more!

Dick

dick stagg

Jun 27, 2006, 5:49:05 AM6/27/06

"dick stagg" <gre...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

If its of any help I've tried to recall my post from the news server.

Dick

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 27, 2006, 5:50:02 AM6/27/06
Many thanks for these words, Dick. By all means enter the competition
in the traditional way if you wish to.

Cheers

Tom

Morbius

Jun 27, 2006, 5:51:24 AM6/27/06

> The point is explained perfectly clearly, and the instruction not to
> post answers here is immediately above the questions, indicated by
> asterisks and capital letters.
>
> I have done my best to make it idiot-proof, but nothing - alas - can be
> made troll-proof.
>
> Pity.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Sorry Tom won't happen again. I also didn't fully read all of the rules.
Please don't give up on this.

Morbius

Marnok.com

Jun 27, 2006, 6:02:41 AM6/27/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

That's a shame, this was fun.

Marnok.com

Jun 27, 2006, 6:04:25 AM6/27/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> The point is explained perfectly clearly, and the instruction not to
> post answers here is immediately above the questions, indicated by
> asterisks and capital letters.
>
> I have done my best to make it idiot-proof, but nothing - alas - can be
> made troll-proof.
>
> Pity.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

If you (or someone) ever did decide to do anothe of these, it might be an
idea to not post the questions here, but email the questions to those who
request them? Trouble is that's more work, but might cut down the accidents
and carelessness.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 27, 2006, 6:34:55 AM6/27/06
Yes, I had already considered that, and that is indeed what i may end
up doing.

Cheers

Tom

Gilgamesh

Jun 27, 2006, 7:10:51 AM6/27/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Clarrification on this question please.
Some people have responded with non-fictional characters played by actors.
Do you mean a person appearing who plays themself?

solar penguin

Jun 27, 2006, 9:11:23 AM6/27/06

"Morbius" <morb...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> "Marnok.com" <wizar...@pottermarnok.com> wrote in message
> >

> > From original post:
> >
> > ** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST
> > ANSWERS HERE **
> >

> Ah. Well he really should have been a bit more clear about that. When
> you post questions on a newsgroup some people are bound to answer.
> Not everyone reads all of the small print.

Small print? A headline in capital letters highlighted by asterisks is
small print? You're joking, right?

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

solar penguin

Jun 27, 2006, 9:20:16 AM6/27/06

"dick stagg" <gre...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> > 7. Name a Doctor Who script-editor. A person is a Doctor
> > Who script-editor if they are credited as such on at least one
> > episode.
>
> You could have any of these....
>
> David Whitaker
> Dennis Spooner
> Donald Tosh
> Gerry Davis
> Peter Bryant
> Victor Pemberton
> Derrick Sherwin
> Terrance Dicks
> Robert Holmes
> Anthony Read
> Douglas Adams
> Christopher H. Bidmead
> Anthony Root
> Eric Saward
> Andrew Cartmel
> Elwen Rowlands
> Helen Raynor
> Simon Winstone

No. Some of those weren't _credited_ as script editor even though they
did edit scripts.

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 9:26:58 AM6/27/06
In article <e7qrol$1bk$1...@nntp.aioe.org>,

In a contest, no answers posted from other posters.
--
Member - Liberal International
This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 9:26:26 AM6/27/06
In article <CaGdnSOewtx...@giganews.com>,

Marnok.com <wizar...@pottermarnok.com> wrote:

>"Morbius" <morb...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> <tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>> What do you mean "why?"
>>
>> You posted the competition! What's the point if you don't want anyone to
>> reply with the answers???
>>
>> Morbius
>>

>From original post:
>
>** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

Makes full sense.

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 9:26:06 AM6/27/06
In article <e7qqmj$tnv$1...@nntp.aioe.org>,

This reminds me of the Prisoner.

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 9:27:24 AM6/27/06
In article <I46dnY5MouL...@giganews.com>,

ROTFLOL!! QUOTEFILE!

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 9:27:54 AM6/27/06
In article <FbCdnaSTI8s...@giganews.com>,

Such are people who do not get contests.

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 9:28:46 AM6/27/06
In article <e7qv05$udk$1...@paola.aioe.org>,

I wonder if Tom will cyberized you.

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 9:28:20 AM6/27/06
In article <1151401402.3...@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>,

tomsa...@googlemail.com <tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Well, you'll know for next time.
>
>I doubt there will be a next time.

