Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest - DWRE5

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 26, 2006, 9:59:36 AM7/26/06
This is the fifth Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below. By
popular demand, this contest once again spans 1963-2006.

SHORT RULES

The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
objective is to give an answer that
(1) is correct, and
(2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.

** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

THE QUESTIONS

0. Name two companions who met each other in exactly one story

1. Give a word associated with "Doctor Who" which returns 250,000
or more hits from an uncustomised Google search, according to the
approximate count given at the top of the first results page.

2. Name a three-word story title which amounts to a concrete
noun-phrase describing a person or thing seen in the story.
(Definitions: a noun-phrase is one or more words which together
function as a noun, such as "long scarf". A concrete noun is one
referring to a physical object, such as a scarf, rather than something
intangible like an idea.)

3. Give a nickname that one Doctor Who character has used for another.

4. Name an alien race played (at least at times) by performers in
costumes where those costumes have always been designed to completely
conceal the performer within.

5. Name an actor who has appeared in speaking, credited roles (and not
just as a voice) in four or more separate stories and who has played
two or more different characters.

6. Name a character who appeared in exactly one episode of a
multi-episode Doctor Who story, and who did not die in that episode.

7. Name anything belonging to or associated with the Time Lords whose
name follows the pattern "The [BLANK] of [BLANK]".

8. Name a woman who has written or directed an episode of "Doctor
Who"

9. Name a story which featured the return appearance of a character not
seen during the present or previous season.

---

In order to participate in the contest, send your answers to me by
email (tomsa...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 4 August 2006.
It is of course essential that nobody sees the answers given by other
entrants before the deadline, so please do NOT post your answers here!

If there are fewer than 10 entrants, I may not bother working out who's
won, so if this sounds like fun, do encourage others to play.

Make sure you have read the rules before submitting your answers.

YOUR ATTENTION IS SPECIFICALLY DRAWN TO RULE 3. Please supply the
information asked for and only the information asked for. If you supply
two answers, I will take the first one. By way of example, in DWRE2 one
question read: "Some regular or recurring characters have met their
identical doubles. Name one of these doubles". Those who submitted
"Romana / Princess Strella" were deemed to have answered
"Romana" (the first of two answers given) and this was marked
wrong, since I asked for the name of the double, not the name of the
regular character. You have been warned.

1. Answers
For each of the questions above, your objective is to give an answer
that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people
as possible. Feel free to use any reference material you like to
RESEARCH your answers; but when you have found enough possible answers
for your liking, you are expected to choose on your own which one to
submit, WITHOUT mechanical or computer assistance: this is meant to be
a game of wits.

2. Scoring
The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

2.1 More Specific Variants
On some questions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer
that is a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else. In
that case the more specific variant will usually be scored as if the
two answers are different, but the other, less specific variant will be
scored as if they are the same.

2.2 Scoring Example
Say I ask for someone the Doctor has kissed. There are 27 entrants: 19
say "Rose" or "Rose Tyler", 2 say "Cassandra in the body of Rose
Tyler", 4 say "Captain Jack", 1 says "Daphne Ashbrook" and 1 says
"Lynda Moss". The 4 people who answered "Captain Jack" get 4 points
each. Since "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" is a more specific
variant of "Rose Tyler", those who said "Rose Tyler" get 21 points
each, and those who said "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" get 2
points each. The Doctor never kissed actress Daphne Ashbrook (although
he may have kissed Grace Holloway) nor Lynda Moss, so those answers are
both wrong. The persons who gave them both get the penalty score, which
is the median of:
- number of entrants = 27:
- sqrt(27) = 5.196+, rounded up = 6:
- double the most popular answer's count = 21 x 2 = 42:
or in this case, 27.

3. Entries
Entries must be emailed to me personally by email:
tomsa...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the the forum!
In general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization,
English usage, or other such matters of form. Sometimes a specific
question may imply stricter rules, though. And if you give an answer
that properly refers to a different thing related to the one you
intended, I will normally take it as written. Once you intentionally
submit an answer, no changes will be allowed, unless I decide there was
a problem with the question. Similarly, alternate answers within an
entry will not be accepted. Only the first answer that you
intentionally submit counts. You can expect an acknowledgement when I
read your entry. If this bounces, it won't be sent again.

3.1 Clarifications
Questions are not intended to be hard to understand, but I may fail in
this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity could only be
provided by an example which would suggest one or another specific
answer, and I mustn't do that.) In order to be fair to all entrants, I
must insist that requests for clarification must be emailed to me, NOT
POSTED in any mailing list. But if you do ask for clarification, I'll
probably say that the question is clear enough as posted. If I do
decide to clarify or change a question, all entrants will be informed.

3.2 Supporting Information
It is your option whether or not to provide supporting information to
justify your answers. If you don't, I'll email you to ask for it if I
need to. If you provide any explanatory remarks along with your
answers, you are responsible for making it sufficiently clear that they
are not part of the answers. The particular format doesn't matter as
long as you're clear.

4. Scope
Unless a question indicates otherwise, all questions refer to the
transmitted episodes of the BBC television series "Doctor Who" in its
original run from 1963 to 1989, the TV Movie of 1996 and the current
series which began in 2005. Only episodes transmitted at the time of
posting (in this case 26 July 2006) are included, and all other Doctor
Who related works are excluded. This excludes audio plays, comic
strips, spin-offs, TARDISodes, novelisations and probably more.

4.1 "Story" refers to one or more episodes, generally with the same
production code, writer and director, which tell a complete tale. For
the avoidance of doubt, the list of stories with their correct names is
taken to be the list presented on the Outpost Gallifrey Episode Guide
(http://www.gallifreyone.com/epguide.php), with the exceptions that
"Children in Need Special" and any stories listed under "Other
Stories" are excluded. "The Trial of a Time Lord" is considered
to be an honorary story title, as are the individual episode titles for
modern two-parters (which are generally referred to by both episode
titles, thus: "The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances").

Anything which is seen only in the "Previously on..." or "Next
week on..." segments of the 2005- series is not deemed to be part of
that episode. Any other flashbacks, recaps or the like are deemed to be
part of that episode.

4.2 "Companion" refers to anyone who travelled with the Doctor for two
or more consecutive stories. For the avoidance of doubt, the following
all have companion status: Katarina, Sara Kingdom, Brigadier
Lethbridge-Stewart, Adam, Captain Jack, Mickey. No other UNIT soldiers
have companion status (Harry Sullivan, Liz Shaw and Jo Grant obviously
are companions).

4.3 "Appears" or "Seen" mean seen on-screen, as opposed to merely
referred to in dialogue or implied. If a character is clearly heard to
speak, then they, and the actor who played them, are deemed to have
"appeared" regardless of whether we see them or not.

RULE CHANGE 4.4 "Alien" means not originating from the planet Earth. In
the absence of other clear evidence, a character is considered a member
of an alien race if they do not look entirely human, or if despite
looking human, their planet of birth is not Earth and they are not
referred to as human (or it can be shown that they are not accurately
referred to as human).

4.5 "Actor" includes both male and female performers, but excludes
stunt-people, stand-ins doubling for a credited actor etc. unless the
question indicates otherwise. Generally a performer who does not
receive a credit is not regarded as an actor.

RULE CHANGE 4.6 Unless otherwise specified, different incarnations of
the same character are the same character and will be treated as
equivalent answers, and equivalent to specifying that character without
reference to incarnation. In other words, "Romana", "Romana I"
and "Romana II" are all the same answer.

5. Judging
As moderator, I will be the sole judge of what answers are correct, and
whether two answers with similar meaning are considered the same,
different, or more/less specific variants. I will do my best to be fair
on all such issues, but sometimes it is necessary to be arbitrary. I
may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a serious error and it
affects the high finishers.

6. Results
Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
reasons.

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 26, 2006, 1:37:39 PM7/26/06
Question change.

It has been brought to my attention that the wording of question 9 is
ambiguous. Question 9 is now being changed to read:

9. Name a story which featured the return appearance of a character not

otherwise seen during that story's season, or the previous season.

Those who interpreted question 9 as referring to the 2005 and 2006
seasons have been given the opportunity to submit alternative answers.

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

Michael Kilpatrick

Jul 27, 2006, 7:16:52 AM7/27/06
tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:

> 4. Name an alien race played (at least at times) by performers in
> costumes where those costumes have always been designed to completely
> conceal the performer within.

I'm wondering if you could clarify this just to avoid any confusion:
does a costume which completely covers the performer yet which allows
the viewer to see the performer's eyes, and only the eyes, count?

Michael

VAMBO

Jul 27, 2006, 8:40:50 AM7/27/06

"Michael Kilpatrick" <mic...@mtkilpatrick.SPAMfsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

I have a similar question....what if the eyes are also covered but you can
see the actors cock sticking out?

VAMBO

The Doctor

Jul 27, 2006, 10:22:40 AM7/27/06
In article <uqOdnTwUu6s1PVXZ...@pipex.net>,

Are you saying this quizmaster is vague?
--
Member - Liberal International
This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca

Hazel

Jul 27, 2006, 4:18:14 PM7/27/06
Vambo,
If you aren't going to have fun THEN DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME
REPLYING!!!!! It ruins it for everyone else when a small-minded, petty
little man like yourself make comments like that.

Just a thought

The Face of Po

Jul 27, 2006, 5:03:19 PM7/27/06
I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
Hazel got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:

Yeah, now that he's said that, nobody can safely suggest the Groiniads
from "Doctor Who and the Invisible Codpieces".

--
Remove caps to communicate more easily.

"twat ... bogey nosed newbie" - Steve F
"a prize prick ... lol" - FairPlay
"another person for the killfile" - DBurns
"Another case of evidence I wish to ignore" - The Doctor

The Doctor

Jul 27, 2006, 6:02:24 PM7/27/06
In article <115403419...@iris.uk.clara.net>,

The Face of Po <gkenn...@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> wrote:
>I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
>Hazel got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
>> VAMBO wrote:
>> > "Michael Kilpatrick" <mic...@mtkilpatrick.SPAMfsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

>> > I have a similar question....what if the eyes are also covered but you can
>> > see the actors cock sticking out?
>> >
>> > VAMBO
>> >

>> Vambo,
>> If you aren't going to have fun THEN DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME
>> REPLYING!!!!! It ruins it for everyone else when a small-minded, petty
>> little man like yourself make comments like that.
>
>Yeah, now that he's said that, nobody can safely suggest the Groiniads
>from "Doctor Who and the Invisible Codpieces".

Po! Ho! ho!

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jul 28, 2006, 4:34:34 PM7/28/06

Hi Michael

In accordance with the rules, I would prefer it if you would email
requests for clarification and not post them here.

In this case, I am satisfied that the question is clear enough as it
stands.

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

Major ChrisB

Jul 30, 2006, 12:14:14 PM7/30/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> This is the fifth Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
> rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below. By
> popular demand, this contest once again spans 1963-2006.
>
> SHORT RULES
>
> The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
> objective is to give an answer that
> (1) is correct, and
> (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.

done! hopefully better than my 27th place last time!

The Doctor

Jul 30, 2006, 4:28:27 PM7/30/06
In article <sV4zg.31632$my2....@fe48.usenetserver.com>,

As soon as I have time, I my try for better.

Major ChrisB

Jul 30, 2006, 8:35:59 PM7/30/06

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

> In article <sV4zg.31632$my2....@fe48.usenetserver.com>,
> Major ChrisB <cgbrannig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>><tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>>> This is the fifth Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
>>> rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below. By
>>> popular demand, this contest once again spans 1963-2006.
>>>
>>> SHORT RULES
>>>
>>> The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
>>> objective is to give an answer that
>>> (1) is correct, and
>>> (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.
>>
>>done! hopefully better than my 27th place last time!
>>

> As soon as I have time, I my try for better.

beware however, apprently the six doctor refering to Peri as Tits McGhee is
not an acceptable answer for number 3

The Doctor

Jul 30, 2006, 8:41:44 PM7/30/06
In article <Sfczg.22519$T01....@fe82.usenetserver.com>,

Major ChrisB <cgbrannig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <sV4zg.31632$my2....@fe48.usenetserver.com>,
>> Major ChrisB <cgbrannig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>><tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

>>>done! hopefully better than my 27th place last time!
>>>

>> As soon as I have time, I my try for better.
>
>beware however, apprently the six doctor refering to Peri as Tits McGhee is
>not an acceptable answer for number 3

Be aware that you may be breaking the rules.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 1, 2006, 12:48:26 PM8/1/06

SHORT RULES

THE QUESTIONS

otherwise seen during that story's season or the previous season.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 4, 2006, 8:06:16 AM8/4/06
38 entrants battled it out this time, with Andrew Hodson achieving a
first place score of 400, just pipping John Dorney and Wilf who were
joint second with 480.

Here are the top answer slates (slightly abbreviated). Use a monospaced
font for proper alignment.

ANDREW HODSON JOHN DORNEY WILF

0 Steven/Sarah Captain Jack/Mickey Tegan/Kamelion
1 Ood Auton Eccleston
2 The Space Museum The Leisure Hive An Unearthly Child
3 Doughnut Chunky My Little Father
4 Plasmatons Arcturans Gastropods
5 Lalla Ward Roy Skelton William Hartnell
6 Empress Griffin Roald
7 The Rod of Rassilon The Game of Rassilon The Const. of Kast.
8 Jane Baker Paddy Russell Mary Ridge
9 Time and the Rani Survival Monster of Peladon

To review the scoring:

