Freefall: New Reactor Or New Ship ?

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Lynn McGuire

unread,
Aug 16, 2021, 11:15:58 PMAug 16
to
Freefall: New Reactor Or New Ship ?
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff3700/fc03631.htm

I just figured out that Freefall is very loosely set in Isaac Asimov's
Spacer Universe. You know, where there is 20,000 people on each of the
Spacer planets and a billion robots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Sun

Interesting.

Lynn

Dorothy J Heydt

unread,
Aug 17, 2021, 12:30:01 AMAug 17
to
In article <sff9lc$kqr$1...@dont-email.me>,
The planet we've been visiting since the strip began, anyway: and
it's newly colonized. If (for instance) it had needed
terraforming, the robots would've been sent first and the humans
followed only when it was safe.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Lynn McGuire

unread,
Aug 17, 2021, 2:50:22 PMAug 17
to
On 8/16/2021 11:18 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <sff9lc$kqr$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Freefall: New Reactor Or New Ship ?
>> http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff3700/fc03631.htm
>>
>> I just figured out that Freefall is very loosely set in Isaac Asimov's
>> Spacer Universe. You know, where there is 20,000 people on each of the
>> Spacer planets and a billion robots.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Sun
>>
>> Interesting.
>
> The planet we've been visiting since the strip began, anyway: and
> it's newly colonized. If (for instance) it had needed
> terraforming, the robots would've been sent first and the humans
> followed only when it was safe.

Moving populations between areas is incredibly expensive. It is best to
send a few and grow them there. Or in the case of the Spacers, have a
hard limit of 20,000 people per planet. No limit on the numbers of robots.

Lynn

Thomas Koenig

unread,
Aug 17, 2021, 2:57:58 PMAug 17
to
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Moving populations between areas is incredibly expensive. It is best to
> send a few and grow them there. Or in the case of the Spacers, have a
> hard limit of 20,000 people per planet.

That was Solaria only.

Aurora, and all other worlds, had a much higher population.

Lynn McGuire

unread,
Aug 17, 2021, 3:10:19 PMAug 17
to
Ah, the Solarians probably felt that they were degenerates like Earth.

Lynn

Thomas Koenig

unread,
Aug 17, 2021, 5:35:23 PMAug 17
to
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> schrieb:
Very much so. They pretty much lumped Earthers and Aurorans into
one bucket on that (but held Earthers in much lower regards still).

If you haven't read "Caves of Steel" and "The Naked Sun" yet, do so.
The second was Asimov taking an idea and extrapolating it until it
screamed for mercy, a lot like Niven later.

Chrysi Cat

unread,
Aug 17, 2021, 5:44:21 PMAug 17
to
I highly doubt that it was intentional.

And I highly doubt that the cap on Planet Jean is meant to be
permanent--it's just that humans are incapable of reproducing as fast as
inorganic AIs.

After all, the humans in *this* reality also intend to genetically
colonise left-handed worlds, rather than just sending robots there.

I'm more interested in what I said in one of my Discords on Monday--it
would very MUCH appear we have a winner in the "will Sam dehumanise
Florence or Florence, humanise Sam" contest.

--
Chrysi Cat
1/2 anthrocat, nearly 1/2 anthrofox, all magical
Transgoddess, quick to anger
Call me Chrysi or call me Kat, I'll respond to either!

Lynn McGuire

unread,
Aug 17, 2021, 7:16:49 PMAug 17
to
I read both books back in the 1970s. One of them I bought in England
for 85 pence IIRC in 1973. I lost both books back in The Great Flood of
'89.

Lynn

Lynn McGuire

unread,
Aug 17, 2021, 7:18:15 PMAug 17
to
On 8/17/2021 4:44 PM, Chrysi Cat wrote:
> On 8/16/2021 9:15 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> Freefall: New Reactor Or New Ship ?
>>     http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff3700/fc03631.htm
>>
>> I just figured out that Freefall is very loosely set in Isaac Asimov's
>> Spacer Universe.  You know, where there is 20,000 people on each of
>> the Spacer planets and a billion robots.
>>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Sun
>>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> Lynn
>
> I highly doubt that it was intentional.
>
> And I highly doubt that the cap on Planet Jean is meant to be
> permanent--it's just that humans are incapable of reproducing as fast as
> inorganic AIs.
>
> After all, the humans in *this* reality also intend to genetically
> colonise left-handed worlds, rather than just sending robots there.
>
> I'm more interested in what I said in one of my Discords on Monday--it
> would very MUCH appear we have a winner in the "will Sam dehumanise
> Florence or Florence, humanise Sam" contest.

As Sam said that he is betraying his fellow squids now, it appears that
Florence is humanizing Sam.

Lynn

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

unread,
Aug 17, 2021, 7:38:54 PMAug 17
to
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote in
news:sfhg3l$2ns$3...@dont-email.me:
And neither of the is actually human!

--
Terry Austin

Proof that Alan Baker is a liar and a fool, and even stupider than
Lynn:
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/collection/QaXQkB

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages