Cartoonist Paul Coker, Jr. - RIP

D.D.Degg

Jul 29, 2022, 3:52:20 PM7/29/22
Paul Coker, Jr., MAD magazine cartoonist (Horrifying Clichés)
and Rankin Bass character designer (Frosty the Snowman)
and comic strip co-creator (Lancelot, Horace and Buggy)
has passed away at age 93.
https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2022/07/29/paul-coker-jr-rip/

Lenona

Jul 30, 2022, 12:20:21 PM7/30/22
Two of my favorite works that Coker illustrated
(these have been reprinted at least once, which is
likely how I got to see them, decades ago):

From issue 191 (1977): "The MAD Guide to Parental
Hang-Ups." I can't find any images, unfortunately,
but you can (sort of) read Tom Koch's text from the four pages here:

https://archive.org/stream/mad-magazine-collection2/Mad%20Magazine%20191_djvu.txt

The lines are out of order!

But anyway, it begins with:

"In addition to being stronger and wealthier
than their children, parents have another big
advantage in moments of conflict between
generations. They have shelves of Child Psychology
books to explain why their kids behave so badly.
On the other hand, kids have never had even one
Parent Psychology book to help them understand
why Mom and Dad do all the kooky things they do.
Until now, that is! Because that void is about to be
filled with - GUIDE TO PARENTAL HANG-UPS."

Some of the better ones:

Parents Have A Hang-Up About...
SCHOOL INTEGRATION

"They encourage you to make friends from minority
groups . . . but they don’t mean really close friends,
like the kind you might bring home."

Parents Have A Hang-Up About...
BEING ON THE DEFENSIVE

"Which may explain why Dad starts pointing out all
of your shortcomings every time you suggest that
he should consider joining Alcoholics Anonymous."

Parents Have A Hang-Up About...
SELF-ASSERTION

"They think you should stand right up in school and tell
your teacher to stop picking on you. 'But, for heaven’s
sake, don’t ever tell her who advised you to do that!' ”

Parents Have A Hang-Up About...
ACCEPTING FAILURE

"That's why you get more pressure to become a
Little League star right after Dad suddenly
realizes he’s becoming a middle-aged nobody!"

Parents Have A Hang-Up About...
REMEMBERING YOUR FRIENDS

"But Mom will never forget that girl you knew slightly—
who had to drop out of school because she got pregnant."

Parents Have A Hang-Up About...
RELIGIOUS TRAINING

"They want you to take it seriously . . . but not
so seriously that you decide to become a Nun."

Parents Have A Hang-Up About...
SEX EDUCATION IN SCHOOL

"Because your Dad assumes that both he and your teacher
got their information from reading the same dirty book."

And, from issue 196 (1978):

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/paul-coker-jr-mad-196-panel-original-art-group-of-3-ec-1978-paul-coker-illustrates-the-three-page-feature-mad-dip-total-3/a/16094-17503.s
(This has three pages - in tiny print, unfortunately -
and is about the art of diplomacy. On the left side
of each strip, you have "the wrong way..." to break
unpleasant news to people. On the right, you have
"the right way." Terrific!)

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Jul 30, 2022, 12:29:48 PM7/30/22
In article <80fba99c-09ac-4a02...@googlegroups.com>,
I always liked his "Horrifying Cliches" series:

https://tinyurl.com/3f8zzyy6
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Lenona

Sep 6, 2022, 7:58:12 PM9/6/22
Well, you can read both features much better, here (as well as the rest of each issue):

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/MAD/Issue-191?id=72951
(A MAD Guide to Parental Hang-Ups, page 26)

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/MAD/Issue-196?id=72956
(MAD Diplomacy, page 14)

And here are the rest!

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/MAD

Lenona

Sep 7, 2022, 10:09:18 AM9/7/22
I might as well mention two of my other favorites.

That is, neither includes Coker, but all of these artists are gone, so there won't be much occasion to mention them again.

From issue 194 (Oct. 1977): "You're an Eternal Optimist If..." (page 24)
https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/MAD/Issue-194?id=72954

Issue 157 (March 1973) "Middle Class Poverty Is..."
https://johnglenntaylor.blogspot.com/2010/03/middle-class-poverty-is.html

Since I didn't remember the latter feature very well, I was a bit shocked by the panel that referred to housekeeping - and then I remembered the date.