Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest DWRE9

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Feb 4, 2007, 6:45:57 AM2/4/07
This is the ninth Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest. There are some
minor rule changes from DWRE8 which have been highlighted below.

SHORT RULES

The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions,
your objective is to give an answer that
(1) is correct, and
(2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.

** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE
**

THE QUESTIONS

0. Describe something which would provide evidence for the assertion
that the lead character in the series is called "Doctor Who".

1. An "arrival/departure event" occurs when a companion is seen to
leave the show, or when a new companion is introduced. Name a story
which features exactly one arrival/departure event.

2. Name a computer or robot, or other wholly mechanical or electronic
device, which nevertheless required an actor to provide its voice on
at least one occasion.

3. Name a space-faring - but not time-travelling - craft on which at
least one of the regular characters has been seen to travel.

4. Identify one story which has been published under different names
in two or more different media. "Different names" does not include the
addition of standard phrases such as "Doctor Who and...".

5. Name an award which the programme has won.

6. Name a character who met The Doctor at some time prior to the start
of the first story to feature them.

7. Name a piece of music which we have heard diagetically (in other
words, which was audible to the characters).

8. Name a contributor to Doctor Who whose first contribution was at
least 10 years prior to their most recent contribution. Contributions
are dated by the first BBC broadcast of the episode in question.

9. Name a lethal weapon we have seen which is small enough to be used
by one person with one hand. For the purposes of this question, a
lethal weapon is an object whose principal purpose is the taking of
life.

LONG RULES

In order to participate in the contest, send your answers to me by
email (tomsa...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 19 February
2006. It is of course essential that nobody sees the answers given by
other entrants before the deadline, so please do NOT post your answers
here!

If there are fewer than 10 entrants, I may not bother working out
who's won, so if this sounds like fun, do encourage others to play.

Make sure you have read the rules before submitting your answers.

YOUR ATTENTION IS SPECIFICALLY DRAWN TO RULE 3. Please supply the
information asked for and only the information asked for. If you
supply two answers, I will take the first one. By way of example, in
DWRE2 one question read: "Some regular or recurring characters have
met their identical doubles. Name one of these doubles". Those who
submitted "Romana / Princess Strella" were deemed to have answered
"Romana" (the first of two answers given) and this was marked wrong,
since I asked for the name of the double, not the name of the regular
character. You have been warned.

1. Answers
For each of the questions above, your objective is to give an answer
that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people
as possible. Feel free to use any reference material you like to
RESEARCH your answers; but when you have found enough possible answers
for your liking, you are expected to choose on your own which one to
submit, WITHOUT mechanical or computer assistance: this is meant to be
a game of wits.

2. Scoring
The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a
final score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If
your answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

2.1 More Specific Variants
On some questions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer
that is a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else. In
that case the more specific variant will usually be scored as if the
two answers are different, but the other, less specific variant will
be scored as if they are the same.

2.2 Scoring Example
Say I ask for someone the Doctor has kissed. There are 27 entrants: 19
say "Rose" or "Rose Tyler", 2 say "Cassandra in the body of Rose
Tyler", 4 say "Captain Jack", 1 says "Daphne Ashbrook" and 1 says
"Lynda Moss". The 4 people who answered "Captain Jack" get 4 points
each. Since "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" is a more specific
variant of "Rose Tyler", those who said "Rose Tyler" get 21 points
each, and those who said "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" get 2
points each. The Doctor never kissed actress Daphne Ashbrook (although
he may have kissed Grace Holloway) nor Lynda Moss, so those answers
are both wrong. The persons who gave them both get the penalty score,
which is the median of:
- number of entrants = 27:
- sqrt(27) = 5.196+, rounded up = 6:
- double the most popular answer's count = 21 x 2 = 42:
or in this case, 27.

3. Entries
Entries must be emailed to me personally by email:
tomsa...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the forum! In
general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization,
English usage, or other such matters of form. Sometimes a specific
question may imply stricter rules, though. And if you give an answer
that properly refers to a different thing related to the one you
intended, I will normally take it as written. Once you intentionally
submit an answer, no changes will be allowed, unless I decide there
was a problem with the question. Similarly, alternate answers within
an entry will not be accepted. Only the first answer that you
intentionally submit counts. You can expect an acknowledgement when I
read your entry. If this bounces, it won't be sent again.

