Leader in Generation X, not Next

John Todd

Jan 24, 1995, 3:47:39 PM1/24/95
In article <3g3i01$q...@portal.gmu.edu>, rwa...@glue.umd.edu (Rachel K.
Warren) wrote:

> Paige: Wants to be team leader. Her problem is that she is hot-headed, and
> doesn't think ahead. This is why she keeps on getting beaten on.
> She might just need some more field practice to overcome this fault
> but how much more can you give until she kills herself accidentally?
> On another note, I think she is also trying to become someone that
> she is not. I think if she would be herself, this would also improve
> her chances of being team leader.
i don't want to see her as the 'official' leader or whatever. i want
someone else get it and see what paige does to try to account for her being
"skipped".
> Synch: Thinks he has total control over his abilities, but probably not quite
> as much as he thinks he does. He also probably needs more field
> experience. He does seem to get along with everyone.
> Might have the best chance of being team leader.
of all of them, he's the definite pick. he's got self-assurance, a good
feel for his abilities, on-the-spot resourcefulness, a great attitude, and
everyone likes and respects him. this could change on paige's behalf if
he's picked as leader.
> Jubilee: Has had the most field experience, knows how to control her powers,
> and seems to have some good sense. Been around Wolverine, so this
> is a plus and a minus. The plus side is that she probably has learned
> good self-defense and offensive techniques. The bad side is that
> she seems to have gotten a bit of his wildness. Take trying to hit
> Gateway, for example. She is also the youngest (debatable, though),
> and though she can control her powers, she hasn't tried to live up
> to her "full potential". All she needs to do is grow up some, and
> not be so afraid of her powers.
too young. it's just not feasible thatolder teens will take orders (or
even fully repect) someone who's a lot younger than they are.
> Skin: Needs to get out of his sulking. I'm sorry your skin is "messed" up,
> but thats life. He could become the heart and soul of the team. Don't
> ask me why, I just for some reason feel this way.
please. if you were a decent looking person when you went to bed and then
woke up with an extra six feet or so, of what appeared to be melting skin,
i don't think that you would be too up on life or much else. i like skin
for the reason that he's not the "sensitive" one. he's angry about what's
happened to him and i think that is a very realistic portrayal of someone
in that situation. why should he be the "heart and soul" when he has his
own problems to deal with. not everyone is a nightcrawler.
> Chamber: Needs to get out of his sulking too. Nobody really knows him yet,
> so I can't say much. His Alter-X personality would be a good team
> leader, but alas, that is alt-X.
again, i think that not having a lower jaw or portion of your chest, would
lead to a general bad attitude. call me crazy.
> Mondo: N/A
possibly, if what we saw of him in iss. 3 is any indication of who he is.
> Pennance: N/A. We don't know if she even speaks a language.
>
> M: Has good potential to become team leader, if she could just get off
> her high horse. She too perfect, and has this darn "sekret" to her.
> Went into Catatonic state for unknown reasons right now. She does
> have brains and skill. Has a little bit of Paige's shoot first/ask later syndrome, but that can be cured easily, unlike Paige, I would imagine.
> Also seems to kiss up to Banshee a bit. ;)
m's communication skills to her peers are too poor to ever be considered
for a leadership position.
> Blink: BAHAHAHAHA, got you there! Well, you never know!
>
> Did I miss anyone? I don't think I did.
>
> --
> Rachel Warren
> GenX comic book lover
john

Rachel K. Warren

Jan 24, 1995, 1:47:29 PM1/24/95
've thought about this for awhile, so here goes.

Everyone has debated wehter or not so and so shoudl be team leader of GenX.
I think every one of the GenX group could be team leader. Its just which
one is going to fix there major faults first.

[...]

FRANK CALABRARO JR

Jan 24, 1995, 8:19:25 PM1/24/95
In <jtodd1-24...@mac05.roberts.swarthmore.edu>
jto...@cc.swarthmore.edu (John Todd) writes:

>> Did I miss anyone? I don't think I did.
>>
>> --
>> Rachel Warren
>> GenX comic book lover
>john

Well,my guesses are that Jubilee,Skin,Mondo,M,and Penance are out of the
race for leadership.Penance doesn't talk,Mondo is going to be to
relaxed, Skin is to unsure of himself and his powersm,M just doesn't
seem to be the leader type and probably couldn't care less.And though
Jubilee is the most experienced,she is still immature,and is afraid to
use her powers to the fullest...plus she's a little wild.
Now that leaves Synch,Paige,and Chamber.Paige has a one in a million
shot as becoming team leader in the near future.She's too unexperienced
and over confident and VERY foolish in battle,so I don't give her to
great a chance.
I think it will come down to Chamber and Synch.Synch is
confident,actually over confident.He can use his powers well and
couragous.He is very down to earth and smart.He lacks battle
aggressiveness,as well as spirit.
Chamber is not in control of his powers,ot confident and pretty much
sulks away from the team.But as shown in Generation X #3,he is smart,
trustworthy,commanding,intuitive,aggressive,surprising,quick
thinking,and takes the initiative.
I think these two will try to both take leadership roles and it will
come down to these two guys.

!!!!DEADPOOL!!!!

Jackhammer

Jan 24, 1995, 8:05:45 PM1/24/95
In article <jtodd1-24...@mac05.roberts.swarthmore.edu>, jto...@cc.swarthmore.edu (John Todd) writes:
> In article <3g3i01$q...@portal.gmu.edu>, rwa...@glue.umd.edu (Rachel K.
> Warren) wrote:
>> Paige: Wants to be team leader. Her problem is that she is hot-headed, and

She wants to be team leader? Okay, I'm admittedly a newbie to the baby-mutant
books, but are the leaders of them usually the teachers? I mean, with the New
Mutants, I figured the leader was Xavier, Magneto, and then Cable. With
X-Force, it was Cable. Cannonball didn't become a leader in X-Force until the
teacher went away. Therefore, I would assume that Banshee and Frost are the
leaders of Generation X regardless of Paige's desires.

As I said, I never read the New Mutants much. Were they in the habit of
assigning team leaders from the student-ranks?

nick
jmn...@tntech.edu

Mike zimbouski

Jan 24, 1995, 10:47:39 PM1/24/95
Christopher Bird (cb...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
: JOHN! John could *never* be leader of Gen-X. He's just too worried
: over his forthcoming operation to remove his vibranium spine (source
: of all his pain). If the operation succeeds, he won't be a hero
: anymore. If it doesn't, he'll just still have the problem of absorbing
: sound-and the most important facet of a leader is the ability to communicate!

And don't forget the scene where (I disremember the issue number) he was left
alone in the computer room and began communicating with a hooded figure on the
screen...who wants to bet he turns out to be a plant from Shinobi Shaw's
new Hellfire Club? This would follow along with New Mutants tradition, as they
were one of the NM's earliest foes.

Mike Z
--
"All is a procession, the universe is a procession in perfect and measured
motion." --Whitman

Christopher Bird

Jan 24, 1995, 7:23:30 PM1/24/95
> > M: Has good potential to become team leader, if she could just get off
> > her high horse. She too perfect, and has this darn "sekret" to her.
> > Went into Catatonic state for unknown reasons right now. She does
> > have brains and skill. Has a little bit of Paige's shoot first/ask later syndrome, but that can be cured easily, unlike Paige, I would imagine.
> > Also seems to kiss up to Banshee a bit. ;)
> m's communication skills to her peers are too poor to ever be considered
> for a leadership position.
> > Blink: BAHAHAHAHA, got you there! Well, you never know!
> >
> > Did I miss anyone? I don't think I did.
> >
> john

JOHN! John could *never* be leader of Gen-X. He's just too worried
over his forthcoming operation to remove his vibranium spine (source
of all his pain). If the operation succeeds, he won't be a hero
anymore. If it doesn't, he'll just still have the problem of absorbing
sound-and the most important facet of a leader is the ability to communicate!

(Wonder how many newbies don't know about this rac. tradition yet?)

"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai

JOSH MORE

Jan 24, 1995, 9:12:48 PM1/24/95

first of all I want to appologize for not quoting, I can't use the
editor on this system. (Darn parity)

I think that Sean will be team leader until, about issue 20+. He
seems to be in control, and as you stated, no one seems able to
fill the role yet. SOme additional comments:

M: No way, no how. She is way to independent and arrogant to
be a leader. How ever, I think that she is a _lot_ more
like the white queen than she thinks she is. I sense a
good plot development here.

Paige: Hmm, needs more training. probably best suited for a non
leader role. <she can turn into acid!> Just had to add
that. :)

Jubes: I think she picked up a "I'll defy you anytime, anywhere"
from hanging around Wolvie. Would not make a good team
leader. ex. "All of you pile on that guy over there,
I'll be at the mall."

Skin: Good possiblity. Not very good with his powers, not arrogant.
Easy going. Ditch the smoking and he'd be good. (Remember
Sam from NM 1-(c)35?)

Chamber: Better possibility. If he loses the body and becomes a
roving ball of energy he'd have possibilities. On a
similar vein Does anyone in the Marvel Universe have
vital organs?

Penance: Umm, is she even human. No basis for judgement.

Blink: She'll come back darker, and then could be in contention.

Synch: Not a good leader, interesting power tho.

The Scrable board: Currently the best possibility. :)

'Nuff for now.

PS: sig temporarily misplaced. use this one.
--
Is is line noise, or in code?
+_(#^$)%(*(@fskjfd9)&%j5--0w38li&%oI#;lkP)84

ai...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA, jm...@heartland.bradley.edu

Vorpal Bunny(TM)

Jan 25, 1995, 8:58:37 AM1/25/95
Mike zimbouski (tr...@bu.edu) wrote:

: Christopher Bird (cb...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
: : JOHN! John could *never* be leader of Gen-X. He's just too worried
: : over his forthcoming operation to remove his vibranium spine (source
: : of all his pain). If the operation succeeds, he won't be a hero
: : anymore. If it doesn't, he'll just still have the problem of absorbing
: : sound-and the most important facet of a leader is the ability to communicate!

: And don't forget the scene where (I disremember the issue number) he was left
: alone in the computer room and began communicating with a hooded figure on the
: screen...who wants to bet he turns out to be a plant from Shinobi Shaw's
: new Hellfire Club? This would follow along with New Mutants tradition, as they
: were one of the NM's earliest foes.

Sigh...that wasn't someone from the Hellfire CLub...it was actually
Heironymous Bosch, the third Summers brother.

--
\\ \\ /\-------------------------------------------------------------/\ SP
\\-\\ |Daily Orange Staff Writer + Keeper of the Forbush Man Flame \ O

Nightcrawler

Jan 25, 1995, 9:06:38 AM1/25/95
In article <3g4c30$1...@news.asu.edu>, jm...@aztec.inre.asu.edu (JOSH MORE)
wrote:

> The Scrable board: Currently the best possibility. :)

The Scrabble board? Come on now! One of those elves from #4 would be the
best choice. Or one of those leprechauns that appear randomly in these
posts. And whoever it is, they should always have candy canes nearby. And
a maple tree. Yeah, that's it. There can't be a team leader without a
maple tree. In fact, there can't be a Generation X/Next without a maple
tree. =D

Nightcrawler
Hopefully posting more often, so I can get a Squiddie
Keeper of the Bamf Doll Flame

P.S. If it's not too much trouble, could someone throw together a Bamf
Doll FAQ? It's been in Excalibur lots, and Uncanny a bit, but I hear that
there are earlier appearances...

John Todd

Jan 25, 1995, 4:25:51 PM1/25/95
In article <1995Jan25...@exodus.valpo.edu>, kew...@exodus.valpo.edu
(Kate the Short) wrote:

> In article <1995Jan24....@atlas.tntech.edu>, jmn...@tntech.edu (Jackhammer) writes:
> > She wants to be team leader? Okay, I'm admittedly a newbie to the baby-mutant
> > books, but are the leaders of them usually the teachers? I mean, with the New
> > Mutants, I figured the leader was Xavier, Magneto, and then Cable. With
> > X-Force, it was Cable. Cannonball didn't become a leader in X-Force until the
> > teacher went away. Therefore, I would assume that Banshee and Frost are the
> > leaders of Generation X regardless of Paige's desires.
> >
> > As I said, I never read the New Mutants much. Were they in the habit of
> > assigning team leaders from the student-ranks?
>

> Actually, yes. From the very beginning, pretty much. And that goes a long way
> to explain X-Force as well.
>
> In the beginning, we had the New Mutants. They were replacement X-men for the
> ones Charles (thought he) lost to the Brood. The team leaders were Psyche (who
> later changed her codename to Mirage), and Cannonball.
don't for get that karma was the original leader, until she was kidnapped.
i was always sort of shocked about how she never contested the leadership
role upon her return.
Now, it's true Dani and
> Sam both had some problems with their powers, but they were new. They needed
> some time to work it all out. Sure, Xavier was the team *teacher*, but he was
> not the leader. Now, when Mags came through he tried to put a bit more of a
> damper on the kids, but still, he was not the team leader. When the team were
> in a crisis situation by themselves, they always looked to Dani and Sam for
> their leadership abilities. When Cable came by, the team was still in a state
> of shock from Inferno and all that other crap. They had sort of merged with
> the X-Terminators (who led the X-terms anyway? I forget. Rusty, maybe), who
> eventually accepted Sam as the leader of the combined team. Cable just sort of
> took over in the coordinatior/trainer/teacher role.
>
> Now, when Xavier came back, there was a confrontation between him, Cable, and
> Sam. In the end, it was Sam, the team leader, who told Xavier who the team was
> going to follow, what principles the team was going to follow, and why they
> were going to follow them. In that way X-Force broke from Xavier's tutelage,
> though they still remained a relative of the X-families. IT was just that they
> grew up. Sam is still the leader of X-Force, but since the team is adult now
> and since Cable and Domino have much more battle experience, the three of them
> lead the team together, in different ways depending on who is around for
> different situations.
other than the karma ommission, this was a great post.
john

Kate the Short

Jan 25, 1995, 1:12:05 PM1/25/95
In article <1995Jan24....@atlas.tntech.edu>, jmn...@tntech.edu (Jackhammer) writes:
> She wants to be team leader? Okay, I'm admittedly a newbie to the baby-mutant
> books, but are the leaders of them usually the teachers? I mean, with the New
> Mutants, I figured the leader was Xavier, Magneto, and then Cable. With
> X-Force, it was Cable. Cannonball didn't become a leader in X-Force until the
> teacher went away. Therefore, I would assume that Banshee and Frost are the
> leaders of Generation X regardless of Paige's desires.
>
> As I said, I never read the New Mutants much. Were they in the habit of
> assigning team leaders from the student-ranks?

Actually, yes. From the very beginning, pretty much. And that goes a long way

to explain X-Force as well.

In the beginning, we had the New Mutants. They were replacement X-men for the
ones Charles (thought he) lost to the Brood. The team leaders were Psyche (who

later changed her codename to Mirage), and Cannonball. Now, it's true Dani and

[...]

This goes back to the times when Scott was chosen as a leader in Xavier's stead,
waayyyy back in the single digits (it was a recent Early Years issue). It also
is of note that when Xavier *did* get his legs back and *did* want to be the
team leader, there were struggles and conflicts. Cyclops and Storm were the
leader and backup leader at that point, and so there was some need for Charles
to know that the team could lead itself. IT was a sad lesson for Chuck, but
one that he accepted. He's more of a father figure-- guiding when around, the
giver of advice-- and someone who dearly hopes that his charges don't get
themselves killed. And yet, he knows the teams are in good hands.

kate.
who wasn't going to post *this* much!!! :)

--

| -Kate the Short- (KEW...@exodus.valpo.edu) at Valparaiso University |
| Exclamation Points are the Spice of Life, and the Sorrow of the Reader. |

Joe Helfrich

Jan 25, 1995, 10:10:31 PM1/25/95
jto...@cc.swarthmore.edu (John Todd) writes:

>other than the karma ommission, this was a great post.
>john

Which is why you left it and the one before it in its entirety???

Sorry, I can never resist snide remarks like that. But seriously folks,
**please** delete anthing that isn't directly releavent to what you're talking
about!!

Joe

Josh More

Jan 25, 1995, 5:26:26 PM1/25/95
In a previous posting, Nightcrawler (rfun...@cc.swarthmore.edu) writes:
> In article <3g4c30$1...@news.asu.edu>, jm...@aztec.inre.asu.edu (JOSH MORE)
> wrote:
>

>> The Scrable board: Currently the best possibility. :)
>
> The Scrabble board? Come on now! One of those elves from #4 would be the
> best choice. Or one of those leprechauns that appear randomly in these
> posts. And whoever it is, they should always have candy canes nearby. And
> a maple tree. Yeah, that's it. There can't be a team leader without a
> maple tree. In fact, there can't be a Generation X/Next without a maple
> tree. =D

I think there was an appearance of an OAK tree in one of the more recent
X-men annuals. Never heard of a maple.

Artie's cat would make a good leader. (Did I just claim a flame ?)

--
Gh=67Pu,34#P,89. (13h,06h,A4h) Pop h - U. Cat

Figure it out yourself.
ai...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA

Ah! I have access!

Jan 26, 1995, 2:48:10 PM1/26/95
In article <3g4c30$1...@news.asu.edu>, jm...@aztec.inre.asu.edu (JOSH MORE) writes:
> The Scrable board: Currently the best possibility. :)

Actually, the scrabbe board is Know-It-All in Alter X

:)

--FH, Keeper of Pyro, Bishop & Deadpool's flames.
--
, ',
) , .

Addison Godel

Jan 25, 1995, 7:28:00 PM1/25/95

T>Christopher Bird (cb...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
>: JOHN! John could *never* be leader of Gen-X. He's just too worried
>: over his forthcoming operation to remove his vibranium spine (source
>: of all his pain). If the operation succeeds, he won't be a hero
>: anymore. If it doesn't, he'll just still have the problem of absorbing
>: sound-and the most important facet of a leader is the ability to
>communicate!

T>And don't forget the scene where (I disremember the issue number) he was left

>alone in the computer room and began communicating with a hooded figure on th

>screen...who wants to bet he turns out to be a plant from Shinobi Shaw's
>new Hellfire Club? This would follow along with New Mutants tradition, as the

>were one of the NM's earliest foes.

T>Mike Z

Mike, I was fairly sure that issue in the late 80's made it clear: that
wasn't REALLY Shinobi---it was some ninja (I don't recall his name), and
he was posing as Shinobi! Remember the thought bubble: "That fool
Shinobi will never know what hit him!" Of course, a few issues after
the computer room issue, it was suggested that the john in that scene
was a robot.

Of course with the series cancelled years ago, I doubt we'll ever know
the acutal answer.

---Desperado
---
* QMPro 1.52 * Windows is NOT a virus! - Viruses do something!!!

Michael Triggs

Jan 29, 1995, 11:23:50 PM1/29/95

> Artie's cat would make a good leader. (Did I just claim a flame ?)

Speaking of Artie, I've been doing some rough sketches of an older version of
Artie... I mean, he's been a little twerp since the early days of X-Factor...
Leech has been a little twerp since the Morlock Massacre... When are they going
to grow up a little? I think the X-artists are afraid to age these characters a
little, fearing they will lose their childish appeal... However, the sketches I
drew up of Artie as a "mature" ten or eleven year old aren't bad... I can
picture him riding a skateboard about, attacking bad guys with his mental
pictures...

I haven't attempted to artistically "age" Leech yet, but I have some ideas for
him as well... For example, when is somebody going to try to teach him proper
English? I mean, he is at a private school, so the teachers must be getting
sick of him saying "Leech this, Leech that" all the time...

Why not move Leech and Artie to Generation X? They are at the right age to
begin developing their mutant powers to the next level...

Blaze

Jan 30, 1995, 2:33:02 PM1/30/95
In article <1995Jan30...@eos.bentley.edu>, TRIG...@eos.bentley.edu
(Michael Triggs) wrote:

> Why not move Leech and Artie to Generation X? They are at the right age to
> begin developing their mutant powers to the next level...

their powers are fine. they're in school because leech never developed any
proper communication skills, and artie, while mute, can't read or write.

you're right, though, in that i'd like to see 'em make an appearance
again, especially since scott and jean should be their unofficial
caretakers now.

--
--Blaze
"I'm not from here, I don't belong,

Josh More

Jan 30, 1995, 6:18:20 PM1/30/95
In a previous posting, Michael Triggs (TRIG...@eos.bentley.edu) writes:

>> Artie's cat would make a good leader. (Did I just claim a flame ?)
> to grow up a little? I think the X-artists are afraid to age these characters a
> little, fearing they will lose their childish appeal...

I agree with your thinking (not with what Marvel is doing, or the lack
thereof)

>However, the sketches I
> drew up of Artie as a "mature" ten or eleven year old aren't bad... I can
> picture him riding a skateboard about, attacking bad guys with his mental
> pictures...

Or better yet, have Takai (I've got to check that spelling) pilot with
Artie "gunning" for him. I can see them swooping down making mischief for
everyone. (now, where is that darn cat! :)

> I haven't attempted to artistically "age" Leech yet, but I have some ideas for
> him as well... For example, when is somebody going to try to teach him proper

Umm, could you scan your drawings into JPG and post them in
ALT.BINARIES.PICTURES.CARTOONS? I for one would like to see them.

> Why not move Leech and Artie to Generation X? They are at the right age to
> begin developing their mutant powers to the next level...

Now doesn't seem to be a good time to move them over. Maybe around #20 or
so. However, some occasional "interludes" showing their development would
be welcomed.

--
Gh=67Pu,34#P,89. (13h,06h,A4h) Pop h - U. Cat
Figure it out yourself.

Keeper of the Muffin flame
ai...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA

Mike Lavin

Jan 30, 1995, 7:42:11 PM1/30/95

TRIG...@eos.bentley.edu (Michael Triggs) writes:

>Speaking of Artie, I've been doing some rough sketches of an older version of
>Artie... I mean, he's been a little twerp since the early days of X-Factor...
>to grow up a little? I think the X-artists are afraid to age these characters a
Twerp? I hope you mean this is some little-used-but-affectionate
sense. On the other hand, anyone who entitles their post "Bring Back
Artie & Leech" can do no wrong in my book. Waytago, pal. Your
membership application is in the mail.

>little, fearing they will lose their childish appeal... However, the sketches I
I would say this is the main reason, yes. It would be nice to
see them grow up, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of them as children
first. Remember, Marvel Time crawls at a snail's pace.

>drew up of Artie as a "mature" ten or eleven year old aren't bad... I can
>picture him riding a skateboard about, attacking bad guys with his mental
>pictures...

Fine with me, but Artie actually is about 11 or 12. He was 11
when his powers manifested. OHATMU '89 Update describes him as
"autistic," which sounds very wrong to me. I think what they were
trying to say is that the trauma of his transition caused him to
revert to a nonverbal, toddler-like state. On the other hand, his
emotional stability, courage, and understanding of adult problems
seem to be far beyond his chronological years.

>I haven't attempted to artistically "age" Leech yet, but I have some ideas for
>him as well... For example, when is somebody going to try to teach him proper
>English? I mean, he is at a private school, so the teachers must be getting
>sick of him saying "Leech this, Leech that" all the time...

Well, Leech has had very few appearances since being placed in
the school. The X-Terminators series took place soon after they
arrived, as did the few backup stories we've seen in various annuals.

>Why not move Leech and Artie to Generation X? They are at the right age to
>begin developing their mutant powers to the next level...