The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

Here is the complete table of scores.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1 400 Andrew Hodson 1 1 5 2 1 1 1 4 2 5
2 480 John Dorney 3 1 2 1 1 1 1 4 4 5
= 480 Wilf 2 1 2 1 1 2 1 2 5 6
4 648 James Christie 2 2 1 1 3 3 3 2 3 1
5 720 Daniel Blythe 3 1 2 2 1 3 1 1 5 4
6 960 Jonathan Morris 3 1 5 1 1 1 2 4 2 4
7 1,152 bazza 1 2 1 6 2 2 1 1 2 WR
8 2,592 Tim Barnett 3 2 3 1 3 3 1 1 4 4
9 3,150 Jmol 3 1 5 1 1 3 2 1 7 5
10 5,184 Guy Leopold 3 1 2 6 1 1 3 4 4 3
11 5,760 Dave Jones 4 1 1 1 WR 6 2 3 1 5
12 5,880 genesisrockz 1 WR 1 2 1 6 1 7 2 5
13 6,480 sontaran@tiscali 1 1 3 6 2 3 1 3 5 4
14 7,200 Chriskelk 3 1 WR 2 4 2 1 1 5 3
15 19,200 Llama Roddy 3 2 WR 1 WR 2 1 4 5 1
16 21,000 Solar Penguin 3 WR 5 1 4 1 1 2 5 5
17 23,040 Peter Gemmell 2 1 1 6 4 6 1 4 4 5
18 23,520 JesseS 1 1 WR 1 1 2 WR 4 7 6
19 25,920 Andrew Lowrie 4 2 WR 6 1 3 1 1 3 6
20 45,360 Yohinnchild 3 2 1 6 3 3 1 7 5 4
21 51,840 btn 3 1 WR 6 4 2 2 3 3 2
22 61,440 Luke Curtis 4 1 2 6 WR 1 2 4 5 4
23 70,560 snacky1972 3 1 WR 1 1 6 WR WR 4 1
24 76,800 fortmap 2 2 WR 6 2 2 1 4 5 4
25 96,768 Peter Morris 1 2 2 WR 2 6 WR 2 4 3
26 117,600 Simon Kinnear 2 2 WR 1 2 3 2 7 7 5
27 120,960 Ewan Villiers 1 2 WR 6 2 3 1 7 4 6
28 141,120 Neil Toynay 3 1 WR 2 4 1 WR 4 7 3
= 141,120 Dave Woodley 2 1 5 6 4 3 2 7 7 2
30 188,160 The Face of Po 4 1 WR WR 1 1 2 WR 7 2
31 345,600 Ceadge 3 2 WR 1 WR 6 3 4 5 2
32 352,800 Chris Brannigan 1 1 1 WR 4 3 WR WR 5 5
33 740,880 Trevor Gensch 3 1 WR WR 2 1 WR 7 7 3
34 1,008,000 Djsmith 3 1 WR 6 WR 1 WR 4 5 5
35 1,646,400 Joe Henning 1 WR WR 1 WR 1 WR WR 5 6
36 2,116,800 cols123 3 2 WR WR 1 2 WR WR 5 3
37 7,408,800 Paul B Arthur 3 WR WR 2 4 3 WR 7 5 6
38 10,838,016 artyclarty WR 1 3 WR 2 WR WR WR 4 4

Here is the complete list of answers given. Each list shows correct
answers in the order worst to best (most to least popular).

0. Name two companions who met each other in exactly one story

4 Mel/Ace (Dragonfire)
3 Brigadier/Nyssa (Mawdryn Undead)
3 Captain Jack/Mickey (Boom Town)
3 Dodo/Polly (The War Machines)
3 Sarah/Tegan (Five Doctors)
3 Susan/Tegan (The Five Doctors)
3 Turlough/Peri (Planet of Fire)
2 Dodo/Ben (The War Machines)
2 Susan/Turlough (The Five Doctors)
2 Tegan/Kamelion (The King's Demons)
1 Barbara/Steven (The Chase)
1 Brigadier/Ace (Battlefield)
1 Ian/Steven (The Chase)
1 Jamie/Peri (The Two Doctors)
1 K9/Mickey (School Reunion)
1 Sarah/Turlough (The Five Doctors)
1 Steven/Sarah (Dalek Masterplan)
1 Susan/Brigadier (The Five Doctors)
1 Vicki/Katarina (The Myth Makers)
Wrong
1 Brigadier/Turlough (met twice)

"Met" was clearly intended to mean "interacted with" and not
"encountered for the first time". Nobody tried this second
interpretation, although I did get a couple of emails on the subject.

Correct answers to this question fell into two categories: hand-overs
and reunions, with The Five Doctors providing a lot of the latter.
There were traps however, The Brigadier met Turlough in Mawdryn Undead
as well, for example. I also wondered if someone would try The
Brigadier and Tegan but no-one did. One entrant claimed that Nyssa and
Turlough is a correct answer since they have no scenes together in
Terminus but - thankfully - I haven't had to rule on this, since
the entrant in question submitted another answer first.

The "obvious" answer of Sarah and Rose was not given by anyone,
although School Reunion did provide a right answer in the form of
K9/Mickey. K9/Rose and Sarah/Mickey would also have been fine. I am
allowing Mickey's companion status (generally thought to have begun
at the end of School Reunion) to have retrospective effect, making
Jack/Mickey a right answer for Boom Town.

Mel and Ace's handover seems to be fondly remembered, maybe as the
last such in the classic series (and in some ways, the last to date)
and maybe as a defining scene for the Seventh Doctor.

1. Give a word associated with "Doctor Who" which returns 250,000 or
more hits from an uncustomised Google search, according to the
approximate count given at the top of the first results page.

2 Axos (280,000)
2 Bessie (9,500,000)
2 Companion (212,000,000)
2 Dalek (2,880,000)
2 Pertwee (662,000)
2 Silurian (1,040,000)
1 Auton (3,770,000)
1 Baker (247,000,000)
1 Eccleston (1,870,000)
1 Flavia (8,350,000)
1 Gallifrey (484,000)
1 Marinus (4,660,000)
1 Mondas (539,000)
1 Monoids (290,000)
1 Omega (109,000,000)
1 Ood (6,780,000)
1 Panopticon (1,810,000)
1 Polly (27,900,000)
1 Regeneration (52,400,000)
1 Rutan (6,070,000)
1 Shada (281,000)
1 Sutekh (280,000)
1 Tellurian (264,000)
1 Tennant (10,300,000)
1 Thal (2,650,000)
1 Troughton (687,000)
1 Turlough (311,000)
1 Yeti (12,200,000)
Wrong
1 Jack (not associated with Doctor Who)
1 Lime (not associated with Doctor Who)
1 Quarks (not associated with Doctor Who)
1 Target (not associated with TV series)

Verifying the number of results here was not difficult (nor was getting
a good score), but I did have to rule on what constituted "associated
with Doctor Who". With 40+ years of history, it is hard to find a
word not associated with Doctor Who in some way, and so I have
confidently ruled that "Jack" (the entrant was thinking of Captain
Jack) and "Lime" (the entrant was thinking of Lime Grove) are not
associated with Doctor Who strongly enough to make the grade. Having
ruled "Jack" wrong, I was tempted to rule "Polly" wrong as
well, but I decided that "Polly" is a regular character in the
series, whereas "Jack" was not (it was always "Captain Jack").

The three borderline cases were "Yeti", "Companion" and
"Quarks" and after some ruminating, I have let "Companion" and
"Yeti" through but ruled "Quarks" wrong. To my mind, they are
all just barely associated with Doctor Who, but "Companion" refers
to the way the whole series works, and the Yeti were iconic returning
monsters, whereas "Quarks" refers to a single story and one that
was never part of the series' mythos.

"Target" is wrong on the basis that, unless specified, questions
refer to the TV series only.

2. Name a three-word story title which amounts to a concrete
noun-phrase describing a person or thing seen in the story.
(Definitions: a noun-phrase is one or more words which together
function as a noun, such as "long scarf". A concrete noun is one
referring to a physical object, such as a scarf, rather than something
intangible like an idea.)

5 The Space Museum
3 The Deadly Assassin (i.e. The Master)
2 An Unearthly Child (i.e. Susan)
2 The Celestial Toymaker
2 The Leisure Hive
1 Planet of Giants (i.e. Earth)
1 The Empty Child (i.e. Jamie)
1 The Idiot's Lantern (i.e. a television set)
1 The Invisible Enemy (i.e. the prawn)
1 The Mysterious Planet (i.e. Earth)
1 The Pirate Planet
1 The Time Meddler (i.e. The Monk)
Wrong
2 The King's Demons (plural)
2 The Space Pirates (plural)
2 The Two Doctors (plural)
2 The War Machines (plural)
1 Arc of Infinity (abstract)
1 Carnival of Monsters (abstract)
1 The Hand of Fear (4 words)
1 The Happiness Patrol (abstract)
1 The Ice Warriors (plural)
1 The Indestructible Man (books not included)
1 The Sun Makers (plural)
1 The Three Doctors (plural)
1 The Underwater Menace (abstract)

This question received more different wrong answers than any other DWRE
question! Apparently, some people stopped reading after
"noun-phrase" and failed to spot that I had specified "a person
or thing" - singular! Some also ignored the importance of the word
"concrete" and submitted abstract nouns such as "The Happiness
Patrol" or "Arc of Infinity". Somehow, "The Space Museum"
emerged as the top answer.

To justify some of these "abstract" rulings:
- A "patrol" is a group of people, plus a set of protocols,
organisational structures and so on - especially in the context of
this story.
- "The Arc of Infinity" is a region of space, hardly a concrete
noun.
- As far as I can tell, "The Underwater Menace" does not refer
explicitly to Zaroff or any other person or object featured in that
story (unlike "An Unearthly Child" or "The Celestial Toymaker"
for example).

"The Idiot's Lantern" gave me pause as I didn't think the title
referred to any particular television set, but to the idea of
television sets in general. However, I ultimately decided that since
the title referred to television sets and there was at least one in the
story, then it was a correct answer.

Many correct answers were not given including City of Death (i.e.
Paris), The Web Planet (i.e. Vortis), The Tenth Planet (i.e. Mondas),
The Mind Robber (i.e. The Master), The Time Monster (i.e. Kronos), The
Ultimate Foe (i.e. The Valeyard), The Satan Pit and others. If the
question was too complicated, I apologise.

3. Give a nickname that one Doctor Who character has used for another.

6 Duchess (Ben to Polly)
6 Professor (Ace to The Doctor)
2 Doughnut (Ace to Mel)
2 Old Girl (Harry to Sarah)
2 Ricky (Doctor to Mickey)
1 Bilgebag (Ace for Glitz)
1 Brickyard (Doctor for Valeyard)
1 Charlie (Doctor to Dickens)
1 Chunky (various to Group Capt Gilmore)
1 Jacks (Pete to Jackie)
1 Jumping Jack Flash (Mickey to Captain Jack)
1 Mickey the Idiot (Doctor for Mickey)
1 My Little Father (Nicolas Muss to Admiral de Coligny)
1 Old Thing (Harry to Sarah)
1 Romana (Doctor for Romanadvoratrelundar)
1 Savage (Doctor for Leela)
1 Sawbones (Capt Pike for the Doctor)
1 Sprog (Glitz for Ace)
1 Theta Sigma (Drax for the Doctor)
Wrong
1 Chesterfield (not a nickname)
1 Dandy (not a nickname)
1 Hairy legged highlander (description)
1 Jackanapes (not a nickname)
1 No answer given
1 Toerag (insult)

Lots of Duchesses and Professors here, but some dug a little deeper.

My dictionary does define nicknames to include short versions of names
("Jacks", "Romana") but not mere descriptions
("Jackanapes", "Dandy"), insults ("Toerag") or
mispronunciations ("Chesterfield"). "Bilgebag" I gave the
benefit of the doubt to; although basically an insult, when Ace says
it, I think it just about rises to the level of nickname.

"Savage" was such a common term of address for Leela, that although
it may have begun life as a description, I think by the time The Doctor
says "I'll miss you too, savage," at the end of The Invasion of
Time, it has become a nickname. "Brickyard" is a variation on a
true title, an insult and just barely a nickname as well (one of the
more tiresome aspects of The Trial of a Time Lord, but that's neither
here nor there).

"Romana" I thought was a particularly clever answer!

4. Name an alien race played (at least at times) by performers in
costumes where those costumes have always been designed to completely
conceal the performer within.

4 Fomasi
4 Monoids
3 Daleks
2 Gel Guards
2 Mandrils
2 Voord
2 Wirrn
1 Arcturans
1 Axons
1 Exxilons
1 Fendahl
1 Gastropods
1 Krotons
1 Mogarians
1 Plasmatons
1 Rills
1 Sensorites
1 Spiridons
1 Tractators
1 Tythonian
Wrong
2 Quarks (not a race)
1 Menoptra (actor's mouth visible)
1 Ogrons (actor's eyes visible)
1 Silurians (not alien)
1 Yeti (not a race)

My trap here was that some popular monsters have allowed for glimpses
of human actors inside: the original Cybermen had human hands, Kevin
Linday's tongue and eyes are seen in The Time Warrior, but nobody
fell for that. Accidental glimpses of actors (through the mesh at the
"neck" of a Dalek for example) doesn't alter the fact that the
costumes were designed to completely conceal the actor inside.

Instead, we get to argue about what is and is not a race. In my book,
robots are not a race. That rules out the Quarks and the Yeti -
sorry. The Krotons just about qualify as a race of robots (like the
Movellans). They are not tools used and built by another race and so
qualify for race-hood in their own right.

Amusingly, Quarks were wrong answers to two different questions, for
two different reasons.

5. Name an actor who has appeared in speaking, credited roles (and not
just as a voice) in four or more separate stories and who has played
two or more different characters.

6 Colin Baker
3 Peter Purves
3 Jacqueline Hill
3 Michael Sheard
3 Peter Halliday
2 Michael Wisher
2 Patrick Troughton
2 Prentis Hancock
2 William Hartnell
1 Nicholas Courtney
1 Anthony Ainley
1 Bernard Horsfall
1 Caroline John
1 Cyril Shaps
1 Graham Leaman
1 John Abineri
1 Lalla Ward
1 Philip Madoc
1 Roy Skelton
1 Sonny Caldinez
Wrong
1 Stuart Fell (not speaking parts)

A goof on my part. This question includes regular actors who also
played other parts, which means a handy list of right answers can be
found in an earlier DWRE where I asked you for doubles of regular
characters!

In fact, not all of these were used, but Hartnell and Troughton make
the list on that basis. Other regulars who also played other characters
include Colin Baker (Maxil and the top answer by a long way),
Jacqueline Hill (Lexa), Peter Purves (Morton Dill), Anthony Ainley
(Tremas) and Nicholas Courtney (Bret Vyon). And there are of course
actors who have notched up four appearances in different roles: Michael
Wisher, Michael Sheard and Peter Halliday being popular choices.