3.1 Clarifications
Questions are not intended to be hard to understand, but I may fail in
this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity could only be
provided by an example which would suggest one or another specific
answer, and I mustn't do that.) In order to be fair to all entrants, I
must insist that requests for clarification must be emailed to me, NOT
POSTED in any mailing list. But if you do ask for clarification, I'll
probably say that the question is clear enough as posted. If I do
decide to clarify or change a question, all entrants will be
informed.

3.2 Supporting Information
It is your option whether or not to provide supporting information to
justify your answers. If you don't, I'll email you to ask for it if I
need to. If you provide any explanatory remarks along with your
answers, you are responsible for making it sufficiently clear that
they are not part of the answers. The particular format doesn't matter
as long as you're clear.

4. Scope
Unless a question indicates otherwise, all questions refer to the
transmitted episodes of the BBC television series "Doctor Who" in its
original run from 1963 to 1989, the TV Movie of 1996 and the current
series which began in 2005. Only episodes transmitted at the time of
posting are included, and all other Doctor Who related works are
excluded. This excludes audio plays, comic strips, spin-offs,
TARDISodes, novelisations and probably more.

4.1 "Story" refers to one or more episodes, generally with the same
production code, writer and director, which tell a complete tale. For
the avoidance of doubt, the list of stories with their correct names
is taken to be the list presented on the Outpost Gallifrey Episode
Guide (http://www.gallifreyone.com/epguide.php), with the exceptions
that "Children in Need Special" and any stories listed under "Other
Stories" are excluded. "The Trial of a Time Lord" is considered to be
an honorary story title, as are the individual episode titles for
modern two-parters (which are generally referred to by both episode
titles, thus: "The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances").

Anything which is seen only in the "Previously on..." or "Next week
on..." segments of the 2005- series is not deemed to be part of that
episode. Any other flashbacks, recaps or the like are deemed to be
part of that episode.

RULE CHANGE 4.2 "Companion" refers to anyone who accompanied the
Doctor for two or more consecutive stories. For the avoidance of
doubt, the following all have companion status: Katarina, Sara
Kingdom, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Adam, Captain Jack, Mickey,
Donna. No other UNIT soldiers have companion status (Harry Sullivan,
Liz Shaw and Jo Grant obviously are companions).

4.3 "Appears" or "Seen" mean seen on-screen, as opposed to merely
referred to in dialogue or implied. If a character is clearly heard to
speak, then they, and the actor who played them, are deemed to have
"appeared" regardless of whether we see them or not. "Appears with"
means that the two characters featured at least once in the same
scene, with the exception that a character who appears in a scene only
in "flashback" footage shot for a previous episode is not deemed to
have "appeared with" any other characters in the scene.

4.4 "Alien" means not originating from the planet Earth. In the
absence of other clear evidence, a character is considered a member of
an alien race if they do not look entirely human, or if despite
looking human, their planet of birth is not Earth and they are not
referred to as human (or it can be shown that they are not accurately
referred to as human).

4.5 "Actor" includes both male and female performers, but excludes
stunt-people, stand-ins doubling for a credited actor etc. unless the
question indicates otherwise. Generally a performer who does not
receive a credit is not regarded as an actor.

4.6 Incarnations. Unless otherwise specified, different incarnations
of the same character are the same character and will be treated as
equivalent answers, and equivalent to specifying that character
without reference to incarnation. In other words, "Romana", "Romana I"
and "Romana II" are all the same answer.

NEW RULE 4.7 The term "terrestrial" relating to television channels
should be taken to refer to BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and five and
no other channels, regardless of the method of transmission.

5. Judging
As moderator, I will be the sole judge of what answers are correct,
and whether two answers with similar meaning are considered the same,
different, or more/less specific variants. I will do my best to be
fair on all such issues, but sometimes it is necessary to be
arbitrary. I may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a serious
error and it affects the high finishers.

6. Results
Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
reasons.

Good luck!

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@gmail.com

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Feb 9, 2007, 4:26:47 PM2/9/07
Just 23 entries, but DWRE10 would have had to wait a while in any case
since my schedule is crazy for the next few weeks. Of these, the
mighty WILF returned triumphant, with regular competitors Solar
Penguin and HolmesBaker not too far behind. Here are their answer
slates.

WILF SOLAR PENGUIN
HOLMESBAKER
0 Next episode caption Programme title no ? Doctor von Wer
1 The Savages The Savages Resurrection/
Daleks
2 Tannoy on Lazar Ship Wotan The
Oracle
3 The Nosferatu 2 Recovery 7 SS
Shadow
4 Dalek Invasion Earth Terror of the Zygons The Web
Planet
5 The Best New Titles Most Popular Drama Hugo Award
6 Hallett Morgaine
Padmasambhava
7 The First Noel Un bel dì vedremo aria Ticket to
Ride
8 Edwin Richfield Colin Spaul Wendy
Padbury
9 Orcini's flick-knife Kal's Knife Impulse
Laser

To review the scoring:

The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a
final score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If
your answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

Here is the complete table of scores.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1 8 Wilf 1 2 1 2 1 1 2 1 1 1
2 48 Solar Penguin 1 2 2 3 2 2 1 1 1 1
3 96 HolmesBaker 4 2 1 1 2 3 1 1 1 2
4 160 A Marshall 5 1 WR 2 1 2 1 1 1 1
5 384 Aloysius 4 1 1 2 2 4 1 WR 1 1
6 480 Alomiakoda 5 1 1 WR 1 WR 1 1 1 2
7 512 Fortmap 4 WR 2 1 4 1 2 1 1 1
8 672 John Dorney 2 1 1 1 2 1 3 2 4 7
9 2,240 Yohinnchild 5 4 2 2 2 1 1 1 2 7
10 2,304 Ed Jolley 4 4 2 1 2 3 3 1 4 1
11 3,072 NathantheWhovian 4 WR 1 2 2 3 1 1 WR 1
12 4,608 Jonathan Morris 1 1 2 WR 4 4 WR 1 2 2
13 5,376 The Magic Wanderer 4 3 WR 1 4 1 2 1 1 7
= 5,376 PaulBArthur 1 3 WR 1 2 4 2 2 1 7
15 8,064 Doyle 3 4 4 1 2 3 2 2 1 7
16 10,080 Gazza Innit 5 2 2 2 1 3 1 WR 2 7
17 13,824 Andrew Wiggins 3 2 4 3 WR 3 1 2 2 2
= 13,824 Ged Sweeney 4 WR 4 3 1 1 3 WR 1 2
19 20,736 Artyclarty 3 3 WR 3 2 3 1 2 4 2
20 55,296 Luke Curtis 4 2 4 3 WR 3 1 WR 4 1
21 122,880 JCCMMBailey WR WR 1 2 4 4 WR 1 WR 1
22 241,920 Chriskelk 5 4 WR 3 2 3 WR 2 1 7
23 327,680 Chicken Man WR WR WR 2 2 WR 2 1 WR 1

Here is the complete list of answers given. Each list shows correct
answers in the order worst to best (most to least popular). >>>
indicates that the "more specific variant" scoring was used.

0. Describe something which would provide evidence for the assertion
that the lead character in the series is called "Doctor Who".

5 Wotan calls him Doctor Who
4 Calls himself Doctor von Wer
4 Signs himself Dr W
3 Doctors 1-4 credited as Doctor Who
2 Programme title
>>> 1 Programme title has no question mark
1 Doctor Who will return at Chrismas *in* The Runaway Bride
1 Next episode caption Doctor Who and the Savages
1 The story title Doctor Who and the Silurians
Wrong
1 The TV comic strips
1 Earth delegate asks "Doctor Who?"

I thought there were a lot more options than this, although I was
gratified to see that Target books were never mentioned, despite the
care I took to plant the idea in a later question. Doctor W, Doctor
von Wer and Wotan were vying for the most popular answer all the way
through, with Wotan finally emerging triumphant. Only a couple of
people zeroed in on individual stories, whereas I fully expected the
entrants who gave the credit for the lead actor to be further
penalized under MSV scoring when others submitted "Tom Baker credited
as Doctor Who in The Stones of Blood" for example.

Merely citing the TV comic strips I didn't feel was evidence of
anything, and was out of scope under rule 4 anyway. People asking
"Doctor Who?" are asserting that they don't know his last name, not
that his last name is "Who".

My favourite answer was the observation that the programme title has
no question mark. It is not therefore asking "Doctor who?" but telling
us "Doctor Who". Nice one.

1. An "arrival/departure event" occurs when a companion is seen to
leave the show, or when a new companion is introduced. Name a story
which features exactly one arrival/departure event.

4 Terminus (Nyssa leaves)
3 The Face of Evil (Leela joins)
2 Resurrection of the Daleks (Tegan leaves)
2 The Massacre (Dodo joins)
2 The Savages (Steven leaves)
1 Dalek Invasion of Earth (Susan leaves)
1 Robot (Harry Sullivan arrives)
1 Terror of the Zygons (Harry leaves)
1 The Ribos Operation (Romana joins)
1 The Wheel in Space (Zoe joins)
Wrong
2 The Myth Makers (Vicki leaves AND Katarina joins)
1 Terror of the Vervoids (Mel not seen to join)
1 The Web of Fear (Lethbridge Stewart not seen to join)
1 Time Flight (nobody in fact leaves the show)

This was a difficult one to phrase, but I think the wording I settled
on was unambiguous. Certainly no-one queried it by email. The question
centres on characters who are "seen to leave/join" the regular cast.
To fulfill this requirement, two things must happen. Firstly a
character must actually join or leave the regular cast. Secondly, we
must see this take place.

Hence, in Terror of the Vervoids - or whatever you please to call
episodes 9-12 of The Trial of a Time Lord - we do not see Mel join.
She's already there. And since Lethbridge-Stewart does not feature in
the story which follows The Web of Fear, he didn't join the regular
cast in that story. Conversely, Tegan is in the story which follows
Time Flight, so we did not in fact see her leave the show, despite
appearances at the time.

I can only assume that those who picked the Myth Makers couldn't count
or didn't read the question. One entrant even spelled out that Vicki
leaves and Katarina joins for me. That's exactly two arrival/departure
events, then, isn't it?

Nice to see I'm not the only Nyssa fan out there. Ahh... Terminus.
Made a big impression on me too, at about 12 years old. Mmm... I'm
sorry, where was I?

2. Name a computer or robot, or other wholly mechanical or electronic
device, which nevertheless required an actor to provide its voice on
at least one occasion.

4 BOSS (The Green Death)
2 Kamelion
2 Sentinel Six (Warriors of the Deep)
2 Wotan (The War Machines)
1 Agella (Destiny of the Daleks)
1 Drathro (The Mysterious Planet)
1 K9 Mark IV
1 SV7 (Robots of Death)
1 Station Computer (The Two Doctors)
1 Tannoy on Lazar Ship (Terminus)
1 The Oracle (Underworld)
Wrong
3 Mechanoid (does not identify one computer/robot)
2 K9 (does not identify one computer/robot)
1 The Megara (does not identify one computer/robot)

BOSS wins easily, but clearly multiple entities cannot be "a computer
or robot". At least those who picked Mechanoids can comfort themselves
with the thought that it was a lousy answer anyway!

I would have thought Robots of Death would feature more highly, and
maybe Destiny of the Daleks.

3. Name a space-faring - but not time-travelling - craft on which at
least one of the regular characters has been seen to travel.

3 Recovery 7 (The Ambassadors of Death)
3 The Hyperion III (Terror of the Vervoids)
2 Liz79 (The Space Pirates)
2 R1C (Underworld)
2 The Buccaneer (Enlightenment)
2 The Nosferatu 2 (Dragonfire)
1 C982 (Frontier in Space)
1 Morestran Probe
1 SS Shadow (Enlightenment)
1 The Empress
1 The Hecate (Nightmare of Eden)
1 The Silver Carrier (The Wheel in Space)
1 The Wheel (in Space)
Wrong
1 Nostalgia Trips coach (time-traveller)
1 RIE
1 The ship in Four to Doomsday (not named)

Hyperion III clearly sticks in the mind (dear god, why?) as does the
Recovery 7. Once again, you need to avoid nameless ships. And don't
forget that the Nostalgia Trips coach (also unnamed, now I come to
think about it) was "going all the way back to good old 1955".

There is no clear evidence that the various ships in Enlightenment are
capable of time travel, so these answers are correct.

4. Identify one story which has been published under different names
in two or more different media. "Different names" does not include the
addition of standard phrases such as "Doctor Who and..."

4 Invasion of the Dinosaurs (aka Doctor Who and the Dinosaur
Invasion)
2 An Unearthly Child (aka Doctor Who: The Tribe of Gum - Titan
script book)
2 Colony in Space (aka Doctor Who and the Doomsday Weapon)
2 Frontier in Space (aka Doctor Who and the Space War)
2 Terror of the Zygons (aka The Loch Ness Monster)
2 The Silurians (aka Doctor Who and the Cave Monsters)
2 The Web Planet (aka Doctor Who and the Zarbi)
1 The Abominable Snowmen (aka Doctor Who and the Yeti)
1 The Crusade (aka Doctor Who and the Crusaders)
1 The Dalek Invasion of Earth (aka Kampf um die Erde)
1 The Daleks (aka Doctor Who In An Amazing Adventure With The
Daleks)
1 The Moonbase (aka Doctor Who and the Cybermen)
Wrong
2 The Daleks Master Plan (no one book accounts for whole story)

Several people gave right answers here for wrong reasons. An Unearthly
Child has never been published as "100,000 BC" but the Titan script
book did bear the name "The Tribe of Gum". This was in the dark days
when DWM had us believe that the early stories had "true" names such
as the appalling "The Massacre of St Bartholemew's Eve" and not merely
commonly accepted names. Names are what we call things. Everybody
calls the clock tower at Westminster "Big Ben". If you point out that
only the bell is called that, you deserve a punch in the face. Rant
over.

Similarly, it is irrelevant that the first episode of Invasion of the
Dinosaurs was just called "The Invasion". What does make this a right
answer is the name of the Target book.

Daleks Master Plan was a real headscratcher. There is no one book
which encompasses The Daleks Master Plan, so I don't think it makes
sense to say that it was published under an alternative title. It
wasn't. One half was published as Mission to the Unknown and the other
as The Invasion of Time. Clearly neither of these two on their own
qualifies as "publishing" The Daleks Master Plan, and the two together
have no official title, so I think this one is wrong.

5. Name an award which the programme has won.

4 Best Popular Drama - BBC Auntie Awards
3 Best Photography Direction, BAFTA Cyrmu
3 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation
3 Writers Guild of Great Britain Award Best Children's Drama Script
1975
2 Most Popular Drama (NTA 2006)
1 1978 BAFTA Rediffusion Star Award "Harlequin" Childrens' Drama/
Light Entertainment
1 Best Costume, BAFTA Cymru 2006
1 The Best New Title Sequence Award, Cult TV Festival
1 BBC TV60 Award
1 Best Actor Heat Readers Award
1 Best Drama Series (NTA 2005)
Wrong
1 Best Program NTA 2005 (no such award)
1 Longest running sci-fi series in Guinness Book of Records (not an
award)

BAFTA Cymru was suitably crafty, but you needed to go for Costumes and
not Photography. The question was also designed to steer you towards
recent awards, which the programme has been stacking up, and so going
further back was usually a winning strategy.

The National Television Awards do not have a "Best Program" prize as
far as I can see, and an entry in the Guinness Book of Records may be
an accolade but it isn't an award as far as I'm concerned.

6. Name a character who met The Doctor at some time prior to the start
of the first story to feature them.

3 Commodore Travers
2 Dastari
2 Hallett
2 Runcible
1 Azmael
1 Drax
1 K'Anpo Rimpoche
1 Morgaine
1 Padmasambhava
1 The Keeper
1 The Master
1 The Rani
1 Toymaker
1 Xoanon
1 Zastor (Meglos)
Wrong
1 Commander Lytton (met the Doctor for the first time in
Resurrection of the Daleks)
1 Leonardo da Vinci (not a character)
1 Megelen (not one character)

Lots of choice here, and I tended to be lenient with the arguable
cases: The Rani, The Keeper etc. However, I'm pretty sure that Lytton
was a stranger to The Doctor when Resurrection of the Daleks began.
The Megelen are not a single character and Leonardo da Vinci, although
endlessly discussed in City of Death, does not actually appear and so
is not a Doctor Who character.

7. Name a piece of music which we have heard diagetically (in other
words, which was audible to the characters).

2 Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick (Tooth and Claw)
2 Paperback Writer (The Chase)
2 Tainted Love (The End of the World)
1 A Taste of Honey (Remembrance of the Daleks)
1 A Whiter Shade of Pale (Revelation of the Daleks)
1 As Time Goes By (The Happiness Patrol)
1 Do You Want To Know A Secret? (Remembrance)
1 La donna è mobile (Inferno)
1 Merry Christmas Everybody (The Christmas Invasion)
1 Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen (Evil of the Daleks)
1 Teddy Bears Picnic (The Invasion)
1 The Charleston (Black Orchid)
1 The First Noel (The Feast of Steven)
1 Ticket to Ride (The Chase)
1 Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Attack of the Cybermen)
1 Un bel dì vedremo aria from Madame Butterfly
Wrong
3 Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon (not heard by characters)
1 Harp tune in The Five Doctors (not named)

Plenty of choice here, but I'm ruling against The Ballad of the Last
Chance Saloon. I haven't seen The Gunfighters for years, but I'm
pretty certain that this serves as linking narration only, and so
exists outside the world of the story, like the theme music or the
incidentals.

On the other hand, you were allowed snatches of pieces of music, and
the Doctor's singing as well as full recordings.

No Toxic. Wilf?

8. Name a contributor to Doctor Who whose first contribution was at
least 10 years prior to their most recent contribution. Contributions
are dated by the first BBC broadcast of the episode in question.

4 Jacqueline Hill (1963-1980)
2 Barry Letts (1968-1981)
2 Graeme Harper (1984-2006)
1 Colin Spaul (1985-2006)
1 Dudley Simpson (1964-1980)
1 Edwin Richfield (1972-1984)
1 Gabriel Woolf (1975-2006)
1 Louis Marks (1964-1976)
1 Michael Atwell (1967-1985)
1 Patrick Troughton (1966-1985)
1 Pauline Collins (1968-2006)
1 Terrance Dicks (1969-1983)
1 Terry Nation (1963-1977)
1 Wendy Padbury (1968-1983)
1 William Thomas (1988-2005)
Wrong
1 Alec Wheal (1979-1988)
1 Christopher H Bidmead (CDs and future releases don't count)
1 John Lucarotti (No credit on Ark in Space)

Again, plenty of choice but Jacqueline Hill's return appearance in
Meglos is clearly very fondly remembered. Most went for actors or
writers, but several people worked their way slowly up the production
team ranks. John Nathan-Turner I would have thought was obvious - too
obvious maybe.

The entrant who proposed Alec Wheal provided no corroborating
information and IMDB only showed a nine year span. The entrant who
proposed Bidmead hoped that a forthcoming Big Finish CD would do the
trick and was therefore wrong on two counts, and John Lucarotti
received no credit on The Ark in Space, the implication being that
Holmes wrote the script from scratch and that therefore Lucarotti did
not "contribute" anything to it.

9. Name a lethal weapon we have seen which is small enough to be used
by one person with one hand. For the purposes of this question, a
lethal weapon is an object whose principal purpose is the taking of
life.

7 Janis Thorn
2 Brigadier's gun
2 Impulse Laser
2 TCE
1 Dalek Gun
1 Grenades
1 Kal's Knife
1 Leela's knife
1 Maser
1 Orcini's flick-knife
1 Raston spears
1 Scorpion venom (Talons of Weng-Chiang)
1 Shield gun (Underworld)
1 Sonic blaster

"Brigadier's pistol" and "Brigadier's revolver" I eventually decided
were equivalent answers (Brigadier's gun). The entrant who proposed
"scorpion venom" nearly had me mark it wrong since that is a
substance, not an object. But since Weng-Chiang was specified, I took
it to mean the capsule swallowed in (I think) episode 1, which
certainly qualifies. No-one was silly enough the venture "knife" but
we got a huge collision on Janis Thorns instead.

That wraps up DWRE9. DWRE10 might appear in the spring.

Thanks to all who entered.

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@gmail.com

Pete Morris

Mar 3, 2007, 10:06:42 AM3/3/07

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> This is the ninth Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest. There are some
> minor rule changes from DWRE8 which have been highlighted below.

Tom, I sent in an entry to this compo, but I don't appear on the results.

didn't you get it ? It's definitely in my "sent items" folder.

Have I offended you in some way, and you've blocked my messages?