Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest DWRE8

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jan 11, 2007, 12:19:56 PM1/11/07
This is the eighth Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest. The rules are
unchanged from DWRE7.

SHORT RULES

The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
objective is to give an answer that

(1) is correct, and
(2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.

** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

0. Give a surname shared by two or more characters (whether or not they
happen to be related). Where characters are given only one name, that
is assumed to be a first name and not a surname.
1. Give a word which appears before the word "particle" or the word
"energy" to describe a fictional phenomenon in the Doctor Who
universe.
2. Name a Doctor Who episode which, on its first UK transmission,
gained ratings of 10million viewers or more.
3. Name a character who is killed directly as a result of The
Doctor's actions.
4. Describe a piece of information given during an episode of Doctor
Who (by any means) which appears to contradict information given in a
previously-broadcast episode, and which contradiction is not resolved
within that story.
5. Name a person who has been credited as writer on more than four
professional, authorised Doctor Who stories in other mediums, but who
has never been credited as writer on a television episode of Doctor
Who.
6. Name a character who appears onscreen in at least one episode, and
is mentioned but does not appear in at least one other.
7. Name a person who has been credited in more than one capacity on
episodes of Doctor Who, and who has been credited at least once as
either writer or director. For the purposes of this question, writer
and script / story editor should be regarded as synonymous.
8. Name a story which was repeated on BBC terrestrial television in a
different version to its first broadcast.
9. Name a story which has one or more missing episodes. (An episode is
missing if the majority of the footage is not known to exist. Quality
of footage known to exist is not a factor.)

LONG RULES

In order to participate in the contest, send your answers to me by
email (tomsa...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 19 January
2007. It is of course essential that nobody sees the answers given by
other entrants before the deadline, so please do NOT post your answers
here!

If there are fewer than 10 entrants, I may not bother working out who's
won, so if this sounds like fun, do encourage others to play.

Make sure you have read the rules before submitting your answers.

YOUR ATTENTION IS SPECIFICALLY DRAWN TO RULE 3. Please supply the
information asked for and only the information asked for. If you supply
two answers, I will take the first one. By way of example, in DWRE2 one
question read: "Some regular or recurring characters have met their
identical doubles. Name one of these doubles". Those who submitted
"Romana / Princess Strella" were deemed to have answered
"Romana" (the first of two answers given) and this was marked
wrong, since I asked for the name of the double, not the name of the
regular character. You have been warned.

1. Answers
For each of the questions above, your objective is to give an answer
that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people
as possible. Feel free to use any reference material you like to
RESEARCH your answers; but when you have found enough possible answers
for your liking, you are expected to choose on your own which one to
submit, WITHOUT mechanical or computer assistance: this is meant to be
a game of wits.

2. Scoring
The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

2.1 More Specific Variants
On some questions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer
that is a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else. In
that case the more specific variant will usually be scored as if the
two answers are different, but the other, less specific variant will be
scored as if they are the same.

2.2 Scoring Example
Say I ask for someone the Doctor has kissed. There are 27 entrants: 19
say "Rose" or "Rose Tyler", 2 say "Cassandra in the body of Rose
Tyler", 4 say "Captain Jack", 1 says "Daphne Ashbrook" and 1 says
"Lynda Moss". The 4 people who answered "Captain Jack" get 4 points
each. Since "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" is a more specific
variant of "Rose Tyler", those who said "Rose Tyler" get 21 points
each, and those who said "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" get 2
points each. The Doctor never kissed actress Daphne Ashbrook (although
he may have kissed Grace Holloway) nor Lynda Moss, so those answers are
both wrong. The persons who gave them both get the penalty score, which
is the median of:
- number of entrants = 27:
- sqrt(27) = 5.196+, rounded up = 6:
- double the most popular answer's count = 21 x 2 = 42:
or in this case, 27.

3. Entries
Entries must be emailed to me personally by email:
tomsa...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the the forum!
In general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization,
English usage, or other such matters of form. Sometimes a specific
question may imply stricter rules, though. And if you give an answer
that properly refers to a different thing related to the one you
intended, I will normally take it as written. Once you intentionally
submit an answer, no changes will be allowed, unless I decide there was
a problem with the question. Similarly, alternate answers within an
entry will not be accepted. Only the first answer that you
intentionally submit counts.

3.1 Clarifications
Questions are not intended to be hard to understand, but I may fail in
this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity could only be
provided by an example which would suggest one or another specific
answer, and I mustn't do that.) In order to be fair to all entrants, I
must insist that requests for clarification must be emailed to me, NOT
POSTED in any mailing list. But if you do ask for clarification, I'll
probably say that the question is clear enough as posted. If I do
decide to clarify or change a question, all entrants will be informed.

3.2 Supporting Information
It is your option whether or not to provide supporting information to
justify your answers. If you don't, I'll email you to ask for it if I
need to. If you provide any explanatory remarks along with your
answers, you are responsible for making it sufficiently clear that they
are not part of the answers. The particular format doesn't matter as
long as you're clear.

4. Scope
Unless a question indicates otherwise, all questions refer to the
transmitted episodes of the BBC television series "Doctor Who" in its
original run from 1963 to 1989, the TV Movie of 1996 and the current
series which began in 2005. Only episodes transmitted at the time of
posting (in this case 11 January 2007) are included, and all other
Doctor Who related works are excluded. This excludes audio plays, comic
strips, spin-offs, TARDISodes, novelisations and probably more.

4.1 "Story" refers to one or more episodes, generally with the same
production code, writer and director, which tell a complete tale. For
the avoidance of doubt, the list of stories with their correct names is
taken to be the list presented on the Outpost Gallifrey Episode Guide,
with the exceptions that "Children in Need Special" and any stories
listed under "Other Stories" are excluded. "The Trial of a Time
Lord" is considered to be an honorary story title, as are the
individual episode titles for modern two-parters (which are generally
referred to by both episode titles, thus: "The Empty Child / The
Doctor Dances").

Anything which is seen only in the "Previously on..." or "Next
week on..." segments of the 2005- series is not deemed to be part of
that story. Any other flashbacks, recaps or the like are deemed to be
part of that story.

4.2 "Companion" refers to anyone who travelled with the Doctor for two
or more consecutive episodes. For the avoidance of doubt, the following
all have honorary companion status: Katarina, Sara Kingdom, Brigadier
Lethbridge-Stewart, Adam, Captain Jack, Mickey. No other UNIT soldiers
have companion status (Harry Sullivan and Jo Grant obviously are
companions).

4.3 "Appears" or "Seen" mean seen on-screen, as opposed to merely
referred to in dialogue or implied. If a character is clearly heard to
speak, then they, and the actor who played them, are deemed to have
"appeared" regardless of whether we see them or not. "Appears with"
means that the two characters featured at least once in the same scene,
with the exception that a character who appears in a scene only in
"flashback" footage shot for a previous episode is not deemed to
have "appeared with" any other characters in the scene.

4.4 "Alien" means not originating from the planet Earth. In the absence
of other clear evidence, a character is considered a member of an alien
race if they do not look entirely human, or if despite looking human,
their planet of birth is not Earth and they are not referred to as
human (or it can be shown that they are not accurately referred to as
human).

4.5 "Actor" includes both male and female performers, but excludes
stunt-people, stand-ins doubling for a credited actor etc. unless the
question indicates otherwise. Generally a performer who does not
receive a credit is not regarded as an actor.

4.6 Unless otherwise specified, different incarnations of the same
character are the same character and will be treated as equivalent
answers, and equivalent to specifying that character without reference
to incarnation. In other words, "Romana", "Romana I" and
"Romana II" are all the same answer.

5. Judging
As moderator, I will be the sole judge of what answers are correct, and
whether two answers with similar meaning are considered the same,
different, or more/less specific variants. I will do my best to be fair
on all such issues, but sometimes it is necessary to be arbitrary. I
may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a serious error and it
affects the high finishers.

6. Results
Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
reasons.

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

Peter Morris

Jan 11, 2007, 7:26:33 PM1/11/07

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> This is the eighth Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest. The rules are
> unchanged from DWRE7.
>
> SHORT RULES
>
> The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
> objective is to give an answer that
>
> (1) is correct, and
> (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.
>
> ** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

Nice ... but I thought you decided you'd send the quiz out by email next
time

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jan 19, 2007, 7:18:09 PM1/19/07
Due to popular demand, the deadline has been put off by a further week.
The contest will close at noon on Friday 26 January.

Cheers

Tom

Dave Jones

Jan 20, 2007, 4:15:13 AM1/20/07
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 00:18:09 -0000, tomsa...@googlemail.com
<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Due to popular demand, the deadline has been put off by a further week.
> The contest will close at noon on Friday 26 January.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom
>
> tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:

Arse. I deleted my answers yesterday afternoon because I realised I was
past the deadline anyway. Oh well, time to recreate. *sigh*

Dave

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jan 24, 2007, 7:54:01 AM1/24/07
An error in one of the rules has been brought to my attention. I'm not
sure when this error occurred, as at least some earlier versions have
the correct wording.

---

4.2 "Companion" refers to anyone who travelled with the Doctor for two
or more consecutive episodes. For the avoidance of doubt, the following
all have honorary companion status: Katarina, Sara Kingdom, Brigadier
Lethbridge-Stewart, Adam, Captain Jack, Mickey. No other UNIT soldiers
have companion status (Harry Sullivan and Jo Grant obviously are
companions).

---

In the first sentence, the word "episodes" should read "stories".

I don't believe that any questions in DWRE8 are affected by this error,
but if you feel that you would have given a different answer had you
seen the correct wording, then send me an email.

48 hours to go.

Cheers

Tom

On 11 Jan, 17:19, "tomsalin...@googlemail.com"

> email (tomsalin...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 19 January

> tomsalin...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the the forum!

> read more »...

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jan 26, 2007, 8:18:25 AM1/26/07
Welcome back! A very small field saw Dave Woodley come out on top with
an excellent score of 10! Familiar faces are throughout the top 5, with
previous multi-winner Wilf just scraping into the top 10.

DAVE WOODLEY GRAHAM KEELING JONATHAN MORRIS

0 Issigri Rowse Ollis

1 Time Huon Psychic

2 Curse of Peladon 1 The Romans 2 The Romans 1

3 Midge Stor Solon

4 UNIT date The Eye of Harmony is Daleks evolved from
5 John Peel Peter Anghelides Jonathan Morris

6 Linx Ian Chesterton Queen Victoria

7 Norman Stewart Derrick Sherwin Morris Barry

8 TV Movie The Evil of the Dalek Carnival of Monsters

9 The Savages The Enemy of the Worl The Faceless Ones

To review the scoring:

The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

Here is the complete table of scores.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1 10 Dave Woodley 1 1 1 1 5 1 2 1 1 1
2 30 Graham Keeling 1 3 1 1 1 1 1 5 2 1
3 144 Jonathan Morris 2 2 1 3 1 1 1 3 2 2
= 144 Ed Jolley 1 2 1 3 1 2 2 3 1 2
5 160 Jesse Smith 2 2 1 1 1 WR 2 1 2 2
6 180 solar.penguin 3 1 1 1 1 WR 1 3 2 2
7 192 Nathan Brownback 1 2 2 WR 1 1 1 1 4 2
8 216 Simon Kinnear 1 2 2 1 1 2 3 1 3 3
9 240 Wilf 1 2 1 2 1 1 1 5 4 3
10 800 yohinnchild 1 1 1 2 5 1 2 WR 4 1
11 864 rob.ocelot WR 3 2 WR 1 1 1 4 1 1
12 900 HolmesBaker 1 6 WR 1 1 2 1 5 3 1
13 1,200 artyclarty 1 3 1 1 WR 1 1 5 4 2
14 1,440 Chicken Man 1 6 1 1 WR 1 2 4 3 1
15 1,600 Jack Nickley 2 5 2 1 5 2 2 1 4 1
16 2,400 Dave Jones 1 1 1 3 WR WR 1 1 WR 2
17 2,592 ChrisDK WR 6 1 WR 1 1 1 3 4 1
18 4,320 Paulbarthur 2 6 1 WR 5 1 2 2 3 1
19 4,800 Hotmissile 1 5 2 1 WR 1 3 1 WR 2
20 5,760 Paul Campbell 3 6 1 1 WR 1 1 4 4 2
= 5,760 Tim Barnett 1 1 2 WR WR 2 1 2 4 3
22 8,100 Aaon 2 6 WR 1 5 1 3 3 3 1
23 12,000 Beyondthevoid 2 5 2 1 WR 2 WR 5 1 1
24 86,400 Simon@Twofish 3 5 1 WR WR 2 1 3 WR 2
25 172,800 Luke Curtis 1 5 2 WR WR 2 2 4 3 WR

Here is the complete list of answers given. Each list shows correct
answers in the order worst to best (most to least popular).

Posting the questions on rec.arts.drwho did not result in any
vandalism, so I'll probably post DWRE9 there too. Whether or not there
will be a DWRE10 will depend on me thinking of enough questions, and
getting a bigger turn-out next time.

0. Give a surname shared by two or more characters (whether or not they
happen to be related). Where characters are given only one name, that
is assumed to be a first name and not a surname.

3 Briggs (Benjamin, Samantha)
2 Tyler (Jackie, Rose)
2 Maxtible (Theodore and Ruth)
2 Ollis (Mr and Mrs)
1 Blake (Josiah, Ursula)
1 Clanton (Ike, Phineas)
1 Jenkins (The Faceless Ones, The Doctor Dances)
1 Smith (Mickey, Sarah Jane)
1 Williams (Petra, Allison)
1 Wright (Barbara, Pte)
1 Issigri (Dom and Madeline)
1 Jackson (Ben and sailor in Enlightenment)
1 P (Priscilla and Silas)
1 Reynolds (Captain and Superintendent)
1 Rowse (Hilda and Bert)
1 Scarlioni (Count and Countess)
1 Scarman (Lawrence and Marcus)
1 Travers (Prof and Anne)
Wrong
1 Seeley
1 Turlough

Four people submitted answers in the form "Fred and Betty Davis".
Usually, if a word is asked for, the first word in the answer is deemed
to be the answer. Here, I asked for a surname, and so I've -
reluctantly - allowed what looks like the surname to stand as the
answer.

The entrant who submitted "Polly and Barbara Wright" is therefore
deemed to have submitted the answer "Wright" which is correct,
since even though Polly's surname was never given on-screen, there
was a Private Wright in The Silurians. I'm less convinced about
"Vislor and Malkon Turlough" since I don't believe Turlough's
brother's full name is ever stated. It may be reasonable to assume
that he's called "Malkon Turlough" but in this game, we deal only in
what is known, not what can be assumed.

One of the "Tyler"s was "Pete and Pete Tyler" (parallel world)
which is unnecessarily ingenious, since "Tyler" is a correct answer
in any case.

1. Give a word which appears before the word "particle" or the word
"energy" to describe a fictional phenomenon in the Doctor Who universe.

6 Mandragora
5 Artron
3 Huon
2 Helix
2 Phobic
2 Psychic
1 Delta
1 Ghost
1 Nexus
1 Orbital
1 Time

The collision on "Huon" was to be expected, as I suppose was the
collision on "artron" - but the double collision on "Mandragora"
and "Helix" was a surprise. Note that since I asked for a word,
more specific variant scoring does not apply. This was the one question
which nobody got wrong.

2. Name a Doctor Who episode which, on its first UK transmission,
gained ratings of 10million viewers or more.

2 Curse of Peladon 2 (11m)
2 Rose (10.8m)
2 The Crusade 1 (10.5m)
2 Time Flight 1 (10m)
1 Black Orchid 2 (10.1m)
1 City of Death 3 (15.4m)
1 City of Death 4 (16.1m)
1 Curse of Peladon 1 (10.3m)
1 Daleks Master Plan 3 (10.3m)
1 Day of the Daleks 2 (10.4m)
1 Galaxy 4 3 (11.3m)
1 Masque of Mandragora 4 (10.6m)
1 The Creature from the Pit 3 (10.2m)
1 The Daleks 7 (10.4m)
1 The Rescue 2 (13m)
1 The Romans 1 (13m)
1 The Romans 2 (11.5m)
1 The Time Warrior 4 (10.6m)
1 The Web Planet 1 (13.5m)
Wrong
1 City of Death (episode asked for, story given)
1 The Face of Evil (episode asked for, story given)

Easy to research and hard to get wrong, unless you failed to specify a
particular episode. I'm not sure what a story gaining ratings of over
10 million would mean, unless it was a single-episode story. Does it
mean at least one episode getting over 10 million? More than half its
episodes getting over 10 million? The average rating across all
episodes being over 10 million?

3. Name a character who is killed directly as a result of The Doctor's
actions.

3 Solon
2 Kamelion
1 Cyber Controller
1 Cyberleader
1 Eldrad
1 Goth
1 Graff Vynda-K
1 Mawdryn
1 Midge
1 Monarch
1 Quillam
1 Shockeye
1 Slaar
1 Stor
1 Sutekh
Wrong
1 Fibuli (Mentiad's actions)
1 Harrison Chase (tried to kill the Doctor instead of saving himself)
1 Imperial Dalek giving count-down (not named)
1 Pangol's clones (not one person)
1 Sara Kingdom (chooses to return to The Doctor)
1 Stevens (commits suicide)
1 Margaret Slitheen (regressed to an egg, not killed)

What does "directly killed" mean? I take it to mean that there was
no opportunity for any one else (including the victim) to intervene.
The Doctor takes an action which irrevocably results in the death of
another person. I thought Kamelion and Shockeye would sweep the board,
but there are a number of other unarguable cases.

In the "no" pile, we find Harrison Chase who pulls the Doctor in to
the composting machine after him, rather than climbing out himself.
Stevens is freed from mind control by the Doctor (in The Green Death)
but then takes his own life.

Mr Fibuli, in The Pirate Planet is killed because The Doctor commands
the Mentiads to destroy a piece of equipment. Therefore The Mentiads
are the ones directly responsible. They could (in theory) have refused
the order. Likewise, Sara Kingdom chose to return to the Doctor and the
Time Destructor, thereby bringing about her own death.

4. Describe a piece of information given during an episode of Doctor
Who (by any means) which appears to contradict information given in a
previously-broadcast episode, and which contradiction is not resolved
within that story.

5 UNIT date
1 51st century has working, practical time machines
1 Dalekanium is an unstable explosive
1 Daleks evolved from Kaleds
1 Name of the Inn Ian remembers
1 Sontarans have extra fingers
1 Spelling of For[e]man
1 TARDIS doors can be safely opened
1 The Eye of Harmony is in the TARDIS
1 The TARDIS is in a state of temporal grace
1 Zoe does/does not know what candles are
Wrong
1 Colour schemes of renegade and imperial Daleks
1 Ease of travel between parallel worlds
1 Impossible to see the Big Bang
1 K9 has never spun in circles before
1 Mars was destroyed by the Fendahl
1 McCoy is not the Seventh Doctor
1 Regenerations since Sarah last met The Doctor
1 TARDIS not sucked into void
1 The Doctor is Half Human
1 The Doctor is able to fly the TARDIS (The Time Monster)

No surprise to see the UNIT date error featured prominently here. In
fact one entrant who submitted this answer commented "N.B This is
possibly the dullest answer ever and will no doubt score highly".
Different people phrased it differently, but Mawdryn Undead was always
to blame, so these answers have all been taken to be equivalent.

That Sontarans have extra fingers is a contradiction explicitly because
they are a cloned race. Other differences between aliens of the same
race in different stories can be taken to be natural variation and so
wouldn't rise to the level of "contradiction".

I suspect that the answers I have marked wrong here will be the most
controversial, so here are my reasons.

"Ease of travel between parallel worlds" suggests that the Doctor's
statements in Inferno - to the effect that returning with The Brigade
Leader would be a "cosmic disaster" - are contradicted by the
events of Doomsday - which show little ill-effects of parallel world
travel beyond a little climate change. However the journey in Inferno
is caused by a malfunction of the TARDIS which "slipped sideways in
time", whereas the journeys in Doomsday are the result of a time-rift
so I don't think this is comparing like-with-like.

"I've regenerated half-a-dozen times" does not contradict The
Five Doctors since the rest of School Reunion suggests that Sarah has
no memory of The Five Doctors, which is itself consistent with the way
being "taken out of time" seems to work in both that story and The
Three Doctors. It is also notable that the Doctor uses a casual phrase
to suggest about six regenerations, rather than exactly six.

Whether the TARDIS is sucked into the void I think has to do with the
nature of void-stuff and the nature of the TARDIS and not how
physically heavy it is.

The Doctor being half human was certainly a surprise, but it does not
directly conflict with any information given elsewhere. A half-human,
half Gallifreyan raised as a Time Lord on Gallifrey would certainly
identify himself as a Time Lord, just as the half-human Spock
frequently identified himself as Vulcan. Plus, the first and second
Doctor's seemingly human physiology (one heart etc) can be seen as
evidence in favour of this hypothesis.

The entry which I have summarised as "impossible to see the Big Bang"
is presented here in full

Quote:
In "Destiny Of The Daleks", Doctor 4 is reading Oolon Caluphid's
"Origins of the Universe" and states "He got it wrong on the first
line! Why didn't he ask someone who saw it happen?" (implying him, but
could equally be referring to anyone else) In Castrovalva though,
Doctor 5 states that visiting Event One (the Big Bang) is prohibited by
the Timelords so, regardless of whether it was the Doctor or someone
else, who was Oolon Caluphid supposed to ask? In short, the earlier
story claimed that someone had seen the Big Bang, whilst the later
story claims that's impossible (or, at least, hasn't happened before).

Now usually, if a correct answer has an incorrect explanation, I still
mark it as correct, but given the nature of this question, that can't
apply here. My problems with this answer are as follows: The Fourth
Doctor's comment is ambiguous and could have been ironic. "Event One"
is the creation of the Universe as depicted in Terminus, but it's the
creation of the galaxy (the hydrogen in-rush) which threatens the
TARDIS in Castrovalva (pure nonsense, cosmologically speaking, but that
need not concern us). Finally, that the Time Lords forbid something
does not make it impossible. Maybe there is a contradiction here, but
this entrant did not successfully describe it.

The entrant who submitted "Dalek colour schemes" seemed to think that
"Imperial" meant something other than associated with the emperor -
Davros.

In the TV Movie we learn that McCoy plays the Doctor's seventh
incarnation, but according to one entrant, this contradicts The Brain
of Morbius where earlier incarnations than the Hartnell version are
seen (who all look like members of the production team in fancy dress).
Morbius is not unambiguous here, and further, it's hard to argue that
it's the TV Movie which is contradictory, since every other reference
to numbers of incarnations is in agreement (Three Doctors, Five
Doctors, Mawdryn Undead etc). While I might have entertained Morbius as
being a contradiction, I'm not going to accept the TV Movie.

Although there is a lot of mutually contradictory evidence surrounding
the nature of The Third Doctor's exile, in The Time Monster, his
ability to fly the TARDIS is explained by his effectively yoking it to
The Master's.

And Mars was not destroyed by the Fendahl.

5. Name a person who has been credited as writer on more than four
professional, authorised Doctor Who stories in other mediums, but who
has never been credited as writer on a television episode of Doctor
Who.

2 Alan Barnes
2 Jon Blum
2 Kate Orman
2 Steve Lyons
1 Andrew Cartmel
1 Cavan Scott
1 Christopher Bulis
1 Eddie Robson
1 Gareth Roberts
1 Iain McLaughlin
1 John Peel
1 Jonathan Morris
1 Justin Richards
1 Lance Parkin
1 Paul Magrs
1 Peter Anghelides
1 Simon Furman (DWM comic strips)
1 Simon Gurrier
Wrong
1 Ian Marter (Target books only)
1 Nigel Robinson (two original novels only)
1 Robert Shearman (wrote Dalek)

Lots of choice here and so a flat field, but I didn't want to tie you
down to a single medium. The big question here was: does adapting
televised stories for Target books reach the standard of "credited as
writer"? After much agonising, I'm going to say "no." Ian
Marter and Nigel Robinson did not write the stories Earthshock, Edge of
Destruction etc., although they may have written books with those
names. Robinson did write two original novels as well, but that's not
enough.

Props (but no points) to the entrant who correctly answered with their
own name!

6. Name a character who appears onscreen in at least one episode, and
is mentioned but does not appear in at least one other.

3 Victoria Waterfield (The Two Doctors)
2 Linx (The Sontaran Experiment)
2 Shakespeare (City of Death)
2 Susan (The Rescue)
2 The Master (Black Orchid)
1 Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart (Android Invasion)
1 Harry Sullivan (Mawdryn Undead)
1 Ian Chesterton (Planet of the Daleks)
1 Kassia (Logopolis)
1 Lefee (The Ambassadors of Death)
1 Liz Shaw (Terror of the Autons)
1 Marco Polo (Power of the Daleks)
1 Napoleon (The Sea Devils)
1 Nyssa (Snakedance)
1 Professor Travers (Invasion)
1 Queen Victoria (Ghost Light)
1 Tegan (The Twin Dilemma)
1 The Doctor
Wrong
1 Rose

Here, stories in brackets indicate a story in which the character was
mentioned but did not appear in at least one episode. There may be
others (certainly so in the case of The Master and Susan). Kassia of
Traken is mentioned eliptically in Logopolis when Nyssa refers to "my
step-mother", but that is sufficient.

I am certain, however, that every episode of Doctor Who transmitted
since 2005 has featured Billie Piper as Rose (albeit in only a single
flashback shot of The Runaway Bride).

7. Name a person who has been credited in more than one capacity on
episodes of Doctor Who, and who has been credited at least once as
either writer or director. For the purposes of this question, writer
and script / story editor should be regarded as synonymous.

5 Derrick Sherwin (producer, script editor)
4 Peter Grimwade (writer, director)
3 Morris Barry (actor, director)
3 Peter Bryant (producer, script-editor)
2 Terry Nation (writer, Dalek creator)
1 Barry Letts (producer, director)
1 Glyn Jones (writer, actor)
1 Kit Pedler (writer, Cyberman creator)
1 Michael Ferguson (AFM, Director)
1 Norman Stewart (Prod Asst, Director)
1 Terrence Dudley (writer, director)
1 Victor Pemberton (actor, script-editor)
Wrong
1 Terrance Dicks

This time the question is: what does "credited as writer" mean? Had
I written "capacity as writer", I would have no hesitation in
marking Terry Nation and Kit Pedler as wrong. They may have been
credited as "Daleks Created by" but this was because of their work
as writers. However, what I wrote was "credited as writer" and
"creator" is very arguably a different credit. These two sneak
under the wire. This would also have let in Marc Platt, Bob Baker and
Dave Martin.

As far as I can see, though, Terrance Dicks is just wrong.

Other right answers not given include: Graeme Harper (AFM, Director),
Mervyn Pinfield (Director, Associate Producer), David Maloney (Prod
Asst, Director), Fiona Cumming (Prod Asst, Director) and no doubt
others.

8. Name a story which was repeated on BBC terrestrial television in a
different version to its first broadcast.

4 Genesis of the Daleks (90 minute repeat)
4 Planet of the Daleks (episode 3 b/w)
3 Revelation of the Daleks (four part repeat)
3 The Five Doctors (four part repeat)
2 Carnival of Monsters (part four cut)
2 The Evil of the Daleks (additional voice-over)
1 TV Movie (uncut repeat)
1 The Daemons (1971 edited repeat)
1 The Deadly Assassin (episode 3 cut)
1 The Robots of Death (two-part repeat)
Wrong
1 An Unearthly Child
1 Rose
1 The Runaway Bride (signed repeat)

The big head-scratcher here is: does a signed transmission of The
Runaway Bride count as a different version. I've eventually decided
that it doesn't. It's the same in all important respects.

The showing of the Pilot as part of The Lime Grove Story doesn't
count because the other three episodes weren't shown with it, and the
entrant who submitted Rose is asking me to believe that the leaking of
that episode over the Internet is a "broadcast" with its eventual BBC
transmission being therefore a "repeat". Scare quotes indicate the
words I consider to be unjustifiable.

The rest are all fairly obviously correct, although I had to query Evil
of the Daleks which apparently included an extra opening narration by
Patrick Troughton for its 1968 repeat showing, set up at the end of The
Wheel in Space.

Right answers not given include omnibus repeats of The Sea Devils, Day
of the Daleks, The Green Death, Planet of the Spiders, Ark in Space,
Sontaran Experiment and several others throughout the 70s.

9. Name a story which has one or more missing episodes. (An episode is
missing if the majority of the footage is not known to exist. Quality
of footage known to exist is not a factor.)

3 The Reign of Terror
2 Galaxy 4
2 The Celestial Toymaker
2 The Faceless Ones
2 The Highlanders
2 The Space Pirates
1 Power of the Daleks
1 The Abominable Snowmen)
1 The Crusades
1 The Dalek Master Plan
1 The Enemy of the World
1 The Ice Warriors
1 The Massacre
1 The Mythmakers
1 The Savages
1 The Smugglers
1 The Underwater Menace
Wrong
1 No answer given

Bad luck if you chose The Reign of Terror. One entrant asked if I would
have accepted Shada. The (unarguable) answer is left as an exercise for
other entrants.

DWRE9 will follow shortly.

My thanks to all who entered. Let the disagreements commence.

Cheers

Tom

solar penguin

Jan 26, 2007, 9:08:25 AM1/26/07

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> said:

> Wrong
> 1 Ian Marter (Target books only)
> 1 Nigel Robinson (two original novels only)
> 1 Robert Shearman (wrote Dalek)
>
> Lots of choice here and so a flat field, but I didn't want to tie you
> down to a single medium. The big question here was: does adapting
> televised stories for Target books reach the standard of "credited as
> writer"? After much agonising, I'm going to say "no."

Ok. I always knew it was a risk going for Marter. I should've stuck
with my first instinct and gone with John Wagner (DWM comic strips)
instead. I would've got third place then...

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

** They came and took up his repertoire!

** Yes, but she has 35 seconds starting now.

The Doctor

Jan 26, 2007, 5:11:39 PM1/26/07
In article <45ba0b54$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,

solar penguin <solar....@DELETE.tiscali.DELETE.co.DELETE.uk> wrote:

><tomsa...@googlemail.com> said:
>
>> Wrong
>> 1 Ian Marter (Target books only)
>> 1 Nigel Robinson (two original novels only)
>> 1 Robert Shearman (wrote Dalek)
>>
>> Lots of choice here and so a flat field, but I didn't want to tie you
>> down to a single medium. The big question here was: does adapting
>> televised stories for Target books reach the standard of "credited as
>> writer"? After much agonising, I'm going to say "no."
>
>Ok. I always knew it was a risk going for Marter. I should've stuck
>with my first instinct and gone with John Wagner (DWM comic strips)
>instead. I would've got third place then...

Quit your whining!!

>--
> ___ _ ___ _
> / __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _
> \__ \/ _ \| |/ _` || '_| | _// -_)| ' \ / _` || || || || ' \
> |___/\___/|_|\__,_||_| |_| \___||_||_|\__, | \_,_||_||_||_|
> |___/
> http://www.freewebs.com/solar_penguin/
>
>** They came and took up his repertoire!
>
>** Yes, but she has 35 seconds starting now.

--
Member - Liberal International
This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca

Peter Morris

Jan 29, 2007, 3:56:41 PM1/29/07

> 6. Name a character who appears onscreen in at least one episode, and
> is mentioned but does not appear in at least one other.
>

> 2 Shakespeare (City of Death)

Just out of interest, in which story does Shakespeare actually
appear onscreen? I don't know it.

I know he's in a story next season, but not-yet-broadcast episodes
don't count, do they?

--------------

Darn it, had to go away for a few days and didn't send in my entry.
I reckon I'd have scored 24 for second place. Still, nice quiz

solar penguin

Jan 29, 2007, 4:10:24 PM1/29/07

Peter Morris <nospam.ple@se> said:

> Just out of interest, in which story does Shakespeare actually
> appear onscreen? I don't know it.

"The Chase", part 1.

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

** Yes oh I see, Nicholas has leapt into the Imperial Senate.

** No, you don't know when the whistle blew! Which means he scored and
he's licking the glass?

lled

Jan 29, 2007, 6:54:26 PM1/29/07
Hi Tom,

Many thanks for the competition - always enjoyable.

I just wanted to comment about the lack of entries - it seems the time
allowed for the competition this time was very short (a week?).

Certainly in my case I saw the comp on the day I went on a weeks holiday (no
internet!) and by the time I returned it was finished.

Can the comps perhaps run for a bit longer in future to allow for those
taking holidays? I think the Xmas period might have been a bit of a special
case though, but it might be worth considering.

Trev.

lled

Jan 29, 2007, 7:02:24 PM1/29/07

> 4. Describe a piece of information given during an episode of Doctor
> Who (by any means) which appears to contradict information given in a
> previously-broadcast episode, and which contradiction is not resolved
> within that story.
>
> 5 UNIT date
> 1 51st century has working, practical time machines
> 1 Dalekanium is an unstable explosive
> 1 Daleks evolved from Kaleds

What story contradicts the fact that Daleks were evolved from Kaleds?

Cameron Mason

Jan 29, 2007, 7:09:39 PM1/29/07

"lled" <ll...@sone.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> > 1 Daleks evolved from Kaleds
>
> What story contradicts the fact that Daleks were evolved from Kaleds?

The first one says the Daleks evolved from Dals.

Cameron

lled

Jan 29, 2007, 7:13:09 PM1/29/07

"Cameron Mason" <maso...@mpx.com.au> wrote in message

So Dals are not Kaleds?

The Doctor

Jan 29, 2007, 8:33:56 PM1/29/07
In article <45be8ccb$0$8001$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>,

Dals --> Kaleds --> Daleks.

solar penguin

Jan 30, 2007, 3:47:05 AM1/30/07

lled <ll...@sone.com> said:

Maybe. Or maybe not. Either way, it's not explained in the story.

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

** Let's just say Nicholas gets a model girlfriend in Guy Jenkin's
advertising sitcom with Martin Jarvis.

** Rambler roses should be pruned in the pod. The tracks go off in the
autumn.

Pete Morris

Jan 30, 2007, 6:12:22 AM1/30/07

> 3. Name a character who is killed directly as a result of The Doctor's
> actions.
>
> 1 Cyber Controller
> 1 Cyberleader
> Wrong

> 1 Imperial Dalek giving count-down (not named)

Hmm, isn't there a contradiction here? The Cyber Controller
and Cyberleader weren't named either, but you marked those as correct.

The Doctor

Jan 30, 2007, 9:18:32 AM1/30/07
In article <45bf0603$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,

solar penguin <solar....@DELETE.tiscali.DELETE.co.DELETE.uk> wrote:

>lled <ll...@sone.com> said:
>
>> "Cameron Mason" <maso...@mpx.com.au> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "lled" <ll...@sone.com> wrote in message
>>> <snip>

>>> The first one says the Daleks evolved from Dals.
>>
>> So Dals are not Kaleds?
>
>Maybe. Or maybe not. Either way, it's not explained in the story.

Someone forgot to keep an eye on continuity.

The Doctor

Jan 30, 2007, 9:19:06 AM1/30/07
In article <qKFvh.3239$9S5....@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,

What about the old Emperor Dalek.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Feb 4, 2007, 6:44:38 AM2/4/07
> email (tomsalin...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 19 January
> tomsalin...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the the forum!
> answers, and equivalent to specifying ...
>
> read more »

DWRE9 is now up here
http://gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114988

and will be posted to rec.arts.drwho shortly.

Sorry for the delay

Cheers

Tom