Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest DWRE6

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 16, 2006, 1:03:18 PM8/16/06
Slightly later than planned, here is the sixth Doctor Who Rare Entries
contest. There a few minor rule changes from last time and these have
been highlighted below.

SHORT RULES

The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
objective is to give an answer that
(1) is correct, and
(2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.

** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

THE QUESTIONS

0. Name someone who was contracted to work on Doctor Who before 23
November 1963.
1. Name a companion who appeared with the First Doctor
2. Name a non-Earth location visited by the Second Doctor
3. Name a mode of transport used by the Third Doctor
4. Describe a use made of the Fourth Doctor's scarf, other than as an
item of clothing.
5. Name a character or race of beings who appeared with the Fifth
Doctor, and who also appeared with at least one earlier Doctor and at
least one later Doctor.
6. Name any person credited on at least one Doctor Who episode in the
Sixth Doctor's era and at least one episode of Blake's 7.
7. Name something destroyed or damaged by Nitro 9.
8. Name anything which appeared in or was referred to the Paul McGann
TV movie which also appeared in or was referred to in a previous Doctor
Who episode. For the purposes of this question, if two things have the
same name, they are assumed to be the same thing.
9. Name something which the Ninth Doctor described as "fantastic".

---

In order to participate in the contest, send your answers to me by
email (tomsa...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 25 August
2006. It is of course essential that nobody sees the answers given by
other entrants before the deadline, so please do NOT post your answers
here!

If there are fewer than 10 entrants, I may not bother working out who's
won, so if this sounds like fun, do encourage others to play.

Make sure you have read the rules before submitting your answers.

YOUR ATTENTION IS SPECIFICALLY DRAWN TO RULE 3. Please supply the
information asked for and only the information asked for. If you supply
two answers, I will take the first one. By way of example, in DWRE2 one
question read: "Some regular or recurring characters have met their
identical doubles. Name one of these doubles". Those who submitted
"Romana / Princess Strella" were deemed to have answered "Romana" (the
first of two answers given) and this was marked wrong, since I asked
for the name of the double, not the name of the regular character. You
have been warned.

1. Answers
For each of the questions above, your objective is to give an answer
that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people
as possible. Feel free to use any reference material you like to
RESEARCH your answers; but when you have found enough possible answers
for your liking, you are expected to choose on your own which one to
submit, WITHOUT mechanical or computer assistance: this is meant to be
a game of wits.

2. Scoring
The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

2.1 More Specific Variants
On some questions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer
that is a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else. In
that case the more specific variant will usually be scored as if the
two answers are different, but the other, less specific variant will be
scored as if they are the same.

2.2 Scoring Example
Say I ask for someone the Doctor has kissed. There are 27 entrants: 19
say "Rose" or "Rose Tyler", 2 say "Cassandra in the body of Rose
Tyler", 4 say "Captain Jack", 1 says "Daphne Ashbrook" and 1 says
"Lynda Moss". The 4 people who answered "Captain Jack" get 4 points
each. Since "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" is a more specific
variant of "Rose Tyler", those who said "Rose Tyler" get 21 points
each, and those who said "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" get 2
points each. The Doctor never kissed actress Daphne Ashbrook (although
he may have kissed Grace Holloway) nor Lynda Moss, so those answers are
both wrong. The persons who gave them both get the penalty score, which
is the median of:
- number of entrants = 27:
- sqrt(27) = 5.196+, rounded up = 6:
- double the most popular answer's count = 21 x 2 = 42:
or in this case, 27.

3. Entries
Entries must be emailed to me personally by email:
tomsa...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the the forum!
In general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization,
English usage, or other such matters of form. Sometimes a specific
question may imply stricter rules, though. And if you give an answer
that properly refers to a different thing related to the one you
intended, I will normally take it as written. Once you intentionally
submit an answer, no changes will be allowed, unless I decide there was
a problem with the question. Similarly, alternate answers within an
entry will not be accepted. Only the first answer that you
intentionally submit counts. You can expect an acknowledgement when I
read your entry. If this bounces, it won't be sent again.

3.1 Clarifications
Questions are not intended to be hard to understand, but I may fail in
this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity could only be
provided by an example which would suggest one or another specific
answer, and I mustn't do that.) In order to be fair to all entrants, I
must insist that requests for clarification must be emailed to me, NOT
POSTED in any mailing list. But if you do ask for clarification, I'll
probably say that the question is clear enough as posted. If I do
decide to clarify or change a question, all entrants will be informed.

3.2 Supporting Information
It is your option whether or not to provide supporting information to
justify your answers. If you don't, I'll email you to ask for it if I
need to. If you provide any explanatory remarks along with your
answers, you are responsible for making it sufficiently clear that they
are not part of the answers. The particular format doesn't matter as
long as you're clear.

4. Scope
Unless a question indicates otherwise, all questions refer to the
transmitted episodes of the BBC television series "Doctor Who" in its
original run from 1963 to 1989, the TV Movie of 1996 and the current
series which began in 2005. Only episodes transmitted at the time of
posting (in this case 26 July 2006) are included, and all other Doctor
Who related works are excluded. This excludes audio plays, comic
strips, spin-offs, TARDISodes, novelisations and probably more.

4.1 "Story" refers to one or more episodes, generally with the same
production code, writer and director, which tell a complete tale. For
the avoidance of doubt, the list of stories with their correct names is
taken to be the list presented on the Outpost Gallifrey Episode Guide
(http://www.gallifreyone.com/epguide.php), with the exceptions that
"Children in Need Special" and any stories listed under "Other Stories"
are excluded. "The Trial of a Time Lord" is considered to be an
honorary story title, as are the individual episode titles for modern
two-parters (which are generally referred to by both episode titles,
thus: "The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances").

Anything which is seen only in the "Previously on..." or "Next week
on..." segments of the 2005- series is not deemed to be part of that
episode. Any other flashbacks, recaps or the like are deemed to be part
of that episode.

4.2 "Companion" refers to anyone who travelled with the Doctor for two
or more consecutive stories. For the avoidance of doubt, the following
all have companion status: Katarina, Sara Kingdom, Brigadier
Lethbridge-Stewart, Adam, Captain Jack, Mickey. No other UNIT soldiers
have companion status (Harry Sullivan, Liz Shaw and Jo Grant obviously
are companions).

