Whatever Happened to the Disney Inn?

Steve Soares

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

mjr...@forest.drew.edu wrote:

> Whatever Happened to the Disney Inn...the little hotel next to the golf
> course?
>
> Mary Jane
It's now called "Shades of Green" and is a military R&R facility.

mjr...@forest.drew.edu

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

Terry Richards

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97
to mjr...@forest.drew.edu

Disney leased it in a 99-year deal to the military for use as a military
resort limited to military families. It's been renamed "Shades of
Green."

The idea was this: Surveys showed that WDW was the top intended vacation
destination for military families, but military pay put the price of WDW
hotels out of reach of many servicemen. The military and Disney did up a
deal, and rooms at "Shades of Green" cost servicemen as little as $47 a
day, depending on military pay grades. Like guests at the other Disney
hotels, military families at "Shades of Green" get complimentary
transportation to the parks. I understand military personnel staying at
"Shades of Green" also can purchase discounted passports.

--
Terry Richards
teri...@surfsouth.com

"There's nothing more dangerous than a clever sheep." - Monty Python's
Flying Circus

Caleb & Michele Warner

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97
to mjr...@forest.drew.edu

mjr...@forest.drew.edu wrote:
>Whatever Happened to the Disney Inn...the little hotel next to the golf
>course?
>
>Mary Jane

It is still there but is now known as Shades of Green. The US Military (or was it
specifically the US Army?) leased the building and offer the rooms to government
personal. It now offers its own bus transportation and does not use WDW buses.

Michele

Andy Ritchason

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

The Department of Defense leased the hotel (I think the lease was for 99
years), refurbished it, and renamed it the 'Shades of Green'. Only DoD
employees and armed forces (active and retired) can stay there, but the
last I heard the golf course is open to anybody.
mjr...@forest.drew.edu wrote in article <1997Jan8.111045.154008@forest>...

mr...@aol.com

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

In article <32D46A...@surfsouth.com>, Terry Richards
<teri...@surfsouth.com> writes:

>mjr...@forest.drew.edu wrote:
>>
>> Whatever Happened to the Disney Inn...the little hotel next to the golf
>> course?
>>
>> Mary Jane
>

>Disney leased it in a 99-year deal to the military for use as a military
>resort limited to military families. It's been renamed "Shades of
>Green."
>
>The idea was this: Surveys showed that WDW was the top intended vacation
>destination for military families, but military pay put the price of WDW
>hotels out of reach of many servicemen. The military and Disney did up a
>deal, and rooms at "Shades of Green" cost servicemen as little as $47 a
>day, depending on military pay grades. Like guests at the other Disney
>hotels, military families at "Shades of Green" get complimentary
>transportation to the parks. I understand military personnel staying at
>"Shades of Green" also can purchase discounted passports.
>
>--
>Terry Richards
>teri...@surfsouth.com
>http://www.surfsouth.com/~terichar/index.html
>
>"There's nothing more dangerous than a clever sheep." - Monty Python's
>Flying Circus

Although it started out as a long term lease, the hotel was purchased in
January 96 by the organization that runs those things for the military. I
think it is called MWR (Military Welfare and Recreation). They run their
own transportation from the hotel. They also have their own version of the
tickets called a Stars & Stripes Pass. I don't know if this is equal to a
LOS or a Worldpassport. As far as the rates go, these MWR resorts are
supposed to be self supporting (ie no tax dollar subsidy). It kind of
gives you an idea of how much profit Disney is making on the hotel rooms.

Keith
32 days to the WL

Q. How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A. Does it have to be a light bulb?

--The Imagineers

Mike Tuchman

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

m> From: mjr...@forest.drew.edu

m> Whatever Happened to the Disney Inn...the little
m> hotel next to the golf
m> course?

m> Mary Jane

It is now Shades of Green. It may only be used by active and retired
members of the US miltary and current civilian employees of Department of
Defense and sponsored guests of the preceding. The "sponsor" must be present
and checking in, although the sponsor may resevre additional rooms for the same
length of stay.

robs...@aol.com

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

When we went two years ago, my father was a civilian Department of Defense
employee (he was in the Army at one point, but got honorable discharge).

Anyway, we were staying in a time-share a few miles away on 192, but we
bought our passes through Shades of Green. My friend and I bought regular
5-day world hoppers and got like a $25-$30 discount off the going price,
and my parents bought special 2-day tickets. (basically 2 one-day tickets,
but it was one piece of paper). I think these had "Stars and Stripes" as
part of their name. They had a good $5-$8 per day off the normal price.

-Rob
TDC Master Sargeant of Enforcing Movement All the Way to the End of the
Row
GoH '86
Robs...@aol.com

David Morton

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

I was there this last August staying at the AS Music and bought passes for
my family at the Shades of Green(I'm DoD also). The "Stars and Stripes"
beat the MKC price significantly. It was well worth the price of going over
to the Shades of Green to pick up the tickets. However unlike the newer
plastic passes that i saw in use these were paper with a magnetic stripe on
the back, similar to what the Metro uses in DC and San Francisco. They are
unrefundable if you loose them and can be damaged by water. But for DoD or
military they are well worth it.

robs...@aol.com wrote in article
<19970113153...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...