Getting the Dalek out?

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 9:29:28 AM6/27/06
In article <e7quqg$l45$1...@nntp.aioe.org>,

Read first then answer questions.

Major ChrisB

Jun 27, 2006, 10:50:25 AM6/27/06

"Gilgamesh" <gilg...@spam.me.not> wrote in message

thats what I thought but i figured that there couldn't have been enough
non-fictional people appearing in the show as themselves for the spirit of
this quiz so I assume he's looking for a real life person played by an
actor. like if Peter Kay appeared as Tony Blair the answer would be Tony
Blair...of course I'm sure if tony blair had appeared as himself that would
also be an appropriate answer

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 27, 2006, 11:47:27 AM6/27/06
Please can we confine all requests for clarification to emails to me,
and refrain from marking any answers posted here. I may disagree with
your rulings.

Cheers

Tom

Stephen Wilson

Jun 27, 2006, 12:25:55 PM6/27/06

> <tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>> The point is explained perfectly clearly, and the instruction not to
>> post answers here is immediately above the questions, indicated by
>> asterisks and capital letters.
>>
>> I have done my best to make it idiot-proof, but nothing - alas - can be
>> made troll-proof.
>>
>> Pity.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Tom
>

> If you (or someone) ever did decide to do anothe of these, it might be an
> idea to not post the questions here, but email the questions to those who
> request them? Trouble is that's more work, but might cut down the
> accidents and carelessness.

A better idea maybe would be to put the questions up on a web page and just
post the link to the questions here.

Major ChrisB

Jun 27, 2006, 1:34:03 PM6/27/06

> Please can we confine all requests for clarification to emails to me,
> and refrain from marking any answers posted here.

thats why I used an hypothetical example and not a real one

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 5:16:48 PM6/27/06
In article <TAbog.59541$jP6....@fe35.usenetserver.com>,

:-) QUOTEFILE!!

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 5:17:29 PM6/27/06
In article <1151423246....@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

tomsa...@googlemail.com <tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>Please can we confine all requests for clarification to emails to me,
>and refrain from marking any answers posted here. I may disagree with
>your rulings.

Good stirring up of the pot. Oh! Well.

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 5:19:58 PM6/27/06
In article <n_cog.62065$uP.3...@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>,

Read rules before answering questions.

I was a trivia master here before.

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 5:21:18 PM6/27/06
In article <i_dog.3136$uK4....@fe16.usenetserver.com>,

Newsgroups charters please.

Monsieur Tabernac

Jun 27, 2006, 5:44:47 PM6/27/06
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:19:58 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
(The Doctor) wrote:

>Read rules before answering questions.

Oh the irony!

Stephen Wilson

Jun 27, 2006, 5:54:06 PM6/27/06

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

> In article <i_dog.3136$uK4....@fe16.usenetserver.com>,
> Major ChrisB <cgbrannig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>><tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>>> Please can we confine all requests for clarification to emails to me,
>>> and refrain from marking any answers posted here.
>>
>>thats why I used an hypothetical example and not a real one
>>

> Newsgroups charters please.

For...??

The Doctor

Jun 27, 2006, 8:26:59 PM6/27/06
In article <2Ohog.20328$OT.1...@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>,

These groups.

Stephen Wilson

Jun 28, 2006, 3:41:08 AM6/28/06

> In article <2Ohog.20328$OT.1...@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>,
> Stephen Wilson <sr.w...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>> Newsgroups charters please.
>>
>>For...??
>>

> These groups.

Because...?

The Doctor

Jun 28, 2006, 8:13:12 AM6/28/06
In article <ooqog.23439$Z61....@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>,

Stephen Wilson <sr.w...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <2Ohog.20328$OT.1...@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>,
>> Stephen Wilson <sr.w...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>>For...??
>>>

>> These groups.
>
>Because...?

I doubt the charters forbid hyothetical examples.

Stephen Wilson

Jun 28, 2006, 12:36:15 PM6/28/06

> In article <ooqog.23439$Z61....@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>,
> Stephen Wilson <sr.w...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>> These groups.
>>
>>Because...?
>>

> I doubt the charters forbid hyothetical examples.

Yads, the whole point of a hypothetical example is that it exists as a
concept, not as a reality.

The Doctor

Jun 28, 2006, 6:21:43 PM6/28/06
In article <3eyog.12730$IU2....@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>,

It is called the contest section.

Jun 29, 2006, 5:58:37 AM6/29/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> This is the third Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
> rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below.
>
> THE QUESTIONS

> 5. Name a website, existing before 26 June 2006, for which Doctor Who
> or some aspect of it, is the whole or major focus.

Tom , your going to be so disappointed if no-one mentions OG :-)

> 8. Name a story featuring at least two of the ten official Doctor Who
> actors in some form.

The 4 Doctors ?

> 9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.

Not again.Can't we have a question like :
Name an alien that looks like it's suffering from an STD ?

Rob Wynne

Jun 30, 2006, 7:10:19 AM6/30/06
In rec.arts.drwho dick stagg <gre...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> 8. Name a story featuring at least two of the ten official Doctor Who
>> actors in some form.
>
>The Three Doctors, the Two Doctors, The Five Doctors...need I go on ? Way
>too easy!

You forgot Arc of Infinity, The Tenth Planet, Planet of Spiders,
Robot, Logopolis, and Caves of Androzani. :)

I forget if TBaker appeared in the first few minutes of Castrovalva.

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

The Doctor

Jun 30, 2006, 8:11:18 AM6/30/06
In article <vE7pg.20$W15...@eagle.america.net>,

Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:
>In rec.arts.drwho dick stagg <gre...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>> 8. Name a story featuring at least two of the ten official Doctor Who
>>> actors in some form.
>>
>>The Three Doctors, the Two Doctors, The Five Doctors...need I go on ? Way
>>too easy!
>>

>You forgot Arc of Infinity, The Tenth Planet, Planet of Spiders,
>Robot, Logopolis, and Caves of Androzani. :)
>
>I forget if TBaker appeared in the first few minutes of Castrovalva.

And then there is Time and the Rani.

solar penguin

Jun 30, 2006, 6:04:31 PM6/30/06
The Doctor <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> In article <vE7pg.20$W15...@eagle.america.net>,
> Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Three Doctors, the Two Doctors, The Five Doctors...need I go on
>>> ? Way too easy!
>>>
>> You forgot Arc of Infinity, The Tenth Planet, Planet of Spiders,
>> Robot, Logopolis, and Caves of Androzani. :)
>>
>> I forget if TBaker appeared in the first few minutes of Castrovalva.
>
> And then there is Time and the Rani.

Are you sure?

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

** You can kill yourself now because you're dead in the world with a guy
in a fire within.

** What exactly are you challenging though? It's so silly!

The Doctor

Jun 30, 2006, 7:19:48 PM6/30/06
In article <e846tr$tvd$1...@nntp.aioe.org>,

solar penguin <solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote:
>The Doctor <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>> In article <vE7pg.20$W15...@eagle.america.net>,
>> Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:

>>> You forgot Arc of Infinity, The Tenth Planet, Planet of Spiders,
>>> Robot, Logopolis, and Caves of Androzani. :)
>>>
>>> I forget if TBaker appeared in the first few minutes of Castrovalva.
>>
>> And then there is Time and the Rani.
>
>Are you sure?

Yes HAL.

solar penguin

Jun 30, 2006, 8:21:51 PM6/30/06

Yads said:

> In article <e846tr$tvd$1...@nntp.aioe.org>,
> solar penguin <solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote:

>> Yads said:

>>> And then there is Time and the Rani.
>>
>> Are you sure?
>>

> Yes HAL.

Ok, then, tell us... Which "two of the ten official Doctor Who actors"
appear in "Time and the Rani"?

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

** There is a collection of stories about me. You called me a mindless
philosopher, you overweight glob of grease! Now come out.

The Doctor

Jun 30, 2006, 8:28:30 PM6/30/06
In article <e84eul$hmg$1...@nntp.aioe.org>,

solar penguin <solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote:

>Yads said:
>
>> In article <e846tr$tvd$1...@nntp.aioe.org>,
>> solar penguin <solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote:

>>> Are you sure?
>>>

>> Yes HAL.
>
>Ok, then, tell us... Which "two of the ten official Doctor Who actors"
>appear in "Time and the Rani"?

You know there was only one HAl. Ad the other was just clips
from the previous season.

