Sue's July BLT Trip - Day 1 of 5

Sue/WDW1972

Jun 30, 2022, 7:09:05 PMJun 30
DAY 1 – Thursday 6/30/22
Who: Sue (63), DVC Member

Plan: Drive to BLT, Boathouse lunch

Actual: This morning started with a couple of dental appointments after spending last night with Chris, Amanda & Ari. First, I checked on my home and swung by Publix for some English muffins, then went to the dental place. My hygienist appointment was at 8:30 and the dentist was scheduled for 9:30. Yesterday on the drive down I hadn’t even left Gainesville before a couple indicator lights came on. I checked with Chris and he agreed it was safe to drive with those, and I was thinking it’s probably an issue with a sensor.

This morning I drove all the way home (45 minutes) with no indicator lights coming on. Leaving there to go to Publix (1 mile at most) I had yesterday’s 2 plus another. Looking the new one up I saw it’s the engine protection control system and the manual says to drive to the nearest authorized service place. Leaving Publix for the dentist I had just the last one on. At the dentist they make you wear masks to enter, which is a pain in this heat. I contacted Chris and sent him a picture of the indicator light, which he shared with a buddy of his who has a car repair shop nearby. The friend suggested a couple things, which did not work.

I had my 8:30 cleaning, and my hygienist was able to get the dentist’s dental assistant to take my xrays right away to save time. Afterwards I saw the dentist, who was excruciatingly thorough – of course, since I’m crunched for time. All was fine dentally and I was out there just after 10. I drove to Chris’ buddy’s shop and he hooked the computer up to my car and said it’s one of the sensors – perhaps it got knocked off a bit when they did the tires. In any event, he said the car was safe to drive, and he knows I live in Gainesville now.

With that done I finally got on the road, hoping to make it to my 1:45 lunch at Boathouse in time but prepared to call them if I wasn’t going to make it. Close to Disney traffic on I-4 slowed to a crawl, as it seems to always do. I’d gotten a couple of texts letting me know my room wasn’t ready, but since I’m going to Disney Springs it’s no big deal. Just as I approached the Orange Garage I get a work call – but still managed to take a picture of my level/row sign with my other phone. That’s easier than actually trying to remember where I parked!

The call finished up by the time I’d passed through security and was down the stairs. I walked past Gideon’s and they were not doing the virtual queue, so no reason to stop there. I stepped into the Boathouse at 1:45 or 1:46 – and was seated right away. I never knew how large this restaurant is – there are so many rooms I’d never seen before! I was in a room near the end, but not the last room. There’s lots of outside seating too, but I’m not doing that when it’s mid-90’s outside. Plenty of other people were out there though.

I ordered a glass of the Matua sauvignon blanc (one of cruise buddy Fran’s favorite wines) and the filet mignon sliders. The sliders come with skinny French fries (plus 2 sliders). I only ate some of the fries but ate all of both sliders. The meat was perfectly cooked and very tender & flavorful. This is my “go to” item when I eat here. They give a 10% discount on food to DVC and passholders, so I showed my passholder card to save a little bit.

After settling the check I had to pass Gideon’s again and the line looked really short to me – I estimated 10 minutes. The cast member agreed with that, so I joined the queue and soon was inside. I haven’t gotten the triple chocolate cookie in several visits so that’s what I got today. It’s very good, but you definitely have to like chocolate! From there I headed back to the garage to get my car. The “room is ready text” came while I was eating lunch, and I could tell by the room number I didn’t get my request of facing the Contemporary. I’m lake view, but also Space Mountain, Tron & the Castle – which means fireworks view. I really would have preferred the other side, but it is what it is.

The parking lot was a nightmare – so full! Finally someone pulled out and I got there before anyone else. I made a trip into the resort and waited forever for the elevator, and then it was stifling hot in there and we stopped several times for the other people riding. I’m on the 12th floor, so there are lots of rooms below mine. I get to the door and my magic band doesn’t work. I pulled out the other band and it doesn’t work either. I cursed under my breathe (vehemently) and trudged back to the slow hot elevator and went to the lobby. I heard the story about “you have so many bands” – yes I know, thanks to Disney not allowing us to opt out for a number of years of multiple trips. Most of them have been tagged “inactive” in the system, on the advice of cast members.

She fixed my bands, I went upstairs and thank goodness they worked! I unloaded what I had with me, took some photos, and then went down to get the suitcase and gallon jug of water from the car. After unpacking everything I headed out to walk around. I couldn’t find an ice machine but asked a bellman walking by and he said they’re only on floor 4, 9 & 14. Wow. Is it too much to have one on each floor??

I continued across the sky bridge to the Contemporary and walked around there. Tomorrow morning I’ll pick up a few packets of grape jelly for my English muffins, since I didn’t think to bring the jar I bought at Hilton Head. I don’t eat English muffins often but they sounded good to me for this trip. I went down to the lobby and a cast member was able to look up and write down the times for Electrical Water Pageant at each location. It comes to us last, at 10:05. It starts at Grand Floridian at 8:35 so I may watch it there at some point. I can still be back here and on my balcony by the time the fireworks start at 9:20 and then I won’t have to wait up and walk over to the back of the Contemporary at 10:05. I’d rather be in bed!

Coming back to Bay Lake Tower I went up to the 14th floor, which is actually 1 floor above 12, and found the vending machine room. The stairs are nearby, so it won’t be a big deal to get there from my room. I took the laptop out to the balcony and sat out there updating the report. I could see the Tron vehicles running, which was pretty cool. I don’t know when that’s opening but it must be getting somewhat close. Sitting out here I realized I’ve had this location once before. I’m an early riser, and early in the morning all the assorted boats enter the waterway via an opening directly across from me. It was nice watching the “parade” as Disney got ready for the day.

Around 5:30 I went back inside to catch some local news. I think these rooms are due to be refurbished at some point reasonably soon and they need it. They do have plenty of storage, and the kitchenette is a nicer layout than most resorts, but they’ve still got the tiny little tv (32 inches or less). The balconies are nice & big, at least in the rooms facing the outside of the building.

I got some ice and had some wine while doing online stuff. Since it doesn’t look like it’s going to rain tonight I decided this would be the time to watch Electrical Water Pageant from the Grand Floridian. The weather people were talking about more rain in the next few days, so it seems safest to do it tonight. The internet started acting funky – disappearing, so I’d disconnect and then connect to find it fine for a short time. I decided to just get the report posted – tomorrow’s activities will take fewer words so I can include tonight’s stuff at the start of tomorrow’s report.

Today was partly a great day, but partly very stressful! I hate car issues. Did I mention I had 1-2 indicator lights on for the trip up here but leaving Disney Springs to BLT not a single light came on? I wish I had my monorail/Contemporary view. But, I’m staying in a lovely resort, not going to work in the morning, so I can’t complain. Lunch was great, the cookie looks great (too full to try it) and I’m looking forward to the next few days.

Tomorrow I’ll spend time by the pool in the morning, have lunch at Steakhouse 71, and then relax until the evening festivities.

Sue/WDW1972

JG

Jul 3, 2022, 1:07:31 PMJul 3
On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 6:09:05 PM UTC-5, Sue/WDW1972 wrote:
> DAY 1 – Thursday 6/30/22
> Who: Sue (63), DVC Member
>
> Plan: Drive to BLT, Boathouse lunch
>
> Actual: This morning started with a couple of dental appointments after spending last night with Chris, Amanda & Ari.

My hygienist does xrays AND cleaning, one fewer covid risk contact. I only see the dentist once per year to recoup the savings to make up for a botched root canal and crown retreatment. Cleaning still semiannually.
Pro tip.. if your root canal tooth doesn't hurt skip any recommended retreat which only pays for Root Doctors Porsche.

> With that done I finally got on the road, hoping to make it to my 1:45 lunch at Boathouse in time but prepared to call them if I wasn’t going to make it. Close to Disney traffic on I-4 slowed to a crawl, as it seems to always do. I’d gotten a couple of texts letting me know my room wasn’t ready, but since I’m going to Disney Springs it’s no big deal. Just as I approached the Orange Garage I get a work call – but still managed to take a picture of my level/row sign with my other phone. That’s easier than actually trying to remember where I parked!

I'd leave I-4 around the Beachline (ripoff) tollway and take I-drive or the new parallel road to the west, Dr. Soles Blvd ???
The BLVD runs near Target AND Publix for your booze, snacks and poncho needs. Your time stuck on I.4 can instead go to deciding between muffins and/or scones. This is a newer shopping area and the tackiness of US192 was avoided by the progressive enlightened Orange co. Developers.

> The parking lot was a nightmare – so full! Finally someone pulled out and I got there before anyone else. I made a trip into the resort and waited forever for the elevator, and then it was stifling hot in there and we stopped several times for the other people riding. I’m on the 12th floor, so there are lots of rooms below mine. I get to the door and my magic band doesn’t work. I pulled out the other band and it doesn’t work either. I cursed under my breathe (vehemently) and trudged back to the slow hot elevator and went to the lobby. I heard the story about “you have so many bands” – yes I know, thanks to Disney not allowing us to opt out for a number of years of multiple trips. Most of them have been tagged “inactive” in the system, on the advice of cast members.

Wait till you try and quit the timeshare "club" ;(

> She fixed my bands, I went upstairs and thank goodness they worked! I unloaded what I had with me, took some photos, and then went down to get the suitcase and gallon jug of water from the car. After unpacking everything I headed out to walk around. I couldn’t find an ice machine but asked a bellman walking by and he said they’re only on floor 4, 9 & 14. Wow. Is it too much to have one on each floor??

Mostly a cleaning issue for the ice maker, cough Legionnaire's disease.

> Around 5:30 I went back inside to catch some local news. I think these rooms are due to be refurbished at some point reasonably soon and they need it. They do have plenty of storage, and the kitchenette is a nicer layout than most resorts, but they’ve still got the tiny little tv (32 inches or less). The balconies are nice & big, at least in the rooms facing the outside of the building.

Some resorts need to bolt down the 4 foot tvs.

> Today was partly a great day, but partly very stressful! I hate car issues. Did I mention I had 1-2 indicator lights on for the trip up here but leaving Disney Springs to BLT not a single light came on? I wish I had my monorail/Contemporary view. But, I’m staying in a lovely resort, not going to work in the morning, so I can’t complain. Lunch was great, the cookie looks great (too full to try it) and I’m looking forward to the next few days.

I'd watch the warnings but it's likely an electrical connection issue with the humidity. Autozone can scan the engine for diagnostics codes if they persist for Free or a small fee.
My ABS light intermittently stayed on after start up but went away.