Disney CEO Bob Chapek declares victory in 'Don't Say Gay' controversy

3 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

zinn

ungelesen,
24.09.2022, 03:45:5224.09.22
an
The chief executive of the Walt Disney Company said that the House of
Mouse “stood our ground” against a “barrage of attacks” from “certain
political constituencies” during the “Don’t Say Gay” controversy in
Florida.

Bob Chapek, the CEO of Disney, responded to the political brouhaha which
prompted Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to strip the company of its self-
governing, autonomous status in retaliation for its opposition to a
controversial law governing the teaching of sex education to youngsters.

Disney initially sought to stay away from the issue and not take a
position, but a vocal segment of its workforce demanded that the company
come out in opposition to the legislation.

When management issued a statement condemning the law and vowing to help
defeat it in court, the GOP-dominated state legislature moved against
Disney – one of the largest private employers in the Sunshine State.

Chapek acknowledged to The Hollywood Reporter that the Mouse House was
walking a tightrope. He said that his employees view the company as “a
very cohesive, big, happy family.”

He said the company wanted to “rise above” the “political subterfuge”
which saw “our brand” be “misappropriated or misused to try to fit the
needs of any one particular group’s agenda.”

“These are complex social issues where we absolutely, positively want to
represent the needs and the expectations of our cast members, but we also
realize that sometimes in such a divided world, there’s not alignment
between what possibly large constituencies of our guest and consumer base
are looking for in terms of the kind of content that they want to show
their kids at this particular time,” Chapek told THR.

The CEO said that Disney has found it “very difficult” to satisfy
everyone.

“What we try to do is be everything to everybody,” Chapek said.

“That tends to be very difficult because we’re the Walt Disney Company.”

Chapek added: “When you’re a lightning rod for clicks and for political
podium speeches, the essence of our brand can be misappropriated or
misused to try to fit the needs of any one particular group’s agenda.”

“We want to rise above that.”

Chapek said his employees have his back because “actions speak louder than
words” and “they saw resiliency and consistency no matter how strong the
attacks.”

DeSantis, whose name has been bandied about in political circles as a
potential 2024 contender for the GOP nomination for president, has made
the fight against “woke” corporations a central plank of his
administration.

During an appearance on Sunday near Fort Lauderdale, DeSantis said
Republicans ought to be more willing to take on corporations who stray
into the political space.

“Corporatism is not the same as free enterprise, and I think too many
Republicans have viewed limited government to basically mean whatever is
best for corporate America is how we want to do the economy,” the governor
said on Sunday.

“And my view is — obviously free enterprise is the best economic system —
but that is a means to an end,” DeSantis added.

“It’s a means to having a good fulfilling life and a prosperous society.
It’s not an end in and of itself.”

His comments were reported by the news site Insider.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/12/disney-ceo-bob-chapek-responds-to-dont-say-
gay-controversy/
0 neue Nachrichten