Pearls Before Swine: The Good Book

Lynn McGuire

Sep 16, 2021, 3:29:02 PMSep 16
Pearls Before Swine: The Good Book
https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2021/09/16

That is not the Good Book !

Lynn

Dorothy J Heydt

Sep 16, 2021, 4:35:01 PMSep 16
In article <si05ts$655$2...@dont-email.me>,
https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/09/lee-greenwood-bible-christian-publishing.html

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Paul S Person

Sep 17, 2021, 12:00:30 PMSep 17
On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 20:24:51 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <si05ts$655$2...@dont-email.me>,
>Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Pearls Before Swine: The Good Book
>> https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2021/09/16
>>
>>That is not the Good Book !
>
>https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/09/lee-greenwood-bible-christian-publishing.html

Reminds me of an instructive incident when I was in the Army.

I was helping with Vacation Bible School. Well, gotta do /something/
to keep the kids out of trouble in the Summer.

This was a general program, meaning it was dominated locally by people
from denominations that "did not believe in creeds" and never recited
them. I found this out when a teacher's guide noted that the book for
that year was Lutheran and so referred to "the Creed", a concept it
believed would be unknown to most teachers and students.

Fair enough; you don't have to /recite/ them, you just have to /agree/
with them to be orthodox Christians.

Imagine my surprise when each morning began with three "pledges of
allegiance": one to God, one to the Bible, and one to the Church.

That's what "no creeds" meant to these specific people: we make up our
own creeds. And equate God, Bible, and Church. Whoo, boy!
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

John W Kennedy

Sep 17, 2021, 1:25:45 PMSep 17
Lutheran, really? I was under the impression that they were more
small-o-orthodox than that.

Paul S Person

Sep 18, 2021, 12:45:25 PMSep 18
I must have confused you.

/I/ was (am, IMHO) Lutheran.

/They/ were not.

But, if you learn nothing else in the Army, you learn tolerance.