Doctor Who Rare Entries contest DWRE4 - New Series only

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 11, 2006, 7:57:00 AM7/11/06
This is the fourth Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below. Note
that this time round, all questions apply only to the new series which
debuted in 2005. Answers relying on information from episodes broadcast
before that date will be marked wrong.

SHORT RULES

The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
objective is to give an answer that
(1) is correct, and
(2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.

** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

THE QUESTIONS

0. Name someone who has seen the TARDIS appear or disappear.

1. Name an actor who has appeared in both the new series of Doctor Who
and in any episode or episodes of "The Bill"

2. Name something there were exactly three of in the new series.

3. Name someone who received a credit on at least one episode of the
new series, but who did not in fact work on that episode.

4. Name a piece of Time Lord technology we have seen in the new series.

5. Name something which exists in the world today, which also features
in the fictional world of the new series stories, and which did not
exist in 1989.

6. Name somewhere the TARDIS has landed.

7. Name an alien race which we have seen at least two members of, and
heard at least one speak.

8. Some people who have contributed to Doctor Who episodes have written
other things. Name one such thing first made available to the public
after at least one of that person's Doctor Who episodes was
transmitted.

9. Name someone who has been credited on every single episode of the
new series.

In order to participate in the contest, send your answers to me by
email (tomsa...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 21 July 2006.
It is of course essential that nobody sees the answers given by other
entrants before the deadline, so please do NOT post your answers here!

If there are fewer than 10 entrants, I may not bother working out who's
won, so if this sounds like fun, do encourage others to play.

Make sure you have read the rules before submitting your answers.

YOUR ATTENTION IS SPECIFICALLY DRAWN TO RULE 3. Please supply the
information asked for and only the information asked for. If you supply
two answers, or appear to supply two answers, I will take the first
one.

1. Answers
For each of the questions above, your objective is to give an answer
that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people
as possible. Feel free to use any reference material you like to
RESEARCH your answers; but when you have found enough possible answers
for your liking, you are expected to choose on your own which one to
submit, WITHOUT mechanical or computer assistance: this is meant to be
a game of wits.

2. Scoring
The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

2.1 More Specific Variants
On some questions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer
that is a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else. In
that case the more specific variant will usually be scored as if the
two answers are different, but the other, less specific variant will be
scored as if they are the same.

2.2 Scoring Example
Say I ask for someone the Doctor has kissed. There are 27 entrants: 19
say "Rose" or "Rose Tyler", 2 say "Cassandra in the body of Rose
Tyler", 4 say "Captain Jack", 1 says "Daphne Ashbrook" and 1 says
"Lynda Moss". The 4 people who answered "Captain Jack" get 4 points
each. Since "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" is a more specific
variant of "Rose Tyler", those who said "Rose Tyler" get 21 points
each, and those who said "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" get 2
points each. The Doctor never kissed actress Daphne Ashbrook (although
he may have kissed Grace Holloway) nor Lynda Moss, so those answers are
both wrong. The persons who gave them both get the penalty score, which
is the median of:
- number of entrants = 27:
- sqrt(27) = 5.196+, rounded up = 6:
- double the most popular answer's count = 21 x 2 = 42:
or in this case, 27.

3. Entries
Entries must be emailed to me personally by email:
tomsa...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the the forum!
In general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization,
English usage, or other such matters of form. Sometimes a specific
question may imply stricter rules, though. And if you give an answer
that properly refers to a different thing related to the one you
intended, I will normally take it as written. Once you intentionally
submit an answer, no changes will be allowed, unless I decide there was
a problem with the question. Similarly, alternate answers within an
entry will not be accepted. Only the first answer that you
intentionally submit counts. You can expect an acknowledgement when I
read your entry. If this bounces, it won't be sent again.

3.1 Clarifications
Questions are not intended to be hard to understand, but I may fail in
this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity could only be
provided by an example which would suggest one or another specific
answer, and I mustn't do that.) In order to be fair to all entrants, I
must insist that requests for clarification must be emailed to me, NOT
POSTED in any mailing list. But if you do ask for clarification, I'll
probably say that the question is clear enough as posted. If I do
decide to clarify or change a question, all entrants will be informed.

3.2 Supporting Information
It is your option whether or not to provide supporting information to
justify your answers. If you don't, I'll email you to ask for it if I
need to. If you provide any explanatory remarks along with your
answers, you are responsible for making it sufficiently clear that they
are not part of the answers. The particular format doesn't matter as
long as you're clear.

4. Scope - TEMPORARY RULE CHANGE FOR DWRE4
Unless a question indicates otherwise, all questions refer to the
transmitted episodes of the BBC television series "Doctor Who" in its
current incarnation which began in 2005. Only episodes transmitted at
the time of posting (in this case 11 July 2006) are included, and all
other Doctor Who related works are excluded. This excludes audio plays,
comic strips, spin-offs, TARDISodes, novelisations and probably more
from the scope of the contest.

4.1 For the purposes of DWRE4 only, the television series "Doctor
Who" is considered to be a collection of discrete episodes, generally
45 minutes in length, some of which can also be thought of as
comprising two parts of one story. The episode titles are those
displayed on the screen at the beginning of the episode and are the
only titles which should be used to identify episodes, regardless of
whether or not they happen to be one part of a two-episode story.

