BFI TV 100

Ignis Fatuus

Feb 6, 2015, 1:30:22 PM2/6/15

BFI TV 100
"The BFI TV 100 is a list compiled in 2000 by the British Film Institute
(BFI), chosen by a poll of industry professionals, to determine what were
the greatest British television programmes of any genre ever to have been
screened."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFI_TV_100

Doctor Who gets Number 3 position behind
1: Fawlty Towers, and
2: Cathy Come Home.

It's just another list (and an old one at that), but it does reflect the
widespread regard for the show. I wonder how the list will look in 50
years time.

The Doctor

Feb 6, 2015, 5:01:42 PM2/6/15
In article <5g1ada5elhrknen8i...@4ax.com>,
Well I need to get CCH.
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Birthday 29 Jan 1969, REdhill Surrey, England, UK

Agamemnon

Feb 6, 2015, 11:11:02 PM2/6/15

"Ignis Fatuus" <Ig...@fatuusisland.com> wrote in message

> BFI TV 100
> "The BFI TV 100 is a list compiled in 2000 by the British Film Institute
> (BFI), chosen by a poll of industry professionals, to determine what were
> the greatest British television programmes of any genre ever to have been
> screened."
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFI_TV_100
>
> Doctor Who gets Number 3 position behind
> 1: Fawlty Towers, and
> 2: Cathy Come Home.

They've got to be crazy. No one remembers Cathy Come Home.

This is just like that BATAs and Oscars where a bunch of clueless critics
and fools decide what's the best movie totally ignoring the number of people
who paid to go and watch it at the cinema. Hardly any one rembers any of the
winners in the past decade let alon the past 100 years because hardly anyone
went and watched them and no one will remember them either in 10 years or
100 years time but they will remeber movies like Frankinstein, King Kong,
Flash Gordon (the original B&W), James Bond, Jaws, Star Wars, Alian, The
Terminator, Indiana Jones, Alians, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Robocop
(original), Terminator II, Total Recall (original), Jurassic Park, Harry
Potter, Lord of the Rings, 300, The Hobbit, X-Men and all the Marvel movies
and so on. Those were the movies that dominated and created the culture of
the past century and those were the movies which sould have been in the
running and won the award for Best Picture and Best Screen Play.

> It's just another list (and an old one at that), but it does reflect the
> widespread regard for the show. I wonder how the list will look in 50
> years time.

Doctor Who and Faulty Towers will still be there. Cathy Come Home, The Naked
Civil Servant, Edge of Darkness, The World at War, Our Friends in the North,
28 Up, The War Game, Blue Remembered Hills, Dennis Potter: The Last
Interview, Talking Heads, and other such over praised over inflated hogwash
which never left a permanent mark in British culture and created new genres
of its own will not.

They've no even included Play School yet included Telly Tubbies? Are they
serious? What about Jakanory, Bag Puss, Think of a Number, The Sky At Night,
Horizon, Swap Shop, Some Mothers Do 'av 'em, Are You Being Served, Allo
Allo, The X Factor, Sunday Night at the Londen Palladium, The Generation
Game and Strictly Come Dancing?

They don't have a clue.

Ignis Fatuus

Feb 7, 2015, 5:44:09 AM2/7/15
That's possibly going a bit far considering it's a poll of industry
professionals...
but as per my disclaimer it's only a list reflecting the mood of the
moment. An interesting list though as it reflects the opinions of the
program makers themselves, and the productions that have influenced their
own work. It's well out of date now, so I was surprised that I haven't
come across it before... and even more surprised to find DW so highly
regarded within the industry.

As for the others... Cathy (perhaps forgotten by the general public) has
inspired generations of film makers. World at War was a seminal assembly
of wartime archive footage, and a documentary that still performs well in
the dvd market. A lot of the choices seem odd or outright ridiculous, but
it's not a definitive empirical guide to quality. Many of the
contributors, who would have been active when those programmes were made,
will be retired or dead by now. But unlike the viewers who regularly
contribute to polls, they were all making their own contributions to the
national cultural archive.

The Doctor

Feb 7, 2015, 7:48:00 AM2/7/15
In article <2cKdnX2aBpvJDUjJ...@eclipse.net.uk>,
AS I was saying about CCH.
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
If you want to catch something, running after it isn't always the best way. -Lois McMaster Bujold

Agamemnon

Feb 7, 2015, 3:15:08 PM2/7/15

"Ignis Fatuus" <Ig...@fatuusisland.com> wrote in message
Well that explains it then. You just have to ask which program makers and
which programmes did they make?

Obviously they don't want to be associated with Playschool but still they
want to be associated with Tellytubbies. That doesn't make sense. Playschool
was more influential in Children's TV than Tellytubbies ever was. It was
probably the first if not only programme on British TV which had black
presenters and treated Black people as equals such as Floela Benjamin and
Derrick Griffiths and by doing that it did more for racial equality and
racial tolerance than any of the arty farty rubbish to please the
establishment. It also gave us Brian Cant who also hosted Playaway which
gave us Jeremy Irons. Johnny Ball went on to present Think of a Number and
other spin offs. Derrick Griffiths also got his own show and Floela Benjamin
appeared in the Sarah Jane Adventures.

> come across it before... and even more surprised to find DW so highly
> regarded within the industry.

I thought it was more recent since it attributes the 2005 series of Doctor
Who along with the original.

> As for the others... Cathy (perhaps forgotten by the general public) has
> inspired generations of film makers. World at War was a seminal assembly
> of wartime archive footage, and a documentary that still performs well in
> the dvd market. A lot of the choices seem odd or outright ridiculous, but
> it's not a definitive empirical guide to quality. Many of the

I was assuming it was supposed to be a list of programmes that influenced or
changed British culture. The programmes they seem to be citing are those
espoused by the clueless establishment. Ordinary people didn't need Cathy
Come Home to make them aware of homelessness and it didn't influence popular
writing either.

The World at War didn't influence society and wasn't all that remarkable as
a documentary. It was WW1 and WW2 themselves which changed society.

> contributors, who would have been active when those programmes were made,
> will be retired or dead by now. But unlike the viewers who regularly
> contribute to polls, they were all making their own contributions to the
> national cultural archive.

Well that's debatable.

The plays and novels and other literature from the past that made the
biggest contributions to modern society aren't the ones that won the Booker
Prize or the equivalent of their day, they were the ones which were popular
with ordinary people and those were the ones which influenced later writers
and film and TV makers as well, not the arty farty rubbish which hardly
anyone read and no one remembers today.

I think we need to compile a better list and split everything into genre
putting the greatest influences of each genre on the main list.

So lets start off with Comedy.

At the top of the list should come Aristophanes whose work is the biggest
influence of modern satire. Programmes like Spitting Image, Drop the Dead
Donkey and Black Adder Goes Fourth are all derivatives not influences.

Next comes Menander. All modern sitcoms are derivatives of Menander, who was
influenced by Aristophanes and Terrance and Plautus who were influenced by
Menander. Even though Menander didn't obtain critical acclaim in his day he
was the one who irreversibly influenced a whole genre.

Black Adder Goes Fourth and all it's processors were clearly based on Up
Pompeii and Up Pompeii deliberately followed the style of Terrance and
Plautus therefore if Black Adder Goes Fourth had to be on the list then Up
Pompeii must go above it.

In fact it's better just to cite Aristophanes, Menander, Terrance and
Plautus and leave everything else all because everything else is just a
derivative including Fawlty Towers.

Anyway if we must compile a list it should be in chronological order.

So for Classic Situation Comedy we have Aristophanes, Menander, Plautus &
Terrance together, a long gap including Shakespeare who pinched most of this
work from earlier playwrights, Hancock's Half Hour, the Carry On movies,
Steptoe and Son, Till Death Us Do Part, Dad's Army, Up Pompeii, Fawlty
Towers, Are You Being Served, Some Mother's Do Av Em, It Ain't Alf Hot Mum,
Terry and June, Yes Minister, Hi Di Hi, Black Adder, Allo Allo and then the
genre dies.

For Alternative Comedy we have Aristophanes, a big gap, Musichall &
Vaudeville, Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy (silent era), Harold Lloyd,
The Marx Brothers, Abbot and Costello, The Goons, Q, Monty Python, The
Goodies, The Young Ones and then the genre dies.

For Relationship Based Situation Comedy we have Laurel and Hardy (talkies),
The Rag Trade, The Likely Lads, On The Busses, George and Mildred, Robin's
Nest, The Liverbirds, The Good Life, Happily Ever After, Porridge,
Butterflies, To The Manor Born, Just Good Friends, Only Fools and Horses,
Bread, Birds of a Feather, Two Pints of Larger and a Packet Of Crisps
Please, Gavin and Stacy, etc..

There's obviously stuff I missed out but others can fill the gaps.

If were dealing with Drama then that has to be judged solely by its
popularity and historical influence and influence on later works and almost
all the arty farty crap doesn't fit the bill and will never be remembered in
generations to come.

So we'll start with Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Apollonius of
Rhodes' Argonautica, Heliodorus' Aethiopica, big gap, Geoffrey of Monmouth,
Chaucer, Dante, Shakespeare, another gap, The Arabian Nights, Alexandre
Dumas, Jules Verne, Robert Louis Stephenson, Charles Dickens, Mary Shelly,
Jane Austin, the Bronte Sisters, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Lewis Carol, Arthur
Conan Doyle, H. G. Wells, Edger Rice Burroughs, Philip Nowlan (Buck Rogers),
Alex Raymond (Flash Gordon), King Kong (original), Superman (comics), J. R.
R. Tolkein, Marvel (comics).

Every popular movie or TV show today is a derivative of the genres pioneered
by the above so doesn't really deserve to be listed. This makes King Kong
the definitive and most influential movie of both the 20th and 21st
centuries whereas ignorant clueless critics would have you believe it was
something like Citizen Kane.

Mr.Smartypants

Feb 7, 2015, 3:22:00 PM2/7/15
Mr. Bean...the best ever.

Mike M

Feb 7, 2015, 4:32:30 PM2/7/15
Just wanted to point out that Brian Cant was in Doctor Who before Play
School I think - at least in his role in The Daleks Master Plan. His second
appearance, in The Dominators, was later.
--
.sig? We don't need no steenkin' .sig!

The Doctor

Feb 7, 2015, 6:21:45 PM2/7/15
In article <zqqdneP0AqbV70vJ...@eclipse.net.uk>,
Big gap you say. Dark Ages?

The Doctor

Feb 7, 2015, 6:22:10 PM2/7/15
In article <c731e04e-00a7-44f8...@googlegroups.com>,
Blackadder is way better than Bean.

Your Name

Feb 7, 2015, 7:43:28 PM2/7/15
In article <c731e04e-00a7-44f8...@googlegroups.com>,
Mr.Smartypants <bunghol...@lycos.com> wrote:
"Best ever" what?!?! Moronically silly waste of TV time ... close, but
that award goes to Beavis & Butthead. Bean ties for second place with
all "reality" TV shows.

The Doctor

Feb 7, 2015, 7:50:22 PM2/7/15
In article <080220151344149846%Your...@YourISP.com>,
Hence why Thin Blue Line and Blackadder are much better respected.

Agamemnon

Feb 7, 2015, 8:19:17 PM2/7/15

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
About 900 years. Somewhere in there is Beowulf and the Viking Sagas though
the latter existed during this time but weren't recorded by Snori Strulesson
until later.

The Doctor

Feb 7, 2015, 8:23:35 PM2/7/15
In article <G-OdnVdoOvYOJEvJ...@eclipse.net.uk>,
Sounds about right.

Pudentame

Feb 8, 2015, 1:27:48 AM2/8/15
Another thing to consider is the list is now at least 14 years old.
Nothing that has happened on TV since then is included, particularly
the re-launch of Doctor Who (Doctor Who II ?) in 2005.

But there are several of my favorites - "Yes Minister", "Dad's Army",
"Blackadder Goes Forth" (although I think some of the other Blackadder
series should have should have made the list as well), "The Avengers"
& "Civilisation".

Notable omissions (in my Opinion) - "The Prisoner" & James Burke's two
series "Connections" and "The Day The Universe Changed".

I'd also give honorable mention to Michael Wood's series "In Search of
the Trojan War".

Of course, the most glaring omission is that of "Doctor Who and the
Curse of Fatal Death"

Ignis Fatuus

Feb 8, 2015, 6:04:14 AM2/8/15
On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 01:27:47 -0500, Pudentame <no....@no.where.invalid>
wrote:
I consider the list itself to be less important than the evidence of the
high esteem for DW among industry insiders. To get honourable mention is
one thing; but to be given third place (and the top drama series) is quite
an achievement.

I would rather see Danger Man than The Prisoner. It was far more
successful in it's time; and most of The Prisoner (including the
surrealism and paranoia) was distilled from elements of it's predecessor.
It anticipated much of Le Carre's cold war cynicism, as well as it's
working class successor, Callan.

The Doctor

Feb 8, 2015, 8:45:44 AM2/8/15
In article <4evdda1h8gq84aitj...@4ax.com>,