Perhaps later, but I think they need to grow up a bit more before
heading to GenX. And as some may remember, I have weighed in on other
posts with my opinion that A&L's powers, when properly developed,
could become quite formidible.

Gee, it seems we've seen a real flurry of A&L threads recently.
And believe it or not, few of them have been started by members of
the Fan Club.

Greenstool,
working to make the world safe for Artie & Leech

Christian P. Counts

Jan 31, 1995, 1:24:32 PM1/31/95

: Speaking of Artie, I've been doing some rough sketches of an older version of

: Artie... I mean, he's been a little twerp since the early days of X-Factor...
: picture him riding a skateboard about, attacking bad guys with his mental
: pictures...

Yikes! I just thought of something scarey. Artie and Leech, when they
are all growed up, will lokk like someones out of Ex-Mutants. Nahhh...
Well.... <duck!> Missed me! (=--
C. Paul Counts "Now some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate and for
those I cannot disagree, but I never learned nothing from
c...@dana.ucc.nau.edu playing it safe - I say fate should not tempt me."
-<<Keeper of the Ambush Bug Flame>>- Geomorphic Dragon -==(UDIC)==-

Jacob W Michaels

Feb 6, 1995, 2:26:28 AM2/6/95
Johnny Kijai (j...@andrews.edu) wrote:
: GOH LING TSIANG (fba2...@leonis.nus.sg) wrote:

: : just wanted to add that i think chamber is the best candidate, too. And,
: : fyi, the '95 fleer ultra chamber team card has banshee saying that
: : chamber was "born leader", somethin like that.

: : just my few cents worth.

: : vanessa goh

: Call this my personal opinion, but Synch would be the best
: leader in terms of abilities because he can 'tune' his aura to
: the mutant powers around him, and he could easily synch his aura
: to Chamber's powers.

: P.S. In the '94 Fleer Marvel Universe cards it says synch could
: in time become one of the most powerful mutants on earth if he
: could only learn to sustain his powers away from the original
: mutant. This is all just talk, though, since the Mkraan crystal.

Um, didn't he sustain Sabretooth's powers for a while after the Phalanx story?
I remmeber M or Jubes commenting that he was still bulked up. Does he have any
limit yet to the number of powers he synch at a time?

Jacob W. Michaels Keeper of the Hellions Flame

Lloyd Farris

Feb 13, 1995, 6:24:09 PM2/13/95
Here we go with theories:

1) M - It is obvious that she has her own agenda. Even though it has not
been explicitedly said to Banshee and the others, as has been to the
audience (Gen X 1), there are subtle actions that show this. She has
also has too many secrets for anyone to trust her enough to follow her.

2) Chamber- He is the oldest, but the least interactive of the team
(penneance isnt realy a memeber of the team yet. Hopefuly Gen X will
get a more charismatic leader rather then moody one.

3) Jubalee- Most experinced, but most immature. She came here realizing
that she wasn't ready for the responsiblities of being an X-man. It
also could show that she isnt ready to be a leader type. Anyway her
personality never struck me as that of leadership qualities.

4) Skin- Has emotional or physical limitations. While else did he stay
behind when they searched for penance.

5) Mondo- Who? We need to get more then a page of charecteraztion
before we make him leader.

6) Synch- Most powerful. That means nothing when it comes to
leadership. He however is on best terms with all members of team. He
also has shown capability to handle himself in hostile situations.

7) Husk- Trying to hard. Has expectations that are unreal. However
she is dedicated to the dream (you know that human's and mutants living
together in peace thing the bald guy came up with)

I think a co-leadership situation they had in New Mutants would work
well with this group. My choices would be Synch and Husk. What I want
however is meaningless. I think Shadowcat is capable of leading a goup
all by herself and I want her to be the tenth title. (I guess I'd have
better chance at the lottery. --

Mr. David Farris |
ldfa...@ucdavis.edu | GENERIC SIG FILE
UC Davis | PLACE YOUR FUNNY/MEANINGFUL
QUOTE HERE

Ll/Fidonet

Feb 13, 1995, 6:24:09 PM2/13/95

- Gated via FNews

Jason Adam Johnson

Feb 18, 1995, 2:12:47 AM2/18/95
Interesting theories. What I would like to see is Synch made as
the team leader. Banshee appoints him to that position because
of his raw power, amicability with the team, and POTENTIAL.
Husk would be co-leader, this is good for several reasons.
1. The tension in the school would be increased. Husk has a
head start in the leadership arena, but watching her come to
grips with the fact that she may have something to learn from
Synch would be good.
2. I can see a great argument between Paige and Emma Frost.
Husk screaming at Emma for letting Everett lead the team, and
Emma saying the only reason she did it was to test Paige. I see
Frost as having her own agenda with Paige and wanting to train
her in HER image, as opposed to blending philosophy with
Banshee.

Swoop 5-

Jacob W Michaels

Feb 17, 1995, 10:31:36 PM2/17/95
Ll/Fidonet (ez04...@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
: Here we go with theories:

:
Not to seem clueless, but howzabout Emma and Sean? I mean they're kind of
in that leadership role. . . :)

I would hate to see Kitty in her own series, cuz it would probably suck.
I would like to see Kitty and Kurt get some useful teammates in Xcalibur,
not the losers they are stuck with now. I mean Petey's ok but he's not htere
yet. . .and other than that they all stink. Bring in Windshear, and purple
girl. . .they're cool and canada is part of the british empire or something
like that. (eh?) Other than that, I would say cancel that book and bring kitty
and kurt back to the X-Men. . .they could each lead one of the teams. . .

Jacob Keeper of the Hellions Flame

why hasn't emma given GenX some of the Hellions' old uniforms? she probably
has a lot in the closet, they looked cool, and it would cause her more ANGST!

Deejinator

Feb 18, 1995, 4:44:54 PM2/18/95
>not the losers they are stuck with now. I mean Petey's ok but he's not
htere >yet. . .and other than that they all stink. Bring in Windshear,
and purple >girl. . .they're cool and canada is part of the british empire

Actualy, no, we are not part of the British Empire. Canada is completely
independent. We are one of the many Comonwealth Countries, that only have
a loose conection to England. The govenor general plays only a symbolic
role, and has no say in the running of our country.

Aside from that Windshear would probably make a good Excalibur member
(once marvel gets through with this AoA BS) There has been some talk
though of Northstar joining up with the Xmen after it's over. That I
would like to see, oh BTW the Purple Girl became Persuasion in about
issue 74 of Alpha Flight

That Deej Chick
Alpha Flight fan

Rachel K. Warren

Feb 18, 1995, 5:16:48 PM2/18/95
Ll/Fidonet (ez04...@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
: Here we go with theories:

: I think a co-leadership situation they had in New Mutants would work

: well with this group. My choices would be Synch and Husk. What I want
: however is meaningless. I think Shadowcat is capable of leading a goup
: all by herself and I want her to be the tenth title. (I guess I'd have
: better chance at the lottery. --

:
We can dream, we can dream. I'd rather win the lottery than have Shadowcat
have her own series, though. Mebbe Shadowcat should have another mini
though. Then again, with X-book luck, they'd have Mackie write it. Well,
I guess winning the lottery would be best. ;)

: Mr. David Farris |

: ldfa...@ucdavis.edu | GENERIC SIG FILE
: UC Davis | PLACE YOUR FUNNY/MEANINGFUL
: QUOTE HERE

--
Rachel Warren
rwa...@cne.gmu.edu

Lloyd Farris

Feb 20, 1995, 5:18:44 PM2/20/95
: We can dream, we can dream. I'd rather win the lottery than have Shadowcat

: have her own series, though. Mebbe Shadowcat should have another mini
: though. Then again, with X-book luck, they'd have Mackie write it. Well,
: I guess winning the lottery would be best. ;)

I loved to see how he'd involve Gambit, the guilds, and Chandra.
Not that I don't like Gambit, but shouldn't the story be about Shadowcatt
(or for a real life example Rogue) and not but that person.

Amy Pemberton

Feb 21, 1995, 8:40:59 PM2/21/95
In article <3i3pmo$5...@nic.umass.edu>,
Jacob W Michaels <JWMI...@deimos.oit.umass.edu> wrote:

(snip)

>: I think a co-leadership situation they had in New Mutants would work
>: well with this group. My choices would be Synch and Husk. What I want
>: however is meaningless. I think Shadowcat is capable of leading a goup
>: all by herself and I want her to be the tenth title. (I guess I'd have
>: better chance at the lottery. --
>:
>Not to seem clueless, but howzabout Emma and Sean? I mean they're kind of
>in that leadership role. . . :)

Yes, but that is different. They serve the same role as Xavier in X-Men, in
terms of providing strategy, teaching, etc. You also need a field
commander(s), sort of like the leaders of the Blue and Gold Teams. I would go
for Chamber and Penance. Yes, I realize we haven't had much characterization
of Penance. However, I distinctly remember reading somewhere that she was the
type to "change the world". I think they were comparing her to Collosus, who
"let the world change him." I also believe that in the same article it was
stated that she was from Yugoslavia (thus the comparison with Collosus.) If
anyone knows where I might have read this I would like to know. Not much has
really been said about her in Gen X.

Amy Pemberton
a...@cco.caltech.edu

Archangel

Feb 21, 1995, 11:06:04 PM2/21/95
On 17 Feb 1995, GAINES, TJUANA TENIS wrote:

> In article <3hopmp$mnk%mark.ucd...@mobiuscon.com> ez04...@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (Ll/Fidonet writes:

> ACTUALLY MONDO, AT 19, IS THE OLDEST. CHAMBER IS 18. BUT YOU MAKE
> A GOOD CASE FOR COLEADERSHIP OF THE TEAM. MUCH LIKE THAT WHICH
> EXISTS BETWEEN FROST AND BANSHEE. BUT IF ANYONE WILL BE COLEADERS
> IT WILL BE SYNCH AND CHAMBER.
>
> THOUGH M IS STRONG SHE HAS IRRADICT MOODS SWINGS. SHE GOES FROM
> SHE GOES FROM COOL AND CALM TO TANTRUM IN A SECOND. AND THOUGH
> THESE OCCURANCES ARE FEW. IT WOULD ONLY TAKE ONE SUCH EPISODE AT A
> PIVOTAL MOMENT, TO GET HERSELF OR THE TEAM KILLED.
>
> YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT JUBILEE, EVEN THOUGH SHE'S SHOWN SHE CAN THINK
> ON HER FEET, SHE REALIZED SHE WAS NOT READY TO BE AN XMAN LETLONE
> A LEADER.
> >.
> BUT HUSK, SOMEHOW I SEE HER FOLDING IN PRESURE SITUATION.SHE WANTS
> THIS SO BAD, WHEN THE MOMENT FINALLY ARRIVES, SHE'LL SPEND TOO
> MUCH TIME STUDYING THE EMPLICATIONS OF HER ACTIONS SOMEONE WILL
> STEP IN AND MAKE DECISIONS FOR HER. PROBABLY SYNC OR CHAMBER.
> BESIDES, SHE WANTS LEADERSHIP FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS. ITS NOT
> SO MUCH THAT SHE WANTS TO BE A LEADER TO PROTECT THE DREAM. THAT
> MAY BE HER UNDERLYING MOTIVATION, BUT HER PRIMARY GOAL IS TO
> UPSTAGE HER BROTHER, AND SHOW HIM LITTLE SISTER IS JUST AS BRAVE
> TOUGH, AND HEROIC AS HE IS.
>
> AND SKIN STAYED BEHIND, I THINK, BECAUSE RAIN HAS A NEGATIVE
> EFFECT ON HIS POWERS.

First of all lose the caps buddy, it's just a wee bit annoying. I think
that Synch and Husk will probably be co leaders of the team (unless of
course the most reasonable thing occurs and the teachers are the leaders,
not likely though). I believe that Synch has the power and the
intelligence to lead the team, and I also believe that Husk will be co
leader because of strong desire to make something of herself and prove
herself to everone, of course she could just moan and complain until she
gets her way, but that's highly doubtful. I believe that Skin stayed
behind because he was afraid of his skin getting slashed by Penance.

Archangel

Archangel--Blue skinned*************So he say's ta me I can't baby cause yer**
****** ANGEL O' DEATH***************not. YEAH BABY YEAH!!!! (E.M.B.W.B.A.M.)**
ga...@ra.msstate.edu******************Life is like a mutant power, you never***
Mississippi State Univ.***********************know whatcher gonna get*********

ArchangelT

Mar 2, 1995, 1:14:21 PM3/2/95
I agree with the co leadership thing but you guys forgot about M. I think
she has great powers I mean look at her powers she has Rouges power
without suking people dry, and she is as smart as Forge and has the T.K.
powers of Jean. I think she and Synch would be perfect.

Jeff Barrus and Tina Henry

Mar 3, 1995, 10:47:53 AM3/3/95
Why don't we just wait and see, eh? At this point I don't think we know the characters well enough to make a judgement.

-jeff

Johnny Kijai

Feb 1, 1995, 3:43:50 PM2/1/95
GOH LING TSIANG (fba2...@leonis.nus.sg) wrote:

: just wanted to add that i think chamber is the best candidate, too. And,
: fyi, the '95 fleer ultra chamber team card has banshee saying that
: chamber was "born leader", somethin like that.

: just my few cents worth.

: vanessa goh

Call this my personal opinion, but Synch would be the best
leader in terms of abilities because he can 'tune' his aura to
the mutant powers around him, and he could easily synch his aura
to Chamber's powers.

P.S. In the '94 Fleer Marvel Universe cards it says synch could
in time become one of the most powerful mutants on earth if he
could only learn to sustain his powers away from the original
mutant. This is all just talk, though, since the Mkraan crystal.

P.P.S. I'm kinda new here.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj====="No matter how subtle the sorcerer,
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj \_a knife between the shoulder blades
jjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjj \_will seriously cramp his style."
jjjjj jjjjjjjjjj \_ --Vlad Taltos
jjj jj jjjjjj***************\
jjj jjjjjj****************|"Or something to that effect."
jj jjjjjjjjjj | --Johnny A. Kijai
jjjjjj jjjjjjjjjj _/"I love deadlines. I love the sound
jjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjj _/they make as they go whooshing by."
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj _/ --Douglas Adams