4.3 "Appears" or "Seen" mean seen on-screen, as opposed to merely
referred to in dialogue or implied. If a character is clearly heard to
speak, then they, and the actor who played them, are deemed to have
"appeared" regardless of whether we see them or not. RULE CHANGE:
"Appears with" means that the two characters featured at least once
in the same scene, with the exception that a character who appears in a
scene only in "flashback" footage shot for a previous episode is
not deemed to have "appeared with" any other characters in the
scene.

4.4 "Alien" means not originating from the planet Earth. In the absence
of other clear evidence, a character is considered a member of an alien
race if they do not look entirely human, or if despite looking human,
their planet of birth is not Earth and they are not referred to as
human (or it can be shown that they are not accurately referred to as
human).

4.5 "Actor" includes both male and female performers, but excludes
stunt-people, stand-ins doubling for a credited actor etc. unless the
question indicates otherwise. Generally a performer who does not
receive a credit is not regarded as an actor.

4.6 Unless otherwise specified, different incarnations of the same
character are the same character and will be treated as equivalent
answers, and equivalent to specifying that character without reference
to incarnation. In other words, "Romana", "Romana I" and "Romana II"
are all the same answer.

5. Judging
As moderator, I will be the sole judge of what answers are correct, and
whether two answers with similar meaning are considered the same,
different, or more/less specific variants. I will do my best to be fair
on all such issues, but sometimes it is necessary to be arbitrary. I
may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a serious error and it
affects the high finishers.

6. Results
Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
reasons.

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

Lio Convoy

Aug 16, 2006, 2:53:45 PM8/16/06
"tomsa...@googlemail.com" <tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in

> 0. Name someone who was contracted to work on Doctor Who before 23
> November 1963.

Terry Nation

> 1. Name a companion who appeared with the First Doctor

Susan

> 2. Name a non-Earth location visited by the Second Doctor

Satellite

> 3. Name a mode of transport used by the Third Doctor

Bessie

> 4. Describe a use made of the Fourth Doctor's scarf, other than as an
> item of clothing.

Rope

> 5. Name a character or race of beings who appeared with the Fifth
> Doctor, and who also appeared with at least one earlier Doctor and at
> least one later Doctor.

Dalek

> 6. Name any person credited on at least one Doctor Who episode in the
> Sixth Doctor's era and at least one episode of Blake's 7.

Mat Irvine

> 7. Name something destroyed or damaged by Nitro 9.

Tardis was damaged at one time by it

> 8. Name anything which appeared in or was referred to the Paul McGann
> TV movie which also appeared in or was referred to in a previous Doctor
> Who episode. For the purposes of this question, if two things have the
> same name, they are assumed to be the same thing.

Rassilon, Eye of Harmony, Gallifrey

> 9. Name something which the Ninth Doctor described as "fantastic".

Rose, himself

Sean

Aug 16, 2006, 3:05:34 PM8/16/06

"Lio Convoy" <lioc...@iwonttellyou.com> wrote in message

oh dear oh dear oh dear....why?

Sean

The Doctor

Aug 16, 2006, 4:36:56 PM8/16/06
In article <Xns98219085BB191li...@69.28.186.121>,

You forgot Rule number 3!
--
Member - Liberal International
This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca

solar penguin

Aug 16, 2006, 7:50:57 PM8/16/06

Sean <seann...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> oh dear oh dear oh dear....why?

It's become a tradition. Someone always gets the contest rules wrong.
It just wouldn't be the same if they didn't.

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

** Good evening. It has been built to operate transdimensionally,
available anywhere at any time across the axis.

** I've been a challenge from Clement? What is your challenge?

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 16, 2006, 7:52:11 PM8/16/06

I will not be posting any further Doctor Who Rare Entries competitions
on news groups, although they may continue on Outpost Gallifrey. I may
choose to make future contests available on request by email.

With thanks to all who entered without spoiling the contest for others
in the past.

Cheers

Tom Salinsky

The Doctor

Aug 16, 2006, 8:35:48 PM8/16/06
In article <44e3af6d$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,

solar penguin <solar....@PLEASE.tiscali.REMOVE.co.THIS.uk> wrote:

>Sean <seann...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> oh dear oh dear oh dear....why?
>>

>It's become a tradition. Someone always gets the contest rules wrong.
>It just wouldn't be the same if they didn't.

And then the quizmaster begins to wonder about illiterate.

The Doctor

Aug 16, 2006, 8:36:37 PM8/16/06
In article <1155772331.4...@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>,

Understandable Tom.

Rule 3 was very clear.

Lio Convoy

Aug 16, 2006, 9:20:56 PM8/16/06
doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote in

> You forgot Rule number 3!

No I didn't, as I've stated in the past for this, I refuse to send my email
address to someone I do not know.

Major ChrisB

Aug 16, 2006, 11:02:46 PM8/16/06

"Lio Convoy" <lioc...@iwonttellyou.com> wrote in message

well dont fucking play and ruin it for others you gigantic wank bag

Major ChrisB

Aug 16, 2006, 11:05:47 PM8/16/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> on news groups, although they may continuen Outpost Gallifrey. I may

> choose to make future contests available on request by email.
>
> With thanks to all who entered without spoiling the contest for others
> in the past.

completly understandable. Perhaps a post here leading to the Gallifrey post
would be easier than the e-mail on request. I dont post there but I would
certainly appreciate a link to the quiz when it's posted that I can then
copy/paste onto an e-mail. Ideally setting up a small, free hosted web page
with the quizes and results on them would be convenient for everyone but the
initial setting up of that kind of thing may not interest you.

thanks for posting these, sorry other retards spoil the enjoyment for
everyone else....

chris

Sean

Aug 17, 2006, 6:17:26 AM8/17/06

"Lio Convoy" <lioc...@iwonttellyou.com> wrote in message

I can't think of enough expletives to describe you.
you are scum, just go away.

Sean

Bob Shoggoth

Aug 17, 2006, 7:30:01 AM8/17/06

"Sean" <seann...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

Quite. I don't even play, but this is dog in a mangerism at it's worst.
Twat.

Major ChrisB

Aug 17, 2006, 9:04:37 AM8/17/06

"Sean" <seann...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

I think his excuse is fair enough, same reason they let boxers and athletes
forget the no performance enhancing drugs rules....they can't expect them to
go out there and run with people they dont know when they might run faster
than them...

The Doctor

Aug 17, 2006, 10:05:25 AM8/17/06
In article <Xns9821D234D7EFFli...@69.28.186.121>,

Thanks to you everyone loses.

You are nominated as troll of the year!

The Doctor

Aug 17, 2006, 10:06:06 AM8/17/06
In article <r%QEg.13807$zD1....@fe61.usenetserver.com>,

Major ChrisB <cgbrannig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Lio Convoy" <lioc...@iwonttellyou.com> wrote in message
>> doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote in
>>
>>> You forgot Rule number 3!
>>
>> No I didn't, as I've stated in the past for this, I refuse to send my
>> email
>> address to someone I do not know.
>
>well dont play and ruin it for others you gigantic wank bag

What a troll Major.

The Doctor

Aug 17, 2006, 10:08:10 AM8/17/06
In article <h2REg.1056$88....@fe47.usenetserver.com>,

As the idiot said I do not send e-mail to those I do not know.

Stuff him. BTW, the quizmaster could have set the Followup-To: to /dev/null
and Reply-To: to his e-mail address.

The Doctor

Aug 17, 2006, 10:09:43 AM8/17/06
In article <44e44...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,

We should all flood Lio Convoy's E-mail address.

The Doctor

Aug 17, 2006, 10:10:09 AM8/17/06
In article <ZqYEg.1272$7Q5....@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>,

Lio Convoy is a killjoy.

The Doctor

Aug 17, 2006, 10:11:30 AM8/17/06
In article <HPZEg.79416$_8.7...@fe34.usenetserver.com>,

Floyd Landis comes to mind.

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk

Aug 17, 2006, 2:07:31 PM8/17/06
I could understand genuine entries posted in error as we have sometimes
had before but not deliberate postings by some tosser who knows the
rules but just can't be arsed to abide by them. I wonder if this is
that idiot Morbius up to his old tricks again???

Tom...please let me know by e-mail as usual and just post the results
here as there is always some prat keen to spoil things for others.

Baz

Bob Shoggoth

Aug 17, 2006, 2:16:06 PM8/17/06

<bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>I could understand genuine entries posted in error as we have sometimes
> had before but not deliberate postings by some tosser who knows the
> rules but just can't be arsed to abide by them. I wonder if this is
> that idiot Morbius up to his old tricks again???

Morbius had a brain.....

The Doctor

Aug 17, 2006, 3:44:32 PM8/17/06
In article <1155838051....@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

What a trolling idiot! IT ruined the game.

The Doctor

Aug 17, 2006, 3:45:06 PM8/17/06
In article <Gn2Fg.585$_06....@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,

Look for the troll that refused to adhere to Rule #3.

Lio Convoy

Aug 17, 2006, 4:10:02 PM8/17/06

>>I can't think of enough expletives to describe you.
>>you are scum, just go away.
>>

> We should all flood Lio Convoy's E-mail address.

Sure, flood my email address. I guess that would prove what most say about
you anyway.

Shawn

Aug 17, 2006, 5:26:12 PM8/17/06
Let the facts show that on 8/16/06 4:36 PM, The Doctor at
doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca wrote:

Couple of multiple answers too. Is that Rule Zero?

The Doctor

Aug 17, 2006, 7:52:15 PM8/17/06
In article <Xns98229D75A31EBli...@69.28.186.121>,

You are scum idiot!

The Doctor

Aug 17, 2006, 7:52:36 PM8/17/06
In article <C10A572B.16474%Shaw...@verizon.net>,

Who knows :-)

Lio Convoy

Aug 18, 2006, 1:43:52 AM8/18/06

>>Sure, flood my email address. I guess that would prove what most say
>>about you anyway.
>
> You are scum idiot!

I'm waiting for you to flood my email

pretty please?

wah wah wah, you know what they say, whining about petty shit over usenet
is like performing in the special olympics.

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk

Aug 18, 2006, 5:14:10 AM8/18/06

The Doctor wrote:
> In article <1155838051....@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> <bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >I could understand genuine entries posted in error as we have sometimes
> >had before but not deliberate postings by some tosser who knows the
> >rules but just can't be arsed to abide by them. I wonder if this is
> >that idiot Morbius up to his old tricks again???
> >
> >Tom...please let me know by e-mail as usual and just post the results
> >here as there is always some prat keen to spoil things for others.
> >

> What a trolling idiot! IT ruined the game.
> --
Actually Dave I don't think it ruined the game. The clever part about
Tom's quiz is that in order to win you need to supply answers that
no-one else has thought of......this fool just reeled off some answers
off the top of his head and none of them were particularly clever
anyway! Even if he had submitted them by e-mail he would have stood
zero chance of winning as he has neither the intelligence or the
knowledge of the program to realistically compete.

Baz

The Doctor

Aug 18, 2006, 8:19:54 AM8/18/06
In article <Xns9823AAB5F37lio...@69.28.186.121>,

Lio Convoy <lioc...@iwonttellyou.com> wrote:
>doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote in
>
>>>Sure, flood my email address. I guess that would prove what most say
>>>about you anyway.
>>
>> You are scum idiot!
>
>I'm waiting for you to flood my email
>
>pretty please?

TROLL!

The Doctor

Aug 18, 2006, 8:20:31 AM8/18/06
In article <1155892450.5...@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

And in the process, Tom just packed up and left.

John Hall

Aug 18, 2006, 5:41:01 AM8/18/06

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
>The clever part about
>Tom's quiz is that in order to win you need to supply answers that
>no-one else has thought of......this fool just reeled off some answers
>off the top of his head and none of them were particularly clever
>anyway! Even if he had submitted them by e-mail he would have stood
>zero chance of winning as he has neither the intelligence or the
>knowledge of the program to realistically compete.

His would have been a good entry for a Common Entries competition.
--
John Hall
Johnson: "Well, we had a good talk."

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 18, 2006, 1:51:33 PM8/18/06

John Hall wrote:
> In article <1155892450.5...@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
> >The clever part about
> >Tom's quiz is that in order to win you need to supply answers that
> >no-one else has thought of......this fool just reeled off some answers
> >off the top of his head and none of them were particularly clever
> >anyway! Even if he had submitted them by e-mail he would have stood
> >zero chance of winning as he has neither the intelligence or the
> >knowledge of the program to realistically compete.
>
> His would have been a good entry for a Common Entries competition.

These do in fact exist, but for my money they are much less fun then
Rare Entries. The restriction on correct answers is usually lifted as
well, further reducing the appeal (certainly from my side of the
table!).

Cheers

Tom

The Doctor

Aug 18, 2006, 2:48:24 PM8/18/06
In article <RDB1i3Ft...@jhall.demon.co.uk>,

John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <1155892450.5...@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk writes:
>>The clever part about
>>Tom's quiz is that in order to win you need to supply answers that
>>no-one else has thought of......this fool just reeled off some answers
>>off the top of his head and none of them were particularly clever
>>anyway! Even if he had submitted them by e-mail he would have stood
>>zero chance of winning as he has neither the intelligence or the
>>knowledge of the program to realistically compete.
>
>His would have been a good entry for a Common Entries competition.
>--

Oh well, all over for now.

The Doctor

Aug 18, 2006, 2:48:55 PM8/18/06
In article <1155923493.1...@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

Stiil e-mail only works.

Lio Convoy

Aug 19, 2006, 8:21:19 PM8/19/06

>>pretty please?
>>

> TROLL!

PKB

The Doctor

Aug 19, 2006, 8:36:59 PM8/19/06
In article <Xns9824C82D7EC7Bli...@69.28.186.121>,

Pot Blue STONED!

--
Member - Liberal International
This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!

New Brunswick kick out the Harper Puppet and VOTE LIBERAL on 18 Sept 2006

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk

Aug 22, 2006, 8:43:00 AM8/22/06

Your a brain dead fuck Convoy...

Baz

The Doctor

Aug 22, 2006, 10:30:26 AM8/22/06
In article <1156250570.6...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
>Your a brain dead Convoy...

Convoy is a stupid Zombie.

--
Member - Liberal International
This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!

Peter Morris

Aug 24, 2006, 5:23:47 PM8/24/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Slightly later than planned, here is the sixth Doctor Who Rare Entries
> contest. There a few minor rule changes from last time and these have
> been highlighted below.
>
> SHORT RULES
>
> The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
> objective is to give an answer that
> (1) is correct, and
> (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.
>
> ** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **
>
> THE QUESTIONS

> 0. Name someone who was contracted to work on Doctor Who before 23
> November 1963.

VERITY LAMBERT

> 1. Name a companion who appeared with the First Doctor

TEGAN (Five Doctors)

> 2. Name a non-Earth location visited by the Second Doctor

THE TOMB OF RASSILON

> 3. Name a mode of transport used by the Third Doctor

WHEELCHAIR (Spearhead From Space)

> 4. Describe a use made of the Fourth Doctor's scarf, other than as an
> item of clothing.

To help the confused post-regeneration 5th doctor find his way
through a maze of corridors in the TARDIS

> 5. Name a character or race of beings who appeared with the Fifth
> Doctor, and who also appeared with at least one earlier Doctor and at
> least one later Doctor.

THE HUMAN RACE

> 6. Name any person credited on at least one Doctor Who episode in the
> Sixth Doctor's era and at least one episode of Blake's 7.

M.A.C. ADAMS (Editor)

> 7. Name something destroyed or damaged by Nitro 9.

THE CANNISTERS THAT HELD THE NITRO

> 8. Name anything which appeared in or was referred to the Paul McGann
> TV movie which also appeared in or was referred to in a previous Doctor
> Who episode. For the purposes of this question, if two things have the
> same name, they are assumed to be the same thing.

H.G. WELLS

> 9. Name something which the Ninth Doctor described as "fantastic".

THE GELF (first time he saw them in the theatre)

MockTurtle

Aug 24, 2006, 7:54:33 PM8/24/06

Peter Morris wrote:

> > ** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **
> >
> > THE QUESTIONS
> >
> > 0. Name someone who was contracted to work on Doctor Who before 23
> > November 1963.
>

> VERITY LAMBERT (etc etc etc)

You think you're funny, but you're not.

Peter Morris

Aug 24, 2006, 8:28:50 PM8/24/06

"MockTurtle" <mockf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Oh shit.

I intended to send this to Tom. I must have hit "reply to group"
rather than "reply"

I'm really, really sorry everyone. I swear it wasn't deliberate.
A bad mistake for which I accept full responsibility, but I really didn't
mean to spoil anyone's fun.

The Doctor

Aug 24, 2006, 11:41:28 PM8/24/06
In article <DNoHg.8339$r61....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

Another tosser for you.

The Doctor

Aug 24, 2006, 11:41:45 PM8/24/06
In article <1156463673....@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,

Freaks for you.

The Doctor

Aug 24, 2006, 11:42:22 PM8/24/06
In article <6vrHg.8422$r61...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

Peter Morris <dont_sp@m_me.com> wrote:

>"MockTurtle" <mockf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> VERITY LAMBERT (etc etc etc)
>>
>> You think you're funny, but you're not.
>
>I intended to send this to Tom. I must have hit "reply to group"
>rather than "reply"
>
>I'm really, really sorry everyone. I swear it wasn't deliberate.
>A bad mistake for which I accept full responsibility, but I really didn't
>mean to spoil anyone's fun.

You are no Lio.

Still G for groups response ...

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk

Aug 25, 2006, 7:10:43 AM8/25/06

I don't believe the idiocy of some posters on this group....its just as
well that DWRE7 will be an e-mail only quiz.

Bazza

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk

Aug 25, 2006, 7:10:52 AM8/25/06

I don't believe the idiocy of some posters on this group....its just as

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 25, 2006, 7:49:03 AM8/25/06
A smaller than usual field of entries, with just 28 people battling for
supremacy; a battle won by Ceadge with an excellent score of just 216.
Dave Woodley was second and in joint third place Simon Kinnear and
Jonathan Morris. Wilf records his first entry outside the top five; in
fact, he's outside the top ten!

