7 Keys to Doomsday in New Zealand...

4 views
Skip to first unread message

Dave Muirhead

unread,
Sep 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/20/00
to
I've recently found out that 1974 stage play with Trevor Martin was
re-enacted in New Zealand in 1984.
Don't know who the cast where or where the Dalek props came from, and can't
seem to find any information about the play at all on the Net apart from the
that fact that it was put on at the Porirua Little Theatre between November
and December of that year, and was directed by Brian Hudson and Dorothy
Warner, and used the original Terrance Dicks script.
Any of you New Zealand fans see this?
Even better do you have any pics or any more info?
Many thanks...

D

Alden Bates

unread,
Sep 22, 2000, 2:02:02 AM9/22/00
to
"Paul Scoones" <pa...@flyingpig.co.nz> wrote:

>Dave Muirhead <dave_m...@lineone.net> wrote in message
>news:8qbcdn$qla$1...@supernews.com...

>This is the first I've heard of it, though it should be fairly easy to
>check, by going back to the relevant newspapers. I was a big fan of the
>series even back in 1984, and such a thing would have stuck in my memory if
>I'd heard about it!

I have a newspaper clipping somewhere with a picture of two Dalek
props scooting around Wellington, with accompanying story.

Here t'is:

Commuters familiar with the "Dr Who" television series may have
thought the Daleks had returned to take over the world (or at least
Wellington) when they saw these two robots outside the Railway Station
today.

The nasty aliens were scooting about the station's front concourse.
Closer inspection by the curious would have shown that the Daleks were
nothing more than converted lampshades, bits of welding rod, and
carddboard and string.
(They had the BBC's budget then? ;)

The Daleks stand about 2.5m high and are the creation of Porirua
Little Theatre. Three of the creatures have important parts to play
in the theatre's latest production, "Seven Keys to Doomsday."

Director Brian Hudson said the Daleks had taken about six weeks to
make. They have a seat inside for the actors who peddle them around
like a scooter.

The Daleks apparently have quite a few lines in the play, many of them
featuring the word "Dr Who" fans will remember - "exterminate."

That's from the Evening Post, 22 November 1984

Alden.
--
__ _ _ __
/. | |_| | .\ Alden Bates | http://www.tetrap.com/
/ | _ | .<-------------====================---------------------
/_/|_|_| |_|__/ Tetrapyriarbus, the web site sanity forgot

Paul Scoones

unread,
Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
to

Dave Muirhead <dave_m...@lineone.net> wrote in message
news:8qbcdn$qla$1...@supernews.com...
> I've recently found out that 1974 stage play with Trevor Martin was
> re-enacted in New Zealand in 1984.
> Don't know who the cast where or where the Dalek props came from, and
can't
> seem to find any information about the play at all on the Net apart from
the
> that fact that it was put on at the Porirua Little Theatre between
November
> and December of that year, and was directed by Brian Hudson and Dorothy
> Warner, and used the original Terrance Dicks script.
> Any of you New Zealand fans see this?
> Even better do you have any pics or any more info?
> Many thanks...
>
> D

This is the first I've heard of it, though it should be fairly easy to
check, by going back to the relevant newspapers. I was a big fan of the
series even back in 1984, and such a thing would have stuck in my memory if
I'd heard about it!

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Scoones
President, New Zealand Doctor Who Fan Club
sco...@nznet.gen.nz

Gavin Winters

unread,
Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
to

Alden Bates <melde...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a newspaper clipping somewhere with a picture of two Dalek
> props scooting around Wellington, with accompanying story.
>
> Here t'is:

(snip)

> The Daleks stand about 2.5m high and are the creation of Porirua
> Little Theatre.

Bloody hell, those are some tall Daleks....

--
"But you have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe!"
"Well...I do talk to myself sometimes, yes..."

Alden Bates

unread,
Sep 22, 2000, 10:13:58 PM9/22/00
to
"Gavin Winters" <gav...@esatclear.ie> wrote:

>Alden Bates <melde...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> The Daleks stand about 2.5m high and are the creation of Porirua
>> Little Theatre.
>

>Bloody hell, those are some tall Daleks....

I presume the operators weren't regulation Dalek operator height....

Wouldn't like to try to get one of those through a doorway. ;)

Alden Bates

unread,
Sep 23, 2000, 1:13:22 AM9/23/00
to
Alden Bates <melde...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a newspaper clipping somewhere with a picture of two Dalek
>props scooting around Wellington, with accompanying story.

http://www.tetrap.com/drwho/gfx/seven.jpg

Sorry, it's been glue to a piece of cardboard, scribbled on, and had
holes punched in it.

Dave Muirhead

unread,
Sep 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/23/00
to
Alden...

Thanks a bunch for posting the picture...
While the Daleks look a bit odd (okay...very odd!), it certainly confirms
what I've heard about the production. Do you mind if I post this picture on
my site?
Wonder who played the Doctor?

Dave

Perry Armstrong

unread,
Sep 23, 2000, 7:05:54 PM9/23/00
to

Alden Bates wrote:

> Alden Bates <melde...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a newspaper clipping somewhere with a picture of two Dalek
> >props scooting around Wellington, with accompanying story.
>
> http://www.tetrap.com/drwho/gfx/seven.jpg
>
> Sorry, it's been glue to a piece of cardboard, scribbled on, and had
> holes punched in it.

No need to apologise for the scan, Alden. It wasn't nearly as bad as I
thought it was going to be (from your description). Many thanks for
letting us have a look.

I'm kicking myself now, as I was working in Wellington around 1984 and
was completely unaware of this production. Even with the crap Daleks I'd
have loved to have seen it. Doh!

Perry Armstrong.

Alden Bates

unread,
Sep 23, 2000, 10:35:16 PM9/23/00
to
"Dave Muirhead" <dave_m...@lineone.net> wrote:

>Thanks a bunch for posting the picture...
>While the Daleks look a bit odd (okay...very odd!), it certainly confirms
>what I've heard about the production. Do you mind if I post this picture on
>my site?

Sure, go ahead.

>Wonder who played the Doctor?

Hmm, I'm just looking through my box of newspaper clippings...
(Interesting piece there saying the seventh Doctor is "Sylvester
McKay"... another one claiming the longest serving Doctor was "David
Baker"...)

I have a second picture of what looks like one of the Daleks... it's
looking rather dilapidated with most of the domes gone - the picture
was take more recently, about the time when NZ had the referendum of
whether to change the voting system. Nothing to do with the play,
alas, but it shows a Dalek with a human...

http://www.tetrap.com/drwho/gfx/dalek1.jpg

Unfortunately I can find no other articles about the play itself.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages