Doctor Who Rare Entries Competition DWRE1

tomsa...@googlemail.com

May 30, 2006, 1:03:06 PM5/30/06
SHORT RULES

The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
objective is to give an answer that
(1) is correct, and
(2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.

** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

QUESTIONS

0. Name a person we have seen who was a member of UNIT other than The
Brigadier, Captain Yates, or Sgt Benton
1. Name a word which occurs in at least two Doctor Who story titles.
For the purposes of this question, "word" does not include words of
three letters or fewer.
2. Name an alien race which appears in at least four separate stories.
3. Name an alien race which appears in exactly one story.
4. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.
5. Name any performer who has played The Doctor on the BBC tv series
other than the official 10.
6. Name a character other than The Doctor who has been played by more
than one actor (programme credits will be used to determine this).
7. Name a character, other than The Doctor or a companion, who has
appeared in more than one story and was always played by the same actor
(again, going by programme credits).
8. Name a character other than a companion who has travelled in the
TARDIS with the Fifth Doctor.
9. Name a married couple we have seen.

LONG RULES

In order to participate in the contest, send your answers to me by
email (tomsa...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 9 June 2006.
It is of course essential that nobody sees the answers given by other
entrants before the deadline, so please do NOT post your answers here!

If there are fewer than 10 entrants, I may not bother working out who's
won, so if this sounds like fun, do encourage others to play.

Make sure you have read the rules before submitting your answers.

1. Answers
For each of the questions above, your objective is to give an answer
that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people
as possible. Feel free to use any reference material you like to
RESEARCH your answers; but when you have found enough possible answers
for your liking, you are expected to choose on your own which one to
submit, WITHOUT mechanical or computer assistance: this is meant to be
a game of wits.

2. Scoring
The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

2.1 More Specific Variants
On some questions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer
that is a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else. In
that case the more specific variant will usually be scored as if the
two answers are different, but the other, less specific variant will be
scored as if they are the same.

2.2 Scoring Example
Say I ask for someone the Doctor has kissed. There are 27 entrants: 19
say "Rose" or "Rose Tyler", 2 say "Cassandra in the body of Rose
Tyler", 4 say "Captain Jack", 1 says "Daphne Ashbrook" and 1 says
"Lynda Moss". The 4 people who answered "Captain Jack" get 4 points
each. Since "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" is a more specific
variant of "Rose Tyler", those who said "Rose Tyler" get 21 points
each, and those who said "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" get 2
points each. The Doctor never kissed actress Daphne Ashbrook (although
he may have kissed Grace Holloway) nor Lynda Moss,
so those answers are both wrong. The persons who gave them both get the
penalty score, which is the median of:
- number of entrants = 27:
- sqrt(27) = 5.196+, rounded up = 6:
- double the most popular answer's count = 21 x 2 = 42:
or in this case, 27.

3. Entries
Entries must be emailed to me personally by email:
tomsa...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the the forum!
In general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization,
English usage, or other such matters of form. Sometimes a specific
question may imply stricter rules, though. And if you give an answer
that properly refers to a different thing related to the one you
intended, I will normally take it as written. Once you intentionally
submit an answer, no changes will be allowed, unless I decide there was
a problem with the question. Similarly, alternate answers within an
entry will not be accepted. Only the first answer that you
intentionally submit counts.

3.1 Clarifications
Questions are not intended to be hard to understand, but I may fail in
this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity could only be
provided by an example which would suggest one or another specific
answer, and I mustn't do that.) In order to be fair to all entrants, I
must insist that requests for clarification must be emailed to me, NOT
POSTED in any mailing list. But if you do ask for clarification, I'll
probably say that the question is clear enough as posted. If I do
decide to clarify or change a question, all entrants will be informed.

3.2 Supporting Information
It is your option whether or not to provide supporting information to
justify your answers. If you don't, I'll email you to ask for it if I
need to. If you provide any explanatory remarks along with your
answers, you are responsible for making it sufficiently clear that they
are not part of the answers. The particular format doesn't matter as
long as you're clear.

4. Scope
Questions refer to the transmitted episodes of the BBC television
series "Doctor Who" in its original run from 1963 to 1989, the TV Movie
of 1996 and the current series which began in 2005. Only episodes
transmitted at the time of posting are included, and all other Doctor
Who related works are excluded. This excludes audio plays, comic
strips, spin-offs, TARDISodes, novelisations and probably more.

4.1 "Story" refers to one or more episodes, generally with the same
production code, writer and director, which tell a complete tale. Where
story names are in issue, the most common name will be used. This will
generally be the name used for the DVD, VHS or novelisation ("The
Daleks", rather than "The Mutants" or "The Dead Planet" for example).
For the avoidance of doubt "Mission to the Unknown" is one story and
"The Trial of a Timelord" is four stories.

4.2 "Companion" refers to anyone who travelled with the Doctor for two
or more consecutive episodes. For the avoidance of doubt, the following
all have honorary companion status: Katarina, Sara Kingdom, Brigadier
Lethbridge-Stewart, Adam, Captain Jack, Mickey. No other UNIT soldiers
have companion status (Harry Sullivan and Jo Grant obviously are
companions).

4.3 "Appears" or "Seen" mean seen on-screen, as opposed to merely
referred to in dialogue or implied.

4.4 "Alien" means not originating from the planet Earth.

4.5 "Actor" includes both male and female performers, but excludes
stunt-people, stand-ins doubling for a credited actor etc. unless the
question indicates otherwise.

5. Judging
As moderator, I will be the sole judge of what answers are correct, and
whether two answers with similar meaning are considered the same,
different, or more/less specific variants. I will do my best to be fair
on all such issues, but sometimes it is necessary to be arbitrary. I
may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a serious error and it
affects the high finishers.

6. Results
Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
reasons.

Have fun!

Cheers

Tom

Bazza

May 30, 2006, 1:34:54 PM5/30/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
Sounds like fun but what's the prize?????

Bazza

tomsa...@googlemail.com

May 30, 2006, 2:16:04 PM5/30/06
Glory!

Cheers

Tom

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 7, 2006, 7:33:44 AM6/7/06
Two days to go.

SHORT RULES

QUESTIONS

LONG RULES

email (tomsalin...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 9 June 2006.

tomsalin...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the the forum!

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 9, 2006, 7:49:34 AM6/9/06
These are the results of the inaugural Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest.
My thanks to Mark Brader, whose example on rec.puzzles I have emulated,
whose rules I have adapted and whose automated scoring script he was
kind enough to provide (although, alas, I was unable to deploy it as it
was quite beyond me).

There were 41 entries which was very gratifying - certainly enough to
encourage me to repeat the experiment. Entrants are denoted by their
userid if I have it, their first and last names if I don't, or their
email addresses as a last resort. A couple of people contacted me via
Outpost Gallifrey mail, or through an email account other than the one
specified. These entrants were not penalised - but please don't do
it again!

And the winner is... Toby H with a score of 960. Face of Po, came
second with 1,890, Jonny Morris was very close behind with 1,920, with
Wilf also doing well with 3,456. All other entrants scored 10,000+.
Here are their answers (use a monospaced font for proper tabular
alignment).

TOBY H FACE OF PO JONNY MORRIS WILF
0 Pte Upton Sgt Osgood Sgt Duffy Jo Grant
1 Galaxy From Power Child
2 Time Lords Sontarans Guardians Alzarians
3 Tythonians Mandrels Didonians Tractators
4 Troughton Pertwee Pertwee McCoy
5 Gordon Craig Rich. Hurndall Albert Ward Tip Tipping
6 Chicki Jamie Malpha [WRONG]
7 Jeff Garvey Mike Yates Pete Tyler The Inquisitor
8 Bilton Will Chandler Richard Mace The White Guardian
9 Mr/Mrs Leeson Scarlionis K/Q Hearts Strickson/Brennan

To review the scoring:

The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

Here is the complete table of scores.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1 960 Toby H 1 1 10 1 4 2 6 1 2 1
2 1,890 Face of Po 1 1 2 1 5 9 7 1 3 1
3 1,920 Jonny Morris 1 1 3 2 5 1 4 2 4 2
4 3,456 wilf 3 2 2 2 4 3 WR 1 1 1
5 20,412 Rob Ocelot 1 1 3 1 6 WR 7 3 3 1
6 23,040 Guy Leopold 3 2 4 1 5 3 4 4 2 2
7 28,080 Wooders 3 2 WR 3 5 3 1 1 1 4
8 38,400 Aloysius 2 1 10 1 4 2 6 5 WR 1
9 38,880 Michael Collins 3 3 3 1 5 WR 4 1 1 4
10 38,880 John Pertwee 1 2 2 1 6 WR 6 3 5 1
11 43,200 Mike Hall 2 3 4 1 5 WR 1 WR 1 2
12 75,600 Howard A Treesong 1 1 3 2 5 WR 7 WR 2 1
13 105,600 Jesse Smith 1 5 2 WR 11 1 6 4 2 2
14 157,950 Professor 1 5 13 3 5 9 3 3 2 1
15 171,072 Alocin 3 2 4 2 11 9 4 3 3 1
16 194,400 Ice Warrior 3 1 10 2 1 WR WR 5 1 3
17 194,400 Whofan 3 2 6 WR 1 9 1 5 3 4
18 205,920 Doc Filth 1 1 WR 2 11 6 6 WR 1 1
19 247,104 dorneyfamily 3 2 WR 1 11 3 6 4 2 1
20 288,000 macracadabara 2 5 2 1 5 WR 4 5 WR 1
21 308,000 rob_c 1 WR 10 1 11 1 7 5 WR 1
22 316,800 Chris Gerardy 2 2 2 5 11 WR 1 5 4 2
23 384,000 Skarasen 1 5 10 5 4 2 1 3 WR WR
24 388,800 Ed Rackstraw 3 1 6 1 6 6 6 5 5 4
25 432,000 genesisrockz 1 2 10 WR 6 6 3 2 5 2
26 475,200 Llama Roddy 1 WR 10 1 11 6 6 4 1 3
27 539,136 Alboreto 2 2 WR 1 4 9 WR 2 2 3
28 661,500 HolmesBaker WR 1 10 2 5 3 7 3 5 3
29 777,600 NathantheWhovian 1 4 6 2 5 WR WR 5 3 1
30 1,036,800 Trevor Gensch 3 4 3 2 5 WR 4 5 WR 1
31 1,080,000 sontaran 1 WR 10 5 5 9 6 1 4 2
32 1,235,520 Fortmap 1 4 WR 2 11 3 4 5 3 3
33 1,296,000 Neil Toynay 1 4 10 WR 4 9 3 5 2 3
34 1,612,800 Ssarl 1 1 10 5 6 7 6 2 WR WR
35 1,728,000 The Doctor 1 2 4 WR 5 WR 6 5 4 2
36 2,041,200 darkstar 3 3 6 3 4 9 7 5 5 2
37 2,073,600 cols123 2 5 6 2 6 6 6 5 WR 2
38 2,534,400 artyclarty 3 2 6 WR 11 2 1 5 WR WR
39 9,828,000 Robot Porter 3 WR 13 5 5 WR 7 1 WR 1
40 24,883,200 cyber_dalek 3 3 3 WR 4 9 4 WR WR WR
41 49,420,800 angela.orac 3 WR WR WR 11 6 WR 1 WR 1

Here is the complete list of answers given. Each list shows correct
answers in the order worst to best (most to least popular). >>>
indicates that "more specific variant" scoring was used.

0. Name a person we have seen who was a member of UNIT other than The
Brigadier, Captain Yates, or Sgt Benton

3 Capt Munro (Spearhead from Space)
3 Capt Turner (The Invasion)
3 Cpl Bell (Mind of Evil)
3 Jo Grant
3 Zbrigniev (Battlefield)
2 Col Faraday (The Android Invasion)
2 Cpl Palmer (The Three Doctors)
2 Sgt Walters (The Invasion)
1 Bill Filer (Claws of Axos)
1 Capt Hawkins (The Silurians)
1 Col Crichton (The Five Doctors)
1 Cpl Champion (The Ambassadors of Death)
1 Cpl Forbes (Spearhead from Space)
1 Cpl Norton (Invasion of the Dinosaurs)
1 Flt Lt Lavel (Battlefield)
1 Harry Sullivan
1 Liz Shaw
1 Maj Beresford (Seeds of Doom)
1 Pte Bryson (Invasion of the Dinosaurs)
1 Pte Johnson (The Ambassadors of Death)
1 Pte Upton (Doctor Who and The Silurians - uncredited)
1 Pte Wright (Doctor Who and The Silurians)
1 Pte Wyatt (Inferno)
1 Sgt Duffy (Invasion of the Dinosaurs)
1 Sgt Hart (Doctor Who and The Silurians)
1 Sgt Henderson (The Seeds of Doom)
1 Sgt Osgood (The Daemons)
Wrong
1 Sarah Jane Smith (not a member of UNIT)

A nice easy question to start you off. (Too easy, I had a similar
question which I should have used instead. Maybe in DWRE2?) Fairly easy
to get a 1 with a bit of thought or research and nobody got worse than
a 3.

For some reason, while Jo seemed to be thought of as an "obvious"
answer (which some people chose because it was "too obvious") only
one person opted for Liz Shaw.

Bill Filer is said to be from "Washington HQ". I assume that this
means "UNIT Washington HQ" since if he was FBI or CIA or somesuch
he presumably would have said so.

I'm not aware of Sarah ever having officially joined UNIT, but if
anyone can cite an occasion where it is made clear that she has, let me
know and I will amend the scoresheet accordingly. Had it come up, I
would have ruled that The Doctor was not a member of UNIT.

1. Name a word which occurs in at least two Doctor Who story titles.
For the purposes of this question, "word" does not include words of
three letters or fewer.

5 Doctor(s)
4 Terror
3 Dalek(s)(')
3 Seeds
2 Child
2 Earth
2 Evil
2 Fear
2 Warrior(s)(')
1 Curse
1 Deep
1 Enemy
1 From
1 Galaxy
1 Invasion
1 Makers
1 Mind
1 Planet
1 Power
1 Three
Wrong
1 Attack ("Graske" is not a story)
1 Four (one story only)
1 Ones (one story only)
1 Polarity (does not appear in any story titles)
1 War (three letters only)

Also fairly easy, but there were a couple of traps here. I treated
Dalek, Daleks, Dalek's and so on as the same word (which if nothing
else resolves the various renderings of "The Daleks' Master Plan"),
and treated hyphenated words as separate. As far as I can tell,
treating titles like "Earthshock" or "Mindwarp" as two words
would not have created any more right answers, but I wouldn't have done
so even if it had.

The entrant who submitted "ones" suggested that this occurred in
"The Faceless Ones" and "The Stones of Blood", but I asked for
a word occurring in a Doctor Who story title and while the sequence of
letters O-N-E-S may occur in "The Stones of Blood", the word
"ones" does not. This was therefore marked wrong.

Interestingly, my four character minimum - which was designed to
remove "the", "of", "and" etc. from play - ruled out
"Ark", "Web", "Day" and "War" which would otherwise
have been acceptable. This caught out one entrant. It failed to rule
out "from", but alas there was no smart-arse collision on that
word. Shame!

The entrant who submitted "Attack" fell foul of my definition of
story which fairly clearly excluded interactive games. I elected to
differentiate between "Four" and "4", ruling that "Galaxy
4" does not include the word "four". It is possible to find the
name of serial T rendered as "Galaxy Four" in a few places,
including on the cover of the Target book, but most reference guides
give "Galaxy 4" and the BBC audio CD concurs, so "Galaxy 4" it
is.

In order of frequency, the qualifying words were: Dalek(s)(') in 14
stories, Planet in 9 stories, Space 7 stories, Time 7 stories, Death 6
stories, Invasion 6 stories, Doctor(s) 5 stories, Terror 5 stories,
Cybermen 4 stories, Evil 4 stories, Warrior(s)(') 4 stories, From 3
stories, Monster(s) 3 stories, World 3 stories and all the following in
2 stories: Android(s), Child, Claw(s), Curse, Deep, Earth, Enemy, Fear,
Galaxy, Game(s), Maker(s), Mind, Peladon, Pirate(s), Power, Rani,
Robot(s), Seed(s), Three. Isn't that interesting?

2. Name an alien race which appears in at least four separate stories.

13 Gallifreyans
>>> 10 Time Lords
6 Ice Warriors
4 Daleks
3 Cybermen
3 Guardians
2 Alzarians
2 Sontarans
2 Trions
Wrong
4 Yeti (not a race)
2 Thals (Three stories only)

The "clever" answer "Time Lords" turned out to be the
second-worst correct answer, saved only by being the absolute worst by
the three even more "clever" people who submitted
"Gallifreyans". I used the more specific variant marking here on
the basis that while all Time Lords are Gallifreyans, not all
Gallifreyans are Time Lords, which had the effect of making
"Gallifreyans" the worst correct answer in the whole quiz.

Ice Warriors was a popular choice here, maybe because they have
appeared in exactly four stories and Daleks or Cybermen seemed too
obvious. Sontarans (also clocking up exactly four stories) though,
weren't nearly as popular. Alzarians, by virtue of Adric, and Trions,
by virtue of Turlough, I thought were ingenious. Not what I had in
mind, but it fits certainly.

The Thals only appeared in The Daleks, Planet of the Daleks and Genesis
of the Daleks unless anyone here knows different. Two people suggested
The Yeti, but as they are purely robotic I don't think they count as
a "race" - although I notice that those who submitted "Yeti"
were forced to include The War Games to get them to count. See the next
question...

I believe all the correct answers were given with the possible
exception of "Trakenites", by virtue of Nyssa.

3. Name an alien race which appears in exactly one story.

5 Rills (Galaxy 4)
3 Monoids (The Ark)
2 Didonians (The Rescue)
2 Drahvin (Galaxy 4)
2 Dulcians (The Dominators)
2 Tractators (Frontios)
2 Visians (Visians)
2 Xeraphin (Time-Flight)
1 Aridians (The Chase)
1 Bandrils (Timelash)
1 Logopolitans (Logopolis)
1 Mandrels (Nightmare of Eden)
1 Rutans (The Horror of Fang Rock)
1 Stigorax (Fiffi in The Happiness Patrol)
1 Taran (The Androids of Tara)
1 Tetraps (Time and the Rani)
1 Tigellans (Meglos)
1 Tythonians (The Creature from the Pit)
1 Vervoids (Terror of the Vervoids)
1 Vrood (= Voord The Keys of Marinus)
1 Xerons (The Space Museum)
Wrong
2 Sensorites (appeared in flashback MoE)
2 Zygons (appeared in flashback MU)
1 Savages (not a race)
1 Terileptils (also seen briefly in Time-Flight))
1 Troglodytes (not alien)
1 Zarbi (appeared in flashback in MoE)

I asked for an alien race appearing (that is, seen on screen at some
point) in exactly one story. To my mind, this rules out alien races who
make "guest" appearances such as the Quarks in The War Games, or
the creatures seen in various flashbacks in episodes such as Logopolis,
Mawdryn Undead and The Mind of Evil. This knocked out some popular
choices, including the Zygons, Zarbi and Sensorites. I was helped
enormously by this article and thank its authors.
http://nzdwfc.tetrap.com/archive/tsv16/flashback.html

Researching question 8 reminded me that Tegan and Nyssa are scared by
the image of a Tereleptil in Time-Flight), which rules that race out
too. As far as I'm aware, applying this rule this strictly did not
create any right answers to the previous question (the Zygons came
close, with one "real" appearance and two flashbacks!).

If you avoided this trap, then it was fairly easy to get a good score
on this question. I was amused to see three people choosing
"Monoids" and note that most answers were either Hartnell-era, late
in the alphabet, or both.

The Troglodytes from The Underwater Menace is an incorrect answer,
since I defined "alien" as not originating on earth which means
no-one from Atlantis counts. As per rule 3, "Vrood" was taken to
mean "Voord", which is a correct answer.

The Rills are evidently the archetypal obscure monster, and Galaxy 4 is
evidently the archetypal obscure story!

4. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.

11 Peter Davison
6 Paul McGann
5 Jon Pertwee
5 Tom Baker
5 William Hartnell
4 Patrick Troughton
4 Sylvester McCoy
1 Colin Baker

This was a sort-of popularity contest, although I would expect the
Doctor thought most obscure to get the most votes. I wasn't surprised
therefore to see so many collisions on Paul McGann, although I
wouldn't have predicted Davison to come top, especially not with
around twice the score of the next-worst answer. I also would not have
guessed that Colin Baker would be the best answer!

Since I asked for an actor rather than a name an actor is known by, I
treated "Percy Kent-Smith" and "Sylvester McCoy" as equivalent
answers.

Surprisingly, Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant were not picked
by anybody! Less surprisingly, nobody got this one wrong!

5. Name any performer who has played The Doctor on the BBC tv series
other than the official 10.

9 Richard Hurndall (The Five Doctors)
7 Edmund Warwick (Hartnell double, Dalek Invasion of Earth)
3 Tip Tipping (McCoy stunt double)
3 Brian Proudfoot (Hartnell double, The Reign of Terror)
2 Gordon Craig (Hartnell double, The Tenth Planet)
2 Terry Walsh (Pertwee and Tom Baker stunt double)
1 Albert Ward (Hartnell hand double, The Celestial Toymaker)
1 Chris Jeffries (Troughton double, The Wheel in Space)
1 Gareth Milnes (Davison stunt double)
Wrong
4 Adrian Gibbs (did not play The Doctor)
2 Michael Jayston (did not play The Doctor)
2 Trevor Martin (not in BBCtv series)
1 Douglas Camfield (not a performance)
1 Robert Holmes (not a performance)
1 Rowan Atkinson (not in BBCtv series)
1 Sylvester McCoy (one of the 10)

I expected many people to think of Richard Hurndall immediately,
dismiss that as "too obvious" and pick Edmund Warwick instead, and
to some extent, this seems to have come to pass although about as many
entrants still went for Hurndall as went for Warwick. Stunt doubles for
70s and 80s doctors were also all present and correct, also as I
expected.

Several people failed to read the question properly and submitted
performers who did not play the Doctor in the BBCtv series.

After much brow-furrowing, I decided that as Adrian Gibbs (who went
uncredited on Logopolis) is said to have played "The Watcher", he
was therefore not playing "The Doctor", Nyssa's speculative "so
he was The Doctor all the time" remark notwithstanding. Likewise
Michael Jayston is clearly credited as "The Valeyard" and playing
"a distillation of all that is evil" in The Doctor is very
different from playing The Doctor.

The entrants who suggested Robert Holmes and Douglas Camfield (thinking
of Morbius's mindbending contest) also caused my brow to furrow. Fans
have endlessly debated just what the faces of the production team in
exotic wigs might be intended to represent in this scene and I doubt I
will end the controversy here. (I'll give it a go though. The
production team's intent was probably that these were past
incarnations of the Doctor, but The Five Doctors and Time and the Rani
make it perfectly clear they are not. Ergo, they are past incarnations
of Morbius, no matter what he may be ranting at the time they are
displayed.) Fortunately, I can rule Holmes et al out on the grounds
that a single still photo of them is not a "performance" and that
they did not therefore "play" any roles, no matter which characters
they might have been intended to represent.

On the other hand, my use of the word "performer" here, rather than
"actor", was intended to open the door as wide as possible, so the
various body doubles playing sleeping or unconscious Doctors when
Hartnell or Troughton were having a week off, or in long shot when the
star was not available for location filming, all counted and many of
them were suggested. Some of these body doubles are listed here:
http://homepages.bw.edu/~jcurtis/Pixley_2.htm

Also possible right answers would have been any stunt doubles for
Tennant or Eccleston (I presume they had them?).

The entrant who submitted Sylvester McCoy pointed out that McCoy plays
the Sixth Doctor in the opening minutes of "Time and the Rani".
This is a most ingenious answer, but alas to a different question,
since McCoy is unarguably "one of the official 10".

6. Name a character other than The Doctor who has been played by more
than one actor (programme credits will be used to determine this).

7 Jamie
6 Borusa
5 Chicki
4 Davros
4 Malpha
3 K9
1 Eldrad
1 Omega
1 Queen Xanxia
1 The Master
1 Trantis
1 Xoanon
Wrong
1 Cyber Controller (different characters)
1 Cyberleader (different characters)
1 Tegan (Janet Fielding only credited actor)
1 The Castellan (different characters)
1 The Myrka (not actors)

Many people collided on Jamie and Borusa, with Davros and K9 also
making strong showings. I was surprised not to see The Master higher up
the list. I didn't know about "Chicki" in The Macra Terror (another
popular answer), so especial thanks to those entrants. In Xoanon and
Queen Xanxia we have a different aspects of the same character played
simultaneously by different actors, but my phrasing of the question did
not exclude this and these actors were all credited.

The entrant who submitted "Cyberleader" specified Christopher
Robbie and David Banks and might feel hard done by since those two
characters were both listed in the credits as "Cyberleader" but
"programme credits will be used" doesn't mean that nothing else
will be considered, and since these two different Cyberleaders are not
"a character", this answer fails to meet the first criterion of the
question. The case against "Cyber Controller" is even stronger, the
entrant in this case specifying Roger Lloyd Pack and Michael Kilgariff.
Not only was Roger Lloyd Pack never even credited as playing "Cyber
Controller", only "John Lumic", his Cyber Controller was in a
different universe from Michael Kilgariff's so I had no hesitation in
marking that one wrong.

I realised with horror after the contest had begun that I might have to
deal with the vile quagmire of the Mission to the Unknown alien
delegates, and lo and behold, one entrant volunteered "Trantis".
"About Time 1" does an excellent job of at least describing the
confusion and ends up concluding that the two Trantises are meant to be
the same man despite some changes in costume. While not ruled by Wood
and Miles, I found their argument persuasive. Add to that, looking at
the credits of the two shows side-by-side seems to show one character
and two actors and so I finally marked this one correct. When
"Malpha" showed up later, I concluded that for MttU only, I would
allow published cast lists to be completely authoritative and ignore
any other evidence.

In the case of the answer "Castellan", given that we know, for
example, Castellan Spandrell and Castellan Kelner are different people,
absent clear evidence that any two Castellans were the same man, I
marked that answer wrong also.

The Myrka is wrong, not because the question specifically excludes two
actors collaborating to create a single character (it doesn't as
we've seen), but because the Myrka performers are not "actors" as
evidenced by the fact that they received no on-screen credit. Likewise,
Tegan is wrong because, Mawdryn Undead notwithstanding, Janet Fielding
is the only actor to have been credited in the role.

7. Name a character, other than The Doctor or a companion, who has
appeared in more than one story and was always played by the same actor
(again, going by programme credits).

5 Alpha Centauri
5 Prof Travers
5 Glitz
4 Tanya Lernov
3 The Monk
3 Lytton
2 Pete Tyler
2 The Black Guardian
1 Aggedor
1 Capt Mike Yates
1 Cpl Bell
1 Jeff Garvey (cliffhanger reprise only, but he does "appear")
1 Margaret Blaine
1 Sil
1 The Inquisitor
1 The Rani
Wrong
1 Cyber Controller (different characters)
1 Cyberleader (different character)
1 Cyril Luckham (character asked for, not actor)
1 Lachele Carl (character asked for, not actor)

If you avoided Glitz, Alpha Centauri, Travers and Lernov, well done. A
lot of 3 and 2 scores, despite the existence of around half a dozen
more correct answers which nobody gave (Jackie Tyler, Harriet Jones,
Sgt Benton, The Valeyard, White Guardian, Mavic Chen and probably some
more of those bastard alien delegates).

The "programme credits" bit was intended principally to seal shut
the stunt-man / stand-in can of worms opened in question 5, but may
have mislead the entrant who submitted "Cyber Controller". It is
true that the only actor ever credited as playing "Cyber
Controller" is Michael Kilgariff, but it is also true that they are
clearly not the same character, any more than The Master in The Mind
Robber and The Master in Terror of the Autons are the same character.
The same applies to The Cyberleader as played by David Banks (killed in
every appearance if memory serves). With hindsight, though, the
reference to credits in this question was poorly worded, for which I
apologise.

The entrants who submitted "Cyril Luckham" and "Lachele Carl"
may think me harsh to have marked them wrong, but since an example of
precisely this mistake was included in my scoring example, I could have
hardly done otherwise. (Both I think would have been correct answers,
although Lachele Carl's character is described differently in the end
credits of Aliens of London / World War Three and The Christmas
Invasion.)

Interestingly, "Alpha Centauri" would also have been a correct
answer to question 6 - possibly the only character who could have
satisfied both sets of conditions.

8. Name a character other than a companion who has travelled in the
TARDIS with the Fifth Doctor.

5 Lt Scott
4 Richard Mace
3 Sgt Markham
3 Will Chandler
2 1st Off Bilton
2 Professor Kyle
2 Stein
2 The Gravis
1 Andrew Verney
1 Col Wolsey
1 Cyberleader
1 Jane Hampden
1 Joseph Willow
1 The Black Guardian
1 The White Guardian
Wrong
1 A cyberman (does not identify a character)
1 Andrews (did not travel)
1 Cybermen (not a character)
1 Howard (real Howard did not board the TARDIS)
1 Mara in Tegan's head (not a character)
1 Mawdryn (did not travel with The Doctor)
1 Projection of Adric (not a character)
1 Soldiers/Cybermen (not a character)
1 The Brigadier (honourary companion)
1 The First Doctor (did not travel)
1 The Master (did not travel)

Around half a dozen stories to pick from, but not an easy question to
get right - or to mark! If the person concerned was in the TARDIS
with The Doctor while it was in flight that was sufficient (the
character concerned did not have to complete a journey). I was also
prepared to accept implied journeys here since I didn't use the word
"see", but my recollections of some of the episodes proved faulty
and in some cases, online précis were not sufficiently detailed,
forcing me to rewatch The Visitation, The Awakening, Earthshock, Planet
of Fire and (god help me) Time-Flight in order to mark this question
correctly.

Howard Foster is a wrong answer because only Kamelion disguised as
Foster even entered the TARDIS. I eventually decided that the Mara was
not a "character" and marked that answer wrong. One entrant
couldn't decide whether to go for soldiers or cybermen in Earthshock,
but failed to unambiguously identify a single character no matter how I
interpreted the answer. In a fit of generosity, I let off the entrant
who identified Richard Mace by his catch-phrase rather than his name.

The Brigadier is an incorrect answer, since he is specifically
identified as a companion in rule 4.2 which says nothing about that
status ever lapsing. One entrant tried to make a case for the
projection of Adric in Castrovalva not being a companion. A projection
may not be a companion, but there surely it is not therefore a
character either, so this answer was marked wrong.

Other answers were marked wrong because the character concerned did not
board the TARDIS, or the TARDIS was never in flight with them on board,
or because they made a journey in the TARDIS without The Doctor
present.

9. Name a married couple we have seen.

4 Pat & Elizabeth Rowlinson (Battlefield)
3 Tremas & Kassia (Keeper of Traken)
3 Lord & Lady Cranleigh (Black Orchid)
2 Brigadier & Doris (Battlefield)
2 Frank & Maggie Harris (Fury from the Deep)
2 King & Queen of Hearts (The Celestial Toymaker)
2 Mr & Mrs Ollis (The Three Doctors)
1 Arak & Etta ((i)Vengeance on Varos(/i)
1 Areta & Jondar (Vengeance on Varos)
1 Beyus & Faroon (Time and the Rani)
1 Camilla & Zargo (State of Decay)
1 Count & Countess Scarlioni (City of Death)
1 Edward of Wessex & Lady Eleanor (The Time Warrior)
1 Galleia & Dalios (The Time Monster)
1 Jondar & Areta (Vengeance on Varos)
1 Mark Strickson & Julie Brennan (Planet of Fire / Paradise Towers)
1 Mr & Mrs Connolly (The Idiot's Lantern)
1 Mr & Mrs Farrel (Terror of the Autons)
1 Mr & Mrs Leeson (Colony in Space)
1 Mr & Mrs Lloyd ((i)Father's Day(/i))
1 Mr & Mrs Martin (Colony in Space)
1 Nero & Popea (The Romans)
1 Sam & Meg Seely (Spearhead from Space)
1 Peri & Yrcanos (Trial of a Time Lord)
1 Pete & Jackie Tyler (Father's Day)
1 Queen & Prince Philip (on TV in The Idiot's Lantern)
Wrong
3 Tom Baker & Lalla Ward (not married while filming the show)
1 King John & Isabella (Real King John not seen in The King's Demons)

And a nice easy one to end on. Again too easy. I should have narrowed
it down to a maybe a single doctor, but I was hoping for a Tyler
collision. One entrant delightedly pointed out that since I had
specified neither "together" nor "characters", "Mark
Strickson and Julie Brennan" was a correct answer. Despite much
thought I could find no basis to rule this answer wrong, no matter how
much I wanted to! That entrant finished third.

On the other hand, "Tom Baker and Lalla Ward", the only other
"actor" answer, is clearly wrong since Baker and Ward married after
they had filming finished on Warrior's Gate and so we never saw them
on-screen as a married couple. (Strickson and Brennon on the other hand
were married both while Strickson was playing Turlough and while
Brennon was in Paradise Towers).

Since King John does not appear in The King's Demons (it's
Kamelion), King John and Queen Isabella is an incorrect answer.

--

Many thanks to all who took part. My current plan is that DWRE2 will
follow shortly and that DWRE3 will take place around the time of the

I'm sure this is an awful breach of newsgroup ettiquette, but given the
vast majority of entrants were from Outpost Gallifrey (where this
contest was also posted), I'd like to suggest that feedback and
discussion takes place there:
http://www.gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2510832#post2510832

Cheers

Tom

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 11, 2006, 4:46:32 PM6/11/06
Following some debate and corrections on Outpost Gallifrey, I have
reconsidered some of my rulings, and corrected a couple of other errors
(including reinstating a missing answer-slate).

Rulings

· The Savages: The Savages takes place on an unnamed planet and that
the entrants answer referred to all the human-like characters on that
planet. Those referred to as "savages" are, I think, the same race
as the others, else the point of the story is lost, and from an earth
colony or not, they count as alien. My earlier ruling is REVERSED.

· Tegan: Sian Pattenden received no on-screen credit for her role as
the young Tegan, and so does not meet the required standard for
"actor" as indicated in the question. My earlier ruling STANDS.

· The Valeyard: Being derived from 100% Doctor, does not make him the
same person as The Doctor, any more than I would be the same person as
my identical twin (if I had one). He is a separate character, and the
credits reflect this. (Arguably The First Doctor is a separate
character from The Second Doctor, despite the fact that they are
supposed to be the same person. But that's not an issue I have to
consider here.) In any case, my earlier ruling STANDS.

· The Watcher: A borderline version of the case above, complicated by
the fact that Gibbs received no on-screen credit and we know nothing
about how he came to be. Had he received an on-screen credit, it would
no doubt have been "The Watcher" and not "The Doctor". Absent
any concrete evidence as to his status, I can't conclude that he is
The Doctor. My earlier ruling STANDS.

· The Cyber Controller: Attack of the Cybermen clearly implies that
the chap with the domed head and the paunch is the same character as
the one electrocuted in the Tombs on Telos. Regardless of the fact that
Peter Hawkins provided the "Cybermen voices", it is Michael
Kilgarriff who is credited as "Cyberman Controller" and so this is
therefore a correct answer. My earlier ruling is REVERSED. AotC still
stinks on ice, however.

One or two other small errors in scoring have also shown up - sorry
about that.

Here are the corrected scores and answer-slates...

Face of Po has dropped to third place, with Jonny Morris now equaling
Toby H's top score. JesseS leaps to 5th and Doc Filth to 6th.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1 1,920 Jonny Morris 1 1 3 2 5 1 4 2 4 2
= 1,920 Toby H 1 2 10 1 4 2 6 1 2 1
3 3,780 Face of Po 1 1 3 1 5 9 7 1 4 1
4 4,032 wilf 3 2 2 2 4 3 WR 1 1 1
5 10,560 JesseS 1 5 2 1 11 1 6 4 2 2
6 28,028 Doc Filth 1 1 WR 2 11 7 7 1 1 1

7 28,080 Wooders 3 2 WR 3 5 3 1 1 1 4

8 34,560 Guy Leopold 3 3 4 1 5 3 4 4 2 2
9 42,336 Rob Ocelot 1 1 3 1 7 WR 7 4 4 1
10 43,200 Mike Hall 2 3 4 1 5 WR 1 WR 1 2
11 56,000 Aloysius 2 1 10 1 4 2 7 5 WR 1
12 75,264 Beyondthevoid 4 2 3 1 7 2 7 4 4 2
13 75,600 Howard A Treesong 1 1 3 2 5 WR 7 WR 2 1
14 77,760 Michael Collins 3 3 3 2 5 WR 4 1 1 4
15 79,380 John Pertwee 1 2 3 1 7 WR 7 3 5 1
16 210,600 Professor 1 5 13 3 5 9 3 4 2 1
17 226,800 Ice Warrior 3 1 10 2 1 WR WR 5 1 3
18 247,104 dorneyfamily 3 2 WR 1 11 3 6 4 2 1
19 304,128 Alocin 4 2 4 2 11 9 4 3 4 1
20 316,800 Chris Gerardy 2 2 2 5 11 WR 1 5 4 2
21 360,000 macracadabara 2 5 2 1 5 WR 4 5 WR 1
22 514,500 Ed Rackstraw 3 1 5 1 7 7 7 5 5 4
23 528,000 artyclarty 3 2 1 WR 11 2 1 5 WR WR
24 588,000 genesisrockz 1 2 10 WR 7 7 3 2 5 2
25 628,992 Alboreto 2 2 WR 1 4 9 WR 2 2 3
26 640,000 Skarasen 1 5 10 5 4 2 1 4 WR WR
27 720,720 Llama Roddy 1 WR 13 1 11 7 6 4 1 3
28 756,000 HolmesBaker WR 1 10 2 5 3 7 3 5 3
= 756,000 NathantheWhovian 1 4 5 2 5 WR WR 5 3 1
30 1,235,520 Fortmap 1 4 WR 2 11 3 4 5 3 3
31 1,260,000 sontaran 1 WR 10 5 5 9 7 1 4 2
32 1,296,000 Trevor Gensch 3 4 3 2 5 WR 4 5 WR 1
= 1,296,000 Neil Toynay 1 4 10 WR 4 9 3 5 2 3
34 1,540,000 rob_c 1 WR 10 1 11 2 7 5 WR 2
35 1,782,000 Whofan 3 2 5 WR 11 9 1 5 3 4
36 2,268,000 darkstar 4 3 5 3 4 9 7 5 5 2
37 2,352,000 Ssarl 1 1 10 5 7 7 6 2 WR WR
38 2,940,000 cols123 2 5 5 2 7 7 6 5 WR 2
39 3,024,000 The Doctor 1 3 4 WR 5 WR 7 5 4 2
40 16,380,000 Robot Porter 4 WR 13 5 5 WR 7 1 WR 1
41 31,104,000 cyber_dalek 3 3 3 WR 4 9 4 WR WR WR
42 84,084,000 angela.orac 3 WR WR WR 11 7 WR 1 WR 1

0. Name a person we have seen who was a member of UNIT other than The
Brigadier, Captain Yates, or Sgt Benton

4 Capt Munro (Spearhead from Space)

3 Capt Turner (The Invasion)
3 Cpl Bell (Mind of Evil)

3 Zbrigniev (Battlefield)
3 Jo Grant

[...]

2 Warriors(s)(')
2 Child
2 Evil
2 Galaxy
2 Fear
2 Earth
1 Invasion
1 From
1 Enemy
1 Mind
1 Planet
1 Curse
1 Three
1 Deep
1 Power
1 Makers

Wrong
1 Attack ('Graske' is not a story)

1 Ones (one story only)
1 Four (one story only)

1 War (three letters long)

1 Polarity (does not appear in any story titles)

2. Name an alien race which appears in at least four separate stories.

13 Gallifreyans
>>> 10 Time Lords

5 Ice Warriors

4 Daleks
3 Cybermen
3 Guardians

3 Sontarans
2 Alzarians
2 Trions
1 Ice Warriors

Wrong
4 Yeti (not a race)
2 Thals (Three stories only)

3. Name an alien race which appears in exactly one story.

5 Rills (Galaxy 4)
3 Monoids (The Ark)
2 Didonians (The Rescue)

2 Visians (Daleks Master Plan)
2 Tractators (Frontios)
2 Drahvin (Galaxy 4)
2 Xeraphin (Time-Flight)
2 Dulcians (The Dominators)

1 Vervoids (Terror of the Vervoids)

1 Tigellans (Meglos)

1 Mandrels (Nightmare of Eden)

1 Savages (The Savages)

1 Rutans (The Horror of Fang Rock)

1 Xerons (The Space Museum)
1 Aridians (The Chase)

1 Stigorax (Fiffi in The Happiness Patrol)
1 Taran (The Androids of Tara)

1 Bandrils (Timelash)
1 Urbankans (Four to Doomsday)

1 Tythonians (The Creature from the Pit)

1 Logopolitans (Logopolis)

1 Tetraps (Time and the Rani)

1 Vrood (= Voord The Keys of Marinus)

Wrong
2 Sensorites (appeared in flashback in The Mind of Evil)
2 Zygons (appeared in flashback in Mawdryn Undead)

1 Terileptils (also seen briefly in Time-Flight))
1 Troglodytes (not alien)

1 Zarbi (appeared in flashback in The Mind of Evil)

4. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.

11 Peter Davison
7 Paul McGann

5 Jon Pertwee
5 Tom Baker
5 William Hartnell

4 Sylvester McCoy
4 Patrick Troughton
1 Colin Baker

5. Name any performer who has played The Doctor on the BBC tv series
other than the official 10.

9 Richard Hurndall (The Five Doctors)
7 Edmund Warwick (Hartnell double, Dalek Invasion of Earth)
3 Tip Tipping (McCoy stunt double)
3 Brian Proudfoot (Hartnell double, The Reign of Terror)

2 Gareth Milne (Davison stunt double)

2 Gordon Craig (Hartnell double, The Tenth Planet)
2 Terry Walsh (Pertwee and Tom Baker stunt double)
1 Albert Ward (Hartnell hand double, The Celestial Toymaker)
1 Chris Jeffries (Troughton double, The Wheel in Space)

Wrong
4 Adrian Gibbs (did not play The Doctor)
2 Michael Jayston (did not play The Doctor)
2 Trevor Martin (not in BBCtv series)

1 Sylvester McCoy (one of the 10)

1 Douglas Camfield (not a performance)

1 Rowan Atkinson (not in BBCtv series)
1 Robert Holmes (not a performance)

6. Name a character other than The Doctor who has been played by more

than one actor (programme credits will be used to determine this).

7 Jamie
7 Borusa
6 Chicki

4 Davros
4 Malpha
3 K9

1 Queen Xanxia
1 The Master

1 Xoanon
1 Eldrad
1 Trantis
1 Omega
Wrong

1 The Castellan (different characters)

1 Cyber Controller (different characters)
1 Cyberleader (different characters)

1 The Myrka (not actors)

1 Tegan (Janet Fielding only credited actor)

7. Name a character, other than The Doctor or a companion, who has

appeared in more than one story and was always played by the same actor
(again, going by programme credits).

5 Alpha Centauri
5 Glitz
5 Prof Travers
4 The Monk
4 Tanya Lernov

3 Lytton
2 Pete Tyler
2 The Black Guardian

1 Cyber Controller
1 Cpl Bell
1 Margaret Blaine
1 The Rani

1 Sil
1 The Inquisitor

1 Aggedor

1 Jeff Garvey (cliffhanger reprise only, but he does 'appear')

1 Capt Mike Yates
Wrong
1 Cyril Luckham (not a character)
1 Cyberleader (different character)
1 Lachele Carl (actor not character)

8. Name a character other than a companion who has travelled in the
TARDIS with the Fifth Doctor.

5 Lt Scott
4 Will Chandler

4 Richard Mace
3 Sgt Markham

2 1st Off Bilton
2 Professor Kyle
2 Stein
2 The Gravis

1 Jane Hampden
1 Col Wolsey

1 Joseph Willow
1 The Black Guardian

1 Andrew Verney
1 The White Guardian
1 Cyberleader
Wrong

1 Soldiers/Cybermen (not a character)

1 Howard (real Howard did not board the TARDIS)

1 The Brigadier (honorary companion)

1 The First Doctor (did not travel)

1 Projection of Adric (not a character)

1 Andrews (did not travel)

1 Mara (not a character)

1 A cyberman (does not identify a character)

1 Mawdryn (did not travel with The Doctor)

1 The Master (did not travel)

1 Cybermen (not a character)

9. Name a married couple we have seen.

4 Pat & Elizabeth Rowlinson (Battlefield)

3 Lord & Lady Cranleigh (Black Orchid)

3 Brigadier & Doris (Battlefield)
3 Tremas & Kassia (The Keeper of Traken)
2 Jondar & Areta (Vengeance on Varos)

2 King & Queen of Hearts (The Celestial Toymaker)
2 Mr & Mrs Ollis (The Three Doctors)
2 Frank & Maggie Harris (Fury from the Deep)

2 Brigadier & Doris (Battlefield)

2 Sam & Meg Seely (Spearhead from Space)

1 Mr & Mrs Martin (Colony in Space)

1 Count & Countess Scarlioni (City of Death)

1 Nero & Popea (The Romans)

1 Mr & Mrs Farrel (Terror of the Autons)

1 Edward of Wessex & Lady Eleanor (The Time Warrior)

1 Camilla & Zargo (State of Decay)
1 Beyus & Faroon (Time and the Rani)

1 Mr & Mrs Lloyd (Father's Day)

1 Beyus & Faroon (Time and the Rani)

1 Mr & Mrs Connolly (The Idiot's Lantern)

1 Arak & Etta (Vengeance on Varos

1 Mr & Mrs Leeson (Colony in Space)

1 Mark Strickson & Julie Brennan (Planet of Fire / Paradise Towers)

1 Galleia & Dalios (The Time Monster)

1 Pete & Jackie Tyler (Father's Day)

Wrong
3 Baker & Ward (not married while filming the show)
1 King John & Isabella (Real King John not seen)

My thanks to all who entered.

Cheers

Tom