Sue's May 2022 Hilton Head Trip - Day 6 of 6

Sue/WDW1972

May 9, 2022, 2:34:25 PM5/9/22
DAY 6 – Monday 5/9/22
Who: Sue (63), DVC Member
SB (64), my husband

Plan: Hilton Head Diner, Drive to Gainesville

Actual: We had a relaxing last evening in the villa. SB finished up his carrot cake but I ended up taking my almondine tart home (more than ¾ of it). We ate the last 2 turtle cookies from Kroger and he ate the last banana. Basically we did pretty good, and what’s left is all transportable back to Gainesville (we brought a big and small cooler but probably only need to use the big one). Oh, and the sun finally came out about 7:30 – just in time for sunset shortly after 8!

I slept well once again and got up just after 5. It’s always sad knowing this is the last time I’ll be waking up here for a while – the next time will be January, which feels like a long time away. I made my cappuccino and enjoyed that while watching the local news & doing puzzles online. I got up around 6:45 to take my shower. SB was still sleeping, which is really late for him!

He was up and getting ready for his shower by 7:30. I’ had packed up everything but the kitchen at that point and decided to make a trip down to the car while I was waiting. We were both out the door by 7:45 and made the short drive to Hilton Head diner. They weren’t busy when we arrived, but quite a few more people were there when we left.

Service is always good here and so is the food. Their French toast is made with 2 thick slices of challah bread, and it’s so delicious! I always get that and today was no exception. SB wanted a big breakfast, so that’s what he ordered – the Big Breakfast. It has 2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 pancakes (huge ones) and choice of hashbrowns, home fries or grits. Our server was very good, and the food was delicious. We were out of there just after 8:30.

The drive home was uneventful – no traffic slowdowns or accidents. I was shocked to see the traffic coming onto the island was really heavy – bumper to bumper in both lanes for miles! What is that about?? We breezed on past, with no traffic in our direction. Just before 12:30 we pulled into the garage and unloaded the car – the trip officially over.

Even with the unusual weather this was a great trip. I love our restaurants at Hilton Head (especially Poseidon) and the relaxing, lazy pace we keep. I wish I could stay longer, but I really think longer wouldn’t be as appreciated by SB. If he didn’t like Hilton Head so much I’d just plan to go without him and stay longer (after retirement) but that’s not likely to happen.

Being here over Mother’s Day wasn’t a problem after all – our 4pm Poseidon was perfect! It’s better for me to leave work on Wednesday rather than Tuesday, so while I’m working I’ll keep the same Wednesday-Monday plan. In 2023 Mother’s Day will be the following weekend but I’ll pay attention to the date year by year and plan accordingly.

My next Hilton Head trip will be mid-January when I’ll share a grand villa again with Holli & Vickie for 5 nights. That’s a nice trip too, but I really prefer Hilton Head when the weather is warm enough for the beach.

I’ve got a couple WDW trips coming up in May – first 2 nights at Boardwalk to visit family visiting from New Hampshire and then 5 nights at Jambo House – FINALLY back in Club Level (first time since the pandemic)! Holli will join me for part of it, as will Chris, Amanda & Ari. We can’t wait to get back to the real concierge lounge!

Sue/WDW1972

Steve Soares

May 10, 2022, 8:47:28 AM5/10/22
Thanks for the trip report Sue!

Steve S.

Judy Fallon

May 11, 2022, 6:26:41 PM5/11/22
On Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 8:47:28 AM UTC-4, Steve Soares wrote:
> Thanks for the trip report Sue!
>
> Steve S.

Thank you Sue for posting here. Did you also post it on the RADP FB page? I didn’t see it but don’t think I have access to the new page.
I always enjoy your TRs.
Judy

Sue/WDW1972

May 11, 2022, 7:13:34 PM5/11/22
I did Judy - on the group Rodney recently set up.

Sue/WDW1972
Message has been deleted

Judy Fallon

May 12, 2022, 10:51:14 AM5/12/22
I could only find the old one. Oh well, no worries.