Anything which is seen only in the "Previously on..." or "Next
week on..." segments of the 2005- series is not deemed to be part of
that story. Any other flashbacks, recaps or the like are deemed to be
part of that story.

4.2 "Companion" refers to anyone who travelled with the Doctor for two
or more consecutive stories. For the avoidance of doubt, the following
all have companion status: Adam, Captain Jack, Mickey.

RULE CHANGE 4.3 "Appears" or "Seen" mean seen on-screen, as opposed to
merely referred to in dialogue or implied. If a character is clearly
heard to speak, then they, and the actor who played them, are deemed to
have "appeared" regardless of whether we see them or not.

RULE CHANGE 4.4 "Alien" means not originating from the planet Earth. A
character is considered a member of an alien race if they do not look
entirely human, or if despite looking human, their planet of birth is
not Earth and they are not referred to as human (or it can be shown
that they are not accurately referred to as human).

4.5 "Actor" includes both male and female performers, but excludes
stunt-people, stand-ins doubling for a credited actor etc. unless the
question indicates otherwise. Generally a performer who does not
receive a credit is not regarded as an actor.

5. Judging
As moderator, I will be the sole judge of what answers are correct, and
whether two answers with similar meaning are considered the same,
different, or more/less specific variants. I will do my best to be fair
on all such issues, but sometimes it is necessary to be arbitrary. I
may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a serious error and it
affects the high finishers.

6. Results
Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
reasons.

Have fun

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 11, 2006, 12:10:41 PM7/11/06
This is not strictly a rewording of a question, but a note on
interpretation. Where question 4 is concerned, absent other evidence, I
am considering any item of technology originating with The Doctor to be
Time Lord technology.

Cheers

Tom

The Doctor

Jul 11, 2006, 5:00:18 PM7/11/06
In article <1152634241....@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,

Thank you for the clarification.
--
Member - Liberal International
This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca

Major ChrisB

Jul 11, 2006, 6:51:14 PM7/11/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> This is the fourth Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
> rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below. Note
> that this time round, all questions apply only to the new series which
> debuted in 2005. Answers relying on information from episodes broadcast
> before that date will be marked wrong.

replied!

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 21, 2006, 9:23:46 AM7/21/06
Answers were slower than usual to come in, but we ended up with 30; a
decent number, but less than I hoped given for the theoretically
greater appeal of the New Series contest. Joint winners are Neil Toynay
and Wilf with an excellent score of just 16. First-time entrant
Dannyboy is third with a very impressive 60, despite one wrong answer -
and these in a contest with the worst scores well into the millions!
Congratulations to them, Here are the top answer slates (slightly
abbreviated). Use a monospaced font for proper alignment.

NEIL TOYNAY WILF DANNYBOY
0 Matt K9 Mark IV Captain Reynolds
1 Lucy Robinson Simon Greenall Jo Stone-Fewings
2 Stories w/ Pete Tyler Eps w/ P. Wilton Writers start w/M
3 Dave Martin Marc Platt Kit Pedler
4 K9 Mark IV Ghost hunting kit Dimens'l Trans'ism
5 National Lottery Big Brother News clips on phones
6 Tizana's pizza Albion Hospital Between two crates
7 Sisters of Plenitude Sisters of Plenitude Sycorax
8 Jump Mr Malinoff,Jump DWM diary [WRONG]
9 Peter Chester Dave Houghton Endaf Emyr Williams

To review the scoring:

The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

Here is the complete table of scores.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1 16 Neil Toynay 4 1 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 1
= 16 Wilf 1 2 1 1 1 1 2 2 1 2
3 60 DannyBoy 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 5 WR 1
4 192 mw_x 4 2 1 1 1 2 1 6 1 2
5 288 chriskelk 1 2 1 8 1 3 2 3 1 1
6 1,680 BeyondtheVoid 2 2 1 5 1 1 2 3 2 7
7 1,920 Christopher Gerardy 4 2 4 5 1 1 2 6 1 1
8 3,360 Jonathan Morris 2 2 4 5 2 1 1 3 1 7
9 3,456 JesseS 1 1 4 8 2 1 2 3 3 3
10 5,376 Llama Roddy 1 2 1 8 2 2 1 6 2 7
11 5,400 Ceadge 1 2 1 5 12 1 1 5 3 3
12 7,680 Fortmap 6 2 1 8 4 1 1 5 2 2
13 8,640 Yohinchild 5 1 1 2 4 1 3 6 WR 2
14 9,072 BTN 3 1 1 6 2 1 2 6 3 7
15 12,096 Hotmissile 2 2 1 6 12 1 2 3 1 7
16 13,440 John Dorney 6 1 1 8 4 1 1 5 1 WR
17 15,120 Peter Scandrett 5 1 1 6 1 1 2 6 3 WR
18 19,200 Andrew Lowrie 1 3 2 4 2 5 8 5 2 1
19 23,328 Affirmation 6 2 1 6 12 1 3 3 3 1
20 24,192 exterminateallhumans 6 3 1 8 2 3 2 1 1 WR
21 28,800 Dave Jones 6 2 WR 5 2 5 2 3 1 1
22 31,104 Biggles 2 2 1 6 12 1 1 6 WR 3
23 34,560 Sean 4 2 1 4 12 5 1 3 2 3
= 34,560 Simon Kinnear 5 2 1 8 4 3 3 6 1 2
25 48,384 cols123 3 1 1 WR 2 1 3 2 WR WR
26 77,760 Artyclarty 3 2 1 6 1 WR 3 6 WR 2
27 311,040 Chris Brannigan 6 1 2 4 12 5 1 6 WR 3
28 1,161,216 kiwikat 1 WR WR WR 2 3 1 6 WR 7
29 2,721,600 Aaon 5 3 4 4 12 5 3 3 3 7
30 8,294,400 Michael S Collins 5 1 WR 8 12 WR 2 6 WR 3

