We're Back!

Peppermint Patty

Nov 30, 2021, 3:55:27 PM11/30/21
We stayed for a week at Port Orleans Riverside. First time in Alligator Bayou and we were an easy walk to the main building and bus stop. The beds and pillows were unbelievably comfy! We slept great. My 7-year-old granddaughter loved her little murphy bed. My 11-year-old granddaughter slept with her mom in a queen-size bed leaving me a queen-size bed all to myself!

It wasn't as crowded as I expected it to be at Thanksgiving. We did manage to ride almost everything we wanted to. My younger granddaughter was finally tall enough to go on all the rides she wanted to go on so she was thrilled.

The food we had was great. Portions were much larger than I expected and we ate very well at Liberty Tree Tavern, Boma, Columbia Harbor House, Mama Melrose's, and even our food court. Thanksgiving dinner was in Cinderella's Castle with a very hefty price tag. But we did enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving dinner there. The glass slipper desserts were $25 each and each granddaughter got one. They were magical and really special.

We found all cast members to be friendly and helpful. Bus service was not horrible considering the crowds.

I have two or suggestions if you will. Two days I tried to get an ECV. I have bursitis in both hips and some days I just can't do all that walking. Within two hours of park opening in MK and AK they were sold out. I was 19th on one waiting list and was messaged that an ECV was available as we were riding back to our resort. It would be really helpful if there was more than one place to get wheelchairs, ECVs, and strollers in the parks.

My other suggestion is to get rid of Genie and Genie Plus. After what we pay for tickets and for our resort rooms, it's criminal that we are charged $15 a day per person to go on some rides. I say some because if you want to go on the E-ticket rides you pay an additional $9, $12, or $15. We wouldn't have been able to ride all the rides we did if my daughter hadn't purchased this for us every day. I think that there has to be a better way! What was wrong with fast passes? Staying on site in a Disney resort should afford guests some perks like not charging for rides. That is what we buy tickets for! Sorry about the rant but I would say that while not an epic fail altogether, Disney can do better.

Sorry about the rants. We did have a very good time all things considered. It was our first visit in two years and we were able to ride new rides that weren't open when we were there in 2019.

Rudeney

Dec 9, 2021, 8:31:11 AM12/9/21
On 11/30/2021 2:55 PM, Peppermint Patty wrote:

Hi Patty! I'm glad you had a good trip!

> The food we had was great. Portions were much larger than I expected
> and we ate very well at Liberty Tree Tavern, Boma, Columbia Harbor
> House, Mama Melrose's, and even our food court.

Portion size has never been an issues at WDW, but I get disappointed
when I look at what makes up that portion. Like most restaurants, it's
a huge pile of cheap, empty carbs with a tiny amount of protein. But it
is usually tasty.

> Thanksgiving dinner
> was in Cinderella's Castle with a very hefty price tag. But we did
> enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving dinner there. The glass slipper
> desserts were $25 each and each granddaughter got one. They were
> magical and really special.

I can't imagine what that bill was like! :-)

> I have two or suggestions if you will. Two days I tried to get an
> ECV. I have bursitis in both hips and some days I just can't do all
> that walking. Within two hours of park opening in MK and AK they
> were sold out. I was 19th on one waiting list and was messaged that
> an ECV was available as we were riding back to our resort. It would
> be really helpful if there was more than one place to get
> wheelchairs, ECVs, and strollers in the parks.

I have always heard that this is a problem. And people complain about
the size and slow speeds of the WDW ECV's. I think the consensus is to
rent form an off-site company that will deliver.

> My other suggestion is to get rid of Genie and Genie Plus. After
> what we pay for tickets and for our resort rooms, it's criminal that
> we are charged $15 a day per person to go on some rides. I say some
> because if you want to go on the E-ticket rides you pay an additional
> $9, $12, or $15. We wouldn't have been able to ride all the rides we
> did if my daughter hadn't purchased this for us every day. I think
> that there has to be a better way!

Yeah, I have not experienced this yet. It remain to be seen if I will.
First of all, I'm not going to WDW until masks are no longer required,
and then if I have to pay extra to ride the popular attractions, then no!

> What was wrong with fast passes?

They were free.

> Staying on site in a Disney resort should afford guests some perks
> like not charging for rides. That is what we buy tickets for! Sorry
> about the rant but I would say that while not an epic fail
> altogether, Disney can do better.

Unless people stop paying to visit the parks and stay at the resorts,
DIS will see this as hugely successful and probably even tweak it to
cost MORE!

> Sorry about the rants. We did have a very good time all things
> considered. It was our first visit in two years and we were able to
> ride new rides that weren't open when we were there in 2019.

January will be four years since I've been. I had planned to take Katie
this fall to celebrate a big milestone for her, but with masks and park
reservations and all that crap, we've decided to wait.

--

- RODNEY

Next WDW Vacation?
Who knows!

Need to know more about RADP (rec.arts.disney.parks)?

http://www.radp.org
http://allears.net/btp/radp_bk.htm
http://allears.net/tp/abrev.htm

Are you still accessing RADP via Google? Why?
Get instructions on how to access to the "real"
RADP Usenet Group here:

http://meets.radp.org/usenet.htm

Peppermint Patty

Dec 9, 2021, 9:54:20 AM12/9/21
On Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 8:31:11 AM UTC-5, Rudeney wrote:
> On 11/30/2021 2:55 PM, Peppermint Patty wrote:
>

> Portion size has never been an issues at WDW, but I get disappointed
> when I look at what makes up that portion. Like most restaurants, it's
> a huge pile of cheap, empty carbs with a tiny amount of protein. But it
> is usually tasty.

We ate at at least one sit-down restaurant each day. Presentation and
portions were impressive especially having edible flowers included in
almost every meal! The girls got a kick out of that.

> I can't imagine what that bill was like! :-)

It was quite a shock, let me tell you!

> I have always heard that this is a problem. And people complain about
> the size and slow speeds of the WDW ECV's. I think the consensus is to
> rent form an off-site company that will deliver.

I have never had a problem getting an ECV before. I did rent on for two
days at least. I don't mind the slow speed. In the future, though I will
rent from an off-site vendor.

> Yeah, I have not experienced this yet. It remain to be seen if I will.
> First of all, I'm not going to WDW until masks are no longer required,
> and then if I have to pay extra to ride the popular attractions, then no!
> > What was wrong with fast passes?
> They were free.

Exactly. I think they're trying to make up for the $$ they "lost" when
they were closed.

> Unless people stop paying to visit the parks and stay at the resorts,
> DIS will see this as hugely successful and probably even tweak it to
> cost MORE!

Oh you are probably right! That all being said it was nice to be able
to walk right onto popular rides like 7 Dwarfs Mine train and Flights
of Passage but the cost was too much. If my daughter hadn't taken
care of these for us we'd probably still be standing in lines LOL!

> January will be four years since I've been. I had planned to take Katie
> this fall to celebrate a big milestone for her, but with masks and park
> reservations and all that crap, we've decided to wait.

When we first started planning this it looked like COVID was finally
starting to recede. Then the delta variant came around and booster
shots and we were too excited to change our plans. Masks were only
required indoors so at least we didn't have to wear them all day.

Darrell Jeffress

Dec 9, 2021, 3:03:56 PM12/9/21
On 11/30/2021 12:55 PM, Peppermint Patty wrote:
> . . . . . . and we ate very well at Liberty Tree Tavern, Boma, Columbia Harbor House, Mama Melrose's, and even our food court.

I'm curious what things were like at Boma. I think it's the only place
at WDW that is actually operating as a buffet. It's our favorite
restaurant - not just at WDW, but anywhere.

We are scheduled to go in late January, first time in two years, but
part of me is dreading the trip. Despite there being very little Covid
in Florida, I get the sense that Disney is just itching to add more
restrictions. (They still have not reopened 'Enchanted Tales", because
they're worried about the kids. Don't get me started.)

And if the airlines do as well, I may find myself driving from
California. I figure I can make it in three days each way.

Nicholas, known in some parts as Darrell.

Min & Bill

Dec 9, 2021, 4:06:37 PM12/9/21
Nicholas,

We have been to Boma twice since it reopened and have enjoyed both
times. The setup is the same and the offerings appear to be similar to
before the closure.

You have to wear a mask when you at not sitting at your table, so on
entering, exiting and in the buffet line.

Min and Bill

Peppermint Patty

Dec 10, 2021, 9:08:52 AM12/10/21

> I'm curious what things were like at Boma. I think it's the only place
> at WDW that is actually operating as a buffet. It's our favorite
> restaurant - not just at WDW, but anywhere.

Boma was good. I was surprised how crowded it was. The food
was good and we all enjoyed it, even fussy pants granddaughter.

Little by little things are opening up. You don't need a mask outside
so that's a plus. Just in certain queues, inside rides and attractions,
going into stores, and entering restaurants.

> And if the airlines do as well, I may find myself driving from
> California. I figure I can make it in three days each way.

We had to wear masks in the airports and on the planes unless
we were drinking or eating. Thankfully there were no incidents
with unruly passengers. I think I feared that more than COVID!