6. Name a character who appeared in exactly one episode of a
multi-episode Doctor Who story, and who did not die in that episode.

3 Amazonia (The Curse of Peladon 4)
2 Dodo (The Massacre 4)
2 Harvey (Survival 1)
2 Len (Survival 1)
2 Mrs Harcourt (The Doctor Dances)
1 Abraham Lincoln (The Chase 1)
1 Dr Beavis (Spearhead from Space 2)
1 Draconian Emperor (Frontier in Space 5)
1 Empress (Marco Polo 7)
1 Garge (Daleks Masterplan 3)
1 Griffin (The Enemy of the World 3)
1 Ingmar Kopf (Dalek Masterplan 7)
1 John (Remembrance of the Daleks 2)
1 Morton Dill ([i]The Chase[i] 3)
1 Napoleon (The Reign of Terror 6)
1 Roald (The Daleks' Master Plan 1)
1 Sir Lancelot (The Mind Robber 5)
1 The Investigator (The Mutants 6)
1 The Marshall (The Sontaran Experiment 2)
1 The Master (Caves of Androzani 4)
1 Trevor (Dalek Masterplan 8)
Wrong
2 Art Gallery Visitor (City of Death 4) (not named)
1 Circus Strong Man (Terror of the Autons 2) (not named)
1 Head of Security (not named)
1 Jamie
1 Louvre Guide (City of Death 1 and 3) (and not named)
1 Professor Horner (The Daemons 1) (dies)
1 Skinhead (Silver Nemesis 3) (not named)
1 The Bride (Doomsday) (not named)
1 Time Lord (Genesis of the Daleks 1) (not named)
1 Time Lord (Terror of the Autons 1)

Here your choice tended to be between guest appearances (Harvey and Len
in Survival) and last-minute appearances (Dodo, Amazonia). However,
since I said "name a character", your character had to have a name.
I have accepted forms of address like "Empress" and "Marshall"
but if a character is not given any form of address at all, it's a
wrong answer, so bye-bye John Cleese and Eleanor Bron and farewell to
two nameless Time Lords and quite a handful of others. Your character
also had not to die, unlike Professor Horner who is frozen to death at
the end of the first episode of The Daemons.

Worst answer here was the Louvre Guide who is not named and appears in
more than one episode of City of Death and so is wrong on two counts;
you still get the same penalty score though.

7. Name anything belonging to or associated with the Time Lords whose
name follows the pattern "The [BLANK] of [BLANK]".

7 The Sash of Rassilon
4 The Coronet of Rassilon
4 The Game of Rassilon
4 The Rod of Rassilon
3 The Tomb of Rassilon
2 The Constellation of Kasterborous
2 The Seal of Rassilon
1 The Arc of Infinity
1 The Eye of Harmony
1 The Harp of Rassilon
1 The Laws of Gallifrey
1 The Staff of Rassilon
1 The Wisdom of Rassilon
Wrong
2 The Black Scrolls of Rassilon (does not fit pattern)
2 The Great Key of Rassilon (does not fit pattern)
1 The Hand of Fear (Kastrian)
1 The Keeper of the Matrix (does not fit pattern)

Style points (but no actual points) if you avoided the The Five Doctors
drinking game by picking an answer which did not include the word
"Rassilon". Penalty points if your answer is in the form "The
[BLANK] [BLANK] of [BLANK]" or some other such variation. Why the
Sash is the most popular answer (by some margin) I have no idea.

There is some confusion over which object is The Great Key of Rassilon,
which is The Key of Rassilon and which is The Rod of Rassilon. For the
purposes of this quiz, the first of these is a wrong answer, but the
other two are correct - regardless of which objects they refer to.

Abstractions such as "The Wisdom of Rassilon" were allowed,
provided they were actually referred to in dialogue.

8. Name a woman who has written or directed an episode of "Doctor Who"

7 Sarah Hellings (Mark of the Rani)
5 Barbara Clegg (Enlightenment)
5 Fiona Cumming (Castrovalva etc)
5 Mary Ridge (Terminus)
4 Julia Smith (The Underwater Menace)
4 Paddy Russell (Fang Rock etc)
3 Rona Munro (Survival)
2 Jane Baker (Mark of the Rani etc)
2 Lesley Scott (The Ark)
1 Paula Moore (Attack of the Cybermen)

All right answers were given and the distribution was fairly flat. Draw
your own conclusions from the fact that there exist only ten correct
answers. Co-writers were permitted (or they'd only be eight correct
answers) as are people whose actual contribution to the writing of a
story is in doubt - as long as they received a credit.

9. Name a story which featured the return appearance of a character not
otherwise seen during that story's season or the previous season.

6 The Monster of Peladon (Alpha Centauri)
5 Survival (The Master)
5 Time and the Rani (The Rani)
4 Battlefield (The Brigadier)
4 Destiny of the Daleks (Davros)
3 Arc of Infinity (Omega)
3 Enlightenment (White Guardian)
2 Mawdryn Undead (Brigadier)
2 The Two Doctors (Jamie)
1 Attack of the Cybermen (Cybercontroller)
1 Resurrection of the Daleks (Davros)
1 The Invasion of Time (Borusa)
Wrong
1 Dalek Emperor (different character)

Right answers not given include The Five Doctors, School Reunion, and
Caves of Androzani, and arguably Logopolis (flashbacks to past
companions).

I am fairly convinced that The Dalek Emperor in The Parting of the Ways
is not the one seen to be destroyed in The Evil of the Daleks unless
anyone else knows different. However, I know from DWRE1 that the
Cybercontroller in Attack is the same as the one in Tomb despite their
different appearances.

My thanks to all those who entered. DWRE6 will follow in the next few
weeks.

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk

Aug 4, 2006, 8:29:52 AM8/4/06

> I am fairly convinced that The Dalek Emperor in The Parting of the Ways
> is not the one seen to be destroyed in The Evil of the Daleks unless
> anyone else knows different. However, I know from DWRE1 that the
> Cybercontroller in Attack is the same as the one in Tomb despite their
> different appearances.

Tom...I dispute the fact the Dalek Emperoror in POTW is proven to be a
different character from Evil. Evil took place long after POTW in the
Dalek timeline so it's very possible it IS the same character. Perhaps
the Dalek Emperor somehow survived Rose's attack by dimension jumping
in the same way as the black Dalek did in Doomsday?

All Im saying is we have seen the Master supposedly "die" many times in
the history of the show but yet he always makes a return appearance.
Never have we speculated that it wasn't the same Master. The same with
Davros. In POTW Eccles Doc appears to actually recognise the Dalek
Emperor - even before they were introduced - which makes it seem they
have met before at some time...perhaps in Evil of the Daleks.

Unless you can say with certainty that the two empererors are indeed
different characters (which I dont think anybody can) then I'd like to
campaign for my answer to question 9 to be re-evaluated and my score
adjusted accordingly.

Bazza

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk

Aug 4, 2006, 8:30:00 AM8/4/06

> I am fairly convinced that The Dalek Emperor in The Parting of the Ways
> is not the one seen to be destroyed in The Evil of the Daleks unless
> anyone else knows different. However, I know from DWRE1 that the
> Cybercontroller in Attack is the same as the one in Tomb despite their
> different appearances.

The Face of Po

Aug 4, 2006, 3:34:14 PM8/4/06
I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
tomsa...@googlemail.com got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:

> 7. Name anything belonging to or associated with the Time Lords whose
> name follows the pattern "The [BLANK] of [BLANK]".
>
> Style points (but no actual points) if you avoided the The Five Doctors
> drinking game by picking an answer which did not include the word
> "Rassilon". Penalty points if your answer is in the form "The
> [BLANK] [BLANK] of [BLANK]" or some other such variation.

Hmm... as you've correctly caught me out on other answers by impressive
use of pedantry, I'm going to have to complain about this one.

Where did you specify that [BLANK] cannot include spaces?

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 6, 2006, 7:34:12 PM8/6/06

Sorry, bazza, that's not the way it works. You don't get to jump to a
conclusion - or worse make some stuff up - and say "it's not
contradicted in the series, so it's a right answer". Your answer has
got to be unambiguously supported in the series. Is it possible the two
Dalek Emperors are one and the same? Yes, but it's nowhere stated. On
the other hand, both got destroyed, they look completely different, the
Daleks relate to them differently and "Emperor" is a title that could
be passed from Dalek to Dalek. Your score remains unchanged.

Cheers

Tom

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 6, 2006, 7:35:14 PM8/6/06

The Face of Po wrote:
> I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
> tomsa...@googlemail.com got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> > 7. Name anything belonging to or associated with the Time Lords whose
> > name follows the pattern "The [BLANK] of [BLANK]".
> >
> > Style points (but no actual points) if you avoided the The Five Doctors
> > drinking game by picking an answer which did not include the word
> > "Rassilon". Penalty points if your answer is in the form "The
> > [BLANK] [BLANK] of [BLANK]" or some other such variation.
>
> Hmm... as you've correctly caught me out on other answers by impressive
> use of pedantry, I'm going to have to complain about this one.
>
> Where did you specify that [BLANK] cannot include spaces?

Did you imagine that whole paragraphs could fill that blank!?

Cheers

Tom

The Doctor

Aug 7, 2006, 1:13:51 AM8/7/06
In article <1154907314.8...@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

Welcome to being a quizmaster around here.

The Face of Po

Aug 7, 2006, 2:43:08 AM8/7/06

Provided that the whole block of text

(1) was mentioned in the show
and
(2) was definitely a thing belonging to or associated with the Time Lords

, yes.

What bothers me is that a space most certainly _is_ a kind of "blank" -
more so than a letter or number. So I'd initially interpreted [BLANK]
as being equivalent to the regular expression ".*", which means
"anything except a line-ending", and that would probably rule out
paragraphs. But as a "line-ending" is completely different beast in
regexps than in TV shows, I suppose another definition has to be sought.

Maybe you could have a question involving scanning, in which [BLANK]
should only be one syllable? ;-)

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 7, 2006, 8:49:16 AM8/7/06

I think you would be safe to assume that an understanding of regular
expressions is not required to correctly interpret the meanings of
questions in DWRE quizzes.

Thanks for playing

Cheers

Tom

solar penguin

Aug 7, 2006, 9:54:33 AM8/7/06
tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:

Since we like getting nostalgic about old BBC shows, don't forget what
Terry Wogan always used to say on Blankety Blank: 'Remember, although it
says Blank on the card, your answer can be Blankety Blank or even
Blankety Blanks,' meaning that one, two or three word Blanks were
allowed.

That's pretty much become the default rule in fill-the-blank games
(well, for anyone of the right generation to have watched that show as a
kid, anyway) so you should've told us if you weren't following those
rules.

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

** Your percentage will naturally be some kinda consultant...
(Exaggerated) ...She was an impostor, a Fleming born in the 50th
century.

The Doctor

Aug 7, 2006, 10:52:28 AM8/7/06
In article <1154954956.5...@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,

tomsa...@googlemail.com <tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>I think you would be safe to assume that an understanding of regular
>expressions is not required to correctly interpret the meanings of
>questions in DWRE quizzes.

Exciting times I see.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 7, 2006, 11:12:31 AM8/7/06

solar penguin wrote:
> tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:
>
> > The Face of Po wrote:
> >>
> >> What bothers me is that a space most certainly _is_ a kind of
> >> "blank" - more so than a letter or number. So I'd initially
> >> interpreted [BLANK] as being equivalent to the regular expression
> >> ".*", which means "anything except a line-ending", and that would
> >> probably rule out paragraphs. But as a "line-ending" is completely
> >> different beast in regexps than in TV shows, I suppose another
> >> definition has to be sought.
> >
> > I think you would be safe to assume that an understanding of regular
> > expressions is not required to correctly interpret the meanings of
> > questions in DWRE quizzes.
> >

> Since we like getting nostalgic about old BBC shows, don't forget what
> Terry Wogan always used to say on Blankety Blank: 'Remember, although it
> says Blank on the card, your answer can be Blankety Blank or even
> Blankety Blanks,' meaning that one, two or three word Blanks were
> allowed.

You make my point for me: "blank" is assumed to be one word!

Cheers

Tom

Ewan Villiers

Aug 7, 2006, 3:13:28 PM8/7/06
"The Face of Po" <gkenn...@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> wrote in message news:11549329...@iris.uk.clara.net...

> What bothers me is that a space most certainly _is_ a kind of "blank" -
> more so than a letter or number. So I'd initially interpreted [BLANK]
> as being equivalent to the regular expression ".*", which means
> "anything except a line-ending", and that would probably rule out
> paragraphs. But as a "line-ending" is completely different beast in
> regexps than in TV shows, I suppose another definition has to be sought.
>
> Maybe you could have a question involving scanning, in which [BLANK]
> should only be one syllable? ;-)

Ever watched have I got news for you?

The Face of Po

Aug 8, 2006, 2:38:33 AM8/8/06
I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
Ewan Villiers got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:

Yes - the last time I watched it, multiple missing words still only got
one blank for the lot of them (unless they spanned multiple lines, in
which case it was one blank per line or part of line).

Bazza

Aug 8, 2006, 4:01:24 AM8/8/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
That's okay Tom.....one for me to remember for next time. Someone made a
good argument against my theory on OG as well so I'll put it down to
experience.

Baz

The Doctor

Aug 8, 2006, 9:52:49 AM8/8/06
In article <115501911...@iris.uk.clara.net>,

The Face of Po <gkenn...@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> wrote:
>I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
>Ewan Villiers got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
>> "The Face of Po" <gkenn...@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> wrote in message
>>
>> > What bothers me is that a space most certainly _is_ a kind of "blank" -
>> > more so than a letter or number. So I'd initially interpreted [BLANK]
>> > as being equivalent to the regular expression ".*", which means
>> > "anything except a line-ending", and that would probably rule out
>> > paragraphs. But as a "line-ending" is completely different beast in
>> > regexps than in TV shows, I suppose another definition has to be sought.
>> >
>> > Maybe you could have a question involving scanning, in which [BLANK]
>> > should only be one syllable? ;-)
>>
>> Ever watched have I got news for you?
>
>Yes - the last time I watched it, multiple missing words still only got
>one blank for the lot of them (unless they spanned multiple lines, in
>which case it was one blank per line or part of line).