Here is the complete list of answers given. Each list shows correct
answers in the order worst to best (most to least popular). >>>
indicates that the "more specific variant" scoring was used.

There was no problem with public posting of answers this time round,
I'm pleased to say.

0. Name someone who has seen the TARDIS appear or disappear.

6 The Doctor (The Parting of the Ways)
5 Charles Dickens
4 Matt (Army of Ghosts)
3 Rose Tyler
2 Adam (The Long Game)
2 Sarah Jane Smith
1 Abzorbaloff
1 Bev (Bridesmaid, Father's Day)
1 Captain Reynolds
1 Harriet Jones
1 K9 Mark IV
1 Mickey Smith
1 The Abzorbaloff
1 The Emperor Dalek

Dickens proved to be a popular answer here, maybe because seeing the
TARDIS disappear is a profound moment for him. As usual, The Doctor and
Rose feature strongly with several people commenting that no-one else
will want to be this obvious. This strategy tends not to work. Of
course, now I've said that it may... One entrant submitted "The
Ninth Doctor", but since I have previously ruled that a person who
regenerates is still the same person, this is not a more specific
variant here.

Matt is the chap in Army of Ghosts who sees the TARDIS on his monitor
and it may be this "one-remove" plus his recent appearance which
accounts for his strong showing.

The Emperor Dalek and K9 both just about scrape in as "someone"s
and the other answers were uncontroversial. Other right answers not
given include Jackie Tyler, Sycorax Leader, Alex (The Christmas
Invasion) and various people in the church in Father's Day.

1. Name an actor who has appeared in both the new series of Doctor Who
and in any episode or episodes of "The Bill"

3 Elisabeth Sladen
2 David Tennant
2 Dona Croll
2 Freema Agyeman
2 Judy Holt
2 Marc Warren
2 Noel Clarke
2 Rupert Vansittart
2 Simon Greenall
1 Annette Badland
1 Danny Webb
1 Ellen Thomas
1 Jo Stone-Fewings
1 John Leeson
1 Lucy Robinson
1 Rochelle Gadd
1 Silas Carson
1 Simon Day
1 Tim Faraday
Wrong
1 No answer given

Plenty to choose from here, with familiar faces like Elisabeth Sladen,
Noel Clarke, Marc Warren and Freema Agyman (who inspired the question)
tending to do better than the more obscure actors. I was surprised
David Tennant didn't get more votes.

Judy Holt was Adam's mum in The Long Game and had a recurring role in
The Bill in 2002. Dona Kroll was a Cat-Nun and appeared in two roles in
The Bill, seven years apart. I suspect their score of 2 among the more
well-known faces (in quite a flat distribution) is just coincidence.

2. Name something there were exactly three of in the new series.

4 Episodes with five word titles
2 Big Brother housemates
1 Announced Torchwood regular cast members
1 Appearances of The Face of Boe
1 Cars (not vans) Mickey Smith drives
1 Ds in 'Blaidd Drwg Project'
1 Episodes containing Daleks broadcast in 2005
1 Episodes featuring Penelope Wilton
1 Episodes featuring the Slitheen
1 Episodes set before 20th century
1 Episodes with 'The' as the first and fourth words
1 Forest of Cheem
1 Ghost-hunting pods
1 Male companions
1 Metal objects TARDIS crashed into
1 People in Rose's family
1 Reality shows on Satellite 5
1 Robot TV Presenters
1 Stories featuring Pete Tyler
1 Transmission blocks
1 Versions of end title music
1 Ways to enter Battersea Power Station
1 Writers whose first name starts with M
Wrong
1 Adherents of the Repeated Meme (five)
1 People possessed by Cassandra (four)
1 Things picked up by ninth Doctor in Rose's flat (four)

A "use your imagination" rather than a "do your research"
question which makes the collision on "five word titles" even more
bizarre. You also have to be able to count - there were more than
three Adherents of the Repeated Meme, and Cassandra possessed a patient
as well as The Doctor, Chip and Rose.

The three Torchwood cast members are John Barrowman (Captain Jack), Eve
Myles (Gwyneth in The Unquiet Dead) and Naoko Mori (Doctor Sato in
Aliens of London).

