Why does Pocahontas speak English?

Gregory Norz

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
Li-Chueng A Fong (fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu) wrote:
: I don't know if anyone asked this or not, but why is she speaking English? If
: I have my history right, Columbus came in 1492 and spoke Italian; Cortez and
: all those other conquistadores spoke Spanish and John Smith came when the first
: English colony came to America. Did the Pilgrims teach them English? Or am I
: off in history and the Pilgrims didn't come before John Smith?

: Why is she speaking English to her father? If the father hates white people,
: why is he speaking the "white man's language"? Or is it just that Disney
: didn't want to put subtitles in this film? ;)

: BTW, I hope that when Colors of the Wind is nominated for an Oscar, Judy Kuhn
: sings the movie version, and not Vanessa Williams with the pop version. Anyone

: else agree?

While adults of course go and see these movies, they are geared towards small
children (at least, IMHO). When I went to see TLK, I would seriously doubt if
any of the kids in the audience could read yet. Thus, subtitles would be self-
defeating. And as far as history goes, if I remember correctly, John Smith
taught Poca English and Poca taught Smith her language. If I'm wrong, just
correct me.

greg

Steve C. Liu

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
Why doesn't Belle speak French?
Why do these lions speak at all?
Because some people don't like watching subtitles or can't read them.
So, if you're swimming in the sea one day | Steve C. Liu - The Pi Club
And a pretty little mermaid wants to play | adm...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
We bet you'll know her right away | Princess Aurora's #1 Fan
There's only one Ariel | Arielholics Anonymous Pres.
This sig has been brought to you by... Frungy! The Sport of Kings!

magus

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
In article <3sc86m$u...@galaxy.ucr.edu>, fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu (Li-Chueng A
Fong) wrote:

> I don't know if anyone asked this or not, but why is she speaking
English? If
> I have my history right, Columbus came in 1492 and spoke Italian; Cortez and
> all those other conquistadores spoke Spanish and John Smith came when
the first
> English colony came to America. Did the Pilgrims teach them English?
Or am I
> off in history and the Pilgrims didn't come before John Smith?
>
> Why is she speaking English to her father? If the father hates white
people,
> why is he speaking the "white man's language"? Or is it just that Disney
> didn't want to put subtitles in this film? ;)
>
> BTW, I hope that when Colors of the Wind is nominated for an Oscar, Judy
Kuhn
> sings the movie version, and not Vanessa Williams with the pop version.
Anyone
> else agree?

*Laugh* Totally agree with you!

Every watch the TV show, Dr. Who? He goes all over time and space and yet
everyone speaks English. Why? Simple, it's a "time lord gift which I share
with others around me."

Seriously though: Disney's excuse would probably be that young kids
wouldn't be able to follow subtitles.

Li-Chueng A Fong

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95

Stephanie da Silva

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In article <3sd60i$t...@news.gate.net>, L.A. <sun...@gate.net> wrote:

>That's like asking how it is everyone in Star Trek, no matter what the
>race, always spoke english (at least 90% of the time). It's designed for
>an American audience, so subtitling it just to remain historic is really
>not very practical.

Except in Star Trek, they used universal translators.

Zeerob

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In the Movie when they first meet, she doesn't understand him.
Then as he's talking she here's the tree telling her to, "Listen with your
heart, you will understand". After that she "magically" kind of
understands and speaks english but they do have her trying to find the
meaning of certain words.

Lori Coulson

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
Li-Chueng A Fong (fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu) wrote:
: I don't know if anyone asked this or not, but why is she speaking English? If
: I have my history right, Columbus came in 1492 and spoke Italian; Cortez and
: all those other conquistadores spoke Spanish and John Smith came when the first
: English colony came to America. Did the Pilgrims teach them English? Or am I
: off in history and the Pilgrims didn't come before John Smith?

First, John Smith was not the first Englishman to visit North America, I
believe Sir Walter Raleigh was (or possibly even Sir Francis Drake). The
first colony was the Roanoke Colony a/k/a "The Lost Colony" home of the
first English child born in North America "Virginia Dare". This colony
was not successful. Second English colony was Jamestown in 1607. The
Pilgrims were third(!) not first and they arrived in 1620....seems their
navigator couldn't find Chesapeake Bay....which is how they ended up in
what became Massachusetts.

--
Lori R. Coulson Zone 5
* Darkness stirs, and wakes imagination... *

Robert Briggs

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
On 22 Jun 1995 17:10:46 GMT Li-Chueng A Fong (fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu) wrote:
> I don't know if anyone asked this or not, but why is she speaking English? If
> I have my history right, Columbus came in 1492 and spoke Italian; Cortez and
> all those other conquistadores spoke Spanish and John Smith came when the first
> English colony came to America. Did the Pilgrims teach them English? Or am I
> off in history and the Pilgrims didn't come before John Smith?

The reason the tribe speaks English is because if they had to put in the
movie the laborious process of learning each other's languages, the movie
would have been five hours long.

-Rob
--
**** Robert A. Briggs Glendale, CA rbr...@netcom.com ****
**** FDC Walkaround Ludwig Von Drake ****

L.A.

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
Li-Chueng A Fong (fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu) wrote:
: Why is she speaking English to her father? If the father hates white people,
: why is he speaking the "white man's language"? Or is it just that Disney
: didn't want to put subtitles in this film? ;)

That's like asking how it is everyone in Star Trek, no matter what the

race, always spoke english (at least 90% of the time). It's designed for
an American audience, so subtitling it just to remain historic is really
not very practical.

: BTW, I hope that when Colors of the Wind is nominated for an Oscar, Judy Kuhn

: sings the movie version, and not Vanessa Williams with the pop version. Anyone
: else agree?

I really haven't heard the complete Judy Kuhn version, but I have seen
the pop version and it is not very good (and I'm a big Vanessa Williams
fan). My problem with Colors of the Wind is that it doesn't flow as
nicely from measure to measure as Menken's previous songs (Beauty and the
Beast, Part of Your World, A Whole New World).

---- sun...@gate.net ------------------------- FDC Walkaround Jafar ----
Cable Movie Guide: http://turnpike.net/emporium/W/wto/tvguide.html
Movie Listings by Week * 24 Hours a Day * Home of FREE Long term Ads.

TiggerJMD

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
I would certainly hope that Judy Kuhn's version of "Colors" would be
nominated for an Oscar over Vanessa Williams' :)

lew...@yvax.byu.edu

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In article <3sc86m$u...@galaxy.ucr.edu>, fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu (Li-Chueng A Fong) writes:
> I don't know if anyone asked this or not, but why is she speaking English? If
> I have my history right, Columbus came in 1492 and spoke Italian; Cortez and
> all those other conquistadores spoke Spanish and John Smith came when the first
> English colony came to America. Did the Pilgrims teach them English? Or am I
> off in history and the Pilgrims didn't come before John Smith?
>
> Why is she speaking English to her father? If the father hates white people,
> why is he speaking the "white man's language"? Or is it just that Disney
> didn't want to put subtitles in this film? ;)
>
> BTW, I hope that when Colors of the Wind is nominated for an Oscar, Judy Kuhn
> sings the movie version, and not Vanessa Williams with the pop version. Anyone
> else agree?

duh.

It was a cartoon dangit! You spend too much time hanging out in the
international section of Blockbuster... Why am i typing in english? I don't
know.. maybe it is because i am communicating with someone else who speaks
english? Perhaps if you remember that Pocahontas is NOT a live documentary
you will understand that the movie was designed to communicate in an
entertaining way between the storyteller (disney) and you and I and everyone
else who speaks english...

...Bennett...