Picky!! Picky!!

The Doctor

Aug 8, 2006, 9:53:23 AM8/8/06
In article <oxXBg.62798$9d4....@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

Passionate debate I see.

Peter Morris

Aug 8, 2006, 12:26:58 PM8/8/06

> 38 entrants battled it out this time, with Andrew Hodson achieving a
> first place score of 400, just pipping John Dorney and Wilf who were
> joint second with 480.

Not that it matters on a cosmic scale, but I must disagree with your
marking me wrong on two questions.

> 3. Give a nickname that one Doctor Who character has used for another.

> Wrong
> 1 Chesterfield (not a nickname)

> My dictionary does define nicknames to include short versions of names
> ("Jacks", "Romana") but not mere descriptions
> ("Jackanapes", "Dandy"), insults ("Toerag") or
> mispronunciations ("Chesterfield").

Given that the Doctor obviously was doing it deliberately in
order to tease Ian, I think it counts.

> 6. Name a character who appeared in exactly one episode of a
> multi-episode Doctor Who story, and who did not die in that episode.
>

> Wrong

> 1 Time Lord (Genesis of the Daleks 1)

> since I said "name a character", your character had to have a name.

> farewell to
> two nameless Time Lords and quite a handful of others.

Again, I disagree. "Name" is so often used to mean "give a label to"
and does not neccessarily meanthat the person's actual name.
e.g. your Question 2 was "Name a three-word story title " That
does not mean the title has tobe someone's name. I think "the time lord"
is a good answer. Name me one reason why not.

solar penguin

Aug 8, 2006, 3:46:17 PM8/8/06
tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:

> solar penguin wrote:
>>
>> Since we like getting nostalgic about old BBC shows, don't forget
>> what Terry Wogan always used to say on Blankety Blank: 'Remember,
>> although it says Blank on the card, your answer can be Blankety
>> Blank or even Blankety Blanks,' meaning that one, two or three word
>> Blanks were allowed.
>
> You make my point for me: "blank" is assumed to be one word!

No. When asking the questions Wogan would say something like, 'When
George Formby sent his nightshirt to Mr. Wu's laundry, it shrunk in the
wash, and now it won't even fit over his little [Blank].' And the
contestants could answer either 'ukelele' or 'stick of rock' or
whatever. You see? [Blank] could be more than one word.

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

** John Lennon said it was a television series that ran from 1966 to
1967 on the island. The quake was felt in nearby Corfu.

** I watched them! They were laughing and banging the table!

Sean

Aug 8, 2006, 4:50:12 PM8/8/06

"solar penguin" <solar....@PLEASE.tiscali.REMOVE.co.THIS.uk> wrote in
message news:44d8ea15$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...

> tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:
>> solar penguin wrote:
>>>
>>> Since we like getting nostalgic about old BBC shows, don't forget
>>> what Terry Wogan always used to say on Blankety Blank: 'Remember,
>>> although it says Blank on the card, your answer can be Blankety
>>> Blank or even Blankety Blanks,' meaning that one, two or three word
>>> Blanks were allowed.
>>
>> You make my point for me: "blank" is assumed to be one word!
>>

> No. When asking the questions Wogan would say something like, 'When
> George Formby sent his nightshirt to Mr. Wu's laundry, it shrunk in the
> wash, and now it won't even fit over his little [Blank].' And the
> contestants could answer either 'ukelele' or 'stick of rock' or
> whatever. You see? [Blank] could be more than one word.
>
> --

(can't believe this but.....) terry would have said "'When

> George Formby sent his nightshirt to Mr. Wu's laundry, it shrunk in the

> wash, and now it won't even fit over his little [Blank].OR blankety
> blanks' (the plural). And the
> contestants could answer either 'ukulele' or 'stick of rock'

but tom was quite specific.

Sean

The Doctor

Aug 8, 2006, 6:15:05 PM8/8/06
In article <mX2Cg.646$r6...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

We need an appeal board.

The Doctor

Aug 8, 2006, 6:15:32 PM8/8/06
In article <44d8ea15$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,

solar penguin <solar....@PLEASE.tiscali.REMOVE.co.THIS.uk> wrote:
>tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:
>> solar penguin wrote:
>>>
>>> Since we like getting nostalgic about old BBC shows, don't forget
>>> what Terry Wogan always used to say on Blankety Blank: 'Remember,
>>> although it says Blank on the card, your answer can be Blankety
>>> Blank or even Blankety Blanks,' meaning that one, two or three word
>>> Blanks were allowed.
>>
>> You make my point for me: "blank" is assumed to be one word!
>>

>No. When asking the questions Wogan would say something like, 'When
>George Formby sent his nightshirt to Mr. Wu's laundry, it shrunk in the
>wash, and now it won't even fit over his little [Blank].' And the
>contestants could answer either 'ukelele' or 'stick of rock' or
>whatever. You see? [Blank] could be more than one word.

Thus spake the humourous one!

The Doctor

Aug 8, 2006, 6:15:55 PM8/8/06
In article <44d8f8f9$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,

Being a quizmaster is fun.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 9, 2006, 10:15:21 AM8/9/06
> > 3. Give a nickname that one Doctor Who character has used for another.
> > Wrong
> > 1 Chesterfield (not a nickname)
> > My dictionary does define nicknames to include short versions of names
> > ("Jacks", "Romana") but not mere descriptions
> > ("Jackanapes", "Dandy"), insults ("Toerag") or
> > mispronunciations ("Chesterfield").
>
> Given that the Doctor obviously was doing it deliberately in
> order to tease Ian, I think it counts.

It's not obvious to me, sorry.

> > 6. Name a character who appeared in exactly one episode of a
> > multi-episode Doctor Who story, and who did not die in that episode.
> >
> > Wrong
> > 1 Time Lord (Genesis of the Daleks 1)
> > since I said "name a character", your character had to have a name.
> > farewell to
> > two nameless Time Lords and quite a handful of others.
>
> Again, I disagree. "Name" is so often used to mean "give a label to"
> and does not neccessarily meanthat the person's actual name.
> e.g. your Question 2 was "Name a three-word story title " That
> does not mean the title has tobe someone's name. I think "the time lord"
> is a good answer. Name me one reason why not.

When I say "Name a story title", your answer has to be the name of the
story. "The one with the giant maggots" would not be a correct answer.

If I said (as I did in an earlier quiz) "Identify someone who..." then
a name would not be required.

Cheers

Tom

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 9, 2006, 10:17:31 AM8/9/06
solar penguin wrote:
> tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:
> > solar penguin wrote:
> >>
> >> Since we like getting nostalgic about old BBC shows, don't forget
> >> what Terry Wogan always used to say on Blankety Blank: 'Remember,
> >> although it says Blank on the card, your answer can be Blankety
> >> Blank or even Blankety Blanks,' meaning that one, two or three word
> >> Blanks were allowed.
> >
> > You make my point for me: "blank" is assumed to be one word!
> >

> No. When asking the questions Wogan would say something like, 'When
> George Formby sent his nightshirt to Mr. Wu's laundry, it shrunk in the
> wash, and now it won't even fit over his little [Blank].' And the
> contestants could answer either 'ukelele' or 'stick of rock' or
> whatever. You see? [Blank] could be more than one word.

And to correct the usual and natural assumption that [blank] means
exactly one word, the speech you quoted was used. Minus that speech,
the presumption is that you fill in the missing word. This is
demonstrated by the existence of that speech. IIRC this was later
simplified to "over his little BLANK or BLANKS" implying that one or
more words would be sufficient.

Cheers

Tom

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 9, 2006, 10:18:59 AM8/9/06
> > Ever watched have I got news for you?
>
> Yes - the last time I watched it, multiple missing words still only got
> one blank for the lot of them (unless they spanned multiple lines, in
> which case it was one blank per line or part of line).

It wasn't the word "blank", it was a black box, possibly designed to
look like government censorship. Not the same thing at all.

Cheers

Tom

MockTurtle

Aug 9, 2006, 12:39:39 PM8/9/06
> > Given that the Doctor obviously was doing it deliberately in
> > order to tease Ian, I think it counts.
> >

> It's not obvious to me, sorry.

Right. The big giveaway that he wasn't doing it deliberately comes at
the end of The Massacre. The Doctor is talking to himself, and STILL
manages to get Ian's name wrong.

Ewan Villiers

Aug 9, 2006, 4:56:44 PM8/9/06
"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message news:ebb2d9$sfq$1...@gallifrey.nk.ca...

> In article <mX2Cg.646$r6...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> Peter Morris <dont_sp@m_me.com> wrote:
Snip

> We need an appeal board.

Nah, we need people to accept the the Judges decision is final.

Add these to the next set of rules:
Rule 1a The Judge is always right.
Rule 1b If the Judge is wrong see rule 1a.

Ewan

The Doctor

Aug 9, 2006, 5:47:35 PM8/9/06
In article <1155133051.1...@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,

Your rules mate.

The Doctor

Aug 9, 2006, 5:47:59 PM8/9/06
In article <1155133139.3...@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,

Still welcome to USEnet.

The Doctor

Aug 9, 2006, 5:48:35 PM8/9/06
In article <g_rCg.1275$r61...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

Pessismist.

Peter Morris

Aug 9, 2006, 9:10:26 PM8/9/06

"MockTurtle" <mockf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

From The Romans ep 1.

DOCTOR : "I don't know that I'm under any obligation to report
my movements to you, Chesterfield."

BARBERA : "Chester-ton"

DOCTOR : "Oh, Barbera's calling you."

Ian does a double-take. Vicky giggles.

Seems to me like he's doing it deliberately.

(I've never seen The Massacre)

The Doctor

Aug 10, 2006, 12:19:14 AM8/10/06
In article <6IvCg.1407$r61...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

field?

Peter Morris

Aug 10, 2006, 12:00:51 PM8/10/06

> In article <6IvCg.1407$r61...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> Peter Morris <dont_sp@m_me.com> wrote:
>>
>>"MockTurtle" <mockf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Right. The big giveaway that he wasn't doing it deliberately comes at
>>> the end of The Massacre. The Doctor is talking to himself, and STILL
>>> manages to get Ian's name wrong.
>>
>>From The Romans ep 1.
>>
>>DOCTOR : "I don't know that I'm under any obligation to report
>>my movements to you, Chesterfield."
>>
>>BARBERA : "Chester-ton"
>>
>>DOCTOR : "Oh, Barbera's calling you."
>>
>>Ian does a double-take. Vicky giggles.
>>
>>Seems to me like he's doing it deliberately.
>>
>>(I've never seen The Massacre)
>>

> field?

exactly.

The Face of Po

Aug 10, 2006, 1:40:21 PM8/10/06
I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
tomsa...@googlemail.com got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:

You can do a black box when you've got a picture of a headline - you
can't in ASCII or speech. When they read the headline out loud on
HIGNFY, they tend to say the word "what" - which to me, is equivalent to
"blank" in the same context (apart from turning the sentence into a
question).

Can I take it that should a similar question come up in a future
contest, you'll include something that will prevent a repeat of this
confusion?

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 10, 2006, 2:57:51 PM8/10/06

That's a possible interpretation, but it doesn't rule out absent
mindness (and then embarrassment), and so it's not conclusive evidence
of anything.

Cheers

Tom

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 10, 2006, 2:59:14 PM8/10/06
The Face of Po wrote:
> I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
> tomsa...@googlemail.com got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> > >
> > > Yes - the last time I watched it, multiple missing words still only got
> > > one blank for the lot of them (unless they spanned multiple lines, in
> > > which case it was one blank per line or part of line).
> >
> > It wasn't the word "blank", it was a black box, possibly designed to
> > look like government censorship. Not the same thing at all.
>
> You can do a black box when you've got a picture of a headline - you
> can't in ASCII or speech. When they read the headline out loud on
> HIGNFY, they tend to say the word "what" - which to me, is equivalent to
> "blank" in the same context (apart from turning the sentence into a
> question).

Argument by analogy!?

> Can I take it that should a similar question come up in a future
> contest, you'll include something that will prevent a repeat of this
> confusion?

I always do my best to be clear. I don't always succeed.

Cheers

Tom

Peter Morris

Aug 10, 2006, 4:29:38 PM8/10/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

so, what about calling Mickey Smith "Ricky" then? Deliberate, or
absent-minded?

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk

Aug 10, 2006, 5:37:24 PM8/10/06

...and at the end of the day it's Tom who has put in all the effort to
do this for us so his decision must always be the final one. Despite
whether we all agree with it or not.

Baz

The Doctor

Aug 10, 2006, 5:41:39 PM8/10/06
In article <TKICg.1601$r61...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

Peter Morris <dont_sp@m_me.com> wrote:

>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <6IvCg.1407$r61...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
>> Peter Morris <dont_sp@m_me.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>"MockTurtle" <mockf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>From The Romans ep 1.
>>>
>>>DOCTOR : "I don't know that I'm under any obligation to report
>>>my movements to you, Chesterfield."
>>>
>>>BARBERA : "Chester-ton"
>>>
>>>DOCTOR : "Oh, Barbera's calling you."
>>>
>>>Ian does a double-take. Vicky giggles.
>>>
>>>Seems to me like he's doing it deliberately.
>>>
>>>(I've never seen The Massacre)
>>>

>> field?
>
>exactly.

BTW Barbara.

The Doctor

Aug 10, 2006, 5:42:54 PM8/10/06
In article <1155236271.2...@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

If WH was as deliberate as TB ...

The Doctor

Aug 10, 2006, 5:43:44 PM8/10/06
In article <SGMCg.1749$r61...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

But note the parallels.

Peter Morris

Aug 10, 2006, 11:25:13 PM8/10/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> This is the fifth Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
> rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below. By
> popular demand, this contest once again spans 1963-2006.

disagreements aside, nice quiz. The first one I've actually participated in.
it was fun. Oh, my.

When's the next one?

The Doctor

Aug 11, 2006, 8:37:46 AM8/11/06