After some thought, I accepted the answer "Ds in 'Blaidd Drwg
Project'". This looks more like an answer to "What are there
three of in 'Blaidd Drwg Project'?". I think if I give you a
constraint, you can't add further constraints to make a wrong answer
right - and there was no shortage of right answers here. Even the
entrant commented that this was not a good answer. However, rejecting
this would probably also have meant rejecting "Dalek episodes in
2005" and "Cars Mickey Smith drives (not vans)" and I couldn't
see a clear place to draw the line.

"Things picked up by the Ninth Doctor in Rose's flat in Rose"
falls into the same category, but thankfully this was an incorrect
answer in any case: even if one discounts the Auton hand, the entrant
forgot the letter addressed to Rose, citing only cards, book and
magazine.

The three versions of the end title music are Murray Gold's original,
the National Orchestra of Wales version and the combination of both
heard when the "Next Episode" preview is delayed.

3. Name someone who received a credit on at least one episode of the
new series, but who did not in fact work on that episode.

8 Gerry Davis
6 Ron Grainer
5 Robert Holmes
4 Terry Nation
2 Kit Pedler
1 Dave Martin
1 Fintan Coyle
1 Marc Platt
Wrong
1 Jo Joyner
1 No answer given

Generally this means people whose prior work was re-used, or to whom
thanks are due. Ron Grainer was a popular answer - not surprising as
I think he must be the most-credited person on Doctor Who, appearing in
the credits of every episode bar one, I believe (ob-puzzle: name the
one). See question 9 for more on him.

I believe only two right answers were overlooked here. Dave Martin got
a mention, but nobody picked fellow K9 creator Bob Baker. Similarly
Fintan Coyle was submitted once, but fellow Weakest Link creator Cathy
Dunning was never named. The entrant who submitted "Jo Joyner"
seemed to think that she would be credited for her appearance in a
flashback. This was not the case.

4. Name a piece of Time Lord technology we have seen in the new series.

12 TARDIS
>>> 2 TARDIS power cell
>>> 1 TARDIS console
>>> 1 TARDIS oxygen masks
4 Genesis Ark
2 Anti-plastic
2 Binoculars (The Empty Child)
2 K9 Mark IV
2 Sonic Screwdriver
1 Dimensional Transcendentalism
1 Ghost hunting kit
1 Psychic Paper
1 SIM card (The End of the World)
1 TARDIS key
1 Voidstuff detectors (3d glasses)

A slight goof on my part. This question should have been better phrased
so as not to imply that only the TARDIS and The Genesis Ark were
correct answers. But even without assuming that gadgets in The
Doctor's possession are "Time Lord technology" (on the basis that
The Doctor is a Time Lord), some entrants managed to ferret out a few
other right answers. TARDIS was overwhelmingly the most popular choice,
however, hurt further by the presence of a number of more specific
variants (it was the worst correct answer in the quiz, and the worst
since DWRE1).

Dimensional Transcendentalism is not a more specific variant of TARDIS
due to its also being present in the Genesis Ark, nor is the TARDIS key
a part of the TARDIS the way the console is.

5. Name something which exists in the world today, which also features
in the fictional world of the new series stories, and which did not
exist in 1989.

5 London Eye
3 BBC News 24
3 Rose's mobile phone
>>> 1 Nokia 3200
>>> 1 Samsung D500
2 Toxic by Britney Spears
1 Big Brother
1 Bluetooth headsets
1 Millennium Centre
1 Most Haunted
1 National Lottery
1 Picture messaging by mobile phone
1 Punkyfish clothing
1 Roald Dahl Plass
1 The Gherkin (The Swiss Re Tower)
1 The Weakest Link
1 The music of The Streets
1 The word 'chav'
1 Trisha
1 Video news clips on mobile phones
1 Weblogs
Wrong
2 Mobile phones (invented 1947, in existence since 1950s, in regular
use by 1987)

The two "trap" answers here were mobile phones (in common use by
1987) and the Internet (which reached Britain in 1982 - although
"World Wide Web" would have been a correct answer). Sadly for me,
the Internet snared no-one and mobile phones only two - although more
specific answers such as "Bluetooth headset" or "Nokia 3200"
were obviously correct. Instead, to my surprise, The London Eye was the
runaway top answer, along with a number of other modern landmarks. 21st
century television programmes also featured very strongly.

The music of "The Streets" is heard diagetically (no, you look it
up!) in Father's Day and I believe Rose was seen in Punkyfish
clothing in The Parting of the Ways.

The Roald Dahl Plass is the area of Cardiff Bay which also contains the
Millennium Centre.

"The Weakest Link" caused me to pause for a moment, since "our"
Weakest Link has not been seen on Doctor Who, only the Anne-Droid
version. I eventually decided the question didn't require the
fictional and real versions to be absolutely identical in every
respect, and further that I think the implication is that The Weakest
Link has been continually broadcast since the 21st century - or at
least wasn't first invented on Satellite Five.