Monsieur Tabernac

Jun 30, 2006, 8:31:41 PM6/30/06
On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 01:21:51 +0100, "solar penguin"

<solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote:
>Yads said:
>
>> In article <e846tr$tvd$1...@nntp.aioe.org>,
>> solar penguin <solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote:

>>> Are you sure?
>>>
>> Yes HAL.
>
>Ok, then, tell us... Which "two of the ten official Doctor Who actors"
>appear in "Time and the Rani"?

Oh, to be fair to the Yadster, I think his point was that Colin Baker
did NOT appear in the regeneration sequence to McCoy. Of course,
quite why he thought it was relevant to mention this point (which is
the complete opposite of the line of discussion) is a secret known
only to him. Quite frankly, the day we truly understand the way Yads'
mind works is a grim day for humankind.

BTW, in the perplexing Jeremy Thorpe thread, you mentioned that the
last time Yads was broiled over his Thorpisms, he segued into a
diatribe about JK Rowlings & Jackie Tyler being drug addicts. Curious:
did you invent those details as typical Yads behavior? If so, very
funny indeed. If not, then even funnier! :)

solar penguin

Jun 30, 2006, 8:32:02 PM6/30/06

Yads said:

> solar penguin <solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Yads said:
>>
>>> solar penguin <solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk>

>>> Yes HAL.
>>
>> Ok, then, tell us... Which "two of the ten official Doctor Who
>> actors" appear in "Time and the Rani"?
>>

> You know there was only one HAl. Ad the other was just clips
> from the previous season.

So why say "And then there is Time and the Rani," in a thread answering
the question "Name a story featuring at least two of the ten official
Doctor Who actors in some form"?

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _
\__ \/ _ \| |/ _` || '_| | _// -_)| ' \ / _` || || || || ' \
|___/\___/|_|\__,_||_| |_| \___||_||_|\__, | \_,_||_||_||_|
|___/
http://www.freewebs.com/solar_penguin/

** I live in Naggaroth, the geographic equivalent of North America in
the criminal world of dark age of a rather nice trio.

The Doctor

Jun 30, 2006, 8:33:31 PM6/30/06
In article <e84fho$pea$1...@nntp.aioe.org>,

A clip for the CB Era with a shot of CB does count.

The Doctor

Jun 30, 2006, 8:35:57 PM6/30/06
In article <vbgba2h7tu9oq4kkm...@4ax.com>,

Groups.google.com has the evidence.

solar penguin

Jun 30, 2006, 8:50:30 PM6/30/06

Monsieur Tabernac <mtab...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, in the perplexing Jeremy Thorpe thread, you mentioned that the
> last time Yads was broiled over his Thorpisms, he segued into a
> diatribe about JK Rowlings & Jackie Tyler being drug addicts. Curious:
> did you invent those details as typical Yads behavior? If so, very
> funny indeed. If not, then even funnier! :)

It was a slightly exaggerated version of what Yads really said, based on
my rather confused memories of that conversation.

IIRC he announced, out of nowhere, the "Jackie is a drugs addict."
People thought he meant Jackie Tyler, and talked at cross purposes for a
while, before someone worked out that he thought "JK Rowling" was called
"Jackie Rowling". (Presumably he'd only heard her name pronounced out
loud, and never seen it written down, or something like that.)

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

** Elements will come across more than a computer program.

** They came and took up his repertoire!

Monsieur Tabernac

Jun 30, 2006, 9:13:15 PM6/30/06
On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 00:33:31 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The
Doctor) wrote:

>In article <e84fho$pea$1...@nntp.aioe.org>,
>solar penguin <solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote:
>>So why say "And then there is Time and the Rani," in a thread answering
>>the question "Name a story featuring at least two of the ten official
>>Doctor Who actors in some form"?
>>

>A clip for the CB Era with a shot of CB does count.

But was there a clip of Colin Baker in "Time and the Rani"?

Stephen Wilson

Jul 1, 2006, 6:42:55 AM7/1/06

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

I don't remember such a clip. I remember Sylvester McCoy lying on the floor
in Colin Baker's costume, wearing a wig.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 1, 2006, 6:49:45 AM7/1/06
Please can we confine discussion about right and wrong answers until
after the contest is over and I have made my rulings?

Cheers

Tom

The Doctor

Jul 1, 2006, 10:59:24 AM7/1/06
In article <Pkspg.14010$IU2....@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>,

IIRC the start was taken during the CB Era.