Sue's Nov F&W Trip - Day 4 of 4

Sue/WDW1972

Nov 13, 2022, 6:32:15 PM11/13/22
DAY 4 – Sunday 11/13/22
Who: Sue (64), DVC Member
Chris (36), my son
Amanda (34), my daughter-in-law
Ari (6), my grandson

Plan: Pool/Beach, T-Rex or Lava Lounge

Actual: I had a bit of a rough night, waking around 1:30 with a tickle in my throat that quickly progressed to a coughing spell. That repeated a couple more times before I finally got up just after 5:30. I made my cappuccino, took daytime cold meds and went back to bed to watch the local news & do online stuff. Now it’s looking like my afternoon by the pool may have been replaced by showers (no sun) as the cold front passes. All I can do it hope for the best at this point.

The others stopped by around 7 to drop off their stuff and say goodbye. I’ll see them again Thursday when I spend the night at their place (dental appointment), then again November 29th. I decided instead of cooking breakfast I’d finish the apple oatmeal cookie from Germany – one less thing to transport home, and oatmeal is breakfast food <g>.

After they left I lounged around some more, spent a little time out on the balcony, then showered & dressed for the day. I re-checked the menus at T-Rex and Lava Lounge and decided Lava Lounge would be my destination. Although the French onion soup at T-Rex sounds appealing, eating outside by the water is even more appealing.

Around 9:45 I went to the car and drove to the Orange garage in Disney Springs. There was a steady stream of people arriving, but I still got a very close parking spot. By the time I left around noon or 12:30 the Lime garage was full and things were definitely crowded. I walked over towards Gideon’s and the end of the line was around the corner and all the way past Morimoto Asia (across from Homecoming). It was insane! It was still 5-10 minutes before they even opened. I asked the cast member at the door if she knew when the virtual queue might open and she seemed very nice but said probably noon. That didn’t make sense – it’s too late on such a crowded day. But, I thanked her and decided to walk down to the West Side and then see if the virtual queue would be running on my way back by here.

They’ve got the Christmas Tree Stroll going on, so I stopped to look at many of the trees. Honestly, many are not that impressive – and they’re fairly small. Some of them were cute or creative, however. I noticed the group with the carillon (Cast in Bronze) is now set up between what was Pleasure Island and the West Side. I always enjoyed catching their performances years ago, but figured I’d be long gone from Disney Springs before they had any performances here.

I wandered down as far as Cirque du Soleil before turning around to head back. Sure enough, as I got to Gideon’s they had opened the virtual queue. I joined, and was told it would be 90 minutes (at 10:30). I figured that would work – if I showed up for lunch right at 11 I’d have plenty of time. I continued wandering around Disney Springs. It sprinkled off and on, and I ducked into World of Disney to kill some time. It’s amazing the quantity of merchandise people buy! There was nothing I needed, which I was very happy about when I saw the lines to check out! Once back outside the rain started again so I browsed in the Co-Op, the tea store (used to be Gourmet Pantry), Christmas store, and Art of Disney.

It was raining steadily by now, and people were lined up in the rain waiting for Rainforest Café to open in 5-10 minutes so I bypassed them and went down to Lava Lounge. Nobody was there but when I saw a staff he confirmed they’d be open at 11. I stood near the entrance, under a big umbrella and waited for the bar tender to arrive and get set up.

Another party came while I was waiting, so at 11 we both took tables along the railing. It was nice at first, but then the light rain was blowing on me so I moved to the other seat. I ordered a glass of sauvignon blanc and the tomato arugula flatbread. More people arrived, but it wasn’t ever crowded while I was there. It was nice and comfortable since the clouds blocked the sun.

No sooner did they deliver my flatbread when I got the text from Gideon’s that it was time – and it was only 60 minutes! The flatbread was really large (8 pieces) and pretty good – I liked it ok but doubt I’ll order it again. The other bartender had stopped by each table earlier chatting & being friendly so I got his attention and explained Gideon’s was calling, lol – and I needed the check with my birthday credit applied and a box. I ate 3 pieces of the flatbread and that was enough – now the rest is in the fridge. My lunch used up $23.99 of my $25 birthday credit so I left a cash tip and headed out.

Chris & Amanda had waited 100 minutes for Flight of Passage this morning, and had just ordered lunch (probably at Flame Tree) when I signed up for the virtual queue. While I was at Lava Lounge they were heading out of the park and then when I got the early call to join the queue they decided to wait for me at Beach Club Villas (they had one of my extra magic bands). Chris wanted the special cookie for November – chocolate pumpkin crumb and I got peanut butter for Amanda and the chocolate chip banana bread for me. This month the bites are white chocolate and I think they’re not having them every day. I don’t like white chocolate at all, so I wasn’t tempted.

Once I had the cookies I let Chris know I was headed back, got the car and drove to the resort. They were hanging out in my room so I took my cookie and gave them the box. I offered the flatbread to Chris, but he didn’t take it. They headed home (3-hour drive) and I changed into a swimsuit and went down to the quiet pool. The sun was back out again – for now.

I did some reading and then it started to rain again so I moved under the umbrella at the nearby table. After it passed I moved my chair out to the sun but left my stuff under the umbrella. At one point I started coughing – that annoying tickle that you can’t get rid of and what little water I had with me wasn’t doing the trick. Eventually it calmed down a bit so I gathered up my stuff and went to the room for a cough drop. It wasn’t worth trying for more pool time so I packed up what I could and then settled down to update the report.

I watched some other ship and then a HAL ship sail from Port Everglades and then about 4:30 went out for a walk around Crescent Lake. I wasn’t in any hurry so I took some pictures, browsed in the Screen Door, and then sat on one of the bench swings on the beach for a while. When I first went outside there were some sunny spots but soon the thick dark clouds filled in so there was no visible sunset tonight. I was back in the room by 5:45.

The flatbread just wasn’t appealing to me at all, so that will go in the trash tomorrow morning. I’d brought a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers but so far have only had some of the wine. I decided tonight would be a cheese & crackers night – since I don’t have access to Epcot for Food & Wine Festival.

Today the weather was disappointing, but it was still a nice relaxing day. I won’t order the flatbread again – live and learn. Tonight I’ll watch some tv and do some online stuff, just like I’d be doing at home. In the morning I hope to be on the road by 6am for the drive back to Gainesville (and going to work).

This was a great little trip, and it was fun spending time with Chris’ family. I LOVED Guardians of the Galaxy, and will look forward to riding again some day. The Food & Wine Festival was great this year as well – the food choices and quality are excellent. I did better than than I did at the restaurants this trip <g>.

My next trip is a HAL cruise (yay!!!!). This one’s with SB, so hopefully we won’t want to kill each other. Originally it was planned with Pete & Judy and Fran, but since Pete passed away Judy wasn’t up for doing the cruise just yet. So, it’ll be me, SB & Fran. SB & I will head down to spend the night with Chris, Amanda & Ari on 11/29 then make the 2-hour drive to board the Eurodam (and meet Fran at the pier or on the ship) on 11/30.

The next DVC trip will be in January, when Holli, Vickie & I return to a grand villa at Hilton Head for 5 nights! The next WDW trip will be 2 nights here at Beach Club Villas in early March prior to another HAL cruise. Thanks for reading, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the United States (belated Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians).

Sue/WDW1972

Steve Soares

Nov 14, 2022, 7:15:42 AM11/14/22
Thanks for posting Sue. I hope you feel better!

Steve S.