Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest DWRE2

1 view

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 12, 2006, 11:39:51 AM6/12/06
This is the second Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below. This
contest is also available at the Outpost Gallifrey bulletin board.
http://www.gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2526008#post2526008

SHORT RULES

The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
objective is to give an answer that
(1) is correct, and
(2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.

** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

THE QUESTIONS

0. Give a word which refers to something Venusian mentioned by any
character or seen on-screen. In other words, if mention is made of
"Venusian Artichokes" in The Terror of Evil, then "Artichokes"
would be a correct answer.

1. Identify a character referred to by two or more different names in
the closing credits. Answers referring to the same character will be
treated as equivalent. "Different names" means more different than
a simple re-rendering of the same name.

2. Name a story which features no alien characters other than The
Doctor.

3. Some regular or recurring characters have met their identical
doubles. Name one of these doubles.

4. Name a target novelisation of a "Doctor Who" story written
neither by Terrance Dicks, nor the original, credited author of the
televised story on which it was based.

5. Name one unique feature of The Deadly Assassin. Your answer should
complete the sentence: "It is the only story which..."

6. Name a fictional device, self-contained and serving a particular
purpose (rather than a component of something larger), which has been
seen in The Doctor's possession.

7. Name one of the producers of "Doctor Who".

8. Name a television drama or comedy programme, transmitted in the UK
on a mainstream channel prior to the first posting of this competition,
which has over the course of its run featured at least two of the 10
official actors to have played The Doctor in credited, speaking roles.

9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.

---

In order to participate in the contest, send your answers to me by
email (tomsa...@googlemail.com) before noon on Friday 23 June 2006.
It is of course essential that nobody sees the answers given by other
entrants before the deadline, so please do NOT post your answers here!

If there are fewer than 10 entrants, I may not bother working out who's
won, so if this sounds like fun, do encourage others to play.

Make sure you have read the rules before submitting your answers.

1. Answers
For each of the questions above, your objective is to give an answer
that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people
as possible. Feel free to use any reference material you like to
RESEARCH your answers; but when you have found enough possible answers
for your liking, you are expected to choose on your own which one to
submit, WITHOUT mechanical or computer assistance: this is meant to be
a game of wits.

2. Scoring
The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

2.1 More Specific Variants
On some questions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer
that is a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else. In
that case the more specific variant will usually be scored as if the
two answers are different, but the other, less specific variant will be
scored as if they are the same.

2.2 Scoring Example
Say I ask for someone the Doctor has kissed. There are 27 entrants: 19
say "Rose" or "Rose Tyler", 2 say "Cassandra in the body of Rose
Tyler", 4 say "Captain Jack", 1 says "Daphne Ashbrook" and 1 says
"Lynda Moss". The 4 people who answered "Captain Jack" get 4 points
each. Since "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" is a more specific
variant of "Rose Tyler", those who said "Rose Tyler" get 21 points
each, and those who said "Cassandra in the body of Rose Tyler" get 2
points each. The Doctor never kissed actress Daphne Ashbrook (although
he may have kissed Grace Holloway) nor Lynda Moss, so those answers are
both wrong. The persons who gave them both get the penalty score, which
is the median of:
- number of entrants = 27:
- sqrt(27) = 5.196+, rounded up = 6:
- double the most popular answer's count = 21 x 2 = 42:
or in this case, 27.

3. Entries
Entries must be emailed to me personally by email:
tomsa...@googlemail.com. Do NOT post your answers on the the forum!
In general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization,
English usage, or other such matters of form. Sometimes a specific
question may imply stricter rules, though. And if you give an answer
that properly refers to a different thing related to the one you
intended, I will normally take it as written. Once you intentionally
submit an answer, no changes will be allowed, unless I decide there was
a problem with the question. Similarly, alternate answers within an
entry will not be accepted. Only the first answer that you
intentionally submit counts. You can expect an acknowledgement when I
read your entry. If this bounces, it won't be sent again.

3.1 Clarifications
Questions are not intended to be hard to understand, but I may fail in
this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity could only be
provided by an example which would suggest one or another specific
answer, and I mustn't do that.) In order to be fair to all entrants, I
must insist that requests for clarification must be emailed to me, NOT
POSTED in any mailing list. But if you do ask for clarification, I'll
probably say that the question is clear enough as posted. If I do
decide to clarify or change a question, all entrants will be informed.

3.2 Supporting Information
It is your option whether or not to provide supporting information to
justify your answers. If you don't, I'll email you to ask for it if I
need to. If you provide any explanatory remarks along with your
answers, you are responsible for making it sufficiently clear that they
are not part of the answers. The particular format doesn't matter as
long as you're clear.

4. Scope
Unless a question indicates otherwise, all questions refer to the
transmitted episodes of the BBC television series "Doctor Who" in its
original run from 1963 to 1989, the TV Movie of 1996 and the current
series which began in 2005. Only episodes transmitted at the time of
posting are included, and all other Doctor Who related works are
excluded. This excludes audio plays, comic strips, spin-offs,
TARDISodes, novelisations and probably more.

4.1 "Story" refers to one or more episodes, generally with the same
production code, writer and director, which tell a complete tale. For
the avoidance of doubt, the list of stories with their correct names is
taken to be the list presented on the Outpost Gallifrey Episode Guide
(http://www.gallifreyone.com/epguide.php), with the exceptions that
"Children in Need Special" and any stories listed under "Other
Stories" are excluded. "The Trial of a Time Lord" is considered
to be an honorary story title, as are the individual episode titles for
modern two-parters (which are generally referred to by both episode
titles, thus: "The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances").

4.2 "Companion" refers to anyone who travelled with the Doctor for two
or more consecutive stories. For the avoidance of doubt, the following
all have companion status: Katarina, Sara Kingdom, Brigadier
Lethbridge-Stewart, Adam, Captain Jack, Mickey. No other UNIT soldiers
have companion status (Harry Sullivan, Liz Shaw and Jo Grant obviously
are companions).

4.3 "Appears" or "Seen" mean seen on-screen, as opposed to merely
referred to in dialogue or implied.

4.4 "Alien" means not originating from the planet Earth.

4.5 "Actor" includes both male and female performers, but excludes
stunt-people, stand-ins doubling for a credited actor etc. unless the
question indicates otherwise. Generally a performer who does not
receive a credit is not regarded as an actor.

5. Judging
As moderator, I will be the sole judge of what answers are correct, and
whether two answers with similar meaning are considered the same,
different, or more/less specific variants. I will do my best to be fair
on all such issues, but sometimes it is necessary to be arbitrary. I
may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a serious error and it
affects the high finishers.

6. Results
Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
reasons.

Cheers

Tom

John Pertwee

Jun 12, 2006, 12:21:31 PM6/12/06
On 12 Jun 2006 08:39:51 -0700, tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:

>6. Results
>Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
>closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
>reasons.

When are you going to post the results for the first contest?
I don't "do" OG, so giving me a link to that again will not work.

--
If I had something cool to say, I would put it here...

Keith Morby

Jun 12, 2006, 12:59:53 PM6/12/06

<tomsa...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> This is the second Doctor Who Rare Entries contest. There a few minor
> rule changes from last time and these have been highlighted below. This
> contest is also available at the Outpost Gallifrey bulletin board.
> http://www.gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2526008#post2526008
>
> SHORT RULES
>
> The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your
> objective is to give an answer that
> (1) is correct, and
> (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.
>
> ** Answers must be submitted by email only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **
>

> THE QUESTIONS
>
> 0. Give a word which refers to something Venusian mentioned by any
> character or seen on-screen. In other words, if mention is made of
> "Venusian Artichokes" in The Terror of Evil, then "Artichokes"
> would be a correct answer.

Akaido

> 1. Identify a character referred to by two or more different names in
> the closing credits. Answers referring to the same character will be
> treated as equivalent. "Different names" means more different than
> a simple re-rendering of the same name.

The Doctor/Salamander
The Doctor/Meglos Doctor

> 2. Name a story which features no alien characters other than The
> Doctor.

Inside the Spaceship AKA Edge of Destruction AKA Beyond the Sun

> 3. Some regular or recurring characters have met their identical
> doubles. Name one of these doubles.

The Docdtor - Android double Android Invasion

> 4. Name a target novelisation of a "Doctor Who" story written
> neither by Terrance Dicks, nor the original, credited author of the
> televised story on which it was based.

Ark In Space - Ian Marter

> 5. Name one unique feature of The Deadly Assassin. Your answer should
> complete the sentence: "It is the only story which..."

...doesn't feature a regular companion?

> 6. Name a fictional device, self-contained and serving a particular
> purpose (rather than a component of something larger), which has been
> seen in The Doctor's possession.

Sonic Screwdriver

> 7. Name one of the producers of "Doctor Who".

Verity Lambert, John Wiles, Innes Lloyd, Peter Bryant, Derrick Sherwin,
Barry Letts, Philip Hinchcliffe, Graham Williams, John Nathan-Turner, Alex
Beaton, Matthew Jacobs, Phil Collinson

> 8. Name a television drama or comedy programme, transmitted in the UK
> on a mainstream channel prior to the first posting of this competition,
> which has over the course of its run featured at least two of the 10
> official actors to have played The Doctor in credited, speaking roles.

Does "Withnail and I..." count?

> 9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.

William Hartnell - but this is a daft question as there are more than just
ten. The first Doctor was also played by Richard Hurndall (officially)

Will this do Tom?

Morbius

The Face of Po

Jun 12, 2006, 2:12:35 PM6/12/06
I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
John Pertwee got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:

> On 12 Jun 2006 08:39:51 -0700, tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:
>
> >6. Results
> >Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
> >closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
> >reasons.
>
> When are you going to post the results for the first contest?
> I don't "do" OG, so giving me a link to that again will not work.

The results were posted in the same newsgroup thread as the original
questions:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.arts.drwho/browse_frm/thread/e16d2bb4c4a8f37f/

--
Remove caps to communicate more easily.

"twat ... bogey nosed newbie" - Steve F
"a prize prick ... lol" - FairPlay
"another person for the killfile" - DBurns
"Another case of evidence I wish to ignore" - The Doctor

John Pertwee

Jun 12, 2006, 6:02:58 PM6/12/06

Sure, unless you go back and read the part where he says DON"T ANSWER
IN THE NG!

John Pertwee

Jun 12, 2006, 6:56:24 PM6/12/06
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 19:12:35 +0100, The Face of Po
<gkenn...@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> wrote:

>I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
>John Pertwee got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
>> On 12 Jun 2006 08:39:51 -0700, tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote:
>>
>> >6. Results
>> >Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
>> >closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for technical
>> >reasons.
>>
>> When are you going to post the results for the first contest?
>> I don't "do" OG, so giving me a link to that again will not work.
>
>The results were posted in the same newsgroup thread as the original
>questions:
>
>http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.arts.drwho/browse_frm/thread/e16d2bb4c4a8f37f/

Thank you. It's nice to know that I made the top 10.

But he has me down for a wrong answer on number 6, but Borusa is a
correct answer.

The Face of Po

Jun 12, 2006, 6:52:10 PM6/12/06
I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
John Pertwee got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:

If you pay attention to Mr Morby's posting history, you might come to
the conclusion that he only posted *because* he'd read that bit, because
he knows exactly what kind of response it will cause. And that you (and
I too, because I chose to reply to this) have bitten, just as he
intended.

John Pertwee

Jun 12, 2006, 7:11:58 PM6/12/06
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:52:10 +0100, The Face of Po
<gkenn...@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> wrote:

>I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
>John Pertwee got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
>> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:59:53 +0100, "Keith Morby"
>> <morbius...@freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> >Will this do Tom?
>>
>> Sure, unless you go back and read the part where he says DON"T ANSWER
>> IN THE NG!
>
>If you pay attention to Mr Morby's posting history, you might come to
>the conclusion that he only posted *because* he'd read that bit, because
>he knows exactly what kind of response it will cause. And that you (and
>I too, because I chose to reply to this) have bitten, just as he
>intended.

That, or he is a dumbass...

Koenig

Jun 12, 2006, 9:54:35 PM6/12/06
> > 2. Name a story which features no alien characters other than The
> > Doctor.
>
> Inside the Spaceship AKA Edge of Destruction AKA Beyond the Sun

Wrong. Susan is a Gallifreyan.

> > 7. Name one of the producers of "Doctor Who".
>
> Verity Lambert, John Wiles, Innes Lloyd, Peter Bryant, Derrick Sherwin,
> Barry Letts, Philip Hinchcliffe, Graham Williams, John Nathan-Turner, Alex
> Beaton, Matthew Jacobs, Phil Collinson

Wrong. The question asked for ONE.

> > 8. Name a television drama or comedy programme, transmitted in the UK
> > on a mainstream channel prior to the first posting of this competition,
> > which has over the course of its run featured at least two of the 10
> > official actors to have played The Doctor in credited, speaking roles.
>
> Does "Withnail and I..." count?

Withnail and I is a movie, not a television drama of comedy program.

> > 9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.
>
> William Hartnell - but this is a daft question as there are more than just
> ten. The first Doctor was also played by Richard Hurndall (officially)

Absolutely.

But one must play by the rules of the game.

Lio Convoy

Jun 13, 2006, 3:09:10 AM6/13/06
tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote in

> 1. Identify a character referred to by two or more different names in
> the closing credits. Answers referring to the same character will be
> treated as equivalent. "Different names" means more different than
> a simple re-rendering of the same name.

Sarah-Jane Smith, Sarah Smith

> 2. Name a story which features no alien characters other than The
> Doctor.

Robot

> 3. Some regular or recurring characters have met their identical
> doubles. Name one of these doubles.

Brigadier

> 4. Name a target novelisation of a "Doctor Who" story written
> neither by Terrance Dicks, nor the original, credited author of the
> televised story on which it was based.

Seeds of Doom, Phil Hinchcliffe wrote the Novel, Terrance Dicks wrote the
screenplay

> 5. Name one unique feature of The Deadly Assassin. Your answer should
> complete the sentence: "It is the only story which..."

It is the only story where we see no companions.

> 6. Name a fictional device, self-contained and serving a particular
> purpose (rather than a component of something larger), which has been
> seen in The Doctor's possession.

K-9

> 7. Name one of the producers of "Doctor Who".

Russell T Davis

> 8. Name a television drama or comedy programme, transmitted in the UK
> on a mainstream channel prior to the first posting of this competition,
> which has over the course of its run featured at least two of the 10
> official actors to have played The Doctor in credited, speaking roles.

All Creatures Great and Small

> 9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.

Paul McGann

solar penguin

Jun 13, 2006, 3:41:14 AM6/13/06

Lio Convoy <lioc...@iwonttellyou.com> wrote:

> tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote in
>
>> 1. Identify a character referred to by two or more different names in
>> the closing credits. Answers referring to the same character will be
>> treated as equivalent. "Different names" means more different than
>> a simple re-rendering of the same name.
>
> Sarah-Jane Smith, Sarah Smith

No. That's a simple re-rendering of the same name.

>> 2. Name a story which features no alien characters other than The
>> Doctor.
>
> Robot

No. K'anpo/Cho'je appears in a flashback at the start.

>> 3. Some regular or recurring characters have met their identical
>> doubles. Name one of these doubles.
>
> Brigadier

No. He never actually met the Brigade Leader or Brett Vyon.

>> 4. Name a target novelisation of a "Doctor Who" story written
>> neither by Terrance Dicks, nor the original, credited author of the
>> televised story on which it was based.
>
> Seeds of Doom, Phil Hinchcliffe wrote the Novel, Terrance Dicks wrote
> the screenplay

Technically a correct answrer, but Robert Banks Stewart wrote the
screenplay.

>> 5. Name one unique feature of The Deadly Assassin. Your answer should
>> complete the sentence: "It is the only story which..."
>
> It is the only story where we see no companions.

Yay, you did it! You got one 100% right!

>> 6. Name a fictional device, self-contained and serving a particular
>> purpose (rather than a component of something larger), which has been
>> seen in The Doctor's possession.
>
> K-9

And again!

>> 7. Name one of the producers of "Doctor Who".
>
> Russell T Davis

Wrong. He's an executive producer.

>> 8. Name a television drama or comedy programme, transmitted in the UK
>> on a mainstream channel prior to the first posting of this
>> competition, which has over the course of its run featured at least
>> two of the 10 official actors to have played The Doctor in credited,
>> speaking roles.
>
> All Creatures Great and Small

Yes.

>> 9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.
>>

> Paul McGann

Yes.

But you should've sent your answers to Tom by email. Answers posted to
the group don't count. Sorry.

--
___ _ ___ _
/ __| ___ | | __ _ _ _ | _ \ ___ _ _ __ _ _ _ (_) _ _

** Yes, honey. I think he's searching for his son Tommy Parker.

** No arrest has been overthrown by the terrible sand storms that
ravaged his mind and body to meet you.

MH

Jun 13, 2006, 8:48:40 AM6/13/06
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:41:14 +0100, "solar penguin"
<solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote:

>Lio Convoy <lioc...@iwonttellyou.com> wrote:

>>> 3. Some regular or recurring characters have met their identical
>>> doubles. Name one of these doubles.
>>
>> Brigadier
>>

>No. He never actually met the Brigade Leader or Brett Vyon.

But he did meet his earlier self.

Stephen Wilson

Jun 13, 2006, 12:27:23 PM6/13/06

"solar penguin" <solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote in
message news:e6lq09$3j3$1...@nntp.aioe.org...

Not entirely. You can't complete "It is the only story which..." with "It is

the only story where we see no companions"

You could complete it with "features no companions."

Lio Convoy

Jun 13, 2006, 1:25:04 PM6/13/06
"solar penguin" <solar....@tiscali.co.PLEASE.DELETE.THIS.uk> wrote in

> Lio Convoy <lioc...@iwonttellyou.com> wrote:
>
>> tomsa...@googlemail.com wrote in
>>
>>> 1. Identify a character referred to by two or more different names in
>>> the closing credits. Answers referring to the same character will be
>>> treated as equivalent. "Different names" means more different than
>>> a simple re-rendering of the same name.
>>
>> Sarah-Jane Smith, Sarah Smith

Sarah-Jane and Sarah are two different names, not just a simple re-
rendering. T;would be the same as Jean-Luc Picard vs Jean Picard.

> No. That's a simple re-rendering of the same name.
>
>>> 2. Name a story which features no alien characters other than The
>>> Doctor.
>>
>> Robot
>>

> No. K'anpo/Cho'je appears in a flashback at the start.

They were not part of the story, they were part of the previous story.
K'anpo had nothing to do with Robot, and flashbacks to previous episodes
don't count. Same thing as the flashback of the Ship hitting Big Ben before
the story of Boomtown started, had nothing to with the story at all.

>>> 3. Some regular or recurring characters have met their identical
>>> doubles. Name one of these doubles.
>>
>> Brigadier
>>

> No. He never actually met the Brigade Leader or Brett Vyon.

He met himself, although older. Rose also met her identical double, albeit
as a baby. Then we have Mickey meeting Rickey.

>>> 4. Name a target novelisation of a "Doctor Who" story written
>>> neither by Terrance Dicks, nor the original, credited author of the
>>> televised story on which it was based.
>>
>> Seeds of Doom, Phil Hinchcliffe wrote the Novel, Terrance Dicks wrote
>> the screenplay
>>

> Technically a correct answrer, but Robert Banks Stewart wrote the
> screenplay.

Really? Hmmmmm. I have the novelization, and it said based off a Terrance
Dicks screenplay.

>>> 5. Name one unique feature of The Deadly Assassin. Your answer should
>>> complete the sentence: "It is the only story which..."
>>
>> It is the only story where we see no companions.
>>

> Yay, you did it! You got one 100% right!
>
>>> 6. Name a fictional device, self-contained and serving a particular
>>> purpose (rather than a component of something larger), which has been
>>> seen in The Doctor's possession.
>>
>> K-9
>>

> And again!
>
>>> 7. Name one of the producers of "Doctor Who".
>>
>> Russell T Davis
>>

> Wrong. He's an executive producer.

He's still a producer.

>>> 8. Name a television drama or comedy programme, transmitted in the UK
>>> on a mainstream channel prior to the first posting of this
>>> competition, which has over the course of its run featured at least
>>> two of the 10 official actors to have played The Doctor in credited,
>>> speaking roles.
>>
>> All Creatures Great and Small
>>

> Yes.
>
>>> 9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.
>>>

>> Paul McGann
>
> Yes.
>
> But you should've sent your answers to Tom by email. Answers posted to
> the group don't count. Sorry.

Sorry, I don't email people I don't know, especially when there is no real
prize. Now if I were to win something nice, like the Season28 DVD set......

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 13, 2006, 3:50:06 PM6/13/06
Please don't post answers in any public forum. It spoils the game for
other people.

And please, don't mark the answers which might be posted here. Not only
will this tip off other people as to potential traps, but also you may
make different decisions from me.

If you are thinking of entering, please don't read these posts.
Experience of these contests on rec.puzzles suggests that this kind of
behaviour doesn't affect the outcome much (although it's obviously hard
to know for sure) but it still seems rather childish and unnecessary to
disregard such simple and plainly stated requests.

If you don't wish to play, by all means leave well alone.

Cheers

Tom

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 13, 2006, 3:54:38 PM6/13/06

I think I have you down for a wrong answer on number 5.

Cheers

Tom

John Pertwee

Jun 13, 2006, 9:10:26 PM6/13/06

I must have counted wrong.

I could have sworn I said Terry Walsh, but I checked and I wrote
Trevor Martin...

How did I confuse them? I'll never know.

Thanks Tom.

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 19, 2006, 8:21:28 AM6/19/06
This is the first reminder posting for the second Doctor Who Rare
Entries contest. There have been a few minor rule changes from last

SHORT RULES

THE QUESTIONS

---

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 22, 2006, 11:01:08 AM6/22/06
This is the second and final reminder posting for the second Doctor Who

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 23, 2006, 7:26:52 AM6/23/06
These are the results of the second Doctor Who Rare Entries Contest.
Once again, my thanks to Mark Brader, rec.puzzles King of Rare Entries
Contests, as well as to all the entrants.

There were 29 entrants, down on the 42 for DWRE1, but still a decent
number. And the winner is... NathanTheWhovian - who took the hard
road by including a wrong answer, but nevertheless ended up with a very
admirable 576. Second was Rob_C with 1728 and JesseS is just a few
points behind in third, up from fifth place last time. Here are their
answers (use a monospaced font for proper tabular alignment - this
probably means doing "view source").

NATHANTHEWHOVIAN ROB_C JESSES

0 Feet Hopscotch Miles
1 Gulliver/A Stranger Davros/Emperor Dalek Reporter/Newsreader
2 [WRONG] Masque of Mandragora The Silurians
3 Omega Ann Talbot Princess Strella
4 Enemy of the World The Daemons The Twin Dilemma
5 Bernard Horsfall dies Features Elgin Features Runcible
6 The Nemesis Statue Ganymede Driver Reacting vibrator
7 Mal Young John Nathan-Turner Phil Collinson
8 Mrs Bradley Mysteries Jonathan Creek The Bill
9 William Hartnell * Colin Baker Colin Baker

To review the scoring:

The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final
score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your
answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of
people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A
wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the largest number of entrants giving the same answer (right
or wrong) as each other on the question

Here is the complete table of scores.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1 576 Nathanthewhovian 2 1 WR 2 4 1 1 1 1 3
2 1,728 Rob_C 9 1 1 2 2 1 2 2 3 4
3 1,792 JesseS 1 1 4 4 1 2 2 7 1 4
4 2,016 wilf 2 3 6 2 1 1 1 7 2 2
5 3,072 Darkstar 4 2 2 2 4 2 WR 1 1 2
6 4,320 Simon Kinnear 9 4 2 2 1 1 1 2 3 5
7 4,704 Luke Curtis 7 1 4 1 2 1 1 7 3 4
8 9,600 Marnok 4 5 1 WR 1 1 1 2 3 5
9 10,368 solar.penguin 9 2 4 1 1 1 1 6 6 4
10 10,752 btn 7 1 2 WR 2 1 1 2 3 4
= 10,752 Fortmap 7 4 2 8 1 1 2 1 3 4
12 12,096 chriskelk 9 2 1 2 2 WR 1 7 1 3
13 13,824 Jonathan Morris 2 3 1 WR 2 WR 1 1 3 3
14 15,360 cols123 1 WR 1 WR 1 1 2 6 2 4
15 18,432 genesisrockz 4 1 6 8 2 1 2 2 6 2
16 21,504 Cyril Washbrook 7 4 2 8 2 1 2 2 2 3
17 23,040 John Dorney 2 3 1 8 4 1 2 2 6 5
18 32,256 Robot Porter 9 4 1 4 2 4 1 7 2 2
19 33,600 Trevor Gensch 7 5 1 1 4 2 2 2 6 5
20 40,320 Beyondthevoid 9 5 2 8 1 1 1 7 2 4
21 55,296 Neil Toynay 9 1 4 8 WR 1 WR 2 1 2
22 61,440 Paul B Arthur 2 WR 2 WR 1 2 2 6 1 4
23 141,120 alboreto 7 5 6 WR 1 1 2 7 1 3
24 184,320 sontaran 2 WR 6 4 WR 1 1 2 6 4
25 491,520 Aloysious 1 WR 2 8 WR 4 2 2 WR 2
26 497,664 yohinnchild 9 2 6 WR 2 1 2 6 3 4
27 921,600 Professor 4 WR 6 8 2 4 1 2 6 5
28 967,680 Andrew Lowrie 7 5 WR 4 2 4 1 6 3 4
29 4,976,640 artyclarty 9 WR 1 WR 2 WR WR 6 2 3

Here is the complete list of answers given. Each list shows correct
answers in the order worst to best (most to least popular). >>>
indicates that the "more specific variant" scoring was used.

Early in the contest, a couple of oafs posted answers in public news
groups. Worse, others attempted to score these answers. I doubt that
either of these actions has skewed the results much, but where news
group answers have also been given by other entrants, they have been
indicated. A * indicates the answer given by "Keith Morby" and a ~
indicates the answer given by "Lio Convoy".

0. Give a word which refers to something Venusian mentioned by any
character or seen on-screen. In other words, if mention is made of
"Venusian Artichokes" in The Terror of Evil, then "Artichokes"
would be a correct answer.

9 Hopscotch
7 Lullaby
4 Aikido *
2 Shanghorn
2 Feet
2 Seas
1 Karate
1 Ouja
1 Miles

Hopscotch and Lullaby were the clear favourites here, in fact
"Hopscotch" was the worst correct answer in DWRE2! I would also
have accepted "eyes" or "eye" since the lullaby referred to
means "close your eyes my darling, well three of them at least".
"Venusian Ouja" I think is Benton referring to the Doctor's
exotic martial arts in a faintly sarcastic manner, and I was tempted to
rule this one wrong since it is likely a misnomer. However I think this
answer is correct, given the wording of the second sentence of my
question. The "Seas" are the Metal Seas of Venus mentioned by Susan
in Marco Polo. While not fitting the template "Venusian xxx", this
is still a correct answer.

Note that entrants were asked to supply "a word" and yet many
submitted answers in the form "Venusian xxx". See question 3 for
more on this issue.

1. Identify a character referred to by two or more different names in
the closing credits. Answers referring to the same character will be
treated as equivalent. "Different names" means more different than
a simple re-rendering of the same name.

5 The Master (Castrovalva, Time-Flight, et al)
4 Bennett / Koquillion (The Rescue)
3 George Cranleigh / The Unknown (Black Orchid)
2 The Doctor
2 Omega / The Renegade (Arc of Infinity)
1 Kamelion / King John (The King's Demons)
1 Davros / Emperor Dalek (Remembrance of the Daleks)
1 K'anpo Rimpoche / Cho-Je (Planet of the Spiders)
1 Reporter / Newsreader (Aliens of London / The Christmas Invasion)
1 Weng-Chiang / Magnus Greel (The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
1 Hallett / Grenville / Enzu (Terror of the Vervoids)
1 Gulliver / A Stranger (The Mind Robber)
Wrong
2 Corporal Benton / Sgt Benton / RSM Benton (no change in name)
1 The Brigadier / Brigade Leader (different characters, no change in
name)
1 Vivien Fay / Cessair of Diplos (only credited as Fay)
1 Edgeworth / Azmael (only credited as Edgeworth)
1 Melkur / The Master (Melkur was the Master's Tardis)

Apparently, the second sentence of this question prompted some
headscratching, but I don't know how I could have made it any
clearer. I didn't wish to mark, for example, "Bennett" and
"Koquillion" as separate answers, since they both refer to the same
character. Thus, if two people answer "Bennett" and three people
answer "Koquillion", they should each get five points. Hence:

"Answers referring to the same character will be treated as
equivalent".

I have not been able to check this, but I don't believe that "James
Stoker as Sir Gilles Estram" was seen in the end-credits of The
King's Demons (only in the Radio Times), but this does not make
"The Master / Gilles Estram" a wrong answer, since the character
referred to is The Master, and he certainly has also been credited as
Kalid and Portreeve, to name but two. Any answer referring to The
Master was a correct answer - in fact, they were all the same correct
answer. On this basis "George Crangleigh / The Shape" was marked
correct, and equivalent to the, more accurate answer, "George
Cranleigh / The Unknown". Melkur, however, was never a name used by
The Master, and so this answer is wrong.

"The Doctor" is just about a correct answer, having been referred
to as "The Doctor", "Doctor Who" and (in the TV Movie) "Old
Doctor". However, in general, changes of title or rank only were not
sufficient. Gulliver is credited as "A Stranger" in episode one of
The Mind Robber and Hallett is named as both "Grenville" and
"Enzu" in the titles of Terror of the Vervoids. Susan Engel
however, is only credited as Vivien Fay in The Stones of Blood, and
similarly Maurice Denham is only credited as playing "Edgeworth".

I was very tempted to rule K'anpo Rimpoche / Cho-Je wrong on the
basis that they may be the same person, but they are clearly different
characters, but on reflection decided that - while such a definition
of character may be defensible - it wasn't fair to rely on it where
it hadn't been specified in the question.

The * answer appeared to be two answers to question 3 (I have no idea
why) and the ~ answer was "Sarah Jane Smith / Sarah Smith" which is
wrong.

2. Name a story which features no alien characters other than The
Doctor.

6 The Highlanders
4 Doctor Who and the Silurians
2 The Smugglers
2 The Myth Makers
2 The War Machines
2 Invasion of the Dinosaurs
1 Black Orchid
1 The Space Pirates
1 The Reign of Terror
1 The Masque of Mandragora
1 Robot ~
1 Father's Day
1 Marco Polo
1 The Enemy of the World
1 The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances
Wrong
1 The Green Death (Metebelis III)
1 The Sea Devils (The Master)

The "obvious" answer here is a 60s historical and nobody was
foolish enough to suggest one featuring Susan. Many people thought that
they'd be sneaky and pick a Pertwee story with earthly monsters,
hence a strong showing for The Silurians. Of course, you have to steer
clear of The Master if you're going to do that.

The Reapers escape definition as characters and so Father's Day
scrapes in, but the spear-chucking natives of Metebelis III discount
The Green Death, I'm afraid.

The * answer was The Edge of Destruction (wrong).

Correct answers that were not given include The Romans, The Crusade,
The Massacre, The Gunfighters, The Underwater Menace, Spearhead from
Space, The Girl in the Fireplace (just about) and Rise of the Cybermen
/ The Age of Steel (unless you want to argue that alternate Earth is an
alien planet). I don't think that any Sixth or Seventh Doctor stories
qualify. Why The Highlanders did so "well", with all these others
to choose from, I cannot say.

Interestingly, The Enemy of the World, which turned out to be a poor
answer (or the basis for a poor answer) to questions 3 and 4, was a
great answer to this question. Alas, the one entrant who submitted it
also used it for 3 and 4!

3. Some regular or recurring characters have met their identical
doubles. Name one of these doubles.

8 Salamander
4 Princess Strella
2 Ricky Smith
2 Ann Talbot
2 Omega
1 Kamelion
1 Marius's cloned Doctor
1 The Abbot of Amboise
Wrong
3 Romana / Princess Strella
1 Jo Grant (herself, not a double)
1 Mickey / Ricky
1 Nyssa / Ann
1 Jo Grant (it's her, not a double)
1 Vicki (herself, not a double)

This was the possibly the hardest question to mark fairly. Entrants
were asked to name the double of a regular character. Hence "Ann
Talbot" is a correct answer, but "Nyssa" is not. How then am I to
mark someone who submits the answer "Nyssa / Ann"? Rule 3 provides
the answer: "...alternate answers within an entry will not be

accepted. Only the first answer that you intentionally submit

counts." Ergo "Nyssa / Ann" is taken to mean "Nyssa" and is
therefore wrong, whereas "Ann Talbot / Nyssa" is taken to mean
"Ann Talbot" which is correct. This affected five entrants.

This strict interpretation of rule 3 did also create a correct answer
to question 1! The entrant who submitted "Doctor Who/ Salemander (in
Enemy of the World)" was deemed to have answered "The Doctor",
which is a correct answer, albeit likely not for the reasons the
entrant may have intended. In the interests of fairness, however, I
think I need to avoid trying to guess reasons or intentions and simply
go by what is written. I am considering highlighting this rule further
for DWRE3 and would be interested to hear views.

Less controversially (I hope), Jo Grant is a wrong answer since she saw
herself, not her double, in Day of the Daleks and the same is true of
Vicki in The Space Museum. If I let these in, I might have to accept
any character who looked in a mirror!

Correct answers not given include Meglos, Robot Doctor Who, Android
Doctor, Android Sarah, and (at a push) Xoanon. You never know, on a
good day I might even have marked "Maxil" and "Princess Astra"
correct, but nobody tried me. Doubles of the Fifth Doctor and Peri were
created by Sharaz Jek, but they never "met" their flesh-and-blood
counterparts (as far as we know).

Presumably question 3 and 4 reinforced each other which explains why
eight people went for Salamander and only 1 for The Abbot. Or maybe
this is because one episode of Troughton's performance is still in
existence and nothing remains of Hartnell's dual role. The absence of
Meglos I did find suprising, as the "Prickly Tom" photo was
everywhere in the early 80s. A waxwork version was even in Madame
Tussaud's for a while.

The * answer was "The Docdtor - Android double Android Invasion"
which was "rule 3 wrong" and the ~ answer was "Brigadier" which
is just plain old-fashioned "wrong" wrong (although he did meet a
younger/older version of himself).

4. Name a Target novelisation of a "Doctor Who" story written

neither by Terrance Dicks, nor the original, credited author of the
televised story on which it was based.

4 The Enemy of the World (book Ian Marter, script David Whitaker)
2 The Seeds of Doom ~ (book Philip Hinchcliffe, script Robert Banks
Stewart)
2 The Reign of Terror (book Ian Marter, script Dennis Spooner)
2 The Green Death (book Malcolm Hulke, script Robert Sloman)
2 The Daemons (book Barry Letts, script "Guy Leopold" = Letts
and Robert Sloman)
2 The Ark in Space * (book Ian Marter, script Robert Holmes)
2 The Edge of Destruction (book Nigel Robinson, script David
Whitaker)
1 The Sontaran Experiment (book Ian Marter, script Bob Baker and
Dave Martin)
1 The Celestial Toymaker (book Gerry Davis and Alison Bingeman,
script Brian Hayles)
1 The Power of the Daleks (book John Peel, script David Whitaker)
1 The Chase (book John Peel, script Terry Nation)
1 The Sensorites (book Nigel Robinson, script Peter R Newman)
1 The Romans (book Donald Cotton, script Dennis Spooner)
1 The Twin Dilemma (book Eric Saward, script Anthony Steven)
1 The Ribos Operation (book Ian Marter, script Robert Holmes)
1 Earthshock (book Ian Marter, script Eric Saward)
1 The Keys of Marinus (book Philip Hinchcliffe, script Terry Nation)
Wrong
2 Warriors' Gate (same author)
1 Terminus (same author)

Lots of Ian Marter, Philip Hinchcliffe and Nigel Robinson fun to be had
here. The Enemy of The World effect is still making itself felt -
it's the only answer here which scores worse than 2. The Daemons is
borderline, since Guy Leopold is a pseudonym for Barry Letts and Robert
Sloman, and Letts wrote the book, but I eventually decided that
"Letts and Sloman" was a different author from "Letts" and let
it through. Stephen Gallagher fans don't have it so easy though:
Gallagher wrote scripts and novels for Warriors' Gate and Terminus.
That he used a pseudonym for the novels doesn't change the fact that
the novels were written by the original credited author of the
televised story. I think all the rest are uncontroversial.

Correct answers not given include The Daleks, Attack of the Cybermen,
The Dominators, The Invasion, Mission to the Unknown, The Mutation of
Time, The Underwater Menace, The Masque of Mandragora and Battlefield
(which I thought would be a popular answer).

5. Name one unique feature of The Deadly Assassin. Your answer should
complete the sentence: "It is the only story which..."

4 Has Peter Pratt playing The Master
2 Features Runcible / a character named Runcible
2 Opens with scrolling text
2 Had its first episode premiered on 30 October
>>> 1 Was shown on BBC1 between 30th October 1976 and
20th November 1976
1 Has the Doctor getting his foot trapped in narrow-guage railway
points at the end of episode two
1 The Doctor's foot is caught in virtual railway tracks
1 Has two cliffhangers end on a freeze frame
1 Features a miniature railway as a weapon
1 Borusa is a Cardinal
1 Features the earliest incarnation of Borusa
1 Starts with a voice over by Tom Baker
1 Features on-screen death of Bernard Horsfall
1 Featured the Doctor with no companions *~
1 Contains 'Deadly' and 'Assassin' in title
1 Informs us that vaporisation without representation is against the
constitution
1 Censored by BBC after complaint from Mary Whitehouse
1 Has the production code 4P
1 Has Joan Ellacott doing the costumes
1 We don't see the eyes of the actor playing The Master
1 Features co-ordinator Elgin
Wrong
1 Starts with a voice over (TVM)
1 Has no on-screen female characters (Mission to the Unknown)
1 No female actor appears on-screen (Mission to the Unknown)

This was partly a test of entrants' ingenuity, since with a bit of
thought it should be possible to dredge up an obscure unique feature of
almost any story, and for a long time the answers here were very
"flat", but there was a sudden rush of support for Peter Pratt in
the final hours.

There were some other collisions. Both * and ~ answers were "The
Doctor and no companions", which was duplicated by a third entrant.
Scrolling text, voice-overs and railway tracks also featured a lot. The
three "railway track" entrants just managed to separate themselves
from each other; any closer and we'd have at least been in "more
specific variant" territory. One entrant's answer read "It is the
only story which in the original TV series, starts with a voice
over". If this was an attempt to exclude the TV Movie (which also
starts with a voice over), then it was not successful. Many entrants
failed to adhere to the instruction to complete the sentence "It is
the only story which..." but in general this was not enough to earn a
wrong answer penalty.

Alas, "...has no on-screen female characters" is wrong on two
counts. Helen Blatch provides the computer voice, but even if you
don't count that as "on-screen", Mission to the Unknown has no
female characters either.

6. Name a fictional device, self-contained and serving a particular
purpose (rather than a component of something larger), which has been
seen in The Doctor's possession.

2 Ganame Driver = Ganymede Driver (The Hand of Fear)
2 Sonic screwdriver *
2 Etheric Beam Locator (Genesis of the Daleks)
2 Stattenheim Remote Control (The Two Doctors)
2 Reacting vibrator (The Savages)
2 Rhondium Sensor (The Time Warrior)
1 Tribophysical waveform macrokinetic extrapolator (Boom Town)
1 The Whomobile (Invasion of the Dinosaurs, Planet of the Spiders)
1 Galactic Glitter (Brain of Morbius)
1 Psychic Paper
1 The Isoptope (The Web Planet)
1 Sonic lance (ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN)
1 Delta wave augmenter (Kinda)
1 Matter converter gun (Arc of Infinity)
1 Nanogenes (The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances)
1 Time Sensor (The Time Monster)
1 Deep Healing Beam (The Twin Dilemma)
1 The Nemesis Statue (Silver Nemesis)
1 Travel Dials (Keys of Marinus)
1 Tardis key
Wrong
2 Blue crystal (not a device)
1 A galactic passport (not a device)

As one entrant commented, this all hinges on what is and is not a
"device" and what is and is not "possession". After some
thought, I decided that the Nemesis Statue has been in the Doctor's
possession (he does program it, after all), and that a Galactic Glitter
was a "device" (it's also fictional - there is no such firework
- or it would have been judged wrong on that score). However neither
a crystal nor a passport really make the grade. The nanogenes just
squeak in - they are at least technological. Recently released
Genesis of the Daleks and recently referenced The Hand of Fear were
fertile sources for inspiration. The ~ answer was K9, which would have
been correct. I was surprised at the number of 2 scores to this
question. There must be a couple of hundred correct answers!!

7. Name one of the producers of "Doctor Who".

7 Phil Collinson
6 Innes Lloyd
2 Peter V Ware
2 Graham Williams
2 Philip Hinchcliffe
2 Barry Letts
2 Derrick Sherwin
2 John Nathan-Turner
1 Mal Young
1 Philip Segal
1 Peter Bryant
1 Verity Lambert *

I only specified producer, not someone carrying the exact title of
"Producer", so Executive Producers and the like were all fair game,
although few took advantage of this. Peter V Ware was a producer on the
TV Movie and Mal Young was the BBC Executive who got an Executive
Producer credit on Series One (2005).

In a reverse of the pattern in DWRE1 - where the Russell T Davies
Doctors were not given as answers by anyone - Phil Collinson is the
most popular answer, although Julie Gardner is absent entirely. Innes
Lloyd, evidently an archetypal obscure producer is in second, with
no-one else scoring worse than 2. John Wiles, Verity Lambert's
successor, was not named by anyone, nor was Alex Beaton who took a
producer credit on the TV Movie.

The ~ answer was "Russell T Davis" which, despite the misspelling,
would have been correct. The * answer was to name 12 individuals who
have held that post, in chronological order. This would have been taken
to mean "Verity Lambert".

8. Name a television drama or comedy programme, transmitted in the UK
on a mainstream channel prior to the first posting of this competition,

which has, over the course of its run, featured at least two of the 10

official actors to have played The Doctor in credited, speaking roles.

6 Doctor Who
3 Hollyoaks (C Baker, McCoy)
3 Jonathan Creek (Davison, C Baker)
3 The Goodies (Troughton, Pertwee)
2 Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) (T Baker, Tennant)
2 Z-Cars (Troughton, T Baker)
2 All Creatures Great and Small (Davison, Troughton) ~
1 Rab C Nesbitt (McCoy, Tennant)
1 The Bill (McCoy, Tennant)
1 Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (Pertwee, C Baker)
1 Casualty (C Baker, McCoy)
1 Softly, Softly (Hartnell, Troughton)
1 Swallows and Amazons Forever
1 Mrs Bradley Mysteries (Davison, Tennant)
Wrong
1 This is Your Life (not a drama or comedy)

Yes "Doctor Who" was a correct answer, in fact it was the trap
answer, snaring six entrants.

I researched this question before the contest began, and so most
answers were easy to mark. One exception was "The Young Indiana Jones
Chronicles". This show completed its run with a series of one-off TV
movies, one of which was called "Attack of the Hawkmen" and
featured Jon Pertwee (Colin Baker had appeared in one of the regular
hour-long episodes). As this film was never shown on a mainstream
channel in the UK, and as reference works differ as to whether it is
part of the series or not, I initially disallowed it. However, the
entrant pointed out that the wording of my question doesn't require
the specific episode(s) featuring the Official Ten to have been
broadcast in the UK, and so I have - grudgingly - allowed it.

The * answer was "Does 'Withnail and I' count?" No, it
doesn't.

Correct answers not given included Inspector Morse, Play for Today,
Poirot, The Flying Doctor(!), Thirty Minute Theatre and Warship. No,
you look them up. ;-)

9. Name one of the ten actors who have officially played The Doctor.

5 Patrick Troughton
4 Colin Baker
4 Tom Baker
4 Christopher Eccleston
3 William Hartnell *
3 Peter Davison
2 Jon Pertwee
2 Sylvester McCoy
2 David Tennant

The ~ answer was Paul McGann, who wasn't named by anybody else this
time, having been the second most popular choice last time around. No
surprise to see Davison near the bottom of the list this time, as
almost 25% went for him last time. Eccleston and Tennant appear at
last. No-one else was missing from the list. This was the only question
for which nobody scored a "1".

For comparison, here is the list from DWRE1

11 Peter Davison
7 Paul McGann
5 Jon Pertwee
5 Tom Baker
5 William Hartnell
4 Sylvester McCoy
4 Patrick Troughton
1 Colin Baker

DWRE3 will appear in a few days time.

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 23, 2006, 8:41:05 AM6/23/06
"Robot" is of course a wrong answer to question 2 (due to the
appearance of Cho-Je at the beginning), but other than for the entrant
who submitted it, there are no changes to the score table.

Sorry about the error.

Cheers

Tom

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 23, 2006, 10:11:14 AM6/23/06
And nor is "Black Orchid" a correct answer to that question.

Shannon Patrick Sullivan

Jun 23, 2006, 2:46:36 PM6/23/06
Somewhere in time and space, tomsa...@googlemail.com said:

> 2. Name a story which features no alien characters other than The
> Doctor.

> 1 Marco Polo

> The "obvious" answer here is a 60s historical and nobody was
> foolish enough to suggest one featuring Susan.

... except for this one.

Shannon

--
| Shannon Patrick Sullivan \-/ sha...@mun.ca |
|--------\ Available June 2006 from Creative Book Publishing /--------|

tomsa...@googlemail.com

Jun 26, 2006, 9:56:15 AM6/26/06
Here are my final rulings and the updated scoresheet for DWRE2

Devices: Do not include passports and crystals. My earlier ruling
STANDS.
Aliens: The following stories all include alien companions and are
disallowed as correct answers: Black Orchid, The Reign of Terror, Marco
Polo. However, since Robot picks up from Planet of the Spiders after
Cho-Je disappears, he cannot be said to "feature" and so Robot is a
correct answer.
Doubles: The Abbot of Amboise never actually met The Doctor, so this is
an incorrect answer. I am satisfied that my wording was sufficiently
clear in my intent to disallow characters meeting themselves as correct
answers and so these answers remain incorrect.
Producers: I am satisfied that my wording was sufficiently clear in my
intent to admit those who performed producing duties of some sort but
held a title other than that of simply "producer" and so these answers
remain correct.

Below is the corrected scoretable. There are no changes in the top 10.

RANK SCORE ENTRANT Q0 Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9

1 576 Nathanthewhovian 2 1 WR 2 4 1 1 1 1 3
2 1,728 Rob_C 9 1 1 2 2 1 2 2 3 4
3 1,792 JesseS 1 1 4 4 1 2 2 7 1 4
4 2,016 wilf 2 3 6 2 1 1 1 7 2 2
5 3,072 Darkstar 4 2 2 2 4 2 WR 1 1 2
6 4,320 Simon Kinnear 9 4 2 2 1 1 1 2 3 5
7 4,704 Luke Curtis 7 1 4 1 2 1 1 7 3 4
8 9,600 Marnok 4 5 1 WR 1 1 1 2 3 5
9 10,368 solar.penguin 9 2 4 1 1 1 1 6 6 4

10 10,752 Fortmap 7 4 2 8 1 1 2 1 3 4
= 10,752 btn 7 1 2 WR 2 1 1 2 3 4

12 12,096 chriskelk 9 2 1 2 2 WR 1 7 1 3
13 13,824 Jonathan Morris 2 3 1 WR 2 WR 1 1 3 3

14 18,432 genesisrockz 4 1 6 8 2 1 2 2 6 2
15 21,504 Cyril Washbrook 7 4 2 8 2 1 2 2 2 3
16 23,040 John Dorney 2 3 1 8 4 1 2 2 6 5
17 32,256 Robot Porter 9 4 1 4 2 4 1 7 2 2
18 40,320 Beyondthevoid 9 5 2 8 1 1 1 7 2 4
19 55,296 Neil Toynay 9 1 4 8 WR 1 WR 2 1 2
20 61,440 Paul B Arthur 2 WR 2 WR 1 2 2 6 1 4
21 141,120 alboreto 7 5 6 WR 1 1 2 7 1 3
22 184,320 sontaran 2 WR 6 4 WR 1 1 2 6 4
= 184,320 cols123 1 WR WR WR 1 1 2 6 2 4
24 491,520 Aloysious 1 WR 2 8 WR 4 2 2 WR 2
25 497,664 yohinnchild 9 2 6 WR 2 1 2 6 3 4
26 921,600 Professor 4 WR 6 8 2 4 1 2 6 5
27 967,680 Andrew Lowrie 7 5 WR 4 2 4 1 6 3 4
28 6,451,200 Trevor Gensch 7 5 WR WR 4 2 2 2 6 5
29 59,719,680 artyclarty 9 WR WR WR 2 WR WR 6 2 3

Cheers

Tom
tomsa...@googlemail.com