CEADGE DAVE WOODLEY JONATHAN MORRIS JMOL
0 Derek Ware Eliz. Blattner Eileen Way Howard Lang
1 Dodo Chaplet Barbara Wright Vicki Sarah Jane
2 Gond City Vulcan Silver Carrier Space Station C
3 Motor cycle Milk float Parachute Mineshaft lift
4 Framing the Doc Tripping guard Guide for Leela Stopping Namin
5 Time Lords The 2nd Doctor Peri Sarah Jane
6 Jacq. Pearce Eliz. Parker Helen Blatch Pennant Roberts
7 Pipe A Dalek Ace's art block Dock bay doors
8 Snake Gallifrey Stonehenge Tardis doors
9 Platform One Gelth in theatre Himself Himself

To review the scoring:
The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

Here is the complete table of scores.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1 216 Ceadge 1 3 1 2 4 3 3 1 1 1
2 324 Dave Woodley 1 1 3 1 1 2 1 9 3 2
3 432 Jonathan Morris 1 3 2 1 1 3 3 1 1 8
4 480 Jmol 1 1 3 1 1 5 1 4 1 8
5 729 Chris Brannigan 1 3 3 1 1 3 3 3 3 1
6 810 Simon Kinnear 1 1 2 3 3 3 1 1 3 5
7 960 fortmap 1 1 2 2 3 5 1 1 2 8
8 1,080 Mock Ferret 1 2 2 2 3 3 1 3 1 5
9 1,440 Ed Jolley 2 3 1 3 1 8 2 1 1 5
10 1,620 sontaran@tiscali 1 3 2 1 1 5 WR 9 1 1
11 2,700 Bazza 1 3 1 2 1 5 3 3 2 5
12 3,456 Peter Morris 2 3 2 3 2 8 1 3 1 2
13 4,608 Chriskelf 1 2 4 2 2 1 3 3 2 8
14 5,760 Wilf 2 5 3 3 1 8 1 1 1 8
15 6,912 Dave Jones 1 3 4 1 2 8 2 WR 1 1
= 6,912 beyondthevoid 1 1 2 1 1 8 3 3 3 WR
17 8,640 Andrew Curnow 2 3 3 2 2 5 3 1 1 8
18 9,216 Biggles 2 2 4 1 1 WR 3 4 3 1
19 11,520 Lee Johnson 1 5 3 1 4 2 3 4 1 8
20 12,960 Cols123 1 1 2 2 4 3 2 9 3 5
21 13,824 Beano 2 3 1 2 4 3 3 2 2 8
22 17,280 Luke Curits 1 1 3 3 4 8 3 4 1 5
23 24,300 snacky1973 1 5 3 1 4 3 1 9 3 5
24 25,920 genesisrockz 2 5 2 2 4 3 3 9 2 1
25 41,472 btn 2 2 3 1 WR 8 3 9 2 1
26 116,640 yohinnchild 2 3 4 1 4 3 3 9 3 5
27 233,280 Tim Barnett 2 3 2 3 WR 3 2 9 3 5
28 583,200 Aloysius 1 5 3 2 6 8 3 9 3 5

Here is the complete list of answers given. Each list shows correct
answers in the order worst to best (most to least popular). >>>
indicates that the "more specific variant" scoring was used.

Once again, an oaf on rec.arts.drwho thought it would be funny to post
his answers publicly. I say "thought it would be funny" because
this individual ("Lio Convoy") is a repeat offender and merely
offered the ludicrous defence that he did not wish to pass on his email
address to a stranger. Fine, then use an anonymiser, or don't enter.
As a result of this action, I will no longer be posting DWRE
competitions on news groups, although I may continue to advertise them
there.

As usual, where legitimate answers duplicate those of the miscreant,
they are identified with a *.

Another dope, who emailed me to ask whether the contest was still worth
entering after this act of vandalism, proceeded to also post his
answers publicly - this time, in error. Since this was in the dying
hours of the contest, I have allowed the entry to stand.

[b]0. Name someone who was contracted to work on Doctor Who before 23
November 1963.[/b]

2 Peter Brachacki (designer, pilot)
2 Reg Cranfield (actor)
2 Rex Tucker (Director)
2 Terry Nation *
2 Verity Lambert
1 Anthony Coburn (writer)
1 Bernard Lodge (titles)
1 Daphne Dare (costumes)
1 David Whitaker (Story editor)
1 Derek Newark (actor)
1 Derek Ware (fight arranger)
1 Eileen Way (actor)
1 Elizabeth Blattner (makeup, pilot)
1 Gerald Taylor (Dalek)
1 Howard Lang (actor)
1 Jeremy Young (actor)
1 John Lucarotti (writer)
1 Maureen Heneghan (costimes)
1 Norman Kay (music)
1 Norman Stewart (Prod Asst)
1 Waris Hussein (director)
1 William Hartnell
1 William Russell

A nice easy one to start with. I have assumed that anyone who worked in
any professional capacity on any episode of the programme known to have
been in production before 23 November 1963 qualifies. With
post-production, one has to be a little more careful, but only Norman
Kay who provided music could conceivably have provided his contribution
too late, and since he in fact provided music for the Pilot, he easily
qualifies. The basis for the assumption is that even BBC staff
directors and designers would be contracted to work for the BBC, and so
if under the terms of that contract they are required to work on Doctor
Who, they can be said to be contracted to work on Doctor Who. Those
working for freelance suppliers like Shawcraft Models might also have
been acceptable.

[b]1. Name a companion who appeared with the First Doctor[/b]

5 Ben Jackson
3 Dodo Chaplet
3 Tegan
3 Turlough
3 Vicki
2 Polly
2 Steven Taylor
1 Barbara Wright
1 Ian Chesterton
1 Jo Grant
1 Katarina
1 Sara Kingdom
1 Sarah Jane Smith
1 Susan *

This question was deliberately designed to permit Three Doctors and
Five Doctors answers, which created a pleasing collision on Tegan and
Turlough. Ben Jackson, however, is evidently the just-obscure-enough
companion of choice.

I note that in general, this one-Doctor-per-question structure places a
lot of emphasis on multi-Doctor stories. Thinking in this way does not
always help entrants, however...

[b]2. Name a non-Earth location visited by the Second Doctor[/b]

4 Dulkis (The Dominators)
>>> 1 The Island of Death
4 Gallifrey (The Five Doctors)
>>> 3 The Dark Tower
3 Moon (The Moonbase)
3 Space Station Camera (The Two Doctors)
3 Vulcan (Power of the Daleks)
2 Alpha Four Beacon (The Space Pirates)
2 Silver Carrier (The Wheel in Space)
2 Telos (Tomb of the Cybermen)
2 The Land of Fiction (The Mind Robber)
1 Gond City (The Krotons)
1 Omega's realm (The Three Doctors)
1 The Roman Zone (The War Games)

This question was originally "name an alien planet visited by the
Second Doctor" until I realised just how limited the answers were
(Dulkis, Vulcan, Gallifrey... er... er...). The entrant who answered
"Gallifrey" was scuppered by one who answered "The Tower of
Rassilon" - which I took to mean The Dark Tower - and another who
answered "The Tomb of Rassilon" - a room within The Dark Tower.

I suspected that the three entrants who cited the Moon would be
scuppered in time by one who answered - frankly, more obviously -
the Moonbase, but it was not to be.

I accepted "Omega's Realm" and "The Land of Fiction" as the
best names available for those locations. Once again, an out-of-era
answer (Space Station Camera) does badly. You were better off sticking
to 1960s stories.

[b]3. Name a mode of transport used by the Third Doctor[/b]

3 The Tardis
3 Wheelchair (Spearhead from Space)
2 Boat
>>> 1 Speedboat (Planet of the Spiders)
2 Motor cycle (The Daemons)
2 Motor tricycle (Day of the Daleks)
2 Space ship
>>> 1 Recovery 7 (Ambassadors of Death)
2 Teleport (The Mutants)
2 Walking
1 Cherry picker (The Green Death)
1 Diving Bell (The Sea Devils)
1 Hovercraft (Planet of the Spiders)
1 Land Rover (The Green Death)
1 Milk float (The Green Death)
1 Mineshaft lift (The Green Death)
1 Parachute (Planet of the Daleks)
1 Prison Van (Mind of Evil)
1 Stolen car (Spearhead from Space)
1 Whomobile

Lots of choice here, but again a couple of people fell foul of the more
specific variant rule. Not surprisingly, "The Tardis" is one of the
top answers, although with a larger field, I would expect to see it
garner more votes, and probably the Whomobile too.

Nobody voted for Bessie - except rec.arts.drwho vandal Lio Convoy
that is.

[b]4. Describe a use made of the Fourth Doctor's scarf, other than as
an item of clothing.[/b]

6 A tripwire
>>> 4 Tripping up Eldrad (The Hand of Fear)
>>> 1 Tripping up the Master (Logopolis)
4 Framing the Doctor (The Leisure Hive)
3 Measuring squares (Pyramids of Mars)
2 Rescuing Romana from a cliff (Stones of Blood)
2 Unravelled as a trail through the Tardis (Castrovalva)
1 Bandage (Warrior's Gate)
1 Blindfold (The Face of Evil)
1 Guide for Leela (The Invisible Enemy)
1 Leaving a false trail (The Android Invasion)
1 Stopping Namin shooting Warlock (Pyramids of Mars)
1 Tie up an enemy
1 Tripping up executioner (Masque of Mandragora)
1 Tripping up guard (Robot)
1 Trying to turn off switch (Ark in Space)
Wrong
1 No answer given
1 Slingshot

Another blow struck by More Specific Variant scoring. Tripping up
Eldrad was a very popular answer already but "tripwire" is a less
specific variant of that, and so is tripping up the Master. I have kept
the Doctor's tripping of his execution in Masque separate however, as
- if my memory is accurate - the Doctor sort of scoops his legs out
from under him, rather than leaving the scarf stretched as a tripwire.
The same is true of the guard in Robot.

"Framing the Doctor" was the second most popular answer, and after
some thought I treated "strangling Stimson" as equivalent. That
entrant should not complain too much, since I nearly marked this wrong.
It's not at all clear that the scarf was actually used to perform the
strangulation, only that this is how it is made to appear.

As it happens up to this point, no answer has been marked wrong which
is something of a first for a DWRE competition, but certainly a change
after the last one! So here is the first wrong answer, but even this
one might be right! I can't find a story in which the Doctor's
scarf is used as a slingshot, and the entrant did not reply to my
request for clarification. Obviously, if they - or anybody - can
manage to cite one, I will correct the score accordingly.

The * answer was "rope" which would have been wrong. That doesn't
reach the standard of "describe a use", it merely names another
object which might be put to a similar use.

[b]5. Name a character or race of beings who appeared with the Fifth

Doctor, and who also appeared with at least one earlier Doctor and at

least one later Doctor.[/b]

8 Humans
5 Sarah Jane Smith
3 Brigadier
3 Daleks *
3 Peri
3 Time Lords
>>> 1 Gallifreyans
2 The Second Doctor
Wrong
1 Black Guardian (did not appear after Enlightenment)

Now this is a bit trickier, and there is a clearly wrong answer. The
Black Guardian did not appear with any Doctors after Davison, and
multi-Doctor stories won't help you here either.

I'll whizz through the correct answers: humans and Daleks obviously
qualify, Sarah Jane appeared with Pertwee and Baker in their normal
run, met the Fifth Doctor in the Dark Tower and met the Tenth Doctor in
School Reunion. Peri met the Fifth and Sixth Doctors in their normal
run, and the Second Doctor in The Two Doctors. Time Lords featured in
The Deadly Assassin, Arc of Infinity and The Mysterious Planet to name
just three stories which qualify them. The Brigadier met the Fifth
Doctor in Mawdryn Undead and the Seventh Doctor in Battlefield as well
as multiple adventures with earlier incarnations.

The Second Doctor is not disallowed under the regeneration/equivalent
rule: it is true that the answer "The Second Doctor" is equivalent
to the answer "The Doctor", but it happens that the Second Doctor
is the only incarnation who meets the required conditions (met the
Third Doctor in The Three Doctors, the Fifth in The Five Doctors and
the Sixth in The Two Doctors).

Nobody mentioned the Cybermen, Davros or The Master all of whom would
also have qualified! One entrant provided a complete list (which
omitted Peri and Sarah Jane) before going for Daleks. For once, Daleks
wasn't the worst answer (but wait till we get to question 7).

[b]6. Name any person credited on at least one Doctor Who episode in
the Sixth Doctor's era and at least one episode of Blake's 7.[/b]

3 Colin Baker (City at the Edge of the World, The Doctor)
3 Helen Blatch (Powerplay, Twin Dilemma)
3 Jacqueline Pearce (Servelan, The Two Doctors)
3 Lynda Bellingham (Headhunter, Inquisitor)
3 Paul Darrow (Avon, Time Lash)
2 Brian Blessed (Cygnus Alpha, Mind Warp)
2 Tom Chadbon (Countdown, The Mysterious Planet)
1 Adam Blackwood (Assassin, The Mysterious Planet)
1 Elizabeth Parker (special sound, music)
1 M.A.C. Adams (editor Orac, ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN)
1 Pennant Roberts (Bounty, Time Lash)
1 Peter Childs (Cygnus Alpha, Mark of the Rani)
1 Robert Holmes (Killer, The Two Doctors)
1 Stephen Yardley (Sand, [i[Vengeance on Varos)
1 Yolande Palfrey (Pressure Point, Terror of the Vervoids)
Wrong
1 Terry Molloy (not in Blake's 7)

Easy to check and almost no-one got this wrong. With a bit of work it
was easy to ferret out an obscure answer - especially as I was nice
and let you have writers and directors and the like instead of just
actors. If you answered "Colin Baker", "Paul Darrow" or
"Jacqueline Pearce" off the top of your head, you were rightly
punished for your laziness ;). Why Lynda Bellingham is more popular
than, say, Brian Blessed I do not know; and what Helen Blatch is doing
so high up the list is a mystery. Is there an alphabetical list of such
people somewhere?

The * answer was Mat Irvine, which is probably right although I
didn't check it.

If Terry Molloy was in Blake's 7, then IMDB is oddly quiet on the
subject.

[b]7. Name something destroyed or damaged by Nitro 9.[/b]

9 A Dalek (Remembrance)
4 Docking bay doors (Dragonfire)
3 Deodorant cans
3 Wall (Curse of Fenric)
2 Bricks
>>> 1 Stack of Bricks (Remembrance of the Daleks)
1 Ace's art block (referred to in Dragonfire)
1 Ace's rucksack (Silver Nemesis)
1 Cybership (Silver Nemesis)
1 Inscription by lake (Battlefield)
1 Pipe (The Happiness Patrol)
1 Pottery Pigs (referred to in Battlefield)
Wrong
1 The Earth (not damaged)

Ever wondered what the most memorable use of Nitro 9 was? Apparently
it's the destruction of the Dalek in Totters Lane. Iconic for so many
reasons, and featuring in an episode which, for some, marked a
renaissance of Doctor Who, it smote the competition here with a huge 9
votes - almost a third of the field.

The Docking Bay doors in Dragonfire were an unexpected second, and
there were a few more head-scratching rulings further down.

The wall in the underground passage in Fenric was cited (variously
described) by several entrants, and when another entrant offered
"bricks" I marked that as a less specific variant of wall. When I
realised that bricks were also likely to be component parts of the Art
Block, and possibly other things besides, I ruled it a separate answer
entirely, only to revise my thoughts again when another entrant cited a
specific stack of bricks, standing next to - yes, you guessed it, the
Dalek in Totters Lane and clearly "damaged" in the same blast. This
time, I felt justified in describing bricks as a less specific variant
of a certain stack of bricks in a prescribed place.

Finally, different answers referring to the same explosion have been
treated differently (e.g. Ace's Rucksack and Cybership) - otherwise
"Deodorant cans" would have been the worst answer by far! And, no,
The Earth itself was not destroyed, or even "damaged" in any
meaningful way by any of Dorothy McShane's home-made explosives.

The * answer was Tardis, which is wrong.

[b]8. Name anything which appeared in or was referred to the Paul

McGann TV movie which also appeared in or was referred to in a previous
Doctor Who episode. For the purposes of this question, if two things

have the same name, they are assumed to be the same thing.[/b]

3 Gallifrey
>>> 1 Night sky on Gallifrey
3 Skaro
3 Sonic screwdriver
3 Tardis
>>> 1 Tardis doors
2 Doctor's second heart
2 Earth
2 Frankenstein's Monster
1 Ambulance
1 Doctor's shoes
1 Eiffel Tower
1 H G Wells
1 Neutron ram
1 Rassilon *
1 Seventh Doctor
1 Snake
1 Stonehenge
1 Tardis key

Time for my goof of the week. I had in mind fictional things of course
(Eye of Harmony, Tardis key, that sort of thing) but completely omitted
to specify that, letting in such trivialities as Ambulances, Snakes,
Stonehenge and whatnot. Frankenstein's monster should have been a
wrong answer (robot version of in The Chase and movie version of in the
TV Movie) but - with The Eye of Harmony in mind - I had already
specified that if they have the same name they are the same thing.
Despite this, there was a pleasing collision on Gallifrey, the Tardis
and the sonic screwdriver.

"H G Wells" gave me pause. Yes, Herbert George Wells is in Time
Lash and yes, The Doctor is seen reading "The Time Machine" in The
TV Movie, but does a shot of the cover of a book rise to the level of
"appeared or referred to"? I eventually decided that this entrant
got a pass on the basis that "things which have the same name are the
same thing" - the name "H G Wells" certainly appears in the TV
Movie.