6. Name somewhere the TARDIS has landed.

8 London
>>> 3 Albion Hospital
>>> 1 Jackie Tyler's flat
>>> 1 Rear of Tizana's pizza restaurant
>>> 1 The Powell Estate
>>> 1 Between two crates, Dame Kelly Holmes Close
3 Cardiff
>>> 2 In front of Millennium Centre
3 Dalek Command Ship
3 New Earth
>>> 2 New New York
2 Bottom of the Satan Pit
2 Raxacoricofallapatorius
2 Woman wept
1 Captain Jack's ship
1 Florizel Street
1 Parallel London
1 Platform 1
1 SS Madame du Pompadour
1 Sycorax ship
1 Utah

This was designed to give the "more specific variant" scoring a
workout, penalising those who cited a planet or a city ("London"
was the worst answer despite only being given by one entrant!). No
extra points for adding the year though.

I guess there is an argument to be made for "parallel London" being
a more specific variant of London, but none of the other places cited
refer to places where the TARDIS has landed on parallel Earth, so it
didn't seem right.

Two entrants pointed out the TARDIS may not have materialised at the
bottom of the Satan Pit but it certainly "landed" there. Good point
and a correct answer. This question also should have read "somewhere
we have seen the TARDIS land". This would have ruled out journeys we
only heard about, two of which, Raxacoricofallapatorius and Woman Wept
(mentioned in Boom Town), turned out to be a bit of a trap - so no
harm done!!

"In front of Millennium Centre" and "Roald Dahl Plass" were
treated as equivalent (since they both describe the same landing, with
about the same accuracy).

No wrong answers here, and the rest of the correct answers seem
uncontroversial.

7. Name an alien race which we have seen at least two members of, and
heard at least one speak.

6 Forest of Cheem
6 Ood
5 Sycorax
3 Gelth
3 Krillitanes
3 Raxacoricofallapatorians
2 Daleks
>>> 1 Daleks made from human tissue
2 Sisters of Plenitude

As far as I can tell, all possible right answers were given, with a
pretty flat distribution and no wrong answers either. Sorry for setting
such a boring question!!

Most ingenious answer (and also best-scoring) was Daleks made from
human tissue, successfully differentiating the Daleks made from humans
harvested on Satellite Five from those we saw in Doomsday.

With so few correct answers available, I didn't worry about such
things as the species name of the Sisters of Plenitude, or the spelling
of Raxacoricofallapatorians.

8. Some people who have contributed to Doctor Who episodes have written
other things. Name one such thing first made available to the public
after at least one of that person's Doctor Who episodes was
transmitted.

3 Kidulthood (Noel Clarke)
3 Odd (Robert Shearman)
2 DWM articles (Russell T Davies)
>>> 1 DWM Production Notes, July (Russell T Davies)
2 The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse (Mark Gatiss et al)
2 Weblog (Paul Cornell)
1 Alien Autopsy (music by Murray Gold)
1 Cake (Helen Raynor)
1 Cyberman audios (Nicholas Briggs)
1 DWM diary (James Strong)
1 Free Jimmy (Simon Pegg)
1 Jump Mr Malinoff, Jump! (Toby Whithouse)
1 Orson Welles: Hello Americans (Simon Callow)
1 Series One Pitch (Russell T Davies)
1 Teacher's Pet (Robert Shearman)
1 The Cruel Sea (Robert Shearman)
Wrong
2 No answer given
1 Casanova (RTD, transmitted March 2005)
1 Jekyll (Steven Moffatt, not yet released)
1 Mark Gatiss (person given, work asked for)
1 Robin Hood (Paul Cornell, not yet transmitted)
1 The Opposite (Tom MacRae, published April 2006)
1 The Vesuvius Club (Mark Gatiss, published November 2004)

Probably the trickiest question in the contest (if not all the contests
to date). You couldn't rely on a quick IMDB search here, you had to
notice just how broad the scope and also how narrow the possible range
of dates was. The person concerned didn't need to have written for
Doctor Who, and they could have written anything that was "made
available to the public" - it just had to made available after
their first Doctor Who episode went out, and before today.

One entrant told me that none of the Doctor Who writers met my
criteria. Not only do Robert Shearman and Mark Gatiss obviously and
uncontroversially fit my criteria (for the radio plays "Odd" and
"Teacher's Pet" and the film "The League of Gentlemen's
Apocalypse" respectively) but the question didn't limit you to
writers! One of the answers I had in mind was Maureen Lipman's
Guardian columns (not given). Another was "Kidulthood", by Noel
Clarke which turned out to be one of the top answers.

Any work not yet made available to the public is ruled out (since the
question requires it to have been "made available" - past tense)
but other than that I cut entrants a bit of slack here, treating "DWM
articles" and "Cyberman audios" as a "thing" (not my problem
if someone else submits a more specific variant!) and being fairly easy
on people who submitted answers like "Noel Gardner wrote a film
called Kidulthood". The "Mark Gatiss" answer marked wrong cited
"The Vesuvius Club" which is wrong anyway (see below).

My favourite answer was Russell T Davies' Series One Pitch. Obviously
written before any of the New Series began transmitting, but not
"made available to the public" until it was published in DWM! In
factr, DWM was a rich source of answers, with several DWM articles and
one comic strip (Rob Shearman's "The Cruel Sea") making an
appearance.

Since I didn't specify that scripts or words had to be written,
Murray Gold's music for "Alien Autopsy" is certainly a correct
answer. Other non-scriptwriters included Simon Callow whose Orson
Welles biography (part 2) was published after The Unquiet Dead and
Simon Pegg who wrote the screenplay for something called "Free
Jimmy" (IMDB has the details).

