Sue's Nov F&W Trip - Day 2 of 4

Sue/WDW1972

Nov 11, 2022, 7:14:24 PM11/11/22
DAY 2 – Friday 11/11/22
Who: Sue (64), DVC Member
SB (65), my husband
Chris (36), my son
Amanda (34), my daughter-in-law
Ari (6), my grandson

Plan: Epcot, Food & Wine

Actual: We both slept well – the room is both comfortable and quiet despite being right by the elevator. We got up around 5 but I think we were both awake a little before that. I made my cappuccino and brought it back to bed, and we hung out doing online stuff while the local news was on.

Around 6 I got up to take my shower & get dressed. After that I made breakfast, while SB went down to Beach Club Marketplace to get some home fries to add to his. I had the usual egg and slice of bacon. SB had an egg, the potatoes, and a smoked sausage I’d brought from home – I snagged a small piece of that as well. Chris was online at 7 to get us a Group 1 boarding pass for the new Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. However, it said SB didn’t have valid park admission, so we’d need to get a cast member to help once in the park. As it turns out, SB has his account and a dummy one, and the dummy was the one linked to be friends with Chris. Chris sent an email to the real one (that I manage), so it’s fixed for the future.

We were out the door at 7:30 and met the others down by the walkway to Epcot. Chris had gotten the breakfast sandwich (bacon & eggs on hotcakes) but said it was a mess. Without syrup it was very dry, and with syrup it was just messy. Ari ate one of the hard boiled eggs we’d brought for him.

At International Gateway there was a huge crowd because they hadn’t started letting people through yet. We joined the crowd and within 5 minutes it started moving. At the top of the hill we were scanned to ensure that we’re resort guests, and from there we headed towards Test Track. Ari was excited to have both of us grandparents present! SB’s not around him as often as I am, and he was exhausted watching him! Ari is quite the Disney expert, with maps to all the parks in his backpack. On attractions he knows the narrative.

I’m not a fan of Test Track but that’s what they wanted to do so I agreed. The plan was to do Test Track and Soarin and still make it to our Guardian’s boarding group. That didn’t exactly happen. We got to Test Track and waited for them to open the attraction at 8am. Once we were moving and had gotten through the part where you design your car and then pushed into a room to form a queue for the last portion of the wait the attraction went down. We were basically trapped at that point so just had to stand there waiting. Eventually it came back up and we continued to the loading area.

It seems all the cars are blue now – didn’t they used to be different colors? Ari rode with SB & me while Chris & Amanda were the back row with a young boy doing the single rider line with his family. We were zipping along and until just before the big truck, which the car came slamming to a halt. Once again the attraction was down. The audio was eventually shut off and the lights came on. After sitting there for a while they started up again – this time we were on the path to crash through the wall when we stopped again. Audio off, lights on, wait ensued. Finally it started running again and we made it through the last bit of the ride without any additional breakdowns.

By now it was just after 9 and we had until 9:10 to get on Guardian’s of the Galaxy. We waited in line at the Guest Experience kiosk and the cast member there was able to link the real SB to ride. If she hadn’t been able or willing to do it, Chris would have given SB his magic band. Evidently Chris won’t ride this – Amanda says he’s a baby. This is Ari’s 3rd time – the first time Amanda had to carry him off crying at the end, the 2nd time he was still scared & may have cried, but he wanted to do it again.

Chris came with us through the queue and preshow – this is a very long process once you enter the building! As we were about to board Chris exited. I rode with Amanda and Ari rode with SB. We were in the last 2 rows of the coaster. I don’t remember what song played but it was familiar to me and I liked it. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I loved it! It’s very smooth, and definitely intense, but very enjoyable. It’s also pretty long, too.

I don’t think Ari cried at all – I may have heard him screaming like people do on roller coasters. SB was quiet and when we pulled back in he was sitting frozen in place. I asked if he was ok and he said no. Thankfully he was just feeling nauseous and not experiencing any real medical emergency! He was woozy, shaken up, and says he’s never riding that again, lol! As we passed the misting station he took off his hat and stood under the cool mist for a while, then later got a coke to settle his stomach. What really did the trick for him though was the margarita!

Soarin’ had a 60-minute wait at this point, so we skipped doing that and headed to Mexico. The margarita stand wasn’t open but the cantina was just letting the first guests in. We went there. While Chris & SB got margaritas Amanda, Ari & I secured a table by the water. SB was back to normal after his margarita, and around 10:30 we got up and walked towards Hawaii.

Some of the Food & Wine booths in this area open at 10:30, so Chris stopped at Saucy Swanky Swine while the rest of us continued to Hawaii. SB & I sat on a shady bench outside the shop while Amanda & Ari went in the Hawaii queue. They got the pulled pork sliders – 1 for Ari and 2 for Amanda. Chris joined us with the lettuce wraps and a bloody mary.

Once everyone had eaten we continued walking around the countries. Canada wasn’t too busy but we may do that tonight. We stopped in Canada, where Amanda got powerade and SB got his coke. The next stop was Spain (near Germany) where SB got the paella and got me the white wine. We again found a shady bench and relaxed. They wanted orange chicken from the counter service place in China and it didn’t open until noon so we were just killing time.

When we got moving again Chris & SB each got a beer in Germany. Amanda, Ari & I waited for them in the air-conditioned Christmas store. Next was the caramel shop, where I bought apple oatmeal cookies for SB & me and a caramel cookie for Ari. We saved those for later.

In China there were already people forming a queue, so we went in and got a table. Before long Amanda decided to go stand in the line since it was growing longer. Seems like they need to open this place at 11 or 11:30! Just before noon I went to the India booth and brought back the chicken tikka masala and the chenin blanc. Chris & Amanda were impressed by the portion size of the chicken, saying it looked like a meal rather than a sample. They’re right – it’s a very filling portion.

Finally Amanda was able to order the orange chicken and bring it back to the table. It’s very good, but now around $15 I think. Disney prices are a bit much most of the time. But, they enjoyed it – it was mostly for Ari but we all ate a little bit. By now we were tiring out so we decided to leave the park. It’s so nice staying at Beach Club Villas – can’t beat the convenience!

SB decided to head home now rather than come back to Epcot with us later. He needs to feed the cats tonight, and plans to sleep <g>. He said his goodbyes to the others and we went to our room for SB to pick up his stuff. I’d thought about going to the pool but showers were expected this afternoon and I just didn’t feel like bothering to get down there and risk getting rain. Instead I sat on the balcony for a bit and then worked on the report while watching General Hospital. We plan to head back to Epcot around 4, and they’re probably napping. Around 2:15 I did hear thunder, but I’m not sure it actually rained.

At 3:30 SB called to say he got home safely, and then Chris called saying Amanda wanted to get something at Ale & Compass Lounge. I decided to join them, and we’ll go to Epcot from there. We walked over to Yacht Club and found a table by the fireplace. The sign outside said they opened at 4 but as we were looking at the menu I noticed faint print saying the food was available starting at 5. Amanda wanted the Vermont cheddar burger, but didn’t want to wait over an hour so we left and walked over to Epcot. We are so happy being at Beach Club Villas – can’t beat it for trips like this (Boardwalk would be a fairly close second).

As we approached the entrance it sprinkled a little bit – just enough to get the umbrella wet before it stopped. Chris had mentioned the cheese soup in Canada and I was thinking that would be my dinner, but I was not hungry now. As we walked through Canada I saw they had both sides open, and as usual the side closer to UK had barely anyone in line while the other side was pretty crowded. We know this tip but many people don’t.

We headed to the Flavors from Fire stand, where Chris joined the queue. Amanda & Ari continued to the macaroni & cheese stand while I held a table in between the 2 booths. Chris got the corned beef, the skirt steak and the s’mores cake. Ari had the regular mac & cheese, without the breadcrumbs. The mac & cheese is so delicious! They all loved the s’mores cake and polished it off easily! It was warm, too – I never noticed that with mine (last trip) since I was bringing it to the resort for the fridge.

Our next stop was the Odyssey where they’re doing different wings. There lots of tables in here and a couple musicians were performing. Amanda, Ari & I got a table and when the musicians finished their song they announced they were going on break, lol – figures! But, a DJ came out and played music so it was still entertaining. Chris got the garlic parmesan wings and really enjoyed them. They looked great, too. He also had a beer.

When he finished we continued walking around the countries and arrived in America at 5. The theater was already pretty full of people waiting for the 5:30 Kenny G concert. We decided to wait outside the theater and just catch a couple of songs from the walkway, since an active 6 year old isn’t going to do well sitting for a half-hour. Back here he could move around some.

Around 3 minutes before show time Kenny G came walking into the theater (in the audience section). He motioned to the sound/light techs to start, and he began playing while walking throughout the audience. I wasn’t sure he realized he was allowed to use the stage, lol – but eventually he did get up there. He’s very very good! We stayed for about half the concert then decided to move on and beat the mass exodus that would occur.

We stopped in Greece, where Chris got the gyro while the rest of us claimed an empty bench. He liked the gyro, but like mine last trip it was only warm rather than hot. We made one more stop, in Canada. Once again the registers on this side had 1 person in line so I got my bacon cheddar soup w/pretzel roll. Chris was full at this point so he skipped it. I got an extra spoon for Ari and he enjoyed it, but wasn’t a fan of dipping the pretzel in the soup so he ate his piece of pretzel plain. The soup was excellent, but I wasn’t really impressed with the pretzel tonight.

At this point we decided to head out and left via International Gateway. They were headed to the Ale & Compass Lounge for Amanda’s burger. I decided to just turn in since I wasn’t hungry and I’ve had a head cold that is causing a runny nose and occasional coughing. Nobody in a food venue wants to see & hear that, but in my room I could blow to my heart’s content and try to get it out of me.

I went back to my room and got into bed with the laptop and a pile of Kleenex. Today nobody came by to do a “room check” and take the trash. I’d been hoping they’d show up when I was in the room this afternoon because whoever cleaned this room before my arrival didn’t leave any washcloths and there’s no spare box of Kleenex.

Out on the balcony I learned my room faces Spaceship Earth, and the trees were shorter I’d have a great view! The trees are so tall I can only make out the lights between branches and it’s pretty obstructed. We’ll see how visible the fireworks are at 9pm.

Today was a terrific day – love staying at this resort, enjoying time with family. Food & Wine was great. Test Track was a pain. Guardians of the Galaxy was fantastic, but SB would disagree.

Tomorrow they’re headed to Magic Kingdom to do a few things right when the park opens (30 minutes prior for resort guests) and then come back to the resort so we can drive over to Disney Springs. We’ll hope for the Gideon’s virtual queue and have a noon lunch reservation at Terralina. I think we all to enjoy pool time after lunch, although I may stick to the quiet pool – we’ll see.

Sue/WDW1972

JG

Nov 12, 2022, 11:48:36 AM11/12/22
During the Cheers days I was on a rental car shuttle with Spyro Gyro in Boston. If a Gryrian didn't announce it I would have just guessed the group was stylish hippies going to a Harvard symposium. Instead of a Spyrosium.

JG

Nov 12, 2022, 2:25:36 PM11/12/22
Spyro GYRA is currently on a grand European tour concluding in Indianapolis and resuming in Florida 2023!