[b]9. Name something which the Ninth Doctor described as
"fantastic".[/b]

8 Himself (The Parting of the Ways)
5 Dalek unable to fire (Dalek)
5 Rose * (The Parting of the Ways)
2 Gelth in theatre (The Unquiet Dead)
1 Barcelona (The Parting of the Ways)
1 Children stealing food (The Empty Child)
1 Humans
1 London Eye as Nestene transmitter (Rose)
1 Mobile Phone (Father's Day)
1 Platform One's automated systems (The End of the World)
1 Slitheen ship crashing (World War Three)
Wrong
1 Life (The Parting of the Ways)

And finally, a huge collision on the Ninth Doctor, with his dying
breath, describing himself as "fantastic". Rose and the helpless
Dalek were also popular choices. One entrant pointed out that Eccleston
often says "fantastic" when it's not entirely clear what he is
referring to, but apart from the three just mentioned (all fairly
unambiguous), only one other answer was duplicated so I don't think
the perceived problem applies.

After some thought, I marked "life" wrong, and here's why. The
entrant's answer was just that one word. That means that the Ninth
Doctor must have asserted that Life, life itself, is "fantastic"
otherwise it's a wrong answer. The entrant's supporting information
quoted the Doctor telling Rose to "have a fantastic life", but
it's not Life Itself which is being described there. To get a correct
answer out of that quote, I think you'd need something like "the
life he hopes that Rose will have without him" or some other such
circumlocution. This was not a "Venusian Shanghorn" question where
"a fantastic [BLANK]" is sufficient evidence.

If you think this ruling is in error, consider whether you would have
allowed the answer "people called 'Rose'". If not, why not?

Of course, supporting information does not need to be accurate, and if
anyone else can cite an instance in which the Doctor asserted that Life
Itself was fantastic, I will revise the score.

On that point, I don't remember The Ninth Doctor referring to humans
as "fantastic" but this might have happened in The Parting of the
Ways. Being unable to view the episode until tonight, and having had no
reply to my request for clarification from the entrant, I have
tentatively marked this correct for now. Does anyone have any harder
evidence?

DWRE7 will probably follow early next week, and I think will
(temporarily at least) exhaust my supply of good questions. I have been
writing down questions as they occur to me and so the last two quizzes
were largely compiled from that list. I shall probably rest the quiz
for a while after DWRE7 for that reason - maybe running it monthly
from then on, or whenever enough good questions stack up in my mind.

Many thanks to all who entered.

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

Dave Jones

Aug 25, 2006, 8:18:23 AM8/25/06
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:49:03 +0100, tomsa...@googlemail.com
<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> [b]1. Name a companion who appeared with the First Doctor[/b]
>
> 1 Katarina

That's going to cause arguments, methinks.

> [b]5. Name a character or race of beings who appeared with the Fifth
> Doctor, and who also appeared with at least one earlier Doctor and at
> least one later Doctor.[/b]
>

> 3 Time Lords

Given how more specific variants have been indicated in the other
questions, shouldn't these be the other way around? "Time Lords" is more
specific than "Gallifreyans" as the latter would have to include "Time
Ladies", surely? Not that this would affect my score - I ask purely out of
interest and curiosity.

Dave

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Aug 25, 2006, 8:49:52 AM8/25/06

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:49:03 +0100, tomsa...@googlemail.com
> <tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > [b]1. Name a companion who appeared with the First Doctor[/b]
> >
> > 1 Katarina
>
> That's going to cause arguments, methinks.

It shouldn't. Her companion status is specified in rule 4.2.

> > [b]5. Name a character or race of beings who appeared with the Fifth
> > Doctor, and who also appeared with at least one earlier Doctor and at
> > least one later Doctor.[/b]
> >
> > 3 Time Lords
>
> Given how more specific variants have been indicated in the other
> questions, shouldn't these be the other way around? "Time Lords" is more
> specific than "Gallifreyans" as the latter would have to include "Time
> Ladies", surely? Not that this would affect my score - I ask purely out of
> interest and curiosity.

Er, yes it should - apologies to anyone affected.

Cheers

Tom

The Doctor

Aug 25, 2006, 9:11:34 AM8/25/06
In article <1156504243....@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

I think the SUBSCRIBE mode would be better.

He hit the group reply button.

Not good for newsgroups.

The Doctor

Aug 25, 2006, 9:11:59 AM8/25/06
In article <1156504251.9...@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,

Once will do Bazza.

The Doctor

Aug 25, 2006, 9:12:51 AM8/25/06
In article <1156510192.4...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

The fun of quizzing.

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk

Aug 25, 2006, 10:04:08 AM8/25/06

> The fun of quizzing.
> --
Indeed Dave...I particularly enjoyed this competition this time around.
It's funny how you can spend time racking your brains for a
particularly rare answer - only to discover that everyone else has done
the same (!) - probably all of us thinking we've picked "clever ones" -
and then find that the "easy" answers such as Ian Chesterton (question
about a first doctors companion) slip through the net with a mere one
entrant having submitted it!

It shows that sometimes the more obvious answers will get you a higher
score because everyone has avoided them....but then again that can also
backfire when lazier people keep submitting other obvious ones such as
Daleks and Tardis etc....!!!

Not only does this quiz test your knowledge of the program but also
puts your brain into knots trying to out-guess the answers of the other
contestants! I felt sure I would do well this time but fell foul of the
scenario described above. It's a case of having to perform a triple
bluff sometimes, i.e....

Bessie would be a good answer to the third doctors mode of transport
question...but then EVERYONE will surely think of that so I'll avoid
it....but then again maybe everyone else will ALSO seek to avoid it for
the same reason...so I'll PICK it!

Never-the-less a very fun quiz as always and thanks again to Tom for
compiling it for us. I look forward to number 7!

Baz

bazz...@blueyonder.co.uk

Aug 25, 2006, 11:29:54 AM8/25/06
I had some problems with the scoring on this - particularly the
multiplication of answers and the penalty scores for a wrong answer,
but Tom has put me straight on this off-line.

Thanks for explaining Tom

When are we likely to see the next round of questions posted?

Baz

Stephen Wilson

Aug 25, 2006, 12:06:01 PM8/25/06

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>I don't believe the idiocy of some posters on this group....its just as
>>well that DWRE7 will be an e-mail only quiz.
>>
>>Bazza
>>

> I think the SUBSCRIBE mode would be better.
>
> He hit the group reply button.
>
> Not good for newsgroups.

That's a rather odd statement. If no-one hit the group reply button, there
would be no posts in the group at all.

The Doctor

Aug 25, 2006, 7:44:48 PM8/25/06
In article <1156514648.9...@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,