Finally, people don't write hardback or paperback editions. They
write books which may be published in different forms, but the same
piece of writing is being "made available" each time. Hence you
cannot turn The Vesuvius Club (first published 2004) into a right
answer by citing the paperback edition, which was published later. I
probably would have accepted the graphic novel version (published 7
November 2005) since presumably Gatiss, as the only credited author,
adapted his own novel - but nobody tried this. On this basis, I
accepted Toby Whithouse's radio play (first broadcast 8 July 2006)
which he adapted from his own stage play (first performed 2000).

Paul Cornell's blog is at http://paulcornell.blogspot.com/.

9. Name someone who has been credited on every single episode of the
new series.

7 Ron Grainer (theme)
3 Phil Collinson (producer)
3 Richard Pugsley (Finance Manager)
2 Andy Pryor (casting)
2 Dave Houghton (Visual FX supervisor)
2 Murray Gold (Music)
1 Billie Piper
1 Edward Thomas (production designer)
1 Endaf Emyr Williams (Production Accountant)
1 Julie Gardner (producer)
1 Kath Blackman (Prod Accountant)
1 Peter Chester (best boy)
1 Rusell T Davies (Executive Producer)
Wrong
1 Chris Petts (not credited on Boom Town)
1 David Tennant
1 Helen Raynor (not credited on e.g. Rose)
1 Tracie Simpson (not credited on e.g. Tooth and Claw)

An easier one to finish on - just a matter of careful checking. Only
one entrant went for Russell T Davies on this one, so maybe my comments
on question 0 were wrong after all. I can only assume that the entrant
who submitted David Tennant assumed that the phrase "new series"
meant the 2006 series, despite the presence of this sentence in bold
type at the top: "Note that this time round, all questions apply only

to the new series which debuted in 2005."

Ron Grainer was the only person who would have been a right answer to
this and question 3 (someone who was credited but did not contribute)
however answering Ron Grainer twice did you no favours as this was the
worst answer on both questions.

DWRE5 will have the more usual all-encompassing scope and will no doubt
follow early next week, once all the wailing and gnashing of teeth has
subsided. Whether there will be more after that depends on take-up.

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

Michael Kilpatrick

Jul 21, 2006, 11:54:38 AM7/21/06
If I were Wilf I would feel pretty miffed at not being declared outright
winner, because you classed "K9 Mark IV" as a piece of Time Lord
technology, question 4. K9 was invented by someone definitely not a Time
Lord. That the Dr rebuilt K9 several times and no doubt added
enhancements along the way hardly, in my view, makes this a valid answer
to question 4.

Michael

Bazza

Jul 21, 2006, 12:11:56 PM7/21/06

"Michael Kilpatrick" <mic...@mtkilpatrick.SPAMfsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

In a similar vein I don't agree that K9 should be classed as a "someone" or
a "somebody". It's a machine. You could argue that it's sentient (I think
therefore I am) but it's still a machine. The definition is below :

person: a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

However...at the end of the day Tom is the quizmaster and he has the
difficult task of adjudicating the entries and assigning the overall scores.
That can't be an easy task so he must hold some artistic licence to say "The
Judges Decision is Final"

Bazza

WILL GILLIES

Jul 21, 2006, 12:58:40 PM7/21/06

Bazza

On an unrelated note, was it you who posted this?

I heard there have been cases of fake postings, i just wanted you to
confirm this...

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.arts.drwho/msg/d8cf9a9316466c2d?dmode=source

WG

Bazza

Jul 21, 2006, 3:30:57 PM7/21/06

"WILL GILLIES" <WILLG...@YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote in message

Yes Will don't worry that was me. It is me you have been having offline
conversations with also. Only worry if the poster uses a source that doesn't
identify his IP address. Me - I have nothing to hide and even use my real
e-mail address these days. My days of antagonistic posts are gone...I'm too
old for all that shit. I will try and call you later...I'm on the late shift
tonight on the help desk.

Baz

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 21, 2006, 5:13:33 PM7/21/06
Defining any technology which originates with The Doctor as "Time Lord
technology" (which I am) means that there's certainly a lot of "Time
Lord Technology" in K9.

Also, don't forget that K9 Mark IV is a rebuild of K9 Mark III. And the
evidence suggests that K9 Mark III was built from scratch, after K9
Mark II was left behind in E-Space.

So, I'm satisfied with my ruling.

And he is certainly a person!

Cheers

Tom

The Doctor

Jul 21, 2006, 5:38:12 PM7/21/06
In article <CK6dnRzzks5...@pipex.net>,

You are thinking Professor Marius.

The Doctor

Jul 21, 2006, 5:39:19 PM7/21/06
In article <DuKdndMifZhQYV3Z...@bt.com>,

But protests have to be noted.

Sean

Jul 21, 2006, 6:56:35 PM7/21/06

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

> In article <CK6dnRzzks5...@pipex.net>,
> Michael Kilpatrick <mic...@mtkilpatrick.SPAMfsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>If I were Wilf I would feel pretty miffed at not being declared outright
>>winner, because you classed "K9 Mark IV" as a piece of Time Lord
>>technology, question 4. K9 was invented by someone definitely not a Time
>>Lord. That the Dr rebuilt K9 several times and no doubt added
>>enhancements along the way hardly, in my view, makes this a valid answer
>>to question 4.
>>
>>Michael

It's a bit of fun Michael, that those who enter enjoy and don't really care
where we finish. Tom runs this fairly and correctly. As far as I can tell he
judges openly and posts his decisions and explanations openly for all to
read.

Well played Tom another good quiz. I for one thank you.

Sean

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 21, 2006, 7:12:08 PM7/21/06
Thanks for the support, Sean, but carps and quibbles such as those from
Michael are all part of the game.

Cheers

Tom

The Doctor

Jul 21, 2006, 8:30:46 PM7/21/06
In article <44c15ba0$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,

And how is the overall QM?

Major ChrisB

Jul 22, 2006, 12:07:50 AM7/22/06

"Sean" <seann...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <CK6dnRzzks5...@pipex.net>,
>> Michael Kilpatrick <mic...@mtkilpatrick.SPAMfsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>>If I were Wilf I would feel pretty miffed at not being declared outright
>>>winner, because you classed "K9 Mark IV" as a piece of Time Lord
>>>technology, question 4. K9 was invented by someone definitely not a Time
>>>Lord. That the Dr rebuilt K9 several times and no doubt added
>>>enhancements along the way hardly, in my view, makes this a valid answer
>>>to question 4.
>>>
>>>Michael
>
> It's a bit of fun Michael, that those who enter enjoy and don't really
> care where we finish.

I DO!!! I thought I did really well with weird and unique answers and i came
bloody 27th!!! god damnit!

The Doctor

Jul 22, 2006, 8:28:57 AM7/22/06
In article <swhwg.19331$Lf.1...@fe29.usenetserver.com>,

I should check to feed for accuracy myself. I never saw this.

Michael Kilpatrick

Jul 22, 2006, 9:16:49 AM7/22/06
Sean wrote:
> "The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>
>>In article <CK6dnRzzks5...@pipex.net>,
>>Michael Kilpatrick <mic...@mtkilpatrick.SPAMfsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>If I were Wilf I would feel pretty miffed at not being declared outright
>>>winner, because you classed "K9 Mark IV" as a piece of Time Lord
>>>technology, question 4. K9 was invented by someone definitely not a Time
>>>Lord. That the Dr rebuilt K9 several times and no doubt added
>>>enhancements along the way hardly, in my view, makes this a valid answer
>>>to question 4.
>>>
>>>Michael
>

> It's a bit of fun Michael...

Of course it is. One has to be careful with questions that have obvious
ambiguities, and it must be a nightmare trying to avoid such problems
when setting a quiz!

Here, if I built an identical replica of George Stevenson's "Rocket"
steam locomotive, the "technology of the new Rocket" would still be
Stevenson's not mine, regardless of whatever modern tools I used to
produce the components. If I made the boiler 10% bigger, it would still
be Victorian technology, not 21st Century, providing I didn't use
titanium to make the boiler! Whilst it is true that K9 Mark IV
"originated" from the Dr, in that he constructed it, it still is an
object of "Prof Marius technology". I think this has to be an immutable
definition of the term "technology".

As for the "someone" argument: well, perhaps we need a new word in the
English language that denotes something that is either intelligent or
artificially intelligent whether alive or mechanical! Answers on the
back of a postcard, maximum ten words....

Michael

The Doctor

Jul 22, 2006, 4:33:00 PM7/22/06
In article <QYGdnVOc28v...@pipex.net>,

Careful not to get mocked.

Michael Kilpatrick

Jul 22, 2006, 5:08:57 PM7/22/06
The Doctor wrote:

> In article <QYGdnVOc28v...@pipex.net>,
> Michael Kilpatrick <mic...@mtkilpatrick.SPAMfsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>>As for the "someone" argument: well, perhaps we need a new word in the
>>English language that denotes something that is either intelligent or
>>artificially intelligent whether alive or mechanical! Answers on the
>>back of a postcard, maximum ten words....
>>

> Careful not to get mocked.

Why?

I don't have a problem with being mocked if it makes someone else feel
good. Be my guest.

Michael

The Doctor

Jul 22, 2006, 8:01:56 PM7/22/06
In article <BoudnZyoeph...@pipex.net>,

Too much fuel for trolls.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 24, 2006, 7:47:37 PM7/24/06
Maybe it still looks like K9 but inside it has whizzy Time Lord
technology Marius could never have dreamed of!

It's still an irrelevant point, since I made it clear how I was
interpreting the phrase "Time Lord technology". You don't have to agree
with that interpretation (and I make no particular claims about its
truthfulness or usefulness outside of this contest) but once you know
it, you have a fair shot at playing.

Plus Wilf has won once already.

