Sue's Oct F&W Trip - Day 5 of 5

Sue/WDW1972

Oct 28, 2022, 5:20:20 PM10/28/22
DAY 5 – Friday 10/28/22
Who: Sue (63), DVC Member
SB (65), my husband

Plan: Disney Springs, Boathouse lunch, Drive to Gainesville

Actual: I slept well again and today was awake but didn’t get up until 5:30. That’s what I typically do on weekends now, since it doesn’t get light outside until after 7. I made my cappuccino and around 7 went out to the kitchen to cook the last couple eggs, sausage and last piece of toast for SB’s breakfast. I finished my banana bread pudding.

Around 8 I packed up most of our stuff and started positioning it by the front door. We’d agreed to head out around 9, so just before then we brought everything downstairs and loaded the car. It was an easy drive over to Disney Springs to park in the Orange garage. I’d told SB I wanted to go to Gideons, and he may grumble once there but he can sit somewhere while I join the queue & then join me to go inside. I put my kindle in my bag so I’ll have something to read while waiting. I’d much rather have the virtual queue, but I doubt they’ll be doing that this early.

Despite this being a Friday the garage was less busy than I’ve ever seen it. We parked in row 3 on level 3, 2nd parking spot. It was a very quick walk down to get through security and then we were inside Disney Springs. Coming up to the corner by Morimoto Asia I held my breath and was shocked to see the Gideon’s line was shorter than I’ve ever seen it! SB went to sit on a shady wall across the street and I joined the queue and did some reading for the next 35 minutes.

As usual they came out and got things open 5-10 minutes earlier than the official 10am opening time. I was so far up in the line we were part of the initial group who was let right into the building. I looked back and the line now extended all the way down the street and wrapped around the corner (I couldn’t see the end from here). I pointed it out to SB and he was shocked that this was all for cookies, lol.

Inside he liked the looks of the coffee cake cookie and the banana bread chocolate chip cookie. Then he saw the cakes and wanted a slice of the blonde oreo cake, but just then one of the workers removed the slice from the case. When it was our turn to order I learned they were out of the cake, so we went back to his 2 cookie choices. I got the pistachio toffee chocolate chip cookie, a bag of bites to take into work and a bottle of water for SB.

I’d thought we’d do some shopping or wandering around here to kill time before our 11am lunch, but noticed SB had worn flip flops rather than his sneakers and decided that probably wasn’t going to work very well. Instead, we sat outside the Gelato shop right across from the Boathouse. He checked out the menu before we sat down.

While there his stomach was feeling unsettled, and he thought a coke or sprite might help. I went into Joffrey’s but they don’t sell soda. I went into the Gelato shop and saw cans of soda on display so I bought a 12-ounce can of coke for $4.26!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn’t believe the price – that’s just nuts! One freakin’ can!

Just before 11 Boathouse opened so we walked over to check in. The people who work here are always so nice – very friendly, welcoming, and they provide great service. We opted for a table inside but by a window. Soon we had ice water (with a carafe left on the table) and a plate of their warm rolls. For lunch we shared a Caesar salad (excellent – and the croutons are soft so easy to spear with your fork) followed by the burger for him and filet mignon sliders for me. His burger came with a mountain of their skinny fries, and he said it was very good. My sliders were outstanding as always. He liked the Boathouse and agreed it’s a place worth returning to in the future.

After settling the check (10% discount for passholders – probably dvc too but didn’t ask) we walked back to the garage and hit the road for home. We were home just after 2. SB had some of each cookie after dinner and declared the banana bread chocolate chip to be the best.

I did take some photos this trip and put them in an album on Snapfish at https://www.snapfish.com/share?via=link&token=ucjdG1Px2x6Yk2qTFz5WcQ/SFO/27952878048060/SNAPFISH

Overall, this ended up being a really nice trip. I’m not likely to ever book a 2-bedroom villa for just the 2 of us but we definitely enjoyed having all the space and separate areas. At the risk of sounding snarky, I’m glad our friends backed out. I don’t like how it played out, but honestly had they been with us the trip would have been very different, and in my opinion less enjoyable. We enjoy spending time with them, but I think at Disney it would have been challenging, as we’re at different ends of the Disney spectrum. I fully understand why they’d want to do more attractions, look in every damn shop, etc since they’re not here very often. That’s exactly what we are NOT focused on. Without them we only had to deal with what each other of us wanted to do, and sometimes that was hard enough!

Since we ended up stuck at Old Key West this trip, I knew I needed to book a long weekend at Boardwalk or Beach Club Villas to do Food & Wine right (and solo). So, my next trip starts November 10th at BCV for 4 nights. It won’t be entirely solo as I think SB might join me at the start in order to spend time with Ari. Chris, Amanda & Ari are also booked to arrive at BCV for 3 nights on November 10th. In terms of SB, we don’t normally share a studio (at least not well), but I guess this will be a preview of how our upcoming HAL cruise in late November will be since we only have one stateroom <g>.

Sue/WDW1972

Steve Soares

Oct 29, 2022, 9:06:21 AM10/29/22
Thanks for posting Sue!