Is the ink they stamp you with waterproof (Disneyland)

Denise Caire

Apr 15, 1991, 1:02:14 PM4/15/91
We were thinking about leaving Disneyland in the afternoon, going
for a swim, and coming back later. In talking to someone about this,
they wondered if the ink would still be visible under the UV light after
swimming. (You get stamped at the front gate when you are admitted.)
Anyone know? Thanks, Denise Caire

Scott Burris

Apr 15, 1991, 2:45:22 PM4/15/91

Yes, the hand stamp is alcohol based. It won't wash or sweat off.
It is possible to rub it off, but it's not likely over the course of
a day. However, don't use those little handiwipes like you keep in a car.
They are mostly alcohol and will strip the handstamp right off.

How do I know all of this? Well I used to have an annual pass for
several years (until I bought a house close to 2 hours away from Disneyland)
and since you are always hand stamped as you enter the park, I had ample
opportunity to play with the stuff. Just hope its not very toxic :-)

--
----------
Scott Burris

Scott Coffeen

Apr 15, 1991, 9:04:11 PM4/15/91

I went to Disney World (Florida) about 3 years ago so this may not be
correct now but when I went, they stamped me with that ink and it didn't wash
off for about a week! Now, I don't know about using a moist towelett thing
but with soap and water, forget it! I guess since you can't see it and
they don't need people complaining about "hey but I washed it off...", they
make it stay. I wonder if it's dated becuase you could go back the next day
and get in free! The ink is viewable under a "blacklight" (sp?). That's the
machine they have there that you put your hand under. (I know becuase when I
went home (a week later) I turned it on and saw this glowing blur on my hand)!

--
Scott Coffeen
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4609c

Ted Ying

Apr 15, 1991, 6:07:41 PM4/15/91
In article <56...@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> den...@dadla.WR.TEK.COM (Denise Caire) writes:
Well, the ink they use for the hand stamp is not water-based so you
are safe on that point. They are designed to last through hand-
washing, etc. But, do *NOT* use moist towelettes (or baby wipes) or
anything else with alcohol in them or the ink will rub off.

Just a point of information, in the Orlando parks, they don't stamp
your hand when you go in. When you leave, if you are intending to go
into any of the parks, you are supposed to leave through one of the
EXIT AND RETURN exits and there they will stamp your hand. So if for
some reason, you are inside the park and decide to use a moist
towelette or something, you don't have to worry. You can get your
hand stamped again on your way out.

Also, remember, not to get your tickets too wet. I've found that on
hot summer days, after a lot of sweat and moisture (and accidentally
getting dropped in the fountain, etc), the inkstamp for the date on
the ticket can be smudged...if this is the case, make sure that they
try and restamp the current date on the ticket on your way out...
the gate people sometimes grumble if you show them a ticket with a
blurred date on it.

How do I know all this? My parents live in Orlando and I go to
WDW and EPCOT at least once a year (probably about 8 years now).
Since Mom is a bit bored with the attractions over and over again
(she likes to go once every 5 years or so...such that the
attractions have changed significantly and there are new things)
I get to take many of their friends and guests on the tourist
rounds...which many times includes Disney...hey...I don't complain
Mom buys the tickets that way! :-)

Ted Ying t...@welch.jhu.edu

#include <std.disclaimer.h>

Tommy Thrush: "Oh no! Mudman has been buried alive!"
Captain Buffalo: "Don't worry, Tommy. When evil threatens; good
will always rise up to throw mud in its face. Besides,
there's his trusty sidekick, Squirt, arriving with a
firehose."
Tommy: "Wow! Look at him now. Mudman, he's the TOPS! Makes
monkeys out of COPS! Mud-maaaan! ..."

Ted Ying

Apr 16, 1991, 2:40:22 PM4/16/91
In article <26...@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4...@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Coffeen) writes:
>I wonder if it's dated becuase you could go back the next day
>and get in free! The ink is viewable under a "blacklight" (sp?).

No. The stamps are not dated. However, they do ask you to show
a ticket with the current day's date stamped on it in addition to
asking for the UV light stamp.

And as multiple people have mentioned, all you need do is use
*alcohol* instead of water/soap to wash it off. Alcohol is used
in those moist towelettes.

Andy Michael USGS Guest

Apr 15, 1991, 9:07:43 PM4/15/91
In article <56...@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> den...@dadla.WR.TEK.COM (Denise Caire) writes:

First off its a good idea to take a rest in the afternoon, especially
with small children. We did exactly what you propose last summer with
one of our nieces and had no problem with the stamp. BTW, you actually
get stamped when you leave and say you want to come back (I think you
have to go through a special gate on the way out.) As a word of caution
we were careful not to scrub the back of our hands too much after
swimming lest it come off somehow.

Have fun,
Andy

Ronald Azuma

Apr 16, 1991, 12:49:17 PM4/16/91
In article <26...@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4...@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Coffeen) writes:
>I wonder if it's dated becuase you could go back the next day
>and get in free! The ink is viewable under a "blacklight" (sp?).

I don't know what dating system is currently used, but several
years ago when going back into Disneyland after getting my hand stamped, I
took a look at my hand under the "blacklight" and saw a picture of a Disney
character (Pluto or somebody, I don't recall exactly which one). They must
change the character daily on a rotating schedule, because as I reentered the
park the guards had stopped someone else from reentering. His hand stamp had
the wrong character, and the guards were telling him "that stamp is three
days old -- who are you trying to fool?"

Ron Azuma
(az...@cs.unc.edu)

The Silly Wench

Apr 16, 1991, 12:57:58 PM4/16/91
In article <56...@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> den...@dadla.WR.TEK.COM (Denise Caire) writes:

Well, my roommate and I were at WDW over spring break, and did just that...
We went to the park, got stamped, left to head over to Typhoon Lagoon
and then went back to Epcot later....the stamp seemed to be just fine.
I wouldnt want to attack it with soap and still expect it to be there,
but getting it wet didnt seem to have much effect.

-Jess Gordon