Cheers

Tom

The Doctor

Jul 24, 2006, 10:36:25 PM7/24/06
In article <1153784857....@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

Still Marius created K-9. I still love the TARDIS trained line.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 25, 2006, 6:35:12 AM7/25/06
Professor Marius only built K9 Mark I. K9s marks II, III and IV were
all built or rebuilt by The Doctor. K9 Mark I stayed on Gallifrey with
Leela, Mark II in E-Space with Romana, Mark III was sent to Sarah Jane
Smith was destroyed/damaged at Deffry Vale School and Mark IV was left
behind for Sarah by the Tenth Doctor.

Cheers

Tom

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 25, 2006, 8:28:30 AM7/25/06
Here are my rulings, based on feedback both here and on OG.

Errors: The Abzorbaloff was listed twice as two different answers, and
scored like this. This has been corrected. Florizel Street should have
been scored as a More Specific Variant of London, and the Tyler flat as
a More Specific Variant of The Powell Estate.

K9 Mark IV: All evidence suggests that K9 Mark IV was built by The
Doctor. He therefore qualifies as Time Lord technology according to the
interpretation note provided. He also qualifies as a "person" for the
purposes of Question 0.

Psychic Paper: While this is also seen in Captain Jack's possession,
this is not quite enough to render it a wrong answer.

Shows on Satellite 5: The entrant wrote "There were three evil reality
shows in the 2002nd century" and this is a wrong answer. Had they
written "We saw three evil reality shows..." this would have been a
correct answer, provided I accepted The Weakest Link as a "reality"
show.

Housemates: One entrant wrote "There were exactly three people in the
Big Brother House immediately prior to the Doctor leaving." and the
other "Big Brother housemates when the Doctor arrived." These are both
correct answers, and I treated them as equivalent (a little harsh that,
but I'm satisfied with my ruling).

Here is the new table of scores - there are no changes in the top
rankings.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1 16 Wilf 1 2 1 1 1 1 2 2 1 2
= 16 Neil Toynay 4 1 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 1

3 60 DannyBoy 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 5 WR 1

4 96 mw_x 4 2 1 1 1 2 1 6 1 1
5 168 chriskelk 1 2 1 7 1 2 2 3 1 1
6 1,260 Fortmap 6 1 1 7 3 1 1 5 1 2
7 1,680 BeyondtheVoid 2 2 1 5 1 1 2 3 2 7
8 1,920 Christopher Gerardy 4 2 4 5 1 1 2 6 1 1
9 2,880 Yohinchild 4 1 1 2 3 1 2 5 WR 2
10 3,024 JesseS 1 1 4 7 2 1 2 3 3 3
11 3,360 Jonathan Morris 2 2 4 5 2 1 1 3 1 7
12 3,780 BTN 3 1 1 6 2 1 1 5 3 7
13 5,400 Ceadge 1 2 1 5 12 1 1 5 3 3
14 8,820 John Dorney 6 1 1 7 3 1 1 5 1 WR
15 14,112 exterminateallhumans 6 3 1 7 2 2 2 1 1 WR
16 16,800 Andrew Lowrie 1 3 2 4 2 5 7 5 2 1
17 23,328 Affirmation 6 2 1 6 12 1 3 3 3 1
18 28,800 Dave Jones 6 2 WR 5 2 5 2 3 1 1
19 31,104 Biggles 2 2 1 6 12 1 1 6 WR 3
20 31,360 Llama Roddy 1 2 WR 7 2 2 1 5 2 7
21 34,560 Sean 4 2 1 4 12 5 1 3 2 3
22 42,336 cols123 3 1 1 WR 2 1 3 2 WR WR
23 80,640 Peter Scandrett 4 1 WR 6 1 1 2 5 3 WR
24 96,768 Hotmissile 2 2 WR 6 12 1 2 3 1 7
25 311,040 Chris Brannigan 6 1 2 4 12 5 1 6 WR 3
26 518,400 Artyclarty 3 2 WR 6 1 WR 3 5 WR 2
27 1,016,064 kiwikat 1 WR WR WR 2 3 1 6 WR 7
28 2,177,280 Aaon 4 3 4 4 12 5 3 3 3 7
29 5,806,080 Michael S Collins 4 1 WR 7 12 WR 2 6 WR 3

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@google.com

The Doctor

Jul 25, 2006, 8:38:28 AM7/25/06
In article <1153823712.7...@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

How many lives does K-9 have
??

Peter Scandrett

Aug 6, 2006, 10:39:24 AM8/6/06
Hi

tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote on 21/07/2006 14:23:
> 17 15,120 Peter Scandrett 5 1 1 6 1 1 2 6 3 WR

My first entry, and had I not screwed up on the last answer by letting
my attention slip:

> I can only assume that the entrant
> who submitted David Tennant assumed that the phrase "new series"
> meant the 2006 series, despite the presence of this sentence in bold
> type at the top: "Note that this time round, all questions apply only
> to the new series which debuted in 2005."

I might have done better.

Still, it was good fun; thanks Tom for setting it. I'll probably sit
back for the following ones again as I don't know enough about Doctor
Who to be able to enter confidently where other series are included! As
it was I had to guess a few of my DWRE4 answers as I didn't have a
photographic memory of credits etc :-) If I do enter I'll try to give
slightly less bad answers too (the 'three D's answer to Q2 was,
embarrassingly, mine...)

Regards

Peter

<><