"I can't wait until the 20 hour directors cut mega-series that goes into
detail about how she learned english from john..."

Robert Hubby

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
If you want to see someone make fun of the "Everyone speaks English"
convention, watch the beginning of Mel Brooks' "To Be or Not To Be." Those
first few minutes of Brooks speaking polish are hilarious!

R.A.H. Elf of the redwoods, Sonoma Valley, Breakfast Cereal Country.
"Hello, can we have your liver?" - Organ Transplant Collector sketch
(Monty Python)

KEVIN D. CHRISTENSEN

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
In article <3sc86m$u...@galaxy.ucr.edu>, fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu (Li-Chueng A Fong) writes...

>I don't know if anyone asked this or not, but why is she speaking English? If
>I have my history right, Columbus came in 1492 and spoke Italian; Cortez and
>all those other conquistadores spoke Spanish and John Smith came when the first
>English colony came to America. Did the Pilgrims teach them English? Or am I
>off in history and the Pilgrims didn't come before John Smith?
>
>Why is she speaking English to her father? If the father hates white people,
>why is he speaking the "white man's language"? Or is it just that Disney
>didn't want to put subtitles in this film? ;)
>
>BTW, I hope that when Colors of the Wind is nominated for an Oscar, Judy Kuhn
>sings the movie version, and not Vanessa Williams with the pop version. Anyone
>else agree?

Why does everyone speak English on Star Trek? It would have been a mess for
Disney to get THAT detailed and mess with subtitles, etc.. Pocahontas can
understand John Smith because she is 'listening with her heart', which aside
from putting a babel fish in your ear is the best way I've seen someone pick
up a new language. Disney did include a fair amount of Indian dialect in the
movie; I think it worked pretty well all in all.

And we are fooling ourselves if we think anyone other than Vanessa "Forget
Penthouse" Williams is going to be chosen for the Oscar. They may nominate
Judy's version, as Angela Lansbury's B&tB was (i think...hazy memory...).
But it will be sad if it wins. Judy's version is a heck of a lot better. And,
we'll get to hear Vanessa sing at the awards, for sure. Let's hope they do a
better job with presenting the Disney songs than they did with Circle of Life,
Hakuna Matata, Beauty and the Beast, Friend Like Me, etc etc etc.

K...@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM KEVIN CHRISTENSEN
Disney Nut * Star Wars Afficionado * REO #1 FAN * Go Patriots in 1995 * D'oh!!
'I like to reminisce with people I don't know... Granted it takes longer... SW

Phantom015

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
In article <DAnLC...@world.std.com>, cw...@world.std.com (Christopher
Wong) writes:

>I think the Disney folks had their tongues firmly planted in cheek
>when they had Pocahontas suddenly speak English. Notice: she was
>initially incomprehensible to John Smith. Then came some magic stuff
>and ... perfect English. Notice the racoon's jaw going to the floor?
>The animators *knew* how ridiculous this was.
>
>It puzzles me how one can complain about unrealism in a movie that
>features a talking tree, an attacking humming bird and humans that
>break into song every few minutes.

I myself, like the movie. However, one must ask the question:

If Disney did an animated feature about the Holocaust, and rewrote it so
that the Jews ended up makeing friends with the Nazis, would it be looked
apon favorably? Yes, I know, this is stretching it. But, in real life,
the indians of Poca's tribe ended up getting slaughtered. (Or so the
ticked off people on TV say). To suddenly say that the made up and got
along at the end seems to have the effect of eraseing their deaths, and
whittleing away at what really happened.

Just an opinion.

-Ryan

(sig temporarily gone due to another great idea that only occurs at about
3AM such as "lets swap out my motherboard!". I'm sure my hard drive will
forgive me.)

Paul McKenna

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
In <3sc86m$u...@galaxy.ucr.edu> fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu (Li-Chueng A Fong)
writes:

>I don't know if anyone asked this or not, but why is she speaking
English? If
>I have my history right, Columbus came in 1492 and spoke Italian;
Cortez and
>all those other conquistadores spoke Spanish and John Smith came when
the first
>English colony came to America. Did the Pilgrims teach them English?
Or am I
>off in history and the Pilgrims didn't come before John Smith?
>
>Why is she speaking English to her father? If the father hates white
people,
>why is he speaking the "white man's language"? Or is it just that
Disney
>didn't want to put subtitles in this film? ;)
>
>BTW, I hope that when Colors of the Wind is nominated for an Oscar,
Judy Kuhn
>sings the movie version, and not Vanessa Williams with the pop
version. Anyone
>else agree?

Why did Heston's Moses speak English? Or Liz's Cleopatra? Why did
Colonel Klink speak in English to General Burkhalter? Who else speaks
English? Hercules, Jesus, Jason and his Argonauts, Nero, Yoda, and
countless others depicted in films, both fictional and 'historical',
who couldn't possibly know English. It's simply a movie convention, a
tool, a method to convey what is MEANT as opposed to the exact language
that may have been used. In Beauty and the Beast, everyone speaks
English, although it takes place in France. Rest assured that
Quasimoto will speak English as well. You can buy a Spanish language
version of many Disney films, including Beauty and the Beast and ''Tres
Caballeros''. Belle is speaking Spanish!

As far as the pop version of Colors, just heard it tonight for the
first time, at the end of Pocahontas, and boy, did Williams version
STINK! P. U. !!!!!!

Kina Rutman

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
>Li-Chueng A Fong (fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu) wrote:
>: I don't know if anyone asked this or not, but why is she speaking English? If

I thought they did an o.k. job of covering this in the movie. Powhatan's
tribe starts with a few lines in their language, then they switch to
English so the audience can understand. Very similar to what was done
in "Hunt For Red October" so we didn't have Russian sub-titles for the
whole movie.

As far as Pocahontas in particular understanding Smith

SPOILER WARNING

Poca. has already been told to "listen with her heart" prior to
meeting J.S. When they meet, they do not understand each other.
The voice of the wind floats around Poca; she holds her hand
over her heart, maybe closes her eyes (I don't remember), and
when J.S. speaks again, she understands.

Que que na-to-ra
you will understand

I accepted it as a quickie explanation. Magic!

--
"When things are blackest, I just tell myself 'cheer up,
things could be worse!' And sure enough, they get worse!" --Skeeve

Kina Rutman ki...@manicmoose.com

Don Chang

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
In <24JUN199...@alpha.sunquest.com> k...@alpha.sunquest.com (KEVIN

D. CHRISTENSEN) writes:

>In article <3sc86m$u...@galaxy.ucr.edu>, fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu
(Li-Chueng A Fong) writes...
[snip]

>>BTW, I hope that when Colors of the Wind is nominated for an Oscar,
Judy Kuhn
>>sings the movie version, and not Vanessa Williams with the pop
version. Anyone
>>else agree?
[snip]

>And we are fooling ourselves if we think anyone other than Vanessa
"Forget
>Penthouse" Williams is going to be chosen for the Oscar. They may
nominate
>Judy's version, as Angela Lansbury's B&tB was (i think...hazy
memory...).
>But it will be sad if it wins. Judy's version is a heck of a lot
better. And,
>we'll get to hear Vanessa sing at the awards, for sure. Let's hope
they do a
>better job with presenting the Disney songs than they did with Circle
of Life,
>Hakuna Matata, Beauty and the Beast, Friend Like Me, etc etc etc.

---------
>K...@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM KEVIN
CHRISTENSEN
>Disney Nut * Star Wars Afficionado * REO #1 FAN * Go Patriots in 1995
* D'oh!!
>'I like to reminisce with people I don't know... Granted it takes
longer... SW
---------

Well, when they had Aladdin's A Whole New World at the Oscars, Brad
Kane (Oh,
those eyebrows!) and Lea Salonga sing and walk around the stage, so why
not
Judy Kuhn? After all, Peabo and What's her name were the ones who did
the pop
version for that on the radio and stuff. Anyway, it's Alan Menken and
Steve S*
who's getting the award, not Vanessa.

Phantom015

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
In article <24JUN199...@alpha.sunquest.com>, k...@alpha.sunquest.com
(KEVIN D. CHRISTENSEN) writes:

>better job with presenting the Disney songs than they did with Circle of
>Life,

AAAAAAACK!!!!! I'd almost buried that in my head. Why'd you have to go
and dig up it?!?!??! <g>

Quadrajet

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
>It would have been a mess for Disney to get THAT detailed and mess with
subtitles, etc..

AND...... Please remember this....
This is a CHILDREN'S MOVIE and many YOUNG children can't read fast enough
or at all to read subtitles or try to decode a foreign language much less
understand its meaning!

Gayla Flowers
(who sat through Pocahontas twice with a 3 year old who does not read!)

Quadrajet

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
I really liked the Beauty & The Beast pop version by Peabo and Celene but
it just wasn't the same as having Mrs. Potts sing it while B&B danced ala
computer magic!

Gayla

Wolfy

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
On 22 Jun 1995 17:10:46 GMT, fo...@watnxt04.ucr.edu (Li-Chueng A Fong) wrote:

>I don't know if anyone asked this or not, but why is she speaking English?

> Or is it just that Disney didn't want to put subtitles in this film? ;)

Yup, yup, yup. . .
--
Wo...@slip.net

"Beauty is in the eye of me, who is doing the beholding."
-Don Karnage

Eric J. Henwood-Greer

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95

In a previous article, phant...@aol.com (Phantom015) says:

>In article <24JUN199...@alpha.sunquest.com>, k...@alpha.sunquest.com
>(KEVIN D. CHRISTENSEN) writes:
>
>>better job with presenting the Disney songs than they did with Circle of
>>Life,
>
> AAAAAAACK!!!!! I'd almost buried that in my head. Why'd you have to go
>and dig up it?!?!??! <g>

I hated more their presentation of "Friend Like Me" from AL with Nell
Carter as a Genie singing it and it seemed to mainly consit of (IMHO)
rather offensive fat jokes about her...
Eric

L.A.

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
Eric J. Henwood-Greer (un...@freenet.Victoria.BC.CA) wrote:

And even more Geoffrey Holder's version of "Kiss the Girl" and "Under the
Sea" for TLM. The only ones the academy did right so far is Aladdin's "A
Whole New World" where they actually got Lea and Brad to do the singing,
and "Beauty and the Beast" with Angela Lansbury, and Peabo Bryson/Celine
Dion.

pedu...@vega.selu.edu

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
Because Disney knows that most of the kids seeing it (and adults) couldn't
understand her if she didn't. Also, many of the kids are too young to read the
subscripts (or whatever they're called) if she didn't speak english! ;)

Richelle

mink!

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
k...@alpha.sunquest.com (KEVIN D. CHRISTENSEN) writes:

>>I don't know if anyone asked this or not, but why is she speaking English?

>Why does everyone speak English on Star Trek?

Well, now that someone ELSE has mentioned Star Trek... Pocahontas'
mother's necklace has a universal translator in it. Yeah. =)

Maiko Covington

--
Maiko Covington
mi...@tcp.com

Christopher Wong

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
In article <3sicdc$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

Phantom015 <phant...@aol.com> wrote:
>In article <DAnLC...@world.std.com>, cw...@world.std.com (Christopher
>Wong) writes:
>>The animators *knew* how ridiculous this was.
>>
>>It puzzles me how one can complain about unrealism in a movie that
>>features a talking tree, an attacking humming bird and humans that
>>break into song every few minutes.
>
> I myself, like the movie. However, one must ask the question:
>
> If Disney did an animated feature about the Holocaust, and rewrote it so
>that the Jews ended up makeing friends with the Nazis, would it be looked
>apon favorably? Yes, I know, this is stretching it. But, in real life,
>the indians of Poca's tribe ended up getting slaughtered. (Or so the
>ticked off people on TV say). To suddenly say that the made up and got
>along at the end seems to have the effect of eraseing their deaths, and
>whittleing away at what really happened.

We all know that the quality of any discussion on the Usenet picks up
significantly when Nazis, Hitler or the Holocaust is mentioned. Sigh.
You guys are so ... serious.

:-)

Chris

William Desmond

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
Hi, just got back from seeing Pocahontas at the local theater and
although me and my date thought it was moving, the audience didn't like
it one bit. You could feel the anger of the parents in the theater,
unhappy because the film wasn't entertaining the kids. The audience was
quiet during the whole film, only one giggling scene. Most kids kept
saying out loud " I wanna leave, I wanna go home", etc. Even some cries
and sleeping children. Not many laughs at all. :(
I think Disney should stick to the animated romantic
comedies/fantasies that have proved so popular. Personally, I think
this movie ok, but I'd prefer Aladdin, BATB, or TLM any day.

Matthew Pearce

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
William Desmond (desm...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Hi, just got back from seeing Pocahontas at the local theater and

: although me and my date thought it was moving, the audience didn't like
: it one bit. You could feel the anger of the parents in the theater,
: unhappy because the film wasn't entertaining the kids. The audience was
: quiet during the whole film, only one giggling scene. Most kids kept
: saying out loud " I wanna leave, I wanna go home", etc. Even some cries
: and sleeping children. Not many laughs at all. :(

I had a different experience. I didn't hear any child want to go home, in
fact, the theater was quieter than I expected it to be. At the end, the
audience clapped. First time I have heard that. But that was the first
time I went to the first showing of a Disney animated feature.

Toby

--

Tropical oils are for topical use only! (Just say NO! to non-dairy creamers.)

Pitacat

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
We saw the movie in a rather crowded theater with lots of adults and kids.
During the musical sequences, we heard lots of children's voices singing
along, and several sitting nearby were literally on the edges of their
seats during the whole movie. I had a good feeling both from the movie
and from the attentive, appreciative audience. So...my experience was
much different from yours. What part of the country are you writing from?
I'm in the Pacific Northwest.

Stephanie da Silva

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <3sicdc$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
Phantom015 <phant...@aol.com> wrote:

> If Disney did an animated feature about the Holocaust, and rewrote it so
>that the Jews ended up makeing friends with the Nazis, would it be looked
>apon favorably?

Whoops, you just invoked Godwin's Law. This thread has officially
been declared dead and you automatically lose the argument.

Stephanie da Silva

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <3ssa3p$r...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,

William Desmond <desm...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>You could feel the anger of the parents in the theater,
>unhappy because the film wasn't entertaining the kids. The audience was
>quiet during the whole film, only one giggling scene. Most kids kept
>saying out loud " I wanna leave, I wanna go home", etc. Even some cries
>and sleeping children. Not many laughs at all. :(

This was what my experience was when we saw Fantasia when it was
re-released to theaters a few years back. I got so annoyed wtih all
the parents to insisted on bringing their little kids to this movie
which to me obviously wasn't a kids' movie, that we went and saw the
movie a second time for midnight showing. Figured all the little
kids would be in bed, asleep. Nope, still a bunch of parents with
bored kids. (tho my son likes Fantasia but then again, he also likes
classical music).

Zarina Mustapha

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <3ssa3p$r...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
William Desmond <desm...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Hi, just got back from seeing Pocahontas at the local theater and
>although me and my date thought it was moving, the audience didn't like
>it one bit. You could feel the anger of the parents in the theater,

>unhappy because the film wasn't entertaining the kids. The audience was
>quiet during the whole film, only one giggling scene. Most kids kept
>saying out loud " I wanna leave, I wanna go home", etc. Even some cries
>and sleeping children. Not many laughs at all. :(
> I think Disney should stick to the animated romantic
>comedies/fantasies that have proved so popular. Personally, I think
>this movie ok, but I'd prefer Aladdin, BATB, or TLM any day.

Hmmm...that is odd. I saw the film (again) at Sony Theaters at Lincoln
Square here in Manhattan. Most of the children in there were laughing
and it looked like people there, in general, also enjoyed the film. The
kids laughed the loudest when Percy the Pug and Meeko the Raccoon were
feuding.

Just my observation,

Ciao!

-ZM4--------------------------------------------------------------------
I look once more; Just around the riverbend; Beyond the shore; Somewhere
past the sea; Don't know what for...Why do all my dreams extend; Just
around the riverbend? Just around the riverbend...
--"Just Around The Riverbend" POCAHONTAS--

Zarina Mustapha

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95

JELine

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
I sat in a theater that had kids scared of the Beast in BatB, and were
threatened by the hyenas in TLK. Children have likes and dislikes just
like most adults. Just look at the posts around you!

Some people will like this film, some people will be threatened by this
film. I think Disney finally accepted the old saying "...you can't please
all the people all the time...." even if you try as hard as Disney does.

David G. Martin

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
There WERE no kids in my audience, but again that was late-show Friday
night (23rd). I didn't really hear many reactions, but some adults were
muttering that it was 'depressing'. The few kids that were there seemed
to thoroughly enjoy it though.

Cheers!
Melissa
FDCMUck Pocahontas
Pocahontas Archive Maintainer
alt.fan.pocahontas FAQ Maintainer

Eric J. Henwood-Greer

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95

In a previous article, ari...@bonkers.taronga.com (Stephanie da Silva) says:

>In article <3ssa3p$r...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
>William Desmond <desm...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>You could feel the anger of the parents in the theater,
>>unhappy because the film wasn't entertaining the kids. The audience was
>>quiet during the whole film, only one giggling scene. Most kids kept
>>saying out loud " I wanna leave, I wanna go home", etc. Even some cries
>>and sleeping children. Not many laughs at all. :(

When we went we went to the 9:00 showing and their were maybe 11 people in
the theatre counting us and four kids... THe two little kids in front were
deathly quitet the whole time and LOVED it and the the two kids behind
LOVED it but would always say things like "Who's that?" VERY loudly...

>This was what my experience was when we saw Fantasia when it was
>re-released to theaters a few years back. I got so annoyed wtih all
>the parents to insisted on bringing their little kids to this movie
>which to me obviously wasn't a kids' movie, that we went and saw the
>movie a second time for midnight showing. Figured all the little
>kids would be in bed, asleep. Nope, still a bunch of parents with
>bored kids. (tho my son likes Fantasia but then again, he also likes
>classical music).

YEP! When I first saw it there were osme kids behind who were talking
about everyhting but the film the whole time.... FInally around "Dance of
the Hours" they decided to go to the arcade instead... I LOVE FANTASIA (I
was 10 when it was re-released last to the theatres) and I saw it 7 times
in the theatre with my own money (a first which has never been surpassed)
but almost all of my friends my own age hate it and find it so boring...
of course I lvoe classical music too...
Eric
PS When I also went to see THUMBELINA there were a mom and dad and grandma
who went witht heir little girl and they talked loudly about everything
but the film the moment it started... They even (I'm serious) talked
about their grandma's constipation briefly! Their daughter even got angry
witht hem but they just teased her... Everyonece and a while they'd look
up and say "What a cute mouse" or somehting... Finally I moved to the
front of the theatre as far form them as I could..
Eric

smi...@cc.memphis.edu

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
I saw Pocahontas June 23 in Memphis at a drive-in. (Yes they still exist in
some parts of the country.) It was a hot night and many people sat outside
their cars on blankets or in folding chairs or of course in the backs of their
pick up trucks:) This audience on this night enjoyed the film very much. Kids
were screaming and laughing at the antics of Meeko especially. I guess in an
outdoor setting people might react more loudly than in a theatre.

The 10th time we saw the Lion King was at the drive-in. You should have heard
the kids (old and young) sing along to Hakuna Matata. Everyone knew the words
by then. It was fun.

RoxDe

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95
In article <1995Jun30....@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>, un...@freenet.Victoria.BC.CA (Eric J. Henwood-Greer) says:
>When we went we went to the 9:00 showing and their were maybe 11 people in
>the theatre counting us and four kids... THe two little kids in front were
>deathly quitet the whole time and LOVED it and the the two kids behind
>LOVED it but would always say things like "Who's that?" VERY loudly...
Most of the time I've seen Poca in the afternoon with lots of kids, but
they are never incredibly bothersome (although they do sing along to CotW)
but when I went to a night show I was in front of 3 adults who laughed and
talked at everything (are death scenes and tearful farewells somthing to
laugh at?) Needless to say,they ruined the movie for me and I went to an
afternoon show the next day and enjoyed the quiet.

~Sarah Dealy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~rox...@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us~
~FDC Nakoma~~FDC Weird-Around Gonzo~~FDC Supervising Character Animator~~

Melinda A Wade

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95

>>BTW, I hope that when Colors of the Wind is nominated for an Oscar, Judy Kuhn

>>sings the movie version, and not Vanessa Williams with the pop version. Anyo
ne
>>else agree?
>

>And we are fooling ourselves if we think anyone other than Vanessa "Forget
>Penthouse" Williams is going to be chosen for the Oscar. They may nominate
>Judy's version, as Angela Lansbury's B&tB was (i think...hazy memory...).
>But it will be sad if it wins. Judy's version is a heck of a lot better. And
,
>we'll get to hear Vanessa sing at the awards, for sure. Let's hope they do a

>better job with presenting the Disney songs than they did with Circle of Life,

>Hakuna Matata, Beauty and the Beast, Friend Like Me, etc etc etc.

--

Amen amen!! I totally agree! Judy's version is far superior to Vanessa's.

The first time I heard it, I didn't even recognize it. Judy's version just has
so much..EMOTION...V's is just "da da da da da da......

Mindy Wade

William Milianta

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95
smi...@cc.memphis.edu wrote:
: I saw Pocahontas June 23 in Memphis at a drive-in. (Yes they still exist in

The people in the movie theater I was in seemed to enjoy the film and
laughed and cheered as well especially at Meeko and friends. The people
were fairly quiet at the end of the film though. A sad feeling I guess.
I enjoyed the whole movie and especially liked Nakoma.

Bill

KEVIN D. CHRISTENSEN

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95
>This was what my experience was when we saw Fantasia when it was
>re-released to theaters a few years back. I got so annoyed wtih all
>the parents to insisted on bringing their little kids to this movie
>which to me obviously wasn't a kids' movie, that we went and saw the
>movie a second time for midnight showing. Figured all the little
>kids would be in bed, asleep. Nope, still a bunch of parents with
>bored kids. (tho my son likes Fantasia but then again, he also likes
>classical music).

How many little kids can sit still for a movie that is over two hours long
and has absolutely no dialogue except for the boring stuff you hear in between
the animated segments? Hope the 1998 Continued version is a little more child-
friendly, because an awful lot of parents will be bringing theirs. Here's an
idea - show one of the more lively segments from Fantasia in theatres as a
prelude to new motion pictures. How about showing "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"
before Aladdin? Or "Night on Bald Mountain" before "The Nightmare Before
Xmas"?

K...@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM KEVIN CHRISTENSEN
Disney Nut * Star Wars Afficionado * REO #1 FAN * Go Patriots in 1995 * D'oh!!
'I like to reminisce with people I don't know... Granted it takes longer... SW

Olve Askim

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
KEVIN D. CHRISTENSEN (k...@alpha.sunquest.com) wrote:
[...]

Because it's a Disney and because it's animated, it doesn't HAVE TO be a kids' movie.
Fantasia shall NOT be a kids' movie. Neither shall Fantasia Continued.
It's art!

Olve Askim
ol...@odin.funcom.no

Esme Longoria

Jul 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/4/95
Both times I have gone to see it, the audience loved it. I thought the
film got many, many laughs. The first time I went, I went at 930pm.
There were so many kids there. I loved "Pocohontas" and all my friends
(even those who HATE Disney) loved Poco.
Esme
THBoND

William Desmond (desm...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Hi, just got back from seeing Pocahontas at the local theater and
: although me and my date thought it was moving, the audience didn't like

: it one bit. You could feel the anger of the parents in the theater,

: unhappy because the film wasn't entertaining the kids. The audience was
: quiet during the whole film, only one giggling scene. Most kids kept
: saying out loud " I wanna leave, I wanna go home", etc. Even some cries
: and sleeping children. Not many laughs at all. :(

: I think Disney should stick to the animated romantic

TheKC

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
Does anyone know anything much about this movie, set to come out next
summer? I can share with you what I know...

It will be drawn in a style very similar to Beauty and the Beast, at times
Gothic and Dark...also using more curves in the animation than Aladdin and
Pocahontas.

The Hunchback will be a redhead, and will be friends with the Gargoyles
that are on top of Notre Dame. And not the Gargoyles in the Disney
Afternoon series. It looks like he will be voiced by Kevin Kline, while
David Ogden Stiers (Cogsworth and Narrator from B & B, Govenor Ratcliffe
from Poca) will do one of the Gargoyles, if not the villain.

The heroine (name escapes me at the moment) will be a black/very
darkskinned girl with bright, BEAUTIFUL emerald eyes. From what I've
seen, she's the most striking of the Disney heroines yet, even more than
Ariel. And to make it even BETTER, she will be voiced by Demi Moore.

That's about all I got on it...anyone else know any more? I'll keep my
ear to the Disney heartbeat, and let y'all know if there's anything else
out...

The KC
Kevin

Olve Askim

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
TheKC (th...@aol.com) wrote:

: The heroine (name escapes me at the moment) will be a black/very

Esmeralda.

: That's about all I got on it...anyone else know any more? I'll keep my

Directors: Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise
Producer: Don Hahn
Music: Alan Menken

Also check out http://www.rahul.net:80/pacmedia/dis/ for further info on Disney's future
projects, Hunchback included.

Olve

FTSimpson

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
When I was at the studio last week, I was given a tour of the Animation
building. Hunchback is well underway. Saw some sculptures of the charaters
(sp?) Hunchback doesn't look that grotesque, and Esmerelda was quite
buxom. The hero look like a first cousin to John Smith. All in all, looks
like a winner.

thomas

Sherline Lee

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
In article <3tu84g$i...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
wa-it. So what's up with the development of the characters?

The hero? Does this mean that they've revamped the male characters
in this movie? (Originally Esme was in love with a Captain Phoebus,
who turned out to be a jerk)..

Sherline

--
\|/ ,,,, \|/ Sherline Lee
~@-/ o@ \-@ sher...@nwu.edu

Michael Crawford

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
TheKC (th...@aol.com) wrote:
: The Hunchback will be a redhead, and will be friends with the Gargoyles

: that are on top of Notre Dame. And not the Gargoyles in the Disney
: Afternoon series. It looks like he will be voiced by Kevin Kline, while
: David Ogden Stiers (Cogsworth and Narrator from B & B, Govenor Ratcliffe
: from Poca) will do one of the Gargoyles, if not the villain.

The hunchback in the book was a redhead also...I believe he is supposed to
be voiced by Tom (?) Hulce, who played Mozart in 'Amadeus'. Kline is voicing
another of the characters. I can only wonder if Quasimodo will be as nasty
as he is in the book. I saw a sketch of him but have forgotten. I've heard
about the talking gargoyles but I wouldn't be surprised if he talked to the
bells also (like in the book...his only friends are the bells who he had
named...).

: The heroine (name escapes me at the moment) will be a black/very

: darkskinned girl with bright, BEAUTIFUL emerald eyes. From what I've

: seen, she's the most striking of the Disney heroines yet, even more than
: Ariel. And to make it even BETTER, she will be voiced by Demi Moore.

I saw some sketches of la Esmeralda, the gypsy girl, at MGM. She is really
incredible looking.

That's all I know. If anyone knows additional vocal casting info, let us
know!

--
-------------------
Michael A. Crawford

Mandel I

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
Wasn't Meatloaf going to do the voice of The Hunchback at one point? What
happened? Just curious...

Mandel Ilagan
man...@aol.com

Ed Bertschy

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
I heard that Ernie Sabella got a part as a gargoyle. Go fig.

Sarah

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <3tsn09$8...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, th...@aol.com (TheKC) says:
>And not the Gargoyles in the Disney
>Afternoon series. It looks like he will be voiced by Kevin Kline, while
>David Ogden Stiers (Cogsworth and Narrator from B & B, Govenor Ratcliffe
>from Poca) will do one of the Gargoyles, if not the villain.
Acutally, Tom Hulce (From "Amadeus") will voice Quasimodo, and Kevin Kline
will voice Phobeus, the hansome solider. Ellen Woodbury will be animating
Esmeralda's goat, and Mike Surrey will be animating the king of the gypsies.
Rumors that Ernie Sabella will also be voicing a gargoyle. It won't have
the same ending as the book.

John Wagner

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>the same ending as the book.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmm, this has an ominous ring. Could you give us a bit more
information on this point?

--John

Sherline Lee

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <3tvbc1$4...@mark.ucdavis.edu>,

Sarah <rox...@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>In article <3tsn09$8...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, th...@aol.com (TheKC) says:
>>And not the Gargoyles in the Disney
>>Afternoon series. It looks like he will be voiced by Kevin Kline, while
>>David Ogden Stiers (Cogsworth and Narrator from B & B, Govenor Ratcliffe
>>from Poca) will do one of the Gargoyles, if not the villain.
>Acutally, Tom Hulce (From "Amadeus") will voice Quasimodo, and Kevin Kline
>will voice Phobeus, the hansome solider. Ellen Woodbury will be animating
>Esmeralda's goat, and Mike Surrey will be animating the king of the gypsies.
>Rumors that Ernie Sabella will also be voicing a gargoyle. It won't have
>the same ending as the book.

I'm glad that Hunchback won't end like the book. :)
IT's not particularly nice to have everyone dead. heh.

Now, will Phoebus be a bad guy...or changed to the love interest for
Esme?

OR, will they instead induce a transformation upon the Hunchback?
(a la Beauty and the Beast?)

Anyone know? Will this be a "Phantom" or "Beauty" type story?

Notocord1

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
When I saw Poca opening day there was a packed theater. The kids were
pretty well behaved untill about the middle of the movie and you could
tell they were becoming restless. When Kokoum(sp) was killed the girl in
front of me was yelling that she wanted to go home and didn't want to see
the rest of the movie(I kept kicking here chair untill she shut up).
Personally I don't care what children think of Disney movies, the only
good thing about them catering to kids is all the merchendise available
for the movies. I wish Disney would really get serious about animation
used as an art form and not as a forum for children's amusements.

J.A. Browner

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
I heard a rumor David Ogden-Stiers will be doing the *singing* voice of
Quasimodo. Anyone know?

Cheers,

Jessica

TheKC

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
Well I was just informed of my misinformation....here's the update...

Kline won't be doing the Hunchback (lost the names) He will do the
"hero"...
(Here I thought the Hunchback was the hero...oh well)

I was wrong about Stiers, according to the guy who emailed me, he isn't
signed for it....not yet anyways.

Still will appreciate any other Info you got thanks!

Kevin
The KC

Your Name Here

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <3u0mro$17...@hearst.cac.psu.edu>, John Wagner <JI...@PSU.EDU> says:

>rox...@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us (Sarah) wrote:
>>It won't have
>>the same ending as the book.
> Hmmm, this has an ominous ring. Could you give us a bit more
>information on this point?
Okay. SPOILER!!! (For those of you who want to know NOTHING about the movie.)

It's supposedly going to have a happy ending, possibly with Quasimodo and
Elsmeralda ending up together.

TheKC

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
>It won't have the same ending as the book.

Yea, but this isn't the first time at all that Disney has altered a
story...And, in my opinion, when Disney has, it's been for the better...

Kevin
The KC

Eric J. Henwood-Greer

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95

In a previous article, man...@aol.com (Mandel I) says:

>Wasn't Meatloaf going to do the voice of The Hunchback at one point? What
>happened? Just curious...

It was the singing voice and PLEASE someone tell me this has been
cancelled!!!!!!!
Eric

Michael Meissner

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
In article <3u25bk$4...@lucy.infi.net> mac...@infi.net (Michael Crawford) writes:

| TheKC (th...@aol.com) wrote:
| : >It won't have the same ending as the book.

| : Yea, but this isn't the first time at all that Disney has altered a
| : story...And, in my opinion, when Disney has, it's been for the better...
|

| Good point. I didn't want TLM getting ka-bobed or Jiminy Cricket getting
| stepped on by Pinoke..

Actually, in the original story, TLM was foamed, not ka-bobed.....

(Hmmm, do I see once of those FDC sloosh types creeping up here).
--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Support (East Coast)
Suite 105, 48 Grove Street, Somerville, MA 02144, USA

Yakkette

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
In article <3u256j$4...@lucy.infi.net>, mac...@infi.net (Michael Crawford) says:
>that stinks. Please don't anyone spoil the ending of the book yet; I have
>about a quarter left to go but I'll probably finish tonight so it's
>OK...From where I am now, Quasimodo is a despicable character who doesn't
>DESERVE the girl. There are better characters around. But, I'll reserve
>final judgement until I finish the book. (If any of you haven't, do so! It's
>GRRRREAT!)
I read the book, and I loved Quasimodo. Sure, he did some bad things, but
he's really a very sympathetic character. On the other hand, I had very
little sympathy for Esmeralda, and none for Phobeus.

Michael Crawford

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Yakkette (rox...@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us) wrote:

I agree now. When I wrote that, I hadn't gotten to the Quasimodo character
development part. Esmeralda's just a nut, and Phoebus is a jerk!

Michael Crawford

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Your Name Here (y...@somehost.somedomain) wrote:
: Okay. SPOILER!!! (For those of you who want to know NOTHING about the movie.)

: It's supposedly going to have a happy ending, possibly with Quasimodo and
: Elsmeralda ending up together.

that stinks. Please don't anyone spoil the ending of the book yet; I have

about a quarter left to go but I'll probably finish tonight so it's
OK...From where I am now, Quasimodo is a despicable character who doesn't
DESERVE the girl. There are better characters around. But, I'll reserve
final judgement until I finish the book. (If any of you haven't, do so! It's
GRRRREAT!)

I was thinking about the possibility of changing the ending and thinking
"Uh-oh, if they get in trouble for interpreting a legend like Poca, imagine
what trouble they'll get in for altering a literary masterpiece, even if the
change works". But then again, I realized that Eisner doesn't read USENET
and as long as the dough keeps rolling in, who cares what the Disneyhaters
think? This made me feel slightly better. Plus, the parent groups would
complain about a dark ending. Oh well, you can't please them all.
--
-------------------
Michael A. "Boba Fett...where?" Crawford

Michael Crawford

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
TheKC (th...@aol.com) wrote:
: >It won't have the same ending as the book.

: Yea, but this isn't the first time at all that Disney has altered a
: story...And, in my opinion, when Disney has, it's been for the better...

Good point. I didn't want TLM getting ka-bobed or Jiminy Cricket getting
stepped on by Pinoke..

--
-------------------
Michael A. "Long before the old Model T" Crawford
mac...@nr.infi.net

TheKC

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
>It's supposedly going to have a happy ending,
>------------------------------
>(Censored as to not spoil anything.)

Um, but were you really expecting Disney to have a non-happy ending? When
I saw the Little Mermaid, I didn't think I'd see the real ending for that
either. (Namely Ariel commiting suicide after she can't get Eric.)

Kevin
The KC

Yakkette

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
In article <3u4pga$f...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, th...@aol.com (TheKC) says:
>Um, but were you really expecting Disney to have a non-happy ending? When
>I saw the Little Mermaid, I didn't think I'd see the real ending for that
>either. (Namely Ariel commiting suicide after she can't get Eric.)
(SPOILER!) Um, actually I was. At least I was hoping. After Poca's
non-happy ending, I hoped that Disney would give Hunchback the sad ending.
Oh, well.
Sarah Dealy--r.a.d. hostess--FDC Nakoma

J.A. Browner

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
Mandel I <man...@aol.com> writes:

>Wasn't Meatloaf going to do the voice of The Hunchback at one point? What
>happened? Just curious...

Meat Loaf supposedly pulled out of the project in order to get his follow-up
album to "Bat Out of Hell II" produced as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Jessica

J.A. Browner

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
TheKC <th...@aol.com> writes:

>>It won't have the same ending as the book.
>
>Yea, but this isn't the first time at all that Disney has altered a
>story...And, in my opinion, when Disney has, it's been for the better...

Yeah, well, that may be true for fairy tales, but offhand I can't recall
a work of classic literature that's been adapted by Disney. And quite
frankly, the idea of giving "Hunchback" a happy ending makes me cringe.

Cheers,

Jessica

TheKC

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
It's becoming more and more obvious to me that this movie is going to be a
big movie for disney. Due to the increasing negative response to
Pocahontas (personally, I liked it alot), it seems many people are again
questioning Disney's ability to come up with new good stories, and also
keep it's music on par. With the Hunchback, Disney needs to show all
these detractors wrong. Personally, I think this story has the potential
to be even better than Beauty and the Beast, so I hope Disney can do it.

Kevin
The KC

Ed Bertschy

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
Whoa...Whoa...Did I miss something? Ariel killed herself!? When? I
thought they got married at the end of TLM! By the way, what's the
address for FDC Muck, and how can I get a charachter there?

Susan C. Mitchell

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Ed Bertschy (bert...@azstarnet.com) wrote:
: Whoa...Whoa...Did I miss something? Ariel killed herself!? When? I
: thought they got married at the end of TLM! By the way, what's the
: address for FDC Muck, and how can I get a charachter there?

In Andersen's *original* story, the (nameless) Little Mermaid was faced
with a grim choice: the only way to regain her fish's tail and return to
the sea was to kill the Prince (who loved another woman, not connected
with the Sea Witch); if she did not, she would turn into seafoam. She
deliberately chose the latter.

