Sue's AKV Club Level - Day 3 of 6

Sue/WDW1972

Sep 2, 2022, 8:55:10 PM9/2/22
DAY 3 – Friday 9/02/22
Who: Sue (63), DVC Member
Holli (58), friend
Chris (35), my son
Amanda (33), my daughter-in-law
Ari (6), my grandson

Plan: Pool, Concierge Lounge

Actual: I slept much better last night, turning in by 10 and not getting up until after 5. I didn’t hear any noise during the night. Once again I made my cappuccino and brought it back to bed, did a little work, then around 7:30 went out to the lounge to see what the offerings were.

Today they had the French toast bread pudding again – 2 days in a row? They had biscuits and sausage gravy today. What I thought was that yesterday was actually the oatmeal with a bowl of bagels in the next spot. They had the small multi-grain croissants so I got one of those and a slice of honeydew and went back to the studio.

Once again it’s a very hot day (“feels like” 87 just after 8:30am, basically no wind/breeze). I changed into a swimsuit/coverup, had an English muffin, filled up my insulated bottle with ice water and headed down to the pool area. Once again I settled on a chaise lounge outside the fenced pool area and like yesterday it was very hot! By 9:30 I had joined others who had moved into the shade to wait for the pool to open.

Holli came down around 9:45 and I told her usually they open a little early – yesterday it was 10 minutes early. They did the same today, so we went in and got 2 chaises next to one of the tables with an umbrella. We started out on the chairs, with me going back and forth to the shower. She didn’t last long before she was in the pool, reading her book along the edge. Eventually the shower wasn’t enough and I got in the pool too for a while.

My final stay on my chaise lounge didn’t last very long – by 11:30 I was in a shady chair at the table. I cooled off there and did some more reading until just after noon, then let Holli know I was heading upstairs. I tried using the app to see what the soup of the day is at Mara but all they had listed is the butternut squash which was there yesterday. I went inside to check it out and there’s nothing to indicate they do a rotating soup of the day any more. They don’t even have the menu up on the boards – guess they want people to use their phones. I headed out – it’s disappointing they don’t have more variety, mainly rotating their excellent soups each day.

As I passed through the lounge I checked the freezer and all that was left were 2 strawberry bars! I put my stuff in my studio then went back out to find a cast member. I asked if I could get a Mickey Bar since the freezer was out of them, and the answer was “of course”. She got the keys and went down the hall to bring a box back. While waiting, one of the other cast members (the one who poured my chenin blanc last night) saw me and asked if I’d like a glass of chenin blanc. I told her I was waiting for a Mickey Bar and didn’t think that would pair very well so no thank you! Once I had my Mickey bar I ate it in the room – that made sense since when it started breaking up a bit I ate over the sink and didn’t make any mess. It was delicious! I can’t imagine eating one in the parks when it’s hot like this though.

After “lunch” I took my shower and got dressed. The beige antelope are back, mostly lounging around near some of their food. Before long they left and a couple ankole cattle took over their food area and a giraffe stood behind them munching on high leaves. I watched them for a few minutes then grabbed the laptop and went out to the lounge.

At one point I thought a glass of prosecco sounded nice so I ordered one. The cast member came back with a big wine glass full of it – not what I wanted at all, lol! She said the champagne glasses are small so she used this glass. I didn’t want to hurt her feelings but I was glad she was going off duty soon so she wouldn’t see it go to waste <g>. I drank a little, but most of it ended up in the trash.

Holli showed up somewhere after 3:30, having spent most of the afternoon in her room ready (after a Mickey bar). The lounge was actually pretty busy – busier than the previous 2 days. We pulled the next table over to make a table big enough for the 5 of us.

Tonight the hot foods were the seafood stew w/coconut rice and the Durban chicken over sweet corn pudding. Holli loved the seafood stew (I don’t eat that) and we both really liked the chicken. The sweet corn pudding was like polenta – a perfect sweet pairing to the spicy Durban chicken.

I’d been keeping up with Chris & Amanda on their trip up and as usual they ran into traffic delays. It ended up being less bad than expected – ideal arrival would have been 6 but a situation indicated they might barely make it by 7, however they were here around 6:35. Their room was about as far away as you can get (of course) and they went there first only to find none of their magic bands worked. Thankfully Chris got the phone thing to work on the 3rd try.

They texted on their way to the lounge and Holli met them at the back gate to let them up. I had their key on the table. As always Ari was excited to see Grandma Sue and I was thrilled to be with him. There was about 15 minutes before the food ended so they quickly got plates of food. I’d gotten Chris a couple beers, Amanda her Sprite, Ari a milk and a plate of salami (Ari) before they arrived.

They enjoyed everything and we had a nice time. Back home I ran across a box of packaged Pokemon cookies, and knowing Ari loved Pokemon I bought them and brought them with me. He needed to go to the bathroom and my studio is closer than the restroom so I took him there and showed him the box of cookies – he was excited! We brought the box out to the lounge and gave it to Amanda to take to their room.

We stayed in the lounge until the desserts came out, which was about 15 minutes before the 8pm scheduled time. I took Ari up and he got 3 cake cones and 2 chocolate chip cookies. He ate it all, too. I got a cake cone and a Kenyan coffee tart (really chocolate). Amanda loved the cake cones also, saying she could eat the whole tray, lol. Holli got a couple desserts and also tried 3 of the 4 liquors. She liked 2 of them.

Since the desserts were out early we were finished up by 8:15 or so and headed back to our rooms. Holli is planning to leave early tomorrow to avoid any traffic caused by the Florida football game (she’s a season ticket holder and will be attending the game). Chris, Amanda & Ari are headed to the Magic Kingdom and I’ll do my morning at the pool.

Today was another delightful day, even better than the day before thanks to significantly less work interference. The rest of the weekend should be pretty much work free. It’s unbelievably hot, which is really unpleasant, but it’s just as hot & disgusting at home too. It’s such a pleasure being here and being so pampered in the concierge lounge!

Sue/WDW1972