Cow and Boy cliffs

34 views
Skip to first unread message

Night Owl

unread,
Oct 10, 2009, 10:55:56 AM10/10/09
to
So I always assumed that they lived in a farming community. Farming
communities are usually located in large flat area with very few sheer
cliffs right? So where do they live that there farm was built right
next to a sheer cliff? Or is this just a case of "It's just a comic
strip." "I should really just not question why it happens."?

Mike Peterson

unread,
Oct 10, 2009, 12:31:27 PM10/10/09
to

Farm country includes water. The flat areas without cliffs (or
mountains or ravines or gulches) are usually deserts, except where
wells have been sunk.

At the point when you get the cow to the edge of the cliff, you should
stop questioning things and just relax. But farming happens in lots of
places with varied topography -- especially dairy farming.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com
www.weeklystorybook.com
www.weeklystorybook.com/dana

Sherwood Harrington

unread,
Oct 10, 2009, 2:30:17 PM10/10/09
to
Mike Peterson <racs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 10:55?am, Night Owl <other.email...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> So I always assumed that they lived in a farming community. Farming
>> communities are usually located in large flat area with very few sheer
>> cliffs right? So where do they live that there farm was built right
>> next to a sheer cliff? Or is this just a case of "It's just a comic
>> strip." "I should really just not question why it happens."?

> Farm country includes water. The flat areas without cliffs (or
> mountains or ravines or gulches) are usually deserts, except where
> wells have been sunk.

> At the point when you get the cow to the edge of the cliff, you should
> stop questioning things and just relax. But farming happens in lots of
> places with varied topography -- especially dairy farming.

For example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherwoodh/2801592411/

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Night Owl

unread,
Oct 10, 2009, 5:07:16 PM10/10/09
to
On Oct 10, 2:30 pm, Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net>
wrote:

So Cow and Boy is set in Ireland? Also why no fence?

Sherwood Harrington

unread,
Oct 10, 2009, 7:35:13 PM10/10/09
to
Night Owl <other.e...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2:30?pm, Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net>

> wrote:
>> Mike Peterson <racss...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Oct 10, 10:55?am, Night Owl <other.email...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >> So I always assumed that they lived in a farming community. Farming
>> >> communities are usually located in large flat area with very few sheer
>> >> cliffs right? So where do they live that there farm was built right
>> >> next to a sheer cliff? Or is this just a case of "It's just a comic
>> >> strip." "I should really just not question why it happens."?
>> > Farm country includes water. The flat areas without cliffs (or
>> > mountains or ravines or gulches) are usually deserts, except where
>> > wells have been sunk.
>> > At the point when you get the cow to the edge of the cliff, you should
>> > stop questioning things and just relax. But farming happens in lots of
>> > places with varied topography -- especially dairy farming.
>>
>> For example:http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherwoodh/2801592411/

> So Cow and Boy is set in Ireland? Also why no fence?

If you'd prefer an American example of cattle on non-flat terrain, here's
one within about ten miles of my house:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherwoodh/3436254953/

There are actually fences around the cattle pastures near the Cliffs of
Moher, but they are earth and stone, not wire or wood, and don't show up
in the photo.

Night Owl

unread,
Oct 10, 2009, 10:27:03 PM10/10/09
to
On Oct 10, 7:35 pm, Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net>
wrote:

That's a nice picture. Do they have problems with helicopter cats too?

Mike Peterson

unread,
Oct 11, 2009, 8:32:27 AM10/11/09
to
On Oct 10, 7:35 pm, Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net>
wrote:

>


> If you'd prefer an American example of cattle on non-flat terrain, here's
> one within about ten miles of my house:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherwoodh/3436254953/
>

There are those who claim to be able to predict the weather by how
high the cows graze on a hillside. I prefer to watch to see the
percentage of the herd that lies down, which apparently is their
reaction to lowering pressure or rising humidity or something.

Sherwood Harrington

unread,
Oct 11, 2009, 8:57:53 AM10/11/09
to
Mike Peterson <racs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 7:35?pm, Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net>
> wrote:

>>
>> If you'd prefer an American example of cattle on non-flat terrain, here's
>> one within about ten miles of my house:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherwoodh/3436254953/
>>
> There are those who claim to be able to predict the weather by how
> high the cows graze on a hillside. I prefer to watch to see the
> percentage of the herd that lies down, which apparently is their
> reaction to lowering pressure or rising humidity or something.

If any of the ones in that picture were to lie down where they are, they'd
probably roll for a while.

Night Owl

unread,
Oct 11, 2009, 10:24:46 AM10/11/09
to
On Oct 10, 12:31 pm, Mike Peterson <racss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 10:55 am, Night Owl <other.email...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > So I always assumed that they lived in a farming community. Farming
> > communities are usually located in large flat area with very few sheer
> > cliffs right? So where do they live that there farm was built right
> > next to a sheer cliff? Or is this just a case of "It's just a comic
> > strip." "I should really just not question why it happens."?
>
> Farm country includes water. The flat areas without cliffs (or
> mountains or ravines or gulches) are usually deserts, except where
> wells have been sunk.
>
There are large stretches of prairie land that are not sheer cliffs or
deserts in the united states.

> At the point when you get the cow to the edge of the cliff, you should
> stop questioning things and just relax. But farming happens in lots of
> places with varied topography -- especially dairy farming.
>
> Mike Peterson

Yes, but my point is this. In the comic strip you are realistically
not going to build your dairy farm next to a sheer cliff such as a
large canyon with at least a 100 foot drop off with no fences and an
angry killer orca at the bottom.

Mike Peterson

unread,
Oct 11, 2009, 10:37:46 AM10/11/09
to
On Oct 11, 10:24 am, Night Owl <other.email...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 12:31 pm, Mike Peterson <racss...@gmail.com> wrote:> On Oct 10, 10:55 am, Night Owl <other.email...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > So I always assumed that they lived in a farming community. Farming
> > > communities are usually located in large flat area with very few sheer
> > > cliffs right? So where do they live that there farm was built right
> > > next to a sheer cliff? Or is this just a case of "It's just a comic
> > > strip." "I should really just not question why it happens."?
>
> > Farm country includes water. The flat areas without cliffs (or
> > mountains or ravines or gulches) are usually deserts, except where
> > wells have been sunk.
>
> There are large stretches of prairie land that are not sheer cliffs or
> deserts in the united states.
>
Have you lived there? The Missouri and Platte have made substantial
cuts in the prairie, while the areas without major rivers have, for
the most part, (A) sunk wells and (B) do not attempt dairy farming
anyway.

Even those who fly over and look down (physically if not
metaphorically) on the farmland can see the circles of green among the
brown, as well as the vein-like ribbons where rivers cut into the
prairie.

> > At the point when you get the cow to the edge of the cliff, you should
> > stop questioning things and just relax. But farming happens in lots of
> > places with varied topography -- especially dairy farming.

> Yes, but my point is this. In the comic strip you are realistically


> not going to build your dairy farm next to a sheer cliff such as a
> large canyon with at least a 100 foot drop off with no fences and an
> angry killer orca at the bottom.

There aren't a lot of orca in the Missouri, granted.

After they ate all the talking cows, they left.

Night Owl

unread,
Oct 11, 2009, 11:27:21 AM10/11/09
to
On Oct 11, 10:37 am, Mike Peterson <racss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 11, 10:24 am, Night Owl <other.email...@yahoo.com> wrote:> On Oct 10, 12:31 pm, Mike Peterson <racss...@gmail.com> wrote:> On Oct 10, 10:55 am, Night Owl <other.email...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > > So I always assumed that they lived in a farming community. Farming
> > > > communities are usually located in large flat area with very few sheer
> > > > cliffs right? So where do they live that there farm was built right
> > > > next to a sheer cliff? Or is this just a case of "It's just a comic
> > > > strip." "I should really just not question why it happens."?

> > > At the point when you get the cow to the edge of the cliff, you should


> > > stop questioning things and just relax. But farming happens in lots of
> > > places with varied topography -- especially dairy farming.

> > Yes, but my point is this. In the comic strip you are realistically
> > not going to build your dairy farm next to a sheer cliff such as a
> > large canyon with at least a 100 foot drop off with no fences and an
> > angry killer orca at the bottom.
>
> There aren't a lot of orca in the Missouri, granted.
>
> After they ate all the talking cows, they left.

You know what. This is not worth either of our time to argue about.
Just agree that it's a silly comic strip.

Mike Peterson

unread,
Oct 12, 2009, 7:38:08 AM10/12/09
to
On Oct 11, 11:27 am, Night Owl <other.email...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
> You know what. This is not worth either of our time to argue about.
> Just agree that it's a silly comic strip.

Didn't know it was an argument. Kind of hoped some information was
being offered.

Peter B. Steiger

unread,
Oct 12, 2009, 1:24:20 PM10/12/09
to
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 07:55:56 -0700, Night Owl sez:
> So where do they live that there farm was built right next to a sheer
> cliff? Or is this just a case of "It's just a comic strip." "I should
> really just not question why it happens."?

The MST3K mantra works well with comic strips. Embrace the
implausibility.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY
If you must reply by email, you can reach me by placing zeroes
where you see stars: wypbs.**1 at gmail.com.

Sherwood Harrington

unread,
Oct 12, 2009, 1:56:42 PM10/12/09
to
Mike Peterson <racs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 11:27?am, Night Owl <other.email...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>
>> You know what. This is not worth either of our time to argue about.
>> Just agree that it's a silly comic strip.

> Didn't know it was an argument. Kind of hoped some information was
> being offered.

Oh, it was offered, all right. No problem on that end.

Mike Marshall

unread,
Oct 14, 2009, 11:53:04 AM10/14/09
to

Sherwood Harrington

unread,
Oct 14, 2009, 1:21:45 PM10/14/09
to
Mike Marshall <hub...@clemson.edu> wrote:
> http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~hubcap/BRP07-10-09/cows.jpg

Very nice. Especially the red and white one in front.

Alexander Mitchell

unread,
Oct 14, 2009, 4:54:52 PM10/14/09
to
On Oct 10, 12:31 pm, Mike Peterson <racss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 10:55 am, Night Owl <other.email...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > So I always assumed that they lived in a farming community. Farming
> > communities are usually located in large flat area with very few sheer
> > cliffs right? So where do they live that there farm was built right
> > next to a sheer cliff? Or is this just a case of "It's just a comic
> > strip." "I should really just not question why it happens."?
>
There's a lot of cattle ranching in central Arizona. Lots of pretty
sheer cliffs there, too. Think "Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote"
country, with at least some green stuff for the cattle to eat.

Pretty sure the same applies to central New Mexico as well.

Night Owl

unread,
Oct 14, 2009, 6:10:49 PM10/14/09
to
On Oct 12, 1:24 pm, "Peter B. Steiger" <see....@for.email.address>
wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 07:55:56 -0700, Night Owl sez:
>
> > So where do they live that there farm was built right next to a sheer
> > cliff? Or is this just a case of "It's just a comic strip." "I should
> > really just not question why it happens."?
>
> The MST3K mantra works well with comic strips.  Embrace the
> implausibility.
>
> --
> Peter B. Steiger
> Cheyenne, WY

I've decided that your is the correct answer. Thank You.

racs...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 14, 2009, 7:40:13 PM10/14/09
to

Absolutely. When a half dozen people who have actual knowledge of the
subject matter tell you that your assumptions are simply wrong, and
offer examples, explanations and photographic evidence to show that
you're wrong, you should assume that, in fact, you are correct and
that it's all silly fantasy.

Rock on.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages