Sue's May AKV Club Level Trip - Plans

Sue/WDW1972

May 24, 2022, 6:31:31 PMMay 24
Who/When/Where:

Who: Sue (63), DVC Member
Holli (57), friend
Chris (35), my son
Amanda (33), my daughter-in-law
Ari (5), my grandson
Dates: May 25 – 30, 2022
Resort: Disney’s Jambo House Resort
Experience: Very Experienced – 32nd stay at AKV

INTRODUCTION:
At long last, I’m back to a club level stay at Jambo House!!! I actually had it booked for last January but before they announced the re-opening, I was sure they still wouldn’t be operating the lounge and canceled in favor of booking Hilton Head. As it turned out my assumption was wrong, but I have no regrets – Hilton Head in a grand villa with 2 friends was so great! Fortunately, I was able to stalk the dvc site and get this stay. As usual, I booked 4 nights club level but then will move to a value studio the final night (half the points). I’ll still have access to the lounge that night, so it’s worth it to me. The final morning I’ll be heading home, so I don’t need the lounge at all.

Unfortunately, demand seems to be exceeding supply still, especially for studios, so when it got to the 7-month window I was not able to book Chris’ family at Jambo House Fri/Sat/Sun nights. The best I could do was Kidani Village next door, which isn’t the end of the world. For Holli, she wanted to come for a couple nights but the weekend nights were the problem. I was able to book her for Thurs/Fri night at Jambo House, and list her in my room spelling her name differently so she can use the lounge.

Chris’ family will be going to the parks. My park pass still includes weekends (until early October), but it’s not likely I’ll be going into the parks with them other than possibly Sunday morning (my moving day). I did Flower & Garden in March, so I don’t “have to” do it again this trip. Hopefully I’ll see them in the lounge.

Checking the menu at Mara I was pleased to see 2 new breakfast items I’d love to try. Since the concierge lounge is basically continental crap and the only hot stuff is oatmeal or stuff like oatmeal, I may not bother to bring my usual eggs and slices of bacon – or at least not one for every day. The appealing menu items are a bacon & gruyere quiche (served w/grapes) and a French toast bread pudding w/vanilla sauce.

Holli really liked the culinary tours pre-covid and if they’re being offered now I know she’d like to do them. I’ve also heard the lounge gets busy, so I’ll be paying attention to that since I arrive solo for the first night. That’ll determine whether I suggest she do any culinary tours solo or I join her. Honestly, she gets a lot more out of them than I do, so I have no problem missing them in favor of securing us a table if necessary.

Last trip I was disappointed that Gideon’s didn’t have the virtual queue open, and with the forecasted weather I couldn’t risk standing in the standby queue. I really would like to try the May cookie (chocolate peanut butter), so I’m going to attempt it again. Although I’ll arrive a bit later, I’m hoping that since it’s Wednesday it will be easier (last trip was last Friday). Of course, had I got in the queue last time it would have meant cookies for me and Holli. Now this trip assuming I join the queue it’ll be cookies for me, Holli, Chris & Amanda – doubling the cost <g>.

The plans so far are:
Wednesday 5/25: Drive to AKV, Gideon’s, Concierge Lounge
Thursday 5/26: Pool, Concierge Lounge
Friday 5/27: Pool, Concierge Lounge
Saturday 5/28: Pool, Concierge Lounge
Sunday 5/29: Animal Kingdom or Pool, Concierge Lounge
Monday 5/30: Drive to Gainesville

Sue/WDW1972

Steve Soares

May 25, 2022, 9:27:03 AMMay 25
> Last trip I was disappointed that Gideon’s didn’t have the virtual queue open, and with the forecasted weather I couldn’t risk standing in the standby queue. I really would like to try the May cookie (chocolate peanut butter), so I’m going to attempt it again. Although I’ll arrive a bit later, I’m hoping that since it’s Wednesday it will be easier (last trip was last Friday). Of course, had I got in the queue last time it would have meant cookies for me and Holli. Now this trip assuming I join the queue it’ll be cookies for me, Holli, Chris & Amanda – doubling the cost <g>.

Doesn't it seem ridiculous that you have to work so hard to buy a
cookie? I've only tried Gideons once and thought the texture was too
mushy. I prefer the peanut butter chocolate chip cookie you can get at
the Disney-run shops like Goofy's and Candy Cauldron at Disney Springs,
also Suri's Sweets at Animal Kingdom. There are probably other shops.
The Bourbon-on-the-rocks cookie at Polite Pig is awesome. For just
$2.50, the chocolate chip cookie at Earl of Sandwich is very good.

Steve S.

Sue/WDW1972

May 25, 2022, 8:44:16 PMMay 25
It is ridiculous, but I like Gideon's cookies so I put up with it. I'll keep these other recommendations in mind though!

Sue/WDW1972