27 Nov: Popeye's Mother?

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Nov 27, 2022, 1:10:24 AM11/27/22
https://comicskingdom.com/popeye/2022-11-27

Is this something new that Milholland is establishing?

I thought Popeye's mother was never seen (and presumed dead?) and that
the Granny character was *Poopdeck's* mother, not Popeye's.

Hey, if Popeye's mother *is* around, she, at least, ought to remember
the family name which Poopdeck didn't tell Popeye before sending him
out to get chewing tobacco, and which he had forgotten by the time adult
Popeye rescued him..
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Nov 27, 2022, 1:12:41 AM11/27/22
In article <jugdae...@mid.individual.net>,
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>https://comicskingdom.com/popeye/2022-11-27
>
>Is this something new that Milholland is establishing?
>
>I thought Popeye's mother was never seen (and presumed dead?) and that
>the Granny character was *Poopdeck's* mother, not Popeye's.
>
>Hey, if Popeye's mother *is* around, she, at least, ought to remember
>the family name which Poopdeck didn't tell Popeye before sending him
>out to get chewing tobacco, and which he had forgotten by the time adult
>Popeye rescued him..
>--

Although, come to think of it, Sagendorf introducing Granny should have
resolved that problem anyway..

Your Name

Nov 27, 2022, 1:55:57 AM11/27/22
On 2022-11-27 06:10:22 +0000, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:

> https://comicskingdom.com/popeye/2022-11-27
>
> Is this something new that Milholland is establishing?
>
> I thought Popeye's mother was never seen (and presumed dead?) and that
> the Granny character was *Poopdeck's* mother, not Popeye's.

Popeye's mother, Irene, first appeared in 1951 in the Thimble Theatre
comic strip and the animated "Let's Talk Spinach".
<https://popeye.fandom.com/wiki/Popeye%27s_mother>

> Hey, if Popeye's mother *is* around, she, at least, ought to remember
> the family name which Poopdeck didn't tell Popeye before sending him
> out to get chewing tobacco, and which he had forgotten by the time adult
> Popeye rescued him..

Popeye's surname is "Thesailorman" ... it tells you that in the theme
tune. ;-)

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Nov 27, 2022, 2:03:27 AM11/27/22
In article <tlv1lq$99p$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Interesting, thanks!

I'm pretty sure at least some of that contradicts what Segar established,
but I'm not going to quibble.

Darryl H

Nov 27, 2022, 6:53:55 AM11/27/22
There's even a cameo by Little Iodine in this November 27, 2022 Sunday Popeye strip!

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Nov 27, 2022, 1:05:50 PM11/27/22
In article <71b9b90c-dd4d-4258...@googlegroups.com>,
I didn't catch that, not being very familiar with the character. I went to
look her up in WP, and it says she also guested in the 30 October strip.

Dave Van Domelen

Nov 27, 2022, 1:31:31 PM11/27/22
In article <juggds...@mid.individual.net>,
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>In article <tlv1lq$99p$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
>Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>On 2022-11-27 06:10:22 +0000, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:
>>
>>> https://comicskingdom.com/popeye/2022-11-27
>>>
>>> Is this something new that Milholland is establishing?
>>>
>>> I thought Popeye's mother was never seen (and presumed dead?) and that
>>> the Granny character was *Poopdeck's* mother, not Popeye's.
>>
>>Popeye's mother, Irene, first appeared in 1951 in the Thimble Theatre
>>comic strip and the animated "Let's Talk Spinach".
>><https://popeye.fandom.com/wiki/Popeye%27s_mother>

She's been appearing in the Olive & Popeye strips on Thursdays lately as
well.

>I'm pretty sure at least some of that contradicts what Segar established,
>but I'm not going to quibble.

Randy is a HUGE Popeye fan, and has almost a century of material to
mine. I think his only really new character is the intern, who he introduced
in Popeye's Cartoon Club a few years ago before getting the Sundays gig. The
problem is that like any corporate property that's been around long enough,
there's a lot of contradictions. Randy's been doing a lot of continuity
patching in his strips (e.g. "Sonny" looks like Brutus and Bluto but Sea Hag
does not want to talk about it), but sometimes the only way out is to pick
one possibility and abandon the others. And, of course, even Segar didn't
necessarily maintain the same vision throughout his entire run, and probably
contradicted himself occasionally.

It's a heavy lift, it's be a lot easier to reboot like a lot of legacy
strips do, but Randy's taken on the task of accepting that Popeye's been
active since the early 20th Century and yet somehow hasn't died of old age,
and kids are still kids decades later, but it's all in continuity. Just part
of the absurdity of the strip.

Dave Van Domelen, thinks if Segar were still alive today, he'd say, "Let
me out of this coffin!"

John W Kennedy

Nov 27, 2022, 3:21:40 PM11/27/22
Hey, Segar contradicted himself when he decided to replace Wifflehen
luck with spinach!

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,