Haunted Mansion - DON'T CHANGE A THING!

DCD

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
The rumors of "changes" to the Haunted Mansion are somewhat disturbing to
me. The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, and I could think
of nothing therein that needs improvement.

SUGGESTION TO DISNEY: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

DCD

Mbclewis

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
>The rumors of "changes" to the Haunted Mansion are somewhat disturbing to
>me. The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, and I could think
>of nothing therein that needs improvement.

Have you been on the one at paris it is a better ride, so maybe a revamp is
due.

Martin

MAH4546

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
>The rumors of "changes" to the Haunted Mansion are somewhat disturbing to
>me. The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, and I could think
>of nothing therein that needs improvement.
>
>SUGGESTION TO DISNEY: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

From wht I have heard, the chnages involve ringing the mansion back to its
orginal state in 1971.
mah...@aol.com
Mark Herzberg-Miami,FL
Hop aboard the LEGO Express Monorail at:
http://members.aol.com/MAH4546/index.html
El venir pronto en español!
Venez bientôt en français!
Kommen bald auf Deutsch!

Ariel Leviathan

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Robin Williams?
To replace Paul Frees?
I mean, he has a lot of talent, he can do the GhostHost very good, but Paul Frees's role is a classic!
it's a part of the Mansion that is so connected to it, that if they'll replace it, it will change the whole ride!
Even Phantom Manor, in Paris, has a scene with Frees's lines & voice.

- Ariel Leviathan
Mark Himes wrote in message <35E44CD4...@mail.dec.com>...
Does the HM in paris have Robin Williams' voice ?

Prob'ly not !

A revamp using Robin's voice would likely be a disaster
and "dis-credit" this attraction..... unless, of course, we would
get "serious", appropriate response and character from Mr. Williams....
(but "I" am not yet convinced)

Regards
Mark
(remove leading C in return address to email me direct)

Mbclewis wrote:

>The rumors of "changes" to the Haunted Mansion are somewhat disturbing to
>me. The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, and I could think
>of nothing therein that needs improvement.

Have you been on the one at paris it is a better ride, so maybe a revamp is
due.

Martin

Steve Preskitt

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On 26 Aug 1998 19:48:34 GMT, mah...@aol.com (MAH4546) wrote:

>>The rumors of "changes" to the Haunted Mansion are somewhat disturbing to
>>me. The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, and I could think
>>of nothing therein that needs improvement.
>>

>>SUGGESTION TO DISNEY: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

'Zactly! Besides, even if it *were* necessary to redo the Ghost Host,
I think that James Earl Jones would be *much* better in that capacity
than Robin, except that everyone would say, "Wow, that's James Earl
Jones". Not too many people know Paul Frees off the cuff...

Steve

Jenn Mandelion

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
DCD wrote:
>The rumors of "changes" to the Haunted Mansion are somewhat disturbing to
>me. The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, and I could
think
>of nothing therein that needs improvement.
>
>SUGGESTION TO DISNEY: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

I know the rumor came from a reputable source... but I don't buy it!

Lots of stuff at WDW has completely sucked lately... and even tho I don't
agree with the choices, I can see the corporate reasoning behind the krappy
decisions. For example:

1. Closing Toad - They want the prime real estate to sell more pooh.
2. Re-Doing Tikis - The show wasn't a large enough draw as it was, so they
decided to incorporate two of the new popular characters to give it a new
audience.
3. 20K Sitting Empty - Probably just costs a lot to maintain... so to save
$, they shut it down.
4. Adding McDonalds - Parents probably appreciate a place to feed their
kids (and themselves) cheaply... and in turn are more likely to visit the
parks more frequently. And by bringing in McDs, they don't have to lower
their dining profit margin, and they have a happy little corporate
relationship they can count on for advertising support every time a new
Disney movie comes out.

Those are just a few, and altho a lot of us think they suck... I'm sure we
can all see the thinking behind the decision (weasely or not).

But sticking Robin Williams' voice on two hugely popular attractions? THAT
IS JUST INSANITY!!! Why would they update two attractions that already have
a huge draw? Pirates and the Mansion are probably two of the biggest
percent per gate admission attractions. The only reason they ever renovate
stuff is to attract more people to the park, or to advertise a particular
property... why would they spend a chunk of change renovating something that
people already like?

Besides... having Robin Williams' presence in Timekeeper and DisneyQuest is
enough already. If they use him anywhere else... they run the risk of a
marketing disaster. What if Robin is caught on tape screwing a horse or
something? I'm being extremely sarcastic, but do you see my point?

The only theory that holds any weight is that maybe the copyright is running
out on the current voice-overs for Pirates and the HM. Does anyone have any
idea when these recordings were made... and how long Disney can use them
without having to cough up more cash?

BTW - I have a history for being extremely naive... especially where Disney
is concerned. I just can't believe they'd screw with two attractions that
are already perfect (well, almost perfect... I want the un-PC version of
Pirates back). But as a friend mentioned earlier tonight... perhaps I'm
giving them too much credit.