Think globally, act locally.
Susan

"We, the people, are not free. Our democracy is but a name. We vote?
What does that mean? We choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee."
-- Helen Keller

Jason Ahrens

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
mac...@infi.net (Michael Crawford) wrote:

>think? This made me feel slightly better. Plus, the parent groups would
>complain about a dark ending. Oh well, you can't please them all.

Oh my. God forbid there be a non-happy ending. Why, that would just
be like, REALITY!

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Jason
--
+-------------------------------------------+----------------------+
| Oh busa Simba iyo (Rule Simba) | Jason Ahrens |

Chris Low

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
>Yeah, well, that may be true for fairy tales, but offhand I can't recall
>a work of classic literature that's been adapted by Disney. And quite
>frankly, the idea of giving "Hunchback" a happy ending makes me cringe.

Many people consider Kipling's Jungle Book to be classic literature. When
the animated feature was in development, Walt gave a copy of the book to
his storymen with the instructions: "Don't read this". We all can tell that
they didn't. Yet, for me, the movie is a great success.

Message has been deleted

TheKC

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
Ariel kills herself in the Hans Christian Anderson version of the story

TheKC

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
>Yeah, well, that may be true for fairy tales, but offhand I can't recall
>a work of classic literature that's been adapted by Disney. And quite
>frankly, the idea of giving "Hunchback" a happy ending makes me cringe.

Personally, I'd classify the Little Mermaid into classical literature
rather than a fairy tale. Also, The Lion King was a story based on Hamlet
and Huckleberry Finn. Those aren't quite fairy tales

TheKC

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
Hugo's ending, I don't know...looking for his book to read...

SPOILER ALERT

If you REALLY want to know the ending of the Disney Hunchback movie,
scroll down. If you don't, don't worry, there's nothing else down there.

Disney's ending is the Hunchback and the girl (forgot the name) get
together.

J.A. Browner

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
Eric J. Henwood-Greer <un...@freenet.Victoria.BC.CA> writes:

>>Wasn't Meatloaf going to do the voice of The Hunchback at one point? What
>>happened? Just curious...
>>
>It was the singing voice and PLEASE someone tell me this has been
>cancelled!!!!!!!

Actually, I think this would have been *awesome*! You may not like Meat
Loaf's music, but you can't deny he has a hell of a voice -- a heroic
tenor, if you will. (In addition to pulling out of "Hunchback," he also
reputedly pulled out of the Toronto production of "Phantom of the Opera" in
order to get his next album produced.)

Cheers,

Jessica

Michael Meissner

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
In article <3uhk5s$q...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> th...@aol.com (TheKC) writes:

| Ariel kills herself in the Hans Christian Anderson version of the story

That's not quite the end. She becomes foam upon the sea to wait for
redemption.

Yakkette

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
In article <MEISSNER.95...@wogglebug.cygnus.com>, meis...@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) says:
>In article <3uhk5s$q...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> th...@aol.com (TheKC) writes:
>| Ariel kills herself in the Hans Christian Anderson version of the story
>That's not quite the end. She becomes foam upon the sea to wait for
>redemption.

Actually, she thought she was going to turn into sea foam. SHe actually
became some sort of benevolent air spirit who had to wait to enter heaven.
Or somthing like that.
Sarah Dealy--r.a.d. hostess--FDC Nakoma

Phantom015

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
In article <3uhk6f$q...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, th...@aol.com (TheKC)
writes:

>rather than a fairy tale. Also, The Lion King was a story based on
Hamlet
>and Huckleberry Finn. Those aren't quite fairy tales

Possibly close to, but not based on. TLK was an original conseption.

Ryan McGinnis ()_()
phant...@aol.com (_)
Sioux City, Iowa USA "Ninga phelelwa nga mandla"

*Standard Disclaimer*:

All opinions are those of my brain, and not of my fingers.
My fingers are merely keyboard service providers, and
have no input regarding the content of my messages.

Yakkette

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
In article <fooDBz...@netcom.com>, f...@netcom.com (Mark Hall) says:
> BTW, don't believe everything you read in RAD. Disney'd have
>to release 50 versions of the same movie to match all the know-it-alls
>that post the definitive answer here.
Well, I'm hardly a know-it-all (I still have little idea what's going to
happen) but I've heard about the ending from 3 different Disney animators.

Sarah Dealy--r.a.d. hostess--FDC Nakoma

Mark Hall

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
In article <3uhk78$q...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> th...@aol.com (TheKC) writes:
)SPOILER ALERT
)
. . .
)
)Disney's ending is <deleted>

including:
) the girl (forgot the name)

Esmerelda.

Mark Hall

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
In article <3ulvj0$2...@mark.ucdavis.edu> rox...@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us (Yakkette) writes:
)In article <fooDBz...@netcom.com>, f...@netcom.com (Mark Hall) says:
)> BTW, don't believe everything you read in RAD. Disney'd have
)>to release 50 versions of the same movie to match all the know-it-alls
)>that post the definitive answer here.

)Well, I'm hardly a know-it-all (I still have little idea what's going to
)happen) but I've heard about the ending from 3 different Disney animators.

You weren't the one who posted the "spoiler" for the ending,
but even so, I was referring to the Poca "spoilers" that were
posted not long ago, including

"He dies. An animator came to my college and told us so"
"she dies"
"the animals talk"
"She marries him"

and talking about the storyline at this point is premature.
Things change. The ending has not been animated yet.

- mark

Eric J. Henwood-Greer

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95

In a previous article, th...@aol.com (TheKC) says:

>>Yeah, well, that may be true for fairy tales, but offhand I can't recall
>>a work of classic literature that's been adapted by Disney. And quite
>>frankly, the idea of giving "Hunchback" a happy ending makes me cringe.
>
>Personally, I'd classify the Little Mermaid into classical literature

>rather then a fairy tale.

Right... This is sorta a touchy subject but even though Andersen named at
least one of his collections (or if he didn't at least now they're named
that) Andersen's Fairy Tales, they're much more literature, if nothing
else but for the reason that he didn't just write them down and adapt them
a bit like Perrault and the Brothers Grimm, he actually wrote them
Eric

Yakkette

Jul 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/21/95
In article <fooDC0...@netcom.com>, f...@netcom.com (Mark Hall) says:
> and talking about the storyline at this point is premature.
>Things change. The ending has not been animated yet.
Things do change, and they could have a 'story meltdown', but they're
pretty well into the animating, and there usually aren't any _big_ changes
this far into the movie. The tone of the film is defined, and the ending
has a lot to do with that.

Theodore Bill

Jul 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/22/95
th...@aol.com (TheKC) wrote:

For what its worth, what I have seen of the completed segments, the
rough animation and the music it should be an excellent film. Lots of
stong lines in the characters and catchy tunes. (I thought the Colors
of the Wind sequence they showed before TLK was kinda 'blah' from the
first . . )

The only aspect I am not sure on is the Gargoyles. I really didn't
get to see any of that animation or their lines. I don't even know
who is doing their voices. In the past this type of character has
been the make or break of Disney films. Would Poca be doing as well
now without Flint and that raccoon? (name evades me . . )

Personally I have high hopes for Hunchback.

Ted.

J.A. Browner

Jul 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/22/95
TheKC <th...@aol.com> writes:

>>Yeah, well, that may be true for fairy tales, but offhand I can't recall
>>a work of classic literature that's been adapted by Disney. And quite
>>frankly, the idea of giving "Hunchback" a happy ending makes me cringe.
>
>Personally, I'd classify the Little Mermaid into classical literature
>rather than a fairy tale. Also, The Lion King was a story based on Hamlet
>and Huckleberry Finn. Those aren't quite fairy tales

I *would* classify "Little Mermaid" as a fairy tale. And while it's true
that both "Hamlet" and "Huckleberry Finn" are works of classic literature,
I would hardly call "Lion King" an adaptation of either of them. A very
loosely-based rendering, at best.

Cheers,

Jessica

Jim De Arras

Jul 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/23/95
In article <3u0svh$b...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> noto...@aol.com (Notocord1)
writes:
> When I saw Poca opening day there was a packed theater. The kids were
> pretty well behaved untill about the middle of the movie and you could
> tell they were becoming restless. When Kokoum(sp) was killed the girl in
> front of me was yelling that she wanted to go home and didn't want to see
> the rest of the movie(I kept kicking here chair untill she shut up).

Sounds to me like the real child was the one doing the kicking.

> Personally I don't care what children think of Disney movies, the only
> good thing about them catering to kids is all the merchendise available
> for the movies. I wish Disney would really get serious about animation
> used as an art form and not as a forum for children's amusements.

When you appear to be other than a child, perhaps your points will be taken
more seriously.

Jim

Lisbeth Poag

Jul 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/23/95
Thank goodness I finally found an answer to my question. I just
found the newgroup today, and I've asked every person I know if I
just dreamed it, or whether Hunchback was the next film. Thanks for
an answer to my question!
Lisbeth

Jared Ong

Jul 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/24/95

Well, The Hunchback of Notre Dame is coming out (Summer of 1996). But
it is not Disney's next animated feature, Toy Story is.
Jared Ong
jo...@coyote.csusm.edu
---------------------------------------
We are spinning our own fates
good or evil, and never to be undone
Every smallest stroke of virtue or of vice leaves
its never so little scar...Nothing we ever do is,
in strict scientific literalness, wiped out.
- William James

Eric J. Henwood-Greer

Jul 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/27/95

In a previous article, jabr...@delphi.com (J.A. Browner) says:

>TheKC <th...@aol.com> writes:
>
>>>Yeah, well, that may be true for fairy tales, but offhand I can't recall
>>>a work of classic literature that's been adapted by Disney. And quite
>>>frankly, the idea of giving "Hunchback" a happy ending makes me cringe.
>>
>>Personally, I'd classify the Little Mermaid into classical literature
>>rather than a fairy tale. Also, The Lion King was a story based on Hamlet
>>and Huckleberry Finn. Those aren't quite fairy tales
>
>I *would* classify "Little Mermaid" as a fairy tale. And while it's true

But it ISN'T a fairy tale!:) It's by Andersend as are his other "fairy
stories" ... Generally fairy tales are folk tales that have been passed
down and adapted, like the collections of the brother Grimms, and
Perrault's cvollection, they collected them but didn't write them (maybe
re-wrtoe them, but)
Eric

J.A. Browner

Jul 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/29/95
Eric J. Henwood-Greer <un...@freenet.Victoria.BC.CA> writes:

>But it ISN'T a fairy tale!:) It's by Andersend as are his other "fairy
>stories" ... Generally fairy tales are folk tales that have been passed
>down and adapted, like the collections of the brother Grimms, and
>Perrault's cvollection, they collected them but didn't write them (maybe
>re-wrtoe them, but)

A fairy tale is defined by the contents, not by how they are transmitted.
And according to my encyclopedia, "Great adapters of popular fairy tales
were Charles Perrault, the brothers Grimm, *and* [italics mine] Hans
Christian Andersen." I think you will find that most sources credit Andersen
as a poet, a novelist, *and* a writer of fairy tales, and "Little Mermaid"
certainly qualifies as the latter.

Cheers,

Jessica

Eric J. Henwood-Greer

Jul 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/30/95

In a previous article, jabr...@delphi.com (J.A. Browner) says:

Well *my* encyclopedia lists it as a folk story that has been passed down
and adpated for many generations who's author isn't really known if there
was one author... Great collectors and adpaters of these stories are
Perrault, the Brothers Grimm, etc...
But you're right it could be either way... Andersen's stories were
titled "Andersen's Fairy Tales"... It can mean either the content or how
they were written... But as for content why should many of ANdersen's
stories be called fairy tales?
Eric

Jason Ahrens

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
J.A. Browner <jabr...@delphi.com> wrote:

>I *would* classify "Little Mermaid" as a fairy tale. And while it's true

>that both "Hamlet" and "Huckleberry Finn" are works of classic literature,
>I would hardly call "Lion King" an adaptation of either of them. A very
>loosely-based rendering, at best.

It isn't. It resembles them in some ways, but how many plot lines are
there in the world before some get used again, especially when the
target audience is *mostly* children (as much as we wish otherwise).

Kovu

Jason Ahrens

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
phant...@aol.com (Phantom015) wrote:

> Er.. Thats done by Pixar, right? So, technically, does that classify it
>as a Disney feature, or not?

Who owns Pixar? Probably Disney (heck, they own everytheing else). I
guess they could say it's a Disney story by Pixar or something like
that.

Jared Ong

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95
In article <3vhlt9$g...@steel.interlog.com>, jah...@interlog.com (Jason Ahrens) says:

>phant...@aol.com (Phantom015) wrote:
>
>Who owns Pixar? Probably Disney (heck, they own everytheing else). I
>guess they could say it's a Disney story by Pixar or something like
>that.
>
>Kovu

No duh...now they own ABC! Back to the Hunchback of Notre Dame, what
parts will they cut out..ie Phoebues and La Esmeralda's encounter,
the fall of Claude Frollo to his death. Please don't change the ending
Disney, I will personally scream in the theater if you do.

Yakkette

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95
In article <3vkiq7$b...@bobcat.csusm.edu>, jo...@coyote.csusm.edu (Jared Ong) says:
>No duh...now they own ABC! Back to the Hunchback of Notre Dame, what
>parts will they cut out..ie Phoebues and La Esmeralda's encounter,
>the fall of Claude Frollo to his death. Please don't change the ending
>Disney, I will personally scream in the theater if you do.
Too late. The whole story is changed, including the ending. I'm not going
to pre-judge it, because I thought that I was going to HATE Poca, and now
it's my fave Disney film of all time. We'll see what Hunchback brings..

~Sarah Dealy-Yakkette-------...@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us~
"We'll be waiting right outside to protect you from the evil Viper that
lurks in the shadows to to horrible,unspeakable things to you while you
innocently slumber! Sleep tight!"

Jared Ong

Aug 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/2/95
In article <3vkl9d$t...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, rox...@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us (Yakkette) says:

>In article <3vkiq7$b...@bobcat.csusm.edu>, jo...@coyote.csusm.edu (Jared Ong) says:
>>No duh...now they own ABC! Back to the Hunchback of Notre Dame, what
>>parts will they cut out..ie Phoebues and La Esmeralda's encounter,
>>the fall of Claude Frollo to his death. Please don't change the ending
>>Disney, I will personally scream in the theater if you do.
>Too late. The whole story is changed, including the ending. I'm not going
>to pre-judge it, because I thought that I was going to HATE Poca, and now
>it's my fave Disney film of all time. We'll see what Hunchback brings..

<sigh>. Well, I am resigned to the fact that Disney has changed another
classic (though not necessarily bad). I still will scream though if
the story just doesn't come out right. When exactly is the movie
being released; some say this winter, and some say next summer. I always
thought it was coming out in '96.

TheKC

Aug 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/2/95
Summer of '96 is the release date for Hunchback!

Hey! more upcoming stuff (a little off topic, but oh well)
'97-Hercules, with Bobcat Goldwaith?
'98-The Legend of Mulan
'99-Tarzan!!!!!

That is according to the latest issue of Wizard

Kevin
The KC

It is loading more messages.