After O.C. school district bans critical race theory, it faces Cal State Fullerton backlash

zinn

Oct 20, 2022, 3:39:07 AM10/20/22
Months after an Orange County school district banned teaching critical
race theory, Cal State Fullerton has told school officials it is pausing
placement of its student teachers in the system's K-12 classrooms, citing
concerns that district policies conflict with university goals that
promote equity and inclusion in education.

Leaders in the university’s College of Education — among the biggest
providers of teachers into the county's public schools — told officials in
the Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District that they did not
believe the district would be able to support its student teachers whose
training is rooted in diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice and
tenets of critical race theory, according to a statement from Lisa
Kirtman, dean of the College of Education, and the college's leadership.

“Clinical practicums, fieldwork and student teaching are major components
of effective teacher preparation,” the statement said. “It is critical
that we place teacher candidates in districts that support their growth
and development.”

The college is open to working with the district to provide learning
experiences that value "freedom of thought and expression" for the diverse
student population.

Kirtman declined to comment. In an email, a university spokesperson said
“the situation is still unfolding.”

Six student teachers from Cal State Fullerton are working in the
Placentia-Yorba Linda district this academic year, down from the 70 or 80
teachers that have typically been placed in the system.

In a message to families, district Supt. Michael Matthews said leaders in
CSUF’s College of Education asked the district over the summer about its
commitment to “providing a just, equitable and inclusive education” after
the school board narrowly approved a measure in April banning the teaching
of critical race theory.

The resolution, which passed 3-2, encourages culturally relevant
instruction and states the district “values all students and promotes
equity and equality.” But it also says the district will “not allow the
use of critical race theory as a framework to guide such efforts,” and
that “other similar frameworks” cannot be used to guide teachings on race.

Cal State Fullerton sent a letter to the 24,300-student district at the
time, discouraging the move, according to a school board member who read a
portion of the letter at a public meeting. Another school board member
read aloud another part of the letter in which the university said it is
proud its students "come to you with the education to effectively explain
and include CRT, as well as ethnic studies in their classrooms."

School board member Marilyn Anderson said the university statement
bolstered her support of the resolution banning critical race theory,
saying, "it is important to pass because our teachers are coming into our
district learning these principles and how to incorporate them in a K-12
setting. This is not imagination."

It is not clear whether educators in the Placentia-Yorba Linda district
have ever taught lessons on critical race theory, a university-level
academic framework that seeks to examine how racial inequality and racism
are embedded in legal systems, policies and institutions in America.

But Republican activists and lawmakers have denigrated the academic theory
in recent years as part of their drive to restrict how race and racism are
taught in public schools.

School board member Leandra Blades, a key supporter of the district's
critical race theory ban, said Cal State Fullerton's decision validates
her April vote.

"I look forward to seeing what colleges and universities we can partner
with in the coming months," Blades said in a statement. "The only students
being harmed by this political stance [are] the student teachers at CSUF."

In his message to families, Matthews said the school district assured the
college it would provide a “just, equitable, and inclusive education for
all students.”

“We are disappointed by their decision to pause the placement of new
student teachers in our district,” he said. “We value our partnership with
CSUF, and we look forward to continuing the discussion about renewing
their placement of student teachers in PYLUSD.”

Teacher candidates at Cal State Fullerton participate in 150 hours of
fieldwork during their first semester of student teaching, and 450 hours
during their second semester, according to the college’s website. The
university partners with 14 school districts to place student teachers.

Linda Manion, president of the Assn. of Placentia-Linda Educators, an
alliance that represents 1,100 educators, said many new hires in the
district graduate from Cal State Fullerton. She worries the district will
lose out on prospective teachers in the midst of a national teacher
shortage.

“Cal State Fullerton is our lifeblood. They really are a lifeline for our
district,” she said. “When we don’t have that pipeline of new teachers
coming in, those teachers are going to go to other districts around us."

Other colleges in the area place student teachers in Placentia-Yorba
Linda, but most come from Cal State Fullerton, Manion said.

In a statement, the Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District said Cal
State Fullerton is the only university to halt student teacher placements
in the system.

“Our school district now has a larger capacity to accept student teacher
placement requests from other universities,” the statement said. “We
appreciate the opportunity to meet and train high-quality teachers.”

Some teachers and parents in the district worry that the lack of extra
help from student teachers will harm classrooms at a time when many
students are focusing on academic recovery and need extra attention.

One teacher who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of political
backlash, said teachers are already stretched thin and the removal of
student teachers increases their workload.

Student teachers typically spend a couple of weeks observing a classroom
before transitioning to running the classroom under the guidance of a
regular teacher.

“I was supposed to get a student teacher this semester but I didn’t,” the
teacher said. “Now we can’t teach the teachers of tomorrow.”

Alex Siemons, a parent of two high school students in the district, said
his daughter benefited from having two Cal State Fullerton student
teachers in her orchestra class last year.

“It has a direct impact on the ability to teach kids in our district,” he
said, adding he views the decision by Cal State Fullerton as a censure of
the ban on critical race theory in the district. “The outcome of what
happened is hurting kids, teachers, student teachers.”

Critical race theory remains a key issue in next month’s school board
elections. Carrie Buck and Karin Freeman — the two board members who voted
against the April resolution — are up for reelection.

Their challengers are opposed to critical race theory, and are endorsed by
the Republican Party of Orange County and two other school board members.

Times staff writer Melissa Gomez contributed to this story.

This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers/after-o-c-school-district-bans-
critical-race-theory-it-faces-cal-state-fullerton-backlash/ar-
AA138RBV?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=aa03cf99302e45cb85fa762b19373a45

Scout

Oct 20, 2022, 8:51:59 AM10/20/22

"zinn" <zi...@reno.us> wrote in message news:XnsAF366A...@0.0.0.2...
> Months after an Orange County school district banned teaching critical
> race theory, Cal State Fullerton has told school officials it is pausing
> placement of its student teachers in the system's K-12 classrooms, citing
> concerns that district policies conflict with university goals that
> promote equity and inclusion in education.

I fail to see how one has anything to do with the other.

Indeed the basic tenants of CRT seems to be blaming one group of people for
the ills that occurred to another group of people and that the 1st group
should be blamed for everything. Further their promoted 'solution' is to now
discriminate against the former to favor the later.. even though none of
those alive to day are responsible for any of it.

In short, they want to push people for the ills that might have been done by
their great-great-great-...- grandparents even if yours did nothing but
you're to blame simply because of the color of your skin.

And wrapping this racism in the cloak of 'science' by asserting it as a
Theory does not alter the fundamentally racist nature of it.

max headroom

Oct 20, 2022, 12:22:16 PM10/20/22
In news:XnsAF366A...@0.0.0.2, zinn <zi...@reno.us> typed:

> Months after an Orange County school district banned teaching critical
> race theory, Cal State Fullerton has told school officials it is pausing
> placement of its student teachers in the system's K-12 classrooms, citing
> concerns that district policies conflict with university goals that
> promote equity and inclusion in education.

> Leaders in the university's College of Education - among the biggest
> providers of teachers into the county's public schools - told officials in
> the Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District that they did not
> believe the district would be able to support its student teachers whose
> training is rooted in diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice and
> tenets of critical race theory, according to a statement from Lisa
> Kirtman, dean of the College of Education, and the college's leadership....

Good news for the Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District -- it won't have
to tell Cal State Fullerton it's not interested in its "woke" student teachers!

The tide is turning regarding "woke" grads--

https://freebeacon.com/campus/citing-concern-for-free-speech-12-federal-judges-say-they-wont-take-clerks-from-yale-law-school/