-jenn

Save Mr. Toad's Wild Ride! <http://www.savetoad.com>

LITTLEPJoo

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
Anyone else notice the "fresh" flowers near the coffin in the Haunted Mansion?
When did they do this and why?
PJ

dav...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
In article <6s2lrc$iu3$1...@birch.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,

Jenn,

I completely agree with you. I'm new here, but I am a proud Toad supporter
and am completely sickened by what Ei$ner is doing to the parks.

Aside from the money issues, I'm beginning to get very suspicious that Ei$ner
is trying to completely reinvent Disney to give *everything* a slick '90's
feel, drive out as much of the Classic Disney culture from that *horrible*
period (the company's entire history before he came) as he can, and trying
to put his own misguided "stamp", or "spin" on Walt's Legacy.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they scrap the film soundtrack to
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to get rid of all those "outdated" voices,
replacing them with an "updated" version featuring several of Ei$ner's
90's celebrity chums, although I shouldn't say this, cause those idiots
will probably think its a good idea.

It's nothing against Robin, but like you said, he's in two new attractions
already. I don't care if Paul Frees' voice or Wally's, Fulton's, and Thurl's,
(Tiki Room) are considered "outdated" because modern audiences don't know
them. To me, that is their appeal! I prefer to associate a voice ONLY with a
character than with the face of the actor playing the character. It makes the
characters more believable and real for me, because they only exist in the
fantasy world and have fewer ties to the "real" one.

Apparently, Walt felt the same way. He didn't cast "big names" in his early
Animated Classics, and even stood behind a screen while casting so he
wouldn't be influenced by visual appearance.

But Ei$ner seems to have no respect whatsoever for Mr. Disney's Legacy or the
company's rich tradition or heritage - the things that made Disney great and
made most of us fans in the first place. Remember, this is the guy who almost
closed the Animation Department when he first took over, and said DL's
Peoplemover was replaced with the Rocket Rods because he was a Type-A person
who was in a hurry and preferred the fast-paced to the leisurely. Never mind
what the customers want, or people of ALL ages who want to experience the
parks together, as was Walt's original plan. (Actually, I love thrill rides,
but that's not why I go to Disney, and I don't want them as replacements for
non-thrill rides, only as additions).

Sadly, from a "purist" point of view, I suspect things will get worse
than they are now before they get any better.

Why not be done with it and stop hiding behind pretend admiration for Walt.
Change the name to "The Michael Ei$ner Company", because that's really what
they are right now. And get rid of that "outdated" statue of Walt and Mickey.
A more appropriate "updated" choice would be Scrooge Mc Duck and Michael,
each grinning devilishly from ear to ear, holding as many bags o' money and
Mc Donald's products as their grubby little hands can carry!

-David S.

SAVE TOAD! www.savetoad.com

"Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple
reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the
reach of time."

"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of
the past."

"There's enough land here to hold ALL the ideas and plans we can possibly
imagine."

-Walt Disney

MSkott80ss

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
Give credit where credit is due, if it wasn't for Eisner, the Disney company
could have been split up and taken over. I don't agree with closing rides, i
hate it, but he has done some good.

ENTROPYM

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
>The rumors of "changes" to the Haunted Mansion are somewhat disturbing to
>me. The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, and I could think
>of nothing therein that needs improvement.
>
>SUGGESTION TO DISNEY: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!
>
>DCD

I wouldn't sweat it too much. A while ago, Disneyland's Haunted Mansion got a
rehab. They added a really cool ghost piano player playing the funeral march
and the ghost bride says "I DO" in a creepy ghost voice. BTW, what happened to
the hidden Mickey in the plates in the ball room?

On the other hand, your Tiki room now REALLY SUCKS. I'm praying that our Tiki
Room doesn't get the same lame treatment.
Mickey M.
"If a President lies to the American people, he should resign."
William Jefferson Clinton, 1974

SLChris

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98

ENTROPYM <entr...@aol.com> wrote in message
199809030601...@ladder01.news.aol.com...

Actually, they have said they might turn the DL Tiki room into a food court.

Keep 'em Coasting!

SLChris
Webmaster
_____________________________________
The Lift Hill Megasite(TM)
http://www.lifthill.com/

SJC

Jan 12, 2022, 4:33:09 PM1/12/22
On Thursday, August 27, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jenn Mandelion wrote:
> DCD wrote:
> >The rumors of "changes" to the Haunted Mansion are somewhat disturbing to
> >me. The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, and I could
> think
> >of nothing therein that needs improvement.
> >
> >SUGGESTION TO DISNEY: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!
> I know the rumor came from a reputable source... but I don't buy it!
> Lots of stuff at WDW has completely sucked lately... and even tho I don't
Again, as with before, 25 years.. I agree wuith you and Jenn (David S., I think yiou were on the ROB PLAYS-MIDWAY TO MAIN STRET Youtube channel on the differences between WDW/DL haunted mansion, explaining the reason behind the stretching rooms's differennces), and yet again, totally agree, Jenn.. Jenn, the Pirates was done around 1966